Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hanasaku Iroha
PostPosted: April 4th, 2011, 9:04 am 

Spring anime ahoy. Who wants to join a weekly discussion?

Ohana Matsumae's already unordinary life takes a 180 degrees turn when her single mother declares she's running away with her boyfriend who is in debt and finds out she's not taken along and is instead sent to a grandmother that she has never met before and had disowned said mother. Said Grandmother is the owner of a hot spring/inn establishment and she imagines a new fairy tale-ish life ahead of her and her hopes are driven up when she sees such a grand place it is. Bumpy meetings ahoy, she isn't welcomed as a granddaughter but instead an employee and gets put to work immediately and many toes are tread on.

I kinda expected a whole cute girls doing cute stuff along the lines of K-On!!, Lucky Star or Azumanga Daioh. Instead its a drama about a young girl adapting to a new life and people and all the hardships involved. And she gets off on the wrong foot with the person she first meets, being told to die right off the bat after mistakenly weeding out some grown herbs on the front lawn.

Pleasant to watch and interesting characters with much drama potential over. Animation is good and character designs are pretty. Rather normal and mainstream with regards to setting but absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion, if anything we could do with more anime in that stream rather than the same old tripping over the usual tropes and cliches.

Post subject: Re: Hanasaku Iroha
PostPosted: April 10th, 2011, 7:44 am 
Resident Scholar

I'm kinda interested.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
is instead sent to a grandmother that she has never met before and had disowned said mother.

That alone tells me that there's gonna be drama, because often enough such storylines have people say things like "You are the offspring of that good-for-nothing daughter and that good-for-nothing man! Your blood is tainted! How could you ever be any different?"
Pick up your mop, Cinderella!