Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hetalia: Axis Powers
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 9:49 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I'm very surprised that Hetalia: Axis Powers has been mentioned very little on this forum despite of its huge popularity in the anime fandom, hence I created this topic for. My curiosity in this series started on January when I went to the Ohayocon in Columbus, I saw quite a bit of fans dressed up as some of the characters from Hetalia and they were mostly female. I wanted to know, what the heck is so special about this show? Ironically, my anime club had this series on its watching queue and now I begin to see why. I have mixed views on this show, but I'll get to that in a sec.

I'm pretty sure most of you here have already heard of this series, so I'll give a brief summary to those unfamiliar with Hetalia(which means that you've been living under a rock, anime-wise). It's pretty much about anthropomorphized versions of world countries humorously reenact political and historical events allegorically. That's pretty much it.

The reason why my views on the show were mixed are because I both praised and criticize the overall premise. I praise it because it is an original concept and I liked how they interpret historical events in a light-hearted and comedic fashion (in spite of the huge amount of human causalities). I criticize it because of the large amount of fanservice (both implied AND explicit). A lot of the stuff in Hetalia seems to be catered to the shounen-ai/yaoi fandom, which is rather egregiously irritating if you as me. Then again there's Nyotalia, which all the countries are female, which is even I guess... Also, there seems to be a HUGE bias in the countries depicted in the series. Where's Australia? Where's the African and South American countries? They seem to focus mostly on European, Asian and North American countries which is rather unfair if you ask me. That and the stereotypes seemed a little too racist at times and some of the jokes didn't make me laugh. Overall, I think it's a decent series and I can only recommend it to anyone is into world history and/or into bishi guys for that matter.

So what do you think of this series?

Post subject: Re: Hetalia: Axis Powers
PostPosted: September 30th, 2011, 9:44 am 

Although it was somewhat amusing, it was also brain rottingly stupid. Also so historically inaccurate and politically incorrect that it can't qualify for historical satire.

Its pretty much just utterly random arse shit with personifications of countries. With yaoi-fanbait.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 10:32 am 
Major Contributor

^To be honest, I totally agree with that. The whole premise of the show seems to become lost once you know that it's merely an excuse for yaoi-fanbait. That, and Hetalia is still racist both stereotypically and bias (where the fuck are the non-European/Asian/North American nations in this series?!?)

If I told my actual opinion to any one of my friends at anime club, they would kill me...or just get hit in the head with a ruler...or get into a fruitless argument...or something else...

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 2:17 pm 

I wouldn't really call it racist. It doesn't even make fun of usual racist stereotypes! It is just.... severely misinformed.

If it was trying to be racist funny, I'd expect Britain to be sipping tea and twirling a cane - not munching on burgers. Why the hell is Britain munching on burgers anyway?

PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 9:46 pm 
Major Contributor

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I wouldn't really call it racist. It doesn't even make fun of usual racist stereotypes! It is just.... severely misinformed.

Well, I'm wrong about the being racist stereotypically or biased. What I'm trying to say is that the African, Central and South American, Oceanic, and other Asian countries are not represented because they are primitive or not as interesting as the European, North American and East Asian countries (at least according to the series' creator). To me that's rather unfair and that goes to show that Hetalia prefers countries with lighter skin color than the dark-skinned ones.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
If it was trying to be racist funny, I'd expect Britain to be sipping tea and twirling a cane - not munching on burgers. Why the hell is Britain munching on burgers anyway?

I have no idea...
I only recall America being the one gorging on burgers (which actually makes sense), but I don't remember Britain doing so (then again, I haven't seen all the episodes). Regardless, Britain munching on burgers? The hell? Shouldn't he be eating fish and chip instead? Has the creator of the series done any research? Could it be just a mistake? Or is it pure stupidity? Does anyone here give a flying fuck about this series besides the diehard, fujoshi weeaboos that devote their miserable, meaningless existence to it? Who knows and who cares!

Man, the more I talk about it, the more I dislike the series. :|

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2011, 3:06 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
Overall, I think (Hetalia)'s a decent series and I can only recommend it to anyone is into world history and/or into bishi guys for that matter.
So what do you think of this series?

Hetalia is definitely not for people who are into world history in general or the history of World War II in particular. The way I see it Hetalia is a sickeningly great example of the simplified outlook on world history that most Japanese of the post-war era have.

The racism in Hetalia can, imho, not be seen in what nations are present or not present. As for Canadians, South Africans, New Zealanders, and Australians, well, they might be implied in the British Figure, possibly representing the Commonwealth as a whole, altogether with "non-white" ethnic groups.
The accusation of racism stems from the total belittlement of the conflict and the absence of any wiff of discussion of Japanese (or anyone's) atrocities. For example, where's Korea? At least there's China, but nothing in the ongoing plot even hints at the Japanese Imperial Army looting and raping its way through China. Instead, Japan is depicted as a shy but overall nice guy in a Navy uniform - find a Korean or Chinese person of a certain age and ask them what they think about this sort of self-depiction. In Germany such a concept would bring forth a storm of protest, and rightly so.

In general the historic hints are far too vague to be taken seriously and at last it's just the merely romatic notions of a selective historic memory that builds the background for character relations, but there's hardly any real history in there.
To name something rather harmless, shouldn't there be two Chinas? One representing the warlords and Chiang Kai-shek's Republic of China, and another representing Mao's People's Republic of China? So even introducing a pair of brothers who are at odds with each other, only uniting against a common enemy (Japan) was considered too complicated for the audience to digest? Ridiculous!

Showing real history would have raised too many questions about Japan's role in the conflict, creating confusion in the (deliberately) historically lowly educated viewer, and surely rubbed the wrong way with conservative elites - you know, the guys who sponsor Anime for commercial reasons. Or has anyone here seen anything in the Anime or Manga which offers some sort of reasoning about why and how that war came into being? I can't remember any such part. The story leaves the viewer completely in the dark as to why there is an Axis side and an Allies side and what kind of problems they have with each other and why.

Which is to say: Hetalia is the sort of bullshit you should never bother watching in the first place. Unless you are completely ignorant about world history in general and the history of World War II in particular.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Why the hell is Britain munching on burgers anyway?

If the creator of the series has any brains at all the reason will be that Britain wouldn't have made it without the US Lend-Lease-Act and food supplies, also hinting at the Americanization that got started when US troops were deployed all across the globe and also to Great Britain, bringing with them their cultural aspects, which includes food.

PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 11:27 pm 
Major Contributor

Splendid interpretation as always, 42317! :clap:

In truth, I actually hate this series and I should apologize for not telling the truth. The reason why I say it was a decent series (which is not at all) was because I was afraid that there will be a bunch of hardcore Hetalia fans would be at my neck if I gave a fully negative review of it. And believe me, most Hetaliatards (but not all of them) are a bunch of ravenous, ignoramuses that claim that their beloved show is brilliant political satire when in actuality it's just a bunch of random shit that barely resembles world history coated with male homosexuality in it. Plus, I have a few friends in real life that like this series a lot (not total Hetaliatards at all) and saying negative things about would cause ugly debates that would go nowhere. Thankfully, this forum has no such members. Again, I'm sorry everyone for not telling the truth and I hope you don't take this as trolling. :oops:

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 12:30 am 
Post Master

Gojira wrote:
In truth, I actually hate this series and I should apologize for not telling the truth. The reason why I say it was a decent series (which is not at all) was because I was afraid that there will be a bunch of hardcore Hetalia fans would be at my neck if I gave a fully negative review of it. And believe me, most Hetaliatards (but not all of them) are a bunch of ravenous, ignoramuses that claim that their beloved show is brilliant political satire when in actuality it's just a bunch of random shit that barely resembles world history coated with male homosexuality in it. Plus, I have a few friends in real life that like this series a lot (not total Hetaliatards at all) and saying negative things about would cause ugly debates that would go nowhere. Thankfully, this forum has no such members. Again, I'm sorry everyone for not telling the truth and I hope you don't take this as trolling. :oops:

There's no point in lying about something so trivial. Unless you're racist, sexist, or any other real world offensive problem, there's no point in not expressing your individualism. Anyone who attacks you for hating Hetalia doesn't deserve to be in our presence.

As for the series, it's in my massive "want to see" list so I don't think I'll be watching it any time soon. Unlike my posting habits suggest I'm still watching a ton of anime though, just trudging through my habit of saving the best for last.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 11:17 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
There's no point in lying about something so trivial. Unless you're racist, sexist, or any other real world offensive problem, there's no point in not expressing your individualism. Anyone who attacks you for hating Hetalia doesn't deserve to be in our presence.

Thanks, Mmsven. Glad that reason rules here, unlike many forums on the internet.

Mmsven wrote:
As for the series, it's in my massive "want to see" list so I don't think I'll be watching it any time soon. Unlike my posting habits suggest I'm still watching a ton of anime though, just trudging through my habit of saving the best for last.

I only recommend watching at least one or three episodes at minimum before you torture yourself further. It's definitely not your type of series, but still preview it nonetheless. Just to see how painful it is.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2011, 2:57 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
As for the series, it's in my massive "want to see" list so I don't think I'll be watching it any time soon.

The idiocy emanating from that series makes it, in a way, worth watching for a viewer with a certain level of intelligence or at least substantial background knowledge.

Gojira wrote:
In truth, I actually hate this series and I should apologize for not telling the truth. The reason why I say it was a decent series (which is not at all) was because I was afraid that there will be a bunch of hardcore Hetalia fans would be at my neck if I gave a fully negative review of it.

You sure are strange. Animetric has always been a liberal and tolerant place and you sure know that. :)

PostPosted: October 16th, 2011, 12:51 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
You sure are strange. Animetric has always been a liberal and tolerant place and you sure know that. :)

I guess you can say that "Strange" is my middle name! :P2:

And I'm glad that Hetalia hasn't corrupted the minds of the members here.

*keeps a .475 Wildey Magnum in desk in case of Hetaliatard attacks* :shifty: