Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Exile - Ginyoku no Fam
PostPosted: October 18th, 2011, 5:23 pm 

2nd season of Last Exile. Fam of the Silver Wing. Started airing recently, although subs came by late. It had an international two episode viewing in certain film/anime festivals or something around the world as well.

The story basically shifts to a new set of characters and takes place not too many years after. Apparently Alvis is in the show and doesn't look that much older.
http://www.lastexile-fam.com/chara_alvis_anime.html

Dio is alive and back too.

Its less of a sequel and more of a new story in the same setting kind of dealy.

===

Fam is basically part of a group of Sky Pirates with a certain rule, the First Harpoon - the first person to land a hit gets to lead the rest of the assault. They seem like the chivalrous type, assaulting only warships and the like.

Then you basically have the Kingdom of Turan and the Ades Federation who were at war with each other but were supposed to sign a peace treaty on a certain hallowed neutral ground. The Ades Federation however pulls a fast one on the Turan, waging war on the spot in an attempt to capture the two princesses of Turan. Fam and her Sky Pirates intervene and rescue the princesses, and act that will probably change their very lives.

===

It differs a bit from the first Last Exile in terms of atmosphere. Last Exile had a more grim atmosphere, with the flights having tension and a sense of danger. Also Claus and Lavie were more serious kinds of characters and they ended up tagging on a battleship with pretty serious characters.

Fam and her crew are pretty energetic and rather light hearted. The show starts off with their assault on a warship, and they start off by damaging its engines and then sending a light message to their captain via morse code filled with nothing but harsh insults. They seem to be smiling and all gung ho confident in their attack - there is a certain lack of tension or feeling of danger. Its like yup, they are totally pulling it off no problem, enemy fire all seemingly going off track and they don't really look like they are making an effort to dodge. It might be good to start with, but this could hurt the show if they keep doing it.

Even in their rescue of the princesses from a whole battlefleet, they pull it off pretty easily without breaking a sweat.

Then you got the cast which is largely female. You got Fam and Giselle, the main pair. Fam is the energetic gung-ho type while Giselle is the more soft spoken shy type. Then you got the two Turan princesses, the older more refined Liliana and the younger Milia who has the proud/arrogant streak and a potential 'tsundere' type. With the recent surge in shows just about cute girls doing cute stuff, you could say that Ginyoku no Fam is following more contemporary trends.

Although there are a few males to balance things out, although besides Dio - they seem to be mostly no-name extras. Then there is Fam's dad who seems like he'll play the grizzled battleship captain role that Alex did, overall it just seems a whole lot more light hearted with the female orientated bubbly cast and general atmosphere of things.

Dio seems to have survived the events of Last Exile and seems to be hanging out with the Sky Pirates. He's kinda loopy in a hyperactive head in the clouds sorta way but seems to be getting along just fine.

The Guild seems to be all but gone besides Dio, but the leaders of the Ades Federation sport white hair and are most likely related - as hinted in the OP.

The sky battles evoke a similar feel with the dreamy music, much use of clouds and the CG ships.

Somewhat brighter than the first Last Exile, but they started off the first episode with a bang. Sky battles, princess rescue from battlefleet and establishing a basic plot of the pirates siding with the Turan princesses against the oppressive Ades Federation. I think it is a good start so far and the potential is there.

====

So whoever feels like doing the weekly watch, this can be the weekly discussion thread.

Post subject: Re: Last Exile - Ginyoku no Fam
PostPosted: October 25th, 2011, 11:54 am 

Sorry Storm, I didn't see you had made a thread for this the other day. Otherwise I would have posted here sooner :sweat: .

Well it turns out I saw the first episode a couple of days ago. The music again seems will be one of the high points of the series, same goes for the art and animation. Range Murata is simply the best!!
The story seems like it will be a little more straightforward, they already introduced most of the main characters in the first episode, we'll have to see how the story unfolds later.
I do have one major concern, the main character Fam, her personality doesn't seem to match that of a vanship pilot, it's actually a little bit annoying. It's like she's screaming I'm an anime character don't take me seriously.

Something else I'm not very fond of is the use of nudity in the opening theme, for a second there it seems like this was a cheap magical girl show... not very cool.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
The story basically shifts to a new set of characters and takes place not too many years after. Apparently Alvis is in the show and doesn't look that much older. http://www.lastexile-fam.com/chara_alvis_anime.html
Really!!?!... I just checked! It seems so, that's awesome!

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Dio is alive and back too.
Dio is going to steal the show again it seems.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
It differs a bit from the first Last Exile in terms of atmosphere. Last Exile had a more grim atmosphere, with the flights having tension and a sense of danger. Also Claus and Lavie were more serious kinds of characters and they ended up tagging on a battleship with pretty serious characters.
Excellent point, I'm kind of worried about it too, well have to see how the story turns out to be later I really hope they managed to give it a more serious believable feeling. As you said the lack of the danger takes away the suspense (which I want).
The new vanships (scooters) look really nice but they are way too small. Seriously.

Even so I still have big expectations for this series.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2011, 1:47 am 

Episode 2 does get a bit more tense, but I guess its not quite there yet.

I also think the scooter Vanship is a bit silly.

Having rewatched the first season, I've been thinking about the setting of this season. Have they taken the Exile back to Earth and started anew? Or are they still on Prester? Since evil eyepatch fellow went on about the people who stayed behind and the people who left and came back and eradicating them.

Since Alvis is set to appear, I wonder if Claus and Lavie will make cameo appearances. And I wonder if they will ever reveal why Alvis had all the answers to the Mysteria.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2011, 6:46 pm 

True, the second episode was a lot better than the first one, an all out war was pretty cool for a second episode, however Fam being able to maneuver through it and even through a whole pipe machinery inside an enemy ship was as unrealistic as it can get... I really don't like her character. I hope that can change soon.
So far the story is not very convincing, but it is entertaining. Exile making an appearance so early was really awesome.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 3:27 am 

Now the picture of the setting is clear.

The Federation are composed of the people still living on Earth when the Exiles took off. The Exiles came back and probably forcefully claimed land of their own. Now the Federation seeks to return the lands to their former people through war.

Liliana would be the 'key' to the Turanian Exile in the way that Alvis was to hers. The Federation probably seeks to control the Exiles and use them as weapons, which as we saw in the first Last Exile - a role they are capable of.

The Sky Pirates are more or less a global organization composed of the refugees of the Federation's destruction.

The Turanian Exile probably arrived a fair while ago and so did the others - long enough to establish a whole nation.

Interested to see how Alvis plays into all this and their Exile. I reckon due to their Guild's shenanigans, they probably arrived a fair bit later than the others. Dio must have somehow ended up on the Exile at some point.

It is starting to regain the whole Last Exile feel, with a bigger scope and more drama. It is definitely heading off in a good direction even though I'm note entirely fond of the protagonists.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 2:47 pm 

Episode 3 does clear some questions, but there is one thing bugging me right now, is this the same word we saw in the first series?

Something else, there is so much difference in technology between the old series and this one, that it would make sense if it were a different planet and somehow Dio ended up there.

Once again, the main characters do bother me quite a bit... why do I get a feeling that children are in control of this world, it just doesn't make sense... little girl, big eyes, annoying voice, but she is the leader of the Ades Federation... you can't be serious...

The thing I did like is that contrary to what I thought at first, there is no black and white and the Ades Federation actually have a questionable fair objective.

Oh, the goat doll from the previous series made a cameo on this episode, hehe.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 1:56 am 

Well what I said. This is Earth.

First Last Exile took place on one of many colonies(I had to look this up myself, but the visions in the last episode does hint to this) that humanity has left to using the Exiles, to allow Earth to recover its damaged environment or something. The Exiles were of course intended to bring them back eventually - which they did. The Guilds were meant to control the Exile and bring everybody back when it was time. Of course in Last Exile - Delphine was mad and the Mysterion were all scattered.

It would have been a good plan assuming absolutely everybody left Earth, which seemingly did not happen. Those that got left behind formed the Federation it seems.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 10:00 am 

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Well what I said. This is Earth.

First Last Exile took place on one of many colonies(I had to look this up myself, but the visions in the last episode does hint to this) that humanity has left to using the Exiles, to allow Earth to recover its damaged environment or something. The Exiles were of course intended to bring them back eventually - which they did. The Guilds were meant to control the Exile and bring everybody back when it was time. Of course in Last Exile - Delphine was mad and the Mysterion were all scattered.

It would have been a good plan assuming absolutely everybody left Earth, which seemingly did not happen. Those that got left behind formed the Federation it seems.

I see your point, and it makes sense, it's just that I thought Earth would be as the one one we know it, but seeing several moons in the last episode made me think differently, so it's probably a different world than our Earth or simply a parallel fiction world.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2011, 2:09 am 

Pretty sure those weren't moons, but the Exiles that have returned just floating up there. One had already descended to show us how moon like it can look.

As far as whether its our Earth or not, it already has a cookey alternate retrofuture-future thing going on iwth magical claudia as a miracle fuel source, so it doesn't really matter as much as the fact as humans in the show originated from the planet.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2011, 5:50 am 

There is currently an ongoing Last Exile manga called - Last Exile -Travelers from the Hourglass-.

It takes place right after Last Exile and I assume it bridges the gap between the two animes. Features the original cast right after they land on Earth.

Currently there is a Chapter 0 and 1 done.

Should probably help understand the world more.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2011, 11:26 pm 

I have to watch the episode again, it didn't occur to me those were the exiles.

I read somewhere there was a manga but I thought they were doing everything from the start. Now I'm definitely checking it out. Thanks!

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 4:30 am 

Tatiana Wisla!!!!!!! :wuv: :D I never expected this!!!

At first I saw her and I thought she looked a little bit like her, but then when she walked towards her red vanship of "sexyness" I was floored! *the fanboy in me lives on* I can't complaint anymore!

"It's just some children playing at war" -Tatiana Wisla-

Yea, this sequel is going to be great, I was fearing exactly that, children taking control of "this" world... but I can be at ease now.
It's not just Tatiana, it's Alis and the rest of Sylvanna crew!!!

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 9:20 am 

I didn't recognize anybody on that ship besides Tatiana and Allister. The 'listener' girl was definitely new.

Either way the show definitely spends too much time being airy fairy with the cute girls doing cute stuff.

Which is sadly, what a lot of anime fans are into these days and this caters to them.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 3:23 pm 

Really? they all seemed very familiar to me! But then I haven't seen the original series recently as you did :sweat:
As long as Tatiana and Allis are back I'm content!!

Hey I also did read what's so far been released of Last Exile -Travelers from the Hourglass-!! Thanks! you were 100% correct about your theory.
It all makes so much sense now, but now I really want to watch the first series again to get that feeling of closure.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 12:57 am 

The crew is pretty much all different. I was hoping the garage guys will return, but looks like we get some random beefcake instead.

So Tatiana babysits them darn kids and plays the bad guy to Alis' good guy.

Princess maid whut. I wonder if she stumbled upon some ancient relics known as manga. Girl has some strange ideas.