Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Top 5 of the day!!!
PostPosted: August 10th, 2011, 3:55 am 

Ha yeah Megaupload and the gang I've been going to sometimes for more direct downloads instead of waiting to see if there are enough seeds for a torrent to hurry up :sweat:

PostPosted: September 28th, 2011, 8:46 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
My favorite websites in no particular order.

1.Tetrapod Zoology(all versions) - The best blogs when it comes to all things four-legged and backboned, extant, extinct, or cryptid alike. Even goes in depth with obscure, extinct groups of vertebrates extensively, mesonychids included!
2.Facebook- Not a huge fan of the games featured or the recent changes made with the site, but at least it still keeps me in touch with my buddies and that's all it matters for me.
3. Any video site that has anything that I want to watch at the moment (whether it's Youtube, Google Video, Veoh, Hulu, etc.) If they have whatever I want to watch, they rock.
4.Grooveshark- Listen to pretty much any song you want without downloading. Very convenient.
5.Sci-fi Japan and Anime News Network(tie)- Whenever I need to keep up with the latest news in Japanese media or get my fix in it, I got either of those places.

Now for a new top 5 list! I've thought of one that might interest some of you. Imagine if the time machine does really exist and you can travel at any time you want and witness events/places/etc in the past, present or future. What time event or place would like to visit?...without interfering with the past of course lol. Not gonna get start with the Butterfly Effect argument on this one.

The Top 5 Places or Events You Like to Go Back in Time To!

1. The Mesozoic Era(245,000,000-65,000,000 B.C.)- Obvious reasons. To witness the rise and fall of the dinosaurs (the non-avain ones of course) and see why they're an evolutionary success story.
2. Pleistocene Los Angeles(10,000-38,000 B.C.)- More like the Serengeti rather than the Smug Capital of the World. Not only did it have a rich ecosystem, but it's home to the La Brea Tar Pits, which trapped many unfortunate animals and preserved their bones almost perfectly.
3. Viking Age Scandinavia- Best European culture of the Middle Ages. Granted, they're not the nicest of people, but they sure know how to explore, trade, pillage, battle and have a good time! :gatsu:
4. Tokugawa to Meiji Era Japan- I thought it would be interesting to witness the cultural change in Japan, how it goes from a xenophobic country to an industrial power within such a short time.
5. American Old West- Just everything about it was amazing and influenced not only the USA culturally, but the world as well. After all, the West is truly the Best. :wink:

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 7:54 pm 

Ah a very interesting Top 5...

1.Moises and his ark:I mean 2 of every species?..I would have loved seeing this happen...I mean that ark must have been huge..one of those hard to believe if not seen events I guess...I mean no cameras back than...

2.Samurai's:I mean I can't pinpoint exactly the time ha...I was reading this info before hand but I guess around the end of the 12th century....would have wanted to see how loyal they really were to even kill themselves..and hell they sound cool on paper..would it be the same in person?

3.Croatoan:ha one would like to know the mysteries of life like that lost colony...instead of theories...

4.Jurrasic:I mean who wouldn't want to see the real dinosaurs...not cg recreations...

5.Pirates:beats me what exact time...but I would choose any ruthless pirate and hop on the boat as an observer...

Ha I had so many ideas in mind but I just went on and picked some random ones...in reality one would love to see all how it really happened...no theories...or convoluted mess after who knows how many rewritings of history...

PostPosted: October 15th, 2011, 5:33 pm 
Resident Scholar

Fresnokila wrote:
1.Moises and his ark:

Who's "Moises"? The guy with the Ark is Noah. :lol2:

Fresnokila wrote:
2.Samurais:
I guess around the end of the 12th century

The rise of the Samurai came with the degradation of Imperial power during the Heian period, ca. 800 - 1185 CE, at which time the first Shogunate, i.e. military rule, was erected. So you're pretty much on point.

Fresnokila wrote:
would have wanted to see how loyal they really were

Not loyal at all. If you take a close look at the time between, say, 1200 and 1600, you will see that Samurai, especially of the upper ranks, changed sides whenever they deemed it convenient, especially when economic advantages were available. The much praised and marvelled unwaning Samurai loyalty is a construction, a falsification of history that came into play when the age of Samurai had come to the beginning of its end, during the Tokugawa period after the end of the Warring States period, and the phenomenon was intensified during the short but influencial age of Japanese Romanticism after the last Shogunate had fallen and the Samurai had ceased to exist. Even today this fairy tale lives on in the minds of conservative Japanese and gullible foreigners.

Fresnokila wrote:
and hell they sound cool on paper... would it be the same in person?

Sound on paper? Has anybody sold you bad dope?

Fresnokila wrote:
4.Jurrasic:I mean who wouldn't want to see the real dinosaurs...not cg recreations...

Gojira, please educate this man about the dangers of encountering dinosaurs.

Fresnokila wrote:
5.Pirates:beats me what exact time...but I would choose any ruthless pirate and hop on the boat as an observer...

The age of pirates virtually began with the conflicts over power in the New World in the 16th century, most famous are the endeavors in the Caribbean. In the beginning they were called "Buccaneers", classic piracy came to a peak, a golden age, between 1700 and 1730, afterwards historians rather speak of "Privateers" who ravaged the seas way into the 19th century, with its last significant flickering during the American Civil War. The pirate of the modern age can mostly be found in the western parts of the Indian Ocean.

Definitions are vague but I seem to understand that buccaneers and privateers work under contract for a government which is at war and grants anyone who provides a ship and a crew amnesty for exclusively attacking ships of the respective other nation, while pirates operate outside of any national or international law. (Working for a company like Blackwater should be comparable to privateering, but with better pay.)

In general you should not succumb to romanticism, because the life of a pirate was always a piece of shit. Discipline had to be brutal and when no suitable target could be found life was endlessly boring, confined to a ship in the middle of nowhere and dependant from the weather, which was a life or death matter.

Osprey Publishing offers at least three titles about pirates in their "Elite" series, check them out if you will.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2011, 11:28 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Fresnokila wrote:

Gojira, please educate this man about the dangers of encountering dinosaurs.

I'll be happy to do that! :D

The dangers of encountering dinosaurs would depend on where you're at, what specific epoch you're in and what species of dinosaur you're dealing with. The Jurassic Period had three distinct epochs such as the Early Jurassic(200-177 million years ago), the Middle Jurassic(176-161 million years ago) and the Late Jurassic(160-145 million years ago).

The Early Jurassic was when the dinosaurs started to become the dominant animals in many ecosystems after some of the major archosaur groups became extinct during the end of the Late Triassic(228-201 million years ago) and occupied their ecological niches. They became larger than their Late Triassic counterparts, but not as large as their descendants in the Later Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods(will get to the latter in a minute). The only real dangerous dinosaurs you'll most likely to encounter in the Early Jurassic are Dilophosaurus and Cryolophosaurus. While being famous as the "Spitter" in Jurassic Park, there is no fossil evidence for Dilophosaurus having the ability to spit venom nor sporting an elaborate neck frill. Also, the real-life animal was much larger than its movie counterpart, reaching a length of 20 ft long, 10 ft tall and weighing close to a half a ton. Its jaws are too weak to use on large, struggling prey, which suggest Dilophosaurus may have been a fish-eater, scavenger and/or hunter for small prey. However, it could kill you by kicking and slashing you with its sharp claws. Cryolophosaurus was similar to its North American cousin, but it lived in Antarctica(which was much warmer at the time).

By the Middle Jurassic the dinosaurs start to get bigger and a little more meaner, though what is known from this time is still a mystery due to its lack of rich fossil content. As the predatory theropod dinosaurs become more fierce, so does their prey, especially Shunosaurus and its powerful tail-club.

The Late Jurassic... oh boy. You better be on your guard, especially if you're in the western United States at this time. This was a haven for many large theropod predators:
Ceratosaurs(20 ft long, 8 ft tall, 1 ton)
Allosaurus(28-40 ft long, 10-12 ft tall, 2-3 tons)
Torvosaurus(30-36 ft long, 10 ft tall, 2-3 tons)
Saurophaganax(41 ft long, 12-14 ft tall, 4 tons)

Don't let their size fool you. These predators are fast on their feet(thanks to their bipedalism); have razor, sharp teeth that can rip huge chunks of flesh causing prey to die from shock and blood loss(like sharks' teeth and are also replaceable); and have massive, meat hook-like claws on their forearms that are used to grasp struggling prey

The herbivores shouldn't be taken lightly as well. The large sauropods such as Apatosaurus(formerly known as Brontosaurus), Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus, and Camarasaurus would squish you if don't stand in their way or agitate them. And not to mention that Stegosaurus(my favorite dinosaur) has a double pair of 3 ft long spikes (thagomizers) on the end of its tail(though the tail swinging biomechanics and the flexible dorsal plates were errors, but you get the idea how the thagomizers were used).

Those are the most dangerous animals you'll encounter in the western US during the Late Jurassic, but you can read more on how diverse the place was here or read John Foster's Jurassic West: The Dinosaurs of the Morrison Formation and Their World. I could go on about the other Late Jurassic dinosaurs that lived in Tanzania, Portugal, and China, but that would take too much time and besides they're pretty much similar to the ones found in the western US. However, Late Jurassic Germany is pretty safe, which might fit 42317's fancy. :lol2:

So Fresno, if you want much more dangerous dinosaurs such as the tyrannosaurs, dromaeosaurs (aka the raptors), troodonts, therizinosaurs, spinosaurs, carcharodontosaurs, abelisaurs, ceratopsians, and advanced ankylosaurs, go to the Cretaceous Period(144-65 million years ago) instead. :wink:

Edit: 1,000TH POST! HOORAY!!!

PostPosted: October 16th, 2011, 2:47 am 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
Sound on paper? Has anybody sold you bad dope?

All dope is bad dope, son.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2011, 8:54 pm 
Major Contributor

On the side note, 42317's responses remind me of Tom Servo's historical accuracy during the medieval costume sketch in The Magic Sword episode of MST3K.

(Just watch it at the 40:09-43:09 mark.)

Not trying to be mean or anything, but I'm just making a comparison. That's all. :lol2:

As for a new top 5, I'll hold off a new one just so someone else can have a turn. If not, I'll just go ahead and make another one.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2011, 8:49 am 

Haha this last top 5 has been quite informative...and cool on paper I guess would be manga paper :gatsu:

PostPosted: November 21st, 2011, 1:58 am 
Major Contributor

The video I posted on the YouTube thread has inspired me to come with the Top 5 Fantasy Matches You Personally Want to See!!! It could be fights between your favorite fictional characters from any movie, tv show, anime, manga, video game, comic, novel, etc. It could also be with any persons (historical and famous) or beasts (extant and extinct alike).

Here's my list!

1. Godzilla vs. Gamera: Two of Japan's most popular kaiju deserve their own showdown and a fair too since the Toho kaiju are way stronger than their Daiei counterparts. By evening them up power-wise, it would be a worthy match.

2. Ultraman vs. Daimajin: The fact that Ultraman is a alien giant superhero that pulls from his own ass going against Daimajin, an immortal, samurai-golem deity with supernatural powers would be a very interesting match.

3. The Sailor Senshi vs. The Magic Knights Since Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth are both popular magical girl series, so it's only fair for them to duke it out.

4. Gurren Lagann vs. Belcross (from Heroic Age) A godly mech against a godly creature would an epic battle on an intergalactic scale.

5. Epic Beard Man vs. Chris-Chan and Sonichu Just seeing an elderly, badass Vietnam War veteran beating the shit out of a creepy, vile, perverted man-child and his unimaginative, copyright infringing creature would bring a smile to my face.

I'll list some honorable mentions later, since I have too many of them and my phone needs charged lol.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 3:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
3. The Sailor Senshi vs. The Magic Knights Since Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth are both popular magical girl series, so it's only fair for them to duke it out.

Would be somewhat interesting but it would mean going out of character at an impossible scale. Apart from that you know how on-point Usagi always is when it comes to identifying allies amongst strange new kids on the block. :lol:

Remembering an old Hentai Dôjinshi from the SailorX anthology I thought that SailorMoon vs Predator would be interesting... and what do you know?
It's already there (no Hentai, though). :mrgreen:

SailorMoon vs. Project A-Ko is somewhat feasible. Why? Because both Anime have been converted into RPGs using the same 3-stat-system. I bought the SailorMoon RPG, a former friend bought A-Ko and we compared battle techniques: In the SailorMoon RPG there are no weapons apart from what people like Endymion, the Moonlight Knight, or Tuxedo Kamen would use; SailorSenshi only have non-lethal attacks while SailorMoon herself has these "cleaning" or "enlightenment" spells. It was fun, however, to see that "Moon Healing Escalation" does the same amount of "damage" in terms of dice as an anti-tank-bazooka in the A-Ko RPG. :lol:

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 2:59 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Remembering an old Hentai Dôjinshi from the SailorX anthology I thought that SailorMoon vs Predator would be interesting... and what do you know?
It's already there (no Hentai, though). :mrgreen:

Ah, Mugen. Fun stuff, but a very complicated program. And the SailorMoon vs Predator match was hilarious, but it's not as epic as this battle!!! Suddenly it makes me feel like a SailorMoon/Gamera crossover fic, but I can't write worth to save my life! =P

Does every fantasy match need d20 stats all of a sudden? :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17