Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
PostPosted: April 29th, 2011, 12:31 pm 

I'd like to translate it as Crazy Girl and Youthful Guy.

Although Denpa does literally mean electrical waves. But if I'm not mistaken it is often used as an adjective to imply someone is kinda nuts.

And here I continue to fill up the place with more threads of ongoing anime in my attempt to get people in on the whole weekly thing.

Niwa Makoto upon entering highschool moves in with his supposedly alone aunt, Touwa Meme after his parents suddenly went overseas for work. It turns out that his aunt has hidden a cousin from the rest of the family all this while, a cousin the same age as he - Touwa Erio. A self proclaimed alien. Who wraps a futon around her upper body and stays cooped up in her room all the time.

He later learns that she went missing for half a year before being found floating in the sea with no memories of what had occurred before starting her futon-aliens routine. Thus starts his new high school life with a rather bizarre housemate.

===

Spoilers ahead maybe? Although before I get into the show, I guess I should say that the show doesn't actually have anything to do with aliens. At least it looks that way. Unless there is one really surprising plot twist up ahead. Either way I'm gonna babble on with my knowledge of the three episodes that I've watched thus far.

You've got quite a commonly used premise. You got a guy moving in with his attractive aunt and cousin, meets a quirky attractive girl in high school and becomes fast friends with her and gets along with another quirky attractive girl who dresses up in weird costumes while taking walks in the middle of the night. Its like a textbook harem premise pretty much, sexual tension aho. And you got the whole regular guy meets quirky girl as the central premise.

But well the titular girl, headjob cousin Touwa Erio is pretty interesting. So far the show has more or less made it out that she has actual mental issues rather than 'lawl she's weird that way'. Unable to cope with half a year's worth of memories missing, she locked herself within her own explanation of 'aliens did it'. The fact that she was raised by a rather neglectful single mother probably does not really help the case at all.

Niwa Makoto is somewhat similar to Araragi Koyomi of Bakemonogatari. Not to mention same studio, similar premise. I guess comparing him to Kyon wouldn't be bad either? He isn't an unlikable harem lead ponce with no backbone that gets overly shy around girls. We do get a lot of his internal monologue in and about the place. And in his new life he soon gets interested in figuring out his strange cousin, not particularly because of proper concern or hope for romance or anything but sheer curiosity and the fact the way she is living is infringing upon his personal philosophy.

Thus is the premise that interests me. By the most recent episode Makoto has more or less analyzed and thought about Erio's situation and decided to break her out of her safe illusionary shell. Which he more or less manages to do so by forcing her into a bike off into a river to disprove her claims that she can fly. Which is pretty good development rather than faffing around her quirks all day for a long time. While progress will probably lead to Makoto pulling Erio to a more normal lifestyle, the missing memories and 6 months does raise a question.
Meme has so far been disagreeable on Makoto getting involved with Erio. It has been revealed that Erio was more or less a result of fooling around and that she wasn't prepared at all on having a child. Just how Erio had been raised is pretty questionable. The supposed 6 months thing could actually be a result of Meme's own actions. While Erio was supposedly missing for those 6 months as far as the rest of the world is concerned, for all we know Meme just hasn't quite admitted to something yet.

And the 6 months memory loss perhaps isn't even proper memory loss. Could be extremely strong denial due to trauma of some sort.

Either way I'm looking forward to how Makoto cracks Erio open figuratively and how it will all be dealt with. While so far the show doesn't really have a very serious tone at all, I'm hoping they do get into the meat of the whole mental issues/psychology thing.

Post subject: Re: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
PostPosted: May 1st, 2011, 6:05 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I'd like to translate it as Crazy Girl and Youthful Guy.
Although Denpa does literally mean electrical waves. But if I'm not mistaken it is often used as an adjective to imply someone is kinda nuts.

Not exactly. "Denpa" people are persons who make their presence felt mostly via indirect media - like the internet, mails, blogs, message boards, and so on - down to oldschool citizen band radio if you will. That's were the word as a denotation for such people comes from.
Denpa people and Hikikomori are more or less the same, the border line between the terms is blurry, and I think that Hikikomori are possibly just more withdrawn than their "cousins".

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Touwa Erio. A self proclaimed alien. Who wraps a futon around her upper body and stays cooped up in her room all the time.

Sounds serious enough, I might check it out... how many episodes are planned?
The problem that keeps repeating itself, though, is that my computer is not able to play the modern high-quality mkv and mp4 rips, my 2003 CPU is just too antique. I need to rely on rmvb or some format like that. If one rule has been established then it is that any movie file above 200 MB is asking too much of my processor.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2011, 11:07 am 

You might wanna check out the CoreAVC codecs. I could play the latest 720p encodes on my old laptop with them fine, although it was incompatible with the later encodes and thus had some issues in areas as if you were watching something off a dirty disc. No idea how the latest versions of CoreAVC fare though compared to what I had. It is a commercial codec however, so either you buy it or find ways around as most netizens do.

The latest VLC is pretty good these days too.

Anyway the subber I am following for the show Mazui, does release an XviD avi version the day later and older machines should have no problem playing those.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 7:36 am 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
You might wanna check out the CoreAVC codecs.

I did and it costs 10 USD. That's a no-go.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Anyway the subber I am following for the show Mazui, does release an XviD avi version the day later and older machines should have no problem playing those.

Yes, I was very happy to see that. I wish more fansubbers offered releases like that, because eventually the idea behind the fansub is (or was?) to give the fan a free sniff, so to speak, to decide whether to buy the show or not. If said fan gets high quality videos for free I can't see how he or she is supposed to develop any motivation to spend money on the official release.
In fact I'm happy about the subtitles because all that futon-muffled talk is hard to follow, plus that rather artificial Japanese that she uses.

So I watched two episodes so far and it does look promising. It is remarkable that the storywriting borders on the humorous again and again but there is something about the general atmosphere of the series that kinda chokes the chuckle. In this regard I find it comparable to the first episodes of AIR. I can hardly see how they could ever eventually pull the stunt and make it a show about actual aliens and stuff. What I see so far is a different approach at the Hikikomori topic, in a more radical way than NHK back then.
What does not fully suit the picture is that more people in this town seem to be weird in this or that way... like that tall girl who works as a "Kanban Musume" for a sandwich shop or something and takes walks at night in her sandwich outfit? That is whacky and it does not suit my so far interpretation.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 3:34 pm 
Resident Scholar

Late as I am I have seen episode three.
There's still nothing really new to talk about, besides Makoto trying his best to become friends with Erio - so far for unclear reasons. He denies that he's tempted by her looks and his explanation that he was kinda curious sounds a bit too weak.

I somehow like the opening song better every time I listen to it.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 4:40 am 

He did go on about how her denial goes completely against his beliefs and way of life as a motivation to pull her out of her circumstances. Driven by his own ego, pressing his own beliefs on another. So he says.

Episode 4 shows Erio trying to reintegrate into society by getting a part time job. Her refusal to go to school is somewhat interesting, she still keeps her uniform in her room.

But Episode 4 was mostly twin tails cuteness.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 5:13 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Episode 4 shows Erio trying to reintegrate into society by getting a part time job. (...) But Episode 4 was mostly twin tails cuteness.

Uh... that was episode 5. Episode 4 has Makoto deal with a broken arm and the two girls who kinda woo him.
Nothing much to say about ep 4 in terms of contents... on the technical side it was somehow alienating to see the girls visiting Makoto in hospital because in some shots they wear socks and in some shots they don't, depending on the angle. I suppose the visit scene was drawn and colored by two different teams.
Generally I'm wondering by the characters have such reddish and shiney knees.

Episode 5 brings us Erio's reintegration intentions, but I'm beginning to miss the point of the series if there is one to begin with. I'm still betting on social topics, but my conviction is kinda fading by now. I hope they'll improve on contents and put sexiness/cuteness aspects back onto the sidelane.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 11:04 pm 

Got mixed up.

Anyway yeah, the show has been kinda faffing around on the whole cute stuff aspect and getting all typical haremmy about the place. Ryuuko is cute and all but like it gets old.

I guess my only serious drama intake this season is AnoHana. HanaIro has proven to be very slice of life light hearted, although it still retains the potential for drama I guess? AnoHana is pretty serious and heavy drama all the way.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 8:15 am 
Resident Scholar

Episode 06 intensifies... what? I guess the "love polygon".
While I still like the series and its characters I begin to suspect this has less of an analytical appeal but simply utilizes a serious social topic and a pinch of mystery undertones to spice up a classic harem plot.

Episode 07 only emphasizes what I wrote about episode 06.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 9:20 pm 

I never saw Maekawa as part of the love polygon. Just the way she acts I suppose, she's more an instigator/observer/tease for her own amusement.

Either way 08 was an interesting episode after a while of rather usual harem hijinks and a nice change of pace.

The show is definitely heading down the harem direction but like it has interesting enough characters and sub plots so that it doesn't just fall flat on its face like most of the cookie cutter stuff out there. Guess you can compare it to Bakemonogatari in that sense. Its pretty much a harem premise but handled in a pretty irregular way, the winning girl having won pretty fast and the overarching plots and stuff takes it away from the usual tropes.

PostPosted: June 11th, 2011, 3:48 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I never saw Maekawa as part of the love polygon. Just the way she acts I suppose, she's more an instigator/observer/tease for her own amusement.

Maekawa is a part of Niwa's harem as much as Kiyone is a part of Tenchi's.

I'll watch episodes 08 and 09 tomorrow or so.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 12:12 am 

Maekawa makes her intention to be part of the love polygon clear.

Either way more crazy stuff happens, crazy astronaut alien girl and the series comes to an end without a conclusion more or less. We'll probably get another season sometime down the line.

Overall it was amusing but nothing earth shattering.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2012, 3:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

A long time later I got to finish the series, switching it on, so to speak, while hanging up my laundry.
So, yeah... what to say about it?
The first thing that came to my mind after the last episode was that it can be compared to Evangelion in a certain sense: Imho, there is a surface story and a message below. The surface or frame story is about Makoto and the girls, some other people, and the paranormal reputation of the town he lives in; but, regrettably, that's just for decoration and the "end of Denpa" leaves many (surface) threads unfinished, too many. What seems to be down below is Makoto's mental development under the influence of his newly found environment - which is "I mustn't run away!"!?! :blink:
But at least that is seen through and finished in the end.

There seems to be nothing more. Or at least nothing more complicated. Am I wrong?
Erio opens up to a more social life after the first third of the series but hardly develops afterwards.
Ryƻshi eventually profits from Makoto's development to a more active (keen?) type of character while Maekawa doesn't seem to develop at all.

The story starts and characters are being introduced, and when it reaches the lane where it could start off it leads the viewer to the finish line. I'm left with a sensation of dissatisfaction.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2012, 2:13 am 

Basically its an incomplete adaptation of a light novel series. Kinda one of those testing the water series.

If it does well, they proceed with more seasons. Otherwise they move on.

Personally I'm not too big a fan of the show and don't really care if it gets a continuation or not.