Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding Anime
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2007, 7:31 pm 

I thought I'd put up a thread asking how all of us find anime. Some of us might know something other's don't.

Me I usually find mine on tv, or amazon.com and wait for the box set to come out before buying. Me poor I can't afford to buy a series one disc at a time. Yeah I know I have limited resources.

Post subject: Re: Finding Anime
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 12:21 am 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
Me poor I can't afford to buy a series one disc at a time. Yeah I know I have limited resources.

That's literally the only reason why I haven't yet finished SAC: 2nd Gig. By the time I'm in a possition so where I can go finish the set, it's at a time in the month where I can't afford anything.

To answer the question you've put forward: If I buy online, it's usually directly from the official site of the company that releases the video (assuming they have an online store). When I buy from a store, the store's usually Sun Coast. I've also bought from Best Buy, and I'd buy from Wal-Mart too on the rare occasion that they'd actually have something I'd want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 2:26 am 
Major Contributor

I'm suckered into buying anime disc by disc all the time. Though I agree that it's not a very good financial decision.

Also buying online is mostly out of the question for a lot of my anime purchases since generally speaking when I want to get a DVD, I generally want to get it right then at that instant. And even waiting a couple of days for shipping makes me less inclined to purchage a disc. Luckily there are quite a few stores nearby that decent collections of anime (Fry's as well as several local video shops)

There are some exceptions, especially when I see a good deal pop up or when I'm buying a box set for something that I don't want to see immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 3:14 am 
Major Contributor

You mean Frys Electronics, right spaz? I'd buy from them too if it were easier to get to than the places I've mentioned before. Actually, "easier to get to" isn't a fair way to put it. It's easy to get too, it's just too far out of the way to be worth the trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 7:12 am 
Resident Scholar

Shamelessly said, I look at different titles at Animesuki.com, and if I like one, I buy it (once it's released).
I'm a man of honor. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 10:58 am 

theres a chain of stores here in norway called Outland that if they dont have what you're after they'll order it for you. staff are nice and they have a good selection of not only anime and manga but comics, alternative movies (hong kong, bollywood, japanese live action to mention a few), games, models and card games.

#1 Chloe fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 2:21 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I buy almost every single DVD online. If I don't buy online, I usually get it at Best Buy, but I am talking like 30 DVD's at BB and 1000+ online. I usually buy everything from a Rightstuf sale, Deep Discount sale or on Ebay. Ebay is good for low prices as long as you know what to look for, to make sure you don't get a bootleg. I try to purchase everything in box sets, since I buy so much I try and keep the price down. Right now I have an average cost of $8.57 per DVD (Yes, I have kept track on how much I have spent). I think that is pretty good.

I never watch anime on TV. For the simple fact that if I want to watch a series I want to watch the whole thing, I hate having to wait. That's another reason why I usually buy box sets. However, if I really like a series I will buy the DVDs as they come out, like with FMP TSR.

Now on actually deciding on a series, I just buy everything. Whenever I see something remotely interesting to me I put it in my want to see list on ANN and wait for it to be released on DVD or for the fansubs to finish if I really want to see it quick. I'm not a big fansub person though, as I have only seen maybe 15 titles fansubbed. Fansubs are a good way to preview a series if you have limited resources or just want to make sure it's good enough to buy, but god I hate people that just download everything and never support the industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 5:52 pm 
Major Contributor

Yeah I suppose I would save a lot of money by buying online. But I'm one of those people who go to Fry's to get a piece of hardware for my PC and happen to walk past the DVD section and see this nice collector's box for <insert> for $30 and buy it on impulse. Surprisingly, Walmart sometimes have good deals also. Fry's new releases are usually in the $22.99 to $24.99 range, but I've gotten new releases (anime DVD releases) at Walmart for around $18.99.

Yeah I know I would save money by getting box sets online and I will jump on any good deals I see, but sometimes I just have to get the new releases when they come out. It's impulse shopping I guess . . . <_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2007, 7:24 pm 

See I used to buy off of Suncoast, but they rip you off, here at least. I'm talking $31 per disc with tax and a good $100 or more for a full series. I usually buy from a store call Caimo.com, they have a descent selection and have yet to burn me. I avoid Ebay like the plague dew to the fact the first couple of times I baught from there I never got my stuff or my money back. I do buy from rightstuff some times but I tend to go for the cheapest I can find it. Meaning sometimes I end up with bootlegged or imported stuff, not that I care. I abhore fansubs versions for mutliple reasons, mainly the more your buy fansubs or download from online the fewer titles get ligitimate translation of publihers here.

And spaz how do I say this, for the amount of money you spend one disc at a store I can snag an entire series online with my eyes closed. Learn some paitence and you can do some serious expansion on you anime library. I doubled mine within a year by buying online. . . .. . Okay now I sound like a spokes person for online shopping. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2007, 1:55 pm 
Lurker

The Adict wrote:
See I used to buy off of Suncoast, but they rip you off, here at least. I'm talking $31 per disc with tax and a good $100 or more for a full series.

I would never shop at Suncoast for the same reason. And it wasn't just for anime, it was for every DVD in the store. They would always be around $30. Of course, the three that used to be around where I live have all closed (I wonder why, haha.) If I buy anime from a store, I usually just go to Best Buy. From any of the places around me, Best Buy usually has the best selection and price. If I go online, then I either order from Amazon or AnimeNation, depending on which has the better price for what I want.

As far as figuring out what titles to buy, I usually just ask a friend of mine who, I honestly believe, gets RSS feeds beamed directly into his skull. If anything happens in the world of technology, video games, anime, or manga, he usually seems to know about it before anyone else that I talk to. Just about all of his recommendations have been solid, so he's my go-to source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2007, 3:16 pm 
Resident Admin

No joke. Suncoast and FYE have some of the most ridiculous prices for DVDs I have seen. I mean, who actually sells stuff for MSRP? For that matter, who the heck pays MSRP??? I think FYE's are closing as well as Suncoast stores, they just can't compete at all with those prices.

Sometimes they do have sales, like buy one get one free, which is the only time I could see buying from them. Make me wonder if they can do those sales why they just don't sell the DVDs at a lower price all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2007, 8:06 am 

That's the point I came to as well. "$30 bucks for a disc there is no way they charging that much for the companies to be profitable." is the last thing I said before switching completely over to the internet. But I think the entire company of Suncoast and other dvd specialties are closing like made for the simple fact that people are going to the internet. This of course causes them to raise their prices and causing more people to go to the internet quicking the dvd specalties stores deaths. But I don't care I've already made the transition and it Suncoast's own fault for ripping me off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2007, 8:06 pm 
Major Contributor

Isn't the price from, say, anime18.com, around $30 as well though? I dunno how fair it is to bash stores for how they price anime DVDs if suggested retail price (SRP) is $30 to begin with. Can't say they don't do it, because I've seen places like K-Mart and KB Toys do it with Transformers toys (and I think places like FYE do it with music, which is why I'd rather buy from iTunes now); I'm just saying what companies are posting as SRP might be part of the problem here as well.
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2007, 9:35 am 

Actaully if you go to the American distriputers, most recemend $20 to $25, the though former for almost everything. So yeah the real life stores are gouging us. And I'm sure there are a few online stores that do it as well, that's why I avoid them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2007, 1:47 pm 
Resident Admin

In the end the companies can set whatever MSRP amount they want for the DVD, but this does not change the amount of money the company is having to pay for the DVD at the wholesale level. Whether a manufacturer says that a DVD with a 15 dollar cost has an MSRP of $20 or $30, the company is still going to set it's price at any point above the 15 dollars they paid. So when Best Buy has DVDs for 20 bucks that they paid 15 for and FYE has DVDs for 30 that they paid 15 for, you start to feel a little cheated.

Yes I do realize that BB is paying less for the DVDs than FYE or Suncost or anywhere else since it is such a large purchaser that they will get large discounts, but it ain't enough to warrant places charing 50% more for the same DVD.

I think they set the MSRP amount high so that companies selling the stuff at the retail level can say, 30% Below MSRP!