Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forced Listening Thread
PostPosted: May 8th, 2011, 6:02 pm 

This is a fun game that can be found on many forums on the net. The main idea of the thread/game is to present music to others while exposing yourself to different music.
So how does it work? First someone must post a song (youtube or anywhere that can be heard on most computers is fine), then the next poster must listen to that song, write a decent response/critique, that poster can put up a song and the process repeats itself.

Here are the rules:

1. You must listen to the entire song. If you dislike the music posted so much that you can't get through it, then don't post next.

2. Only post intelligent responses, Do not post simple one or two word responses like "Pretty good" or "That sucked". Let's put some thoughts on the responses.

3. Let's try to pick songs or bands that you want to share because they haven't had the exposure others had. For example, posting Metallica's "Enter Sandman" (which probably everyone here's listened to before) vs Josh Frusciante "Anne" (which not many people know of). Remember the main objective of the thread is to share and find new music.

4. No Rick Rolls or the such. And no offensive videos or songs.

Note: I know we are not that many here in the forum, and the thread probably won't move as fast as it should (hopefully it won't die) but it would be a good thread to share opinions and musical taste.

--------------------------------
Now, let's begin! I'll start:

Post subject: Re: Forced Listening Thread
PostPosted: May 12th, 2011, 11:36 am 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
no offensive videos or songs.

Please define "offensive".

PostPosted: May 12th, 2011, 6:48 pm 

42317 wrote:
wolfwood wrote:

heh, that's an usual rule on other forums but mostly because there are minors, stuff like rape, explicit sexual themes and the such would be objectionable. But, given that we are all adults here, we can overlook that rule.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 3:26 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
42317 wrote:
wolfwood wrote:
heh, that's an usual rule on other forums but mostly because there are minors, stuff like rape, explicit sexual themes and the such would be objectionable. But, given that we are all adults here, we can overlook that rule.

Okay then, I'll think about it.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 7:44 pm 
Major Contributor

I'll go ahead and lay out my criticism on the first song and just get it over with. This cover of the classic Duran Duran song employs humor fluently to get it's point across, and while the beat is mostly incorporative of punk and ska, the guitar melodies have a tinge of rhythm and blues to them that serves well in adding another layer to it's amusing core.

I'm never sure which artists are more obscure so that just reinforces my belief that this will be the only time i'll be doing this but i'll go ahead and put what i planned anyway.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 8:37 pm 
Post Master

My knowledge of music and it's vocabulary isn't very good so I won't be able to do many "smart" posts. Also seems like a large time investment to listen to every song, write about it, and find a good song for the next one.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 9:28 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
My knowledge of music and it's vocabulary isn't very good so I won't be able to do many "smart" posts. Also seems like a large time investment to listen to every song, write about it, and find a good song for the next one.
you don't need to have musical knowledge or a sophisticated vocabulary to comment on a song, you can just explain what you liked about it in honest words or if you didn't and why.
G-Core posted a very good critique above, although it's not necessary to analyze the song as much as he did. You could just say something about a guitar solo that comes in at certain point, the drumming, things that you appreciated or grabbed your attention. Or how the singer's voice ruined the song. Things like that.
And you post music that you want to share with others. Sometimes we like stuff other people probably haven't had a chance to listen to, so we give them that chance. But yes, it may take a few minutes to listen to the song, comment and then post your song.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 11:36 am 
Major Contributor

Thanks for complimenting my critique, wolfwood. :D There's also a song that i put up just in case anyone forgot awaiting the verdict. :whistle: