Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 9:42 am 

New season. New anime.

The show is basically about a young Japanese girl Yune, working in 19th century Paris. The circumstances aren't quite clear, she followed one of the protagonist, Claude's grandfather back to Paris when he was in Japan exploring new goods and what have you out of a desire to work in Paris and that it was a family tradition of hers to be attendants. But well, not really important I reckon.

The setting is basically a shopping Galerie that is somewhat being left behind by the times. Claude is the current generation owner of the metal working shop where he makes signboards and other metallic art pieces. Claude's grandfather is somewhat a fan of Japanese culture and thinks of adopting the whole 'poster girl' thing to attract business with Yune. So far she just kinda wipes tables and tries to be useful.

Some ups and downs here and there and eventually Yune settles into the family is more or less what the first episode about.

The anime is one of those slow relaxing sorta anime. There probably isn't going to be too much in the way of plot and will deal with general slice of life-ness with a fish out of water theme going on.

I quite like the portrayal of 19th century Paris. Lots of drab colours, many grays rather than some usual over-fantasized Japanese idealization. It was a nice contrast when Yune is first shown wearing a very colourful kimono, clip clopping around with her wooden clogs with all her clinky hair accessories. So cute I wanna die is how I'd describe Yune so far.

Claude is that crass mouthed but with a heart of gold sort. Cynical at his grandfather bringing back Yune, thinking that it isn't quite right and thinks she should return to her country at first. But they come to an understanding eventually.

Claude's grandfather is a sorta jolly easy going old guy. I would even call him cute. As far as anime old men go, he's as 'cute' as it gets I suppose. Has that Santa look.

So yeah slice of life, girl adapting to life in a different culture. Ayako releases XViD subs for those unable to go HD. The show probably doesn't have all too much to discuss but well, just throwing it out there since its the first show this new season I've enjoyed so far. Granted I haven't checked out much. The Clamp version of Blood, Blood C isn't impressing me thus far but I'll probably give it a few episodes. Sacred Seven, some new Sunrise shounen transformation thing is incredibly lackluster. Hoping on Bunny Drop along with counting on two sequels, Baka Test 2 and the third season of Natsume Yuujinchou. There are some other interesting looking titles but I'll have to check them out and see.

Post subject: Re: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
PostPosted: July 10th, 2011, 5:16 am 
Resident Scholar

Thanks for the hint, but you know how it is... three days this week I came home from work and had just enough time to eat and wash before falling into bed and on the other days I sometimes lack the concentration to make sense of Japanese language. :sweat:

I still might take a look at this show, some time - if she doesn't wear a French Maid outfit at work. Those dresses are too much of a deterrent for me.

Post subject: Re: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
PostPosted: July 10th, 2011, 9:36 am 

She wears traditional Japanese clothing for most part. She first appears in a very grand kimono but later changes into something more suitable for daily life.