Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime News
PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 9:27 pm 
Major Contributor

Might please some patient fans.

ANN wrote:
News: Transformers: The Headmasters Region-1 DVD Set Listed
posted on 2011-04-12 14:30 EDT
1st scheduled release of Toei-animated series in North America

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The online retailer Amazon is currently listing a Region 1 (United States, Canada, Bermuda) DVD release titled Transformers: The Headmasters (The Japanese Collection). The distributor Shout! Factory had announced in February that it obtained the rights for Transformers: The Headmasters, the 1987 Toei-animated television series which aired in Japan, but not in North America. According to Amazon's listing, Shout! Factory is releasing the DVD set with a suggested retail price (SRP) of US$29.93 on July 5. The listing also has director Katsutoshi Sasaki, voice actress Hiroko Emori (Alyssa, Cran), and voice actor Ikuya Sawaki (Fortress Maximus) in the credits.

Transformers: The Headmasters continues the story from the first animated Transformers series, but it diverges from the storyline shown in The Transformers: The Movie (1986) and the third American television season. Although the series has not been released in the United States yet, Hong Kong-based Omni Productions dubbed the show into English for television broadcast in Asia. There were also DVDs released in the United Kingdom.

Thanks to Ryan Jones for the news tip.

[Via TV Shows on DVD]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 5:07 pm 
Major Contributor

Despite the little bit of info we have at the moment, i'm definitely excited about the new project. :d^_^b: Maybe they'll finally give us the manga ending in anime form, who knows?

ANN wrote:
News: New Rurouni Kenshin Anime Green-Lit
posted on 2011-04-18 04:55 EDT
BDs of 3 previous samurai OVA/film projects to also ship this year

The June issue of Shueisha's Jump Square magazine is announcing on Thursday that production on a new Rurouni Kenshin anime project has been green-lit. More information will be provided in future issues of Jump Square.

The magazine also noted that the Blu-ray Disc versions of the two Rurouni Kenshin original video anime (OVA) projects and the Rurouni Kenshin: Ishin Shishi no Chinkonka [Requiem] film will ship between August 24 and October 26. A compilation CD will ship on July 27. Rurouni Kenshin, Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen, a new game for the Sony PSP system, already shipped last month.

Nobuhiro Watsuki's original 1994-1999 samurai manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump inspired a television anime series that is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. Viz Media published the manga in North America, and Media Blasters' AnimeWorks label released the television anime. ADV Films released the two OVA projects and the film under the licenser's prescribed title Samurai X.

Since he ended the Rurouni Kenshin manga, Watsuki drew Gun Blaze West and Buso Renkin. His current title, Embalming - The Another Tale of Frankenstein, has been running in Jump Square since the magazine's inaugural issue in 2007.

Update: More background information added.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 8:07 pm 
Post Master

I'm more interested in the news that the Samurai X titles will be getting Blurays, unless this new project gets competent writers behind it.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 2:38 pm 
Major Contributor

R.I.P. Dezaki-san, hope you're reunited with fellow anime directors wherever your spirit lives on now. Your take on Golgo 13 in the 80s was a masterpiece.

ANN wrote:
News: Anime Director Osamu Dezaki Passes Away
posted on 2011-04-17 23:20 EDT
Director of Ashita no Joe, Ace wo Nerae!, Rose of Versailles, Space Adventure Cobra

Anime director Osamu Dezaki passed away at 12:35 a.m. on April 17 due to lung cancer. He was 67. A wake will be held on April 20, and a service will be held on April 21 in Tokyo. He is survived by his older brother Satoshi Dezaki, another anime director.

Among the many works Dezaki directed were Ace wo Nerae!, the Air film, Ashita no Joe, Bionic Six, Black Jack The Movie, the Clannad film, Ganba no Boken, Genji Monogatari Sennenki, Golgo 13: The Professional, Hajime Ningen Gyatoruz, Mighty Orbots, Nobody's Boy - Remi, The Rose of Versailles, The Snow Queen, Space Adventure Cobra, Takarajima (Treasure Island), episodes of Mighty Atom/Astro Boy, and several Lupin III television episodes and specials. He developed a unique style of direction that included dramatic freeze-frames, split-screens, and lighting effects in pivotal scenes.

He was born in Tokyo in 1943, and he debuted as a manga artist when he was still in high school. In 1963, he joined Mushi Productions, the studio founded by manga and anime pioneer Osamu Tezuka, and he made his directorial debut with Ashita no Joe in 1970. Dezaki and Masao Maruyama co-founded the anime studio MADHOUSE in 1972, and Dezaki and frequent character design collaborator Akio Sugino then co-founded Studio Annapuru.

Source: Sankei, Yomiuri Shimbun, animeanime.jp

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 2:44 pm 
Major Contributor

While it's nice that such a celebrity is on our side regarding the long standing issue of live action film adaptations of anime projects where actors are not played by their own ethnicities, i would be more hopeful that such a protest would pass if not for the sad fact that petitions have a long history of never reaching the planned number that would cause producers to at least take a look at what the fans are thinking.

ANN wrote:
Interest: Star Trek Actor Petitions Against Akira 'Whitewashing'
posted on 2011-04-19 23:57 EDT
George Takei links to fans' petition against adaptation's reported actor shortlist

Last week, Japanese-American actor George Takei (Star Trek TV series' Mr. Sulu, Heroes' Kaito Nakamura) Tweeted a link to a fan petition opposing a shortlist of actors reportedly up for lead roles in the live-action film adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's manga Akira. The list included a variety of actors for the roles of Kaneda and Tetsuo, all of whom are white, including Twilight star Robert Pattinson, singer Justin Timberlake, and Star Trek film star Chris Pine. The list suggests the former for Tetsuo and the latter two for Kaneda, although Pattinson himself downplayed the report.

The website Racebending.com created the petition as an "event" on social networking site Facebook, which fans can sign by clicking the button stating that they will "attend" the event. At press time, over 11,500 people had signed the petition, which promotes the casting of Asian-American actors in this and other film adaptations.

[Via CinemaBlend]

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2011, 1:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
George Takei links to fans' petition against adaptation's reported actor shortlist

And I totally agree with him and the revolting fans.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2011, 10:38 pm 
Major Contributor

Maybe this is a message to them saying "Stop beating the dead horse and give us fresh meat already!" :lol: Honestly, have they really done anything other than rebooting Appleseed again and again? :?:

ANN wrote:
News: Appleseed Films' Micott & Basara Files for Bankruptcy (Updated)
posted on 2011-04-26 04:45 EDT
Kisaragi/Higanjima production company incurred 1.938 billion yen in debt

The financial research firm Teikoku Databank reported on Tuesday that the production company Micott & Basara filed for voluntary bankruptcy at the Tokyo District Court on April 21. Micott & Basara has been behind the animated Appleseed projects of the last decade, including the two computer-animated films and the upcoming Appleseed XIII series. The company had incurred 1.938 billion yen (about US$23.7 million) in debts at the end of March.

The company Micott was established in December of 1997 to plan, develop, and manage film and video projects. It formally incorporated in June of 1999 and changed its name to the current Micott & Basara moniker in March of 2003. It delved into live-action films (such as Kisaragi, Boku to Kanojo no XXX/Your and My Secret, and Higanjima), but it also focused on computer-animated works.

The most well-known Micott & Basara production worldwide was Shinji Aramaki's 2004 computer-animated film adaptation of Masamune Shirow's future police manga Appleseed. The company would then produce Aramaki's 2007 film sequel Appleseed: Ex Machina.

Micott & Basara announced Appleseed: Genesis, a planned computer-animated series, in 2008. However, the project was suspended at the studio Radix mobanimation, and Radix sued Micott & Basara over production costs. (Micott & Basara counter-sued Radix for restitution and compensation.)

Micott & Basara has been producing Appleseed XIII, a new 13-part computer-animated series adaptation of Appleseed, for release this June. The company's other animated projects included Koma Tori Eiga Komaneko, Atagoal wa Neko no Mori, Prologue of Blame!, and Samuroid Zero.

Source: animeanime.biz

Update: The animeanime.biz website reports that Appleseed XIII may continue production under a new future arrangement.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2011, 7:38 pm 
Post Master

Not sure if this is news, but it looks like Dragon Ball Kai was cancelled after the Cell saga, so it stopped airing after episode 97. I guess that either they thought the Buu saga was FUBAR, they weren't making enough money, or the music lawsuit had a bigger impact than I thought. I wouldn't surprised if it was the former since that saga is so badly paced that I couldn't get to the ending even when I was a kid. I don't really mind this, it just means that I can start watching it earlier. The English releases are already 50% there.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2011, 8:43 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Not sure if this is news, but it looks like Dragon Ball Kai was cancelled after the Cell saga, so it stopped airing after episode 97. I guess that either they thought the Buu saga was FUBAR, they weren't making enough money, or the music lawsuit had a bigger impact than I thought. I wouldn't surprised if it was the former since that saga is so badly paced that I couldn't get to the ending even when I was a kid. I don't really mind this, it just means that I can start watching it earlier. The English releases are already 50% there.

I'm not sure but i think it was always intended to end after the Cell Saga since it establishes Gohan as the new Earth's greatest warrior now that Goku is no longer around. I heard it somewhere but without reference, i can't say with 100 percent sureness that it's due to that reason. Could very well be the reason you said about the Buu Saga being too crazy to reproduce *no pun intended*.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2011, 9:40 pm 
Major Contributor

Just say NO to "whitewashing"! :shame:

ANN wrote:
posted on 2011-05-17 19:30 EDT
Warner: Production on planned film 'has not halted' as it has not yet been green-lit

According to the entertainment news website JoBlo.com, actor Keanu Reeves has passed on playing the role of Kaneda in Warner Bros.' planned live-action adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo's manga Akira. The Hollywood Reporter trade magazine's Heat Vision blog had reported on May 6 that Warner Bros. was in talks with the actor, although the rival Variety magazine's film editor Josh Dickey downplayed the report.

The website also reported that soon after Reeves turned down the role, Warner Bros. "shut down Akira's [previsualization] department and most of the staff that was working on the film was let go," although the website noted that it was told the two events were not related. Warner Bros. gave the website the following statement:

Production on Akira has not halted or been shut down, as the film has not yet been green-lit and is still very much in the development stage. The exploratory process is crucial to a project of this magnitude, and we will continue to sculpt our approach to making the best possible film.
The website noted that Albert Hughes (Menace II Society, From Hell, The Book of Eli) is still slated to direct the film.

Warner Bros. revealed in 2008 that it would partner with Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way studio to produce the film. In March, an alleged short list of possible cast members, including Justin Timberlake and Robert Pattinson, was posted by movie news site Deadline. While Pattinson himself downplayed the report, Star Trek television actor George Takei promoted petitions against the alleged "white-washing" (casting of only caucasian actors) of the series, whose original characters are Japanese.

Reeves is already attached to produce and star in a live-action adaptation of the Sunrise anime series Cowboy Bebop, although in his most recent comment on the project, he was uncertain whether it would move forward.

[Via Chris Beveridge]

PostPosted: May 29th, 2011, 6:34 pm 
Post Master

Fuck you Aniplex.

Rurouni Kenshin OVA Trust & Betrayal Bluray - SRP: $81.98
Rurouni Kenshin OVA Reflection Bluray - SRP: $69.98
Rurouni Kenshin The Movie Bluray - SRP:$69.98

Until High-Def-Digest gives Trust & Betrayal a 5-star video rating, I'm not considering buying any of them even when they're 50% off. These are a fucking ripoff.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 5:13 pm 
Major Contributor

Whatever it is, it better be good. If not, Mmsven will have a field day reporting on the latest blunders. :P2:

ANN wrote:
New Gundam Work to Be Unveiled in June 13 (Update 2)
posted on 2011-06-05 23:50 EDT
Official site confirms live announcement; Seiji Mizushima: Gundam 00 staffers involved

The official Japanese portal site for the Gundam robot franchise confirmed on Monday that a new work in the franchise will be revealed via a live event on June 13 at 1:30 p.m. in Japan (12:30 a.m. EDT). The site promises that everything about the setting, story, mecha, characters, and more will be unveiled about the project. The event will also announce items from the Bandai Namco Group. (Sunrise, the studio behind Gundam, is a Bandai Namco Group company.)

The Bandai Channel and Gundam.info websites will stream the announcement event, but the Bandai Channel service is normally limited to Japanese IP (Internet Protocol) addresses.

An English Twitter account of Bluefin, Bandai's distributor in the United States, had retweeted a message last month that said, "A new Gundam series will be announced during the Tokyo Toy Show....about 3 weeks." However, the message has since been deleted. This year, the International Tokyo Toy Show will run from June 16 to 19.

[Via Tadashi Sudo]

Update 2: Director Seiji Mizushima (Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Fullmetal Alchemist) emphasized that he has nothing to do with the new Gundam project, but added that there are many people involved from the Gundam 00 staff.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 9:16 pm 

New Gundam is unveiled. Gundam AGE.

From what I gathered, its a buncha kids piloting Gundams to protect Earth from external threats. The kid's anime super robot way.

===

I think its a pretty silly if not hilarious direction Gundam is going it, and I'll probably watch the hell out of it anyway.

I mean we had aliens in our Gundam, now we're going all Mazinger on it. Awaiting Steampunk Gundam in a few seasons.

http://boards.4chan.org/m/res/6558905
Stickied thread on 4chan for more pictures but generally amusing responses to the whole affair.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 9:25 pm 
Major Contributor

^ :O.O:

Quote of the week by Mmsven due to arrive in 3, 2, 1, BOOM!!! :shame:

Just looking at the picture immediately puts the "It's gonna suck" opinion into my brain. Are they going Digimon on us?! *Young kids being the only defense the Earth has got, betcha they'll phrase the midway upgrade into an "evolution" of some kind like "Digivolve" :P2: *

PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 6:15 am 

Mid season upgrades is a common robot anime trope really.

It already has multiple forms to begin with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next