Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ikari Shinji Education Project
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2011, 9:16 am 
Resident Scholar

Original title: 碇シンジ育成計画 (Ikari Shinji Ikusei Keikaku)
aka. Ikari Shinji Raising Project

I have only just installed the game and done a little testing, so I do not know much more than what the Wiki text says. Like I have not found out how to save the game, I guess there will be certain save points of sorts because I cannot find any such option yet. From my so far experience I have to conclude that you need to rename the files written in Japanese because a non-Japanese Windows OS seems unable to handle these. Only after I had done that I could see more than the introduction movie.
Since this is an official product I do not expect anything too naughty going on in the game's dating business. :mrgreen:

I am seeding the file "Ikari Shinji Raising Project (PC).rar" currently but... the game is completely in Japanese. In difficult Japanese. Just for comparison: Hôrô Musuko gives you Japanese dialogues that you can follow without major problems if you know basic Japanese.
Madoka Magica has dialogues that are somewhat challenging because of the fantastic topics.
Evangelion applies academic language levels, "level III" you could say if you compare
I. to ask,
II. to question, and
III. to inquire
in English.
This doesn't necessarily apply to dialogues of the "children" as they tend to speak in more casual terms, but the adults are just pounding my head with heavy lingo artillery. At least they display the lines at the bottom so I can look up stuff when necessary.
Apart from the dialogues you need to be able to read the menu items when you plan Shinji's weekly schedule. Creating the schedule itself seems not so hard as you have to drag and drop nearly self-explaining icons into slots.

If anybody dared to handle the game I wouldn't mind doing a comparative study, so to speak.
I'll post a more elaborate opinion after I have finished one or two rounds.

Edit: It's "Keikaku", not "Kakukei"!

Last edited by 42317 on April 19th, 2011, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ikari Shinji Education Project
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 9:35 am 
Resident Scholar

42317 wrote:
I have not found out how to save the game, I guess there will be certain save points of sorts because I cannot find any such option yet.

Option found. You can save the game after a week of in-game time has passed.

Additionally, the game has chapters pretty much like a TV series would have episodes and you can save everytime a new chapter starts (even if it is in mid-week).

Further point of notice: Planning Shinji's schedule is the last thing you should do on any Sunday because it starts the following week immediately, interrupting your opportunities for other Sunday activities such as shopping, cinema, and eating out (more pastime options might come), conversation with Misato, cleaning the house, or doing official NERV-related work, among other things.

Any educational activities that Shinji undertakes adds 2 points to his stress level.
Stress levels can be lowered by five or six points by giving him a break of half a day.
Pastime activities like eating out also decrease stress.
The option to send him on a vacation is also given.
Reminds me a lot of Princess Maker.

The game also includes a minigame called (transl.) Nagisa Kaoru Education Project.
All I can say about that so far is that it caters to ShinjiXKaoru fans in a mild but perceivable manner, and while Misato acts as Shinji's guardian Kaoru's is obviously Ritsuko.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2011, 8:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

Update and corrections

42317 wrote:
the game has chapters pretty much like a TV series would have episodes and you can save everytime a new chapter starts (even if it is in mid-week).

It looks like the new chapters tend to begin on Sundays, you can save after Saturday or before you're about to plan Shinji's schedule.

Angels are not angels but "Apostles", since "Angel" would be "Tenshi" but the term used is "Shito", which means "Apostle". That alone should deflate a lot of interpretations and opinions offered about the series. Those are NOT angels.

And they're probably anti-semites because they always attack on Saturdays. :sweat:

The enemy not necessarily attacks the EVA units, they also attack the city itself, and thus they might destroy buildings. Destroying buildings has two effects:
1. Shinji loses one address for pastime activities ("Oh no, there goes the cinema...")
2. The monthly allowance of 10.000 Yen you get for fun stuff gets reduced by 3000 Yen.

But I'm not convinced yet that the stuff you can buy is actually worth the money and the time - time which Misato could spend helping develop new weapon systems for NERV. Any stuff you buy raises your stats a bit. Like, eating a steak will increase your physical strength by 3 points (while a time slot spent on working out will increase it by at least 6 points), which, in comparison to the share of money it costs, is somewhat ridiculous since after two months of battle simulations and basketball club Shinji has a physical strength rating of nearly 300 (max might be 1000).

I would like to see what effect buying a vacuum cleaner actually has, but the department store is still under reconstruction.

Or buying a stereo CD player, the description says "Stress x0.6" - does that mean that if I spend something around 20000 Yen on a stereo set I will lose 40 percent of Shinji's stress level once? That would be quite expensive for a single experience, because if you give him 5 "rest" slots during two weeks time his stress levels will easily remain below 20. (Interesting enough mid-term exams and fighting the enemy causes no whatsoever stress!) The stereo set would in fact be interesting if it increased the stress decrease rate per "rest" time slot. That would make it worth the money.

42317 wrote:
Any educational activities that Shinji undertakes adds 2 points to his stress level.

I have decided to let Shinji play basketball two afternoons a week because while it raises physical strength by only 6 points, the stress level will only increase by 1 point. So, while it costs more time it gets you a better result with the same stress.

Battle simulations seem more economic than synchro-tests. The former raise physical strength, synch rate, and stress, the latter raises the synch rate more effectively, gives Shinji the same stress, but it also decreases his sexiness ("Iroke") level.

42317 wrote:
Reminds me a lot of Princess Maker.

... which so far looks like the better choice unless you're a die-hard EVA fan or a die-hard Seiyû fan like me (Mitsuishi Kotono gives such a great performance!). Princess Maker at least has dungeons to explore and several jobs to test out, depending on what stats you decide to focus on, e.g. magic versus physical strength. If I got the explanations right an EVA pilot kinda needs all his stats to fight, so I up to date I think you don't need to focus, thus making Shinji an all-rounder of sorts.

I'm not yet sure whether the pilot's own physical strength has an effect on the damage done by his EVA unit to the opponent, I read it was needed to keep him from becoming sick. Would be interesting though, because considering all the athletic activities I have him do he should be a beast in melee.

Morale/Discipline ("Dôtoku") is needed to be steadfast and follow orders. The player decides (as Misato) whether the unit shall attack or defend or take aim or whatever, but depending on the Dôtoku stat it is almost "standard procedure" that the pilot makes own decisions despite any orders.

Sexiness ("Iroke") is important for becoming a ladies' man, the higher the score the easier they fall for him. If the level is low, Shinji becomes more susceptible to Kaoru's (potentially Yaoi) influence (and we know the guy is up to no good).

So far I feel a bit bored by the fact that the game's storyline sticks very close to the Anime's. All they did was put in three additional female characters, some extra pastime life of Shinji's, and a few battle adjustments that suit the technical possibilities of the game.
You might remember when Asuka made her appearance an "Apostle" showed up and attacked the fleet. EVA-02, unable to swim, had to skip from ship to ship and eventually they rammed a battleship up the enemy's throat, firing away, and killed it that way. So much for the Anime. In the game EVA-02 jumps into the water, sinks to the bottom of the bay (there are remains of a city under water), and attacks the Apostle with that carpet knife whenever it skims by. It's as simple as that.

Edit: Killed typos.

Last edited by 42317 on April 19th, 2011, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 7:42 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gradually I'm beginning to perceive a "dating sim feel" here. As Shinji gets to know the various female characters it looks like they either tell him when they happen to be where, or he finds out by coincidence.

Asuka goes to
- school on Tuesdays and Fridays,
- Aoi's academic class on Friday afternoons.

Rei goes to
- school on Wednesday mornings. Furthermore, Rei attends
- Aoi's academic class on Monday afternoons,
- Satsuki's arts lessons on Tuesday afternoons,
- Kaede's "Spirit Reinforcement Program" on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons, and
- Kaji's sports exercises on Thursday afternoons.

Which is to say: If you wanna score points plan your schedule well. But it needs more clarification in a second attempt at playing the game. Because it might just be that Shinji meets Rei in these afternoon slots because I have favored Rei in certain decisions beforehand (e.g. I decided to have Shinji team up with Rei instead of Asuka to defeat the 7th "Angel", the one they split in half).
It is clearly not just a bit odd that I don't meet Asuka at all.

Speaking of the terms of the trade I find it confusing that in all the dialogues the enemy creatures are referred to as "Shito", which, as I explained, means "Apostle". However, when an enemy appears on the tactic screen of NERV HQ it is in writing referred to as an "Angel". I don't get it.

Giving Shinji freetime in afternoons seems like a bad idea, the result being that he hangs around in town with Kensuke and Tôji. It decreases his stress level by six points like any break, but he also suffers a discipline loss of two points. (Bad company! No more friends for Shinji!)
At the beginning of October he had finally maxed the physical strength stat, so I also cancelled his basketball playing, as it made no more economic sense. Instead I'm directing him to seminars with Rei.

So far I have no whatsoever idea about how to approach the game's "newcomers" Kaede, Satsuki, and Aoi. Maybe I'd have to focus unambiguously on one of the girls' teaching offers.

As mentioned before, instead of giving Shinji a rest you can also take him on a sort of vacation, which is either to the movies or to the sea (at least up to now). Taking the day off and going to the movies decreased the stress level by 12 points I think, and it costs 2000 Yen. Actually I'm wondering where you find such a cheap cinema in Japan, as one person alone usually pays 1500 Yen or more, and we're talking about two (Misato and Shinji) here.

As for "naughty stuff", well, it seems they show nipples when "appropriate", e.g. in the scene when Shinji delivers Rei's ID card and she just leaves the shower. (In the game however, he does not put on his father's old glasses, that way she doesn't need to take them away from him, they don't fall over, Rei's underwear is not scattered all over the place and he does not touch her boob.)

Having Misato do Sunday work to develop new weapon systems for the EVA units sure is nice, but I kinda fail to see the "stat purpose" of these weapons. I cannot find anything like a stat bonus or anything, no matter whether the EVAs deploy any new weapon or just their basic knife the damage they do remains the same. Something's clearly wrong with that concept.
The difference between melee and ranged attack is simply the execution of the "Angel's" counterattack. When attacked at close range it will charge the EVA unit, when attacked from a detached position it will strike the city buildings (and by now I suspect that any destroyed buildings will never be restored, robbing me of the opportunity to buy a vaccuum cleaner).

The story stays close to the Anime's, but they kinda enriched the storyline with typical dating sim elements like the usual school events, like the culture festival, sports tournament, school trip, and so on. The beach episode is actually quite funny... in order to improve public relations the NERV team opens a noodle stall and they run it like a military operation, using the very same language like when in NERV HQ.
"SitRep: Lieutanant Ibuki is about to be picked up by a handsome customer!"
"Initiate emergency rescue operation now!"
Well, I made these particular lines up... but that's about the tone. :P2:

PostPosted: March 26th, 2011, 6:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

Another tactics bit:
In battles, the EVA units always take their turns in the same order - 01, 02, 00. "Waiting" orders for a unit, however, do not mean the attack for the round gets delayed, as in "Shinji delays his turn so Asuka and Rei can weaken the AT field before he makes a physical attack at the end of the round", rearranging the order of turn (02, 00, 01) or anything like that. If you wait the attack is forfeit (!) and you can only act again as you would normally in the next round. The best reason to "wait" could be that an "Angel" might not counterattack a passive opponent (it has as many counterattacks as there are opponents), but that's just a guess.

School events like exams override other characters' schedules. Asuka and Rei don't show up on exam days in spite of their usual habits to go to school on Tuesdays (Asuka) or Wednesdays (Rei) respectively.

Whenever you decide to go shopping on a Sunday after Asuka moved in she wants to be taken along and will ask for a free meal at the YûYû restaurant. Also if you decide to go on a vacation the same scenario ensues, thus doubling the actual price of the trip. Good opportunity to score love points (if anybody wants any from that brat).
On a sidenote, it's always summer after the Second Impact, therefore it's no problem going to the beach even in January.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2011, 6:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

For a moment I thought that they had gone astray from the Anime's storyline by not making Tôji the fourth EVA pilot. Why's that?
Well, Kensuke suddenly transfers to another school and is not heard of again, and when Shinji speaks about this Misato acts very suspiciously, like a person who's having strong feelings of regret.
I just met EVA 03, aka. the 13th "Angel", whom I disposed of with two flicks of the wrist in unarmed mega-mecha combat, while in his counterattack he somewhat scratched my unit 01's paintwork. And still they had to initiate the dummy plug, which of course thoroughly dismembered EVA 03.
"Oh, the Angel is still alive, we must use the dummy plug!"
I will never understand why... 03/13 is one of the easiest opponents I have met so far, 78 % damage in a single sweep, without a weapon, and he was incapable of action... well, they want to tell their story, no matter what. The battles are just mecha-fanservice anyway.
Oh, I was talking about a misconception concerning the pilot, right? Well, as I said, Kensuke disappeared under mysterious circumstances and I was actually hoping that they changed the original story a bit. But when Shinji's camera focusses on 03's pilot being retrieved it is clearly Tôji, and he later says that while saving the world he just could not save Tôji.
So, WTF was all that strange talk about Kensuke???

"Iroke" (sexiness) is a strangely presented concept of the game. The higher Shinji's stat in Iroke, the easier women will fall for him. I can in a way understand that you gain points in that stat if you are skilled in sports, arts and academics. If you know how to present your body or/and your intelligence women will more likely find you sexy in a way. Lessons such as these raise Shinji's Iroke by one point at a time.
I can also understand that discipline training decreases Iroke because basically you learn how to be more reserved, how to be a bit stiffer if you will. I can see that somewhere, somehow.
But why buying a bikini idol photo collection should increase Iroke by a staggering 10 points - that is completely lost to me. I don't see how such an item makes you understand women better or how it could make you know more about things that women find interesting or inspiring, as most will rather feel fat in comparison to an idol.
I would have understood if they had decided to let a photo collection of that sort have a positive influence upon his stress level, but it should have no effect upon the character's appeal to women.

Speaking of which... you remember the episode in which Shinji's body is dissolved in unit 01's entry plug? Right after he disappears, Rei shows up and asks Misato to get Shinji out quickly because "the chocolate will go to waste otherwise".
The calender says it's the 4th of February. :mrgreen:
Funny enough, Valentine's Day comes and goes but Shinji doesn't get a single piece of chocolate although he's hanging out with Ayanami half of the week. Maybe an Iroke stat of 320/1000 is not enough. :sweat:
It doesn't surprise me too much because he hardly goes to school, but it was a strange thing to have Ayanami mention chocolate and then nothing happens. :shifty:

Soon afterwards the world breaks apart as we know from the Anime. Kensuke is gone, Tôji is gone, Asuka is gone, Rei selfdestructs EVA 00 and is replaced by the third clone, all people on the planet become one in a perverted revelation of Shinji's wish to see a world without sorrow... I'll tell you about my "Rei ending" then:
Shinji lies in that red sea, Rei kneels beside him. Depressive red, black and white colours. You know the scenery.

"Why have you chosen me? Do you want to bind me like your father?"
"No! I would never force you! I just wanted to be with you!"
"It's still the same thing."
"..." *sob*
"But I shall grant your wish."
End credits.
SOUNDLESS end credits.

:wtf:
WTF!?

:mad2:

Is that depressing or what?
Is this what I have spent hours for preparing????

Alright - I'll start a second run tomorrow.
F*ck saving the world! I'm going all for fun! I took Shinji's life away in order to make him a mecha pilot superstar. Achieved - but no more! He will go to school every friggin' day, join the lazy bums' video club and go to Rei's seminars in the afternoon. I want him to meet Kirishima Mana and I want to find out why his mother is listed as a character in the ending credits when there was no sign of her anywhere!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2011, 6:37 pm 
Resident Scholar

Restart of Shinji's life, the way I announced it in my last post. He's going to school in the mornings and goes to the seminars in the afternoons which Rei attends, with the exception of film club activities on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

In the beginning there are no big changes although going to school soon offers two dialogue scenes that I had not seen before. The "Angels" keep coming at the same pace, and there has not been any change in the outcomes although Shinji's physical strength increase is not as much as it had been and despite his synch rate being zero.

Yet again two buildings have been destroyed so far, again the department store (again I cannot buy a vacuum cleaner) and the video store has also been razed. I hope the book store survives.

Some story changes are coming in later... uh... the Magma "Angel" episode did not appear in the game before, and it did not involve Asuka wearing a funny plugsuit. Instead I'm getting a feeling like these battles cannot be lost as a matter of principle. Either some kind of rescue comes up or Shinji's unit runs amok and kicks the opponent's butt.

Immediately after the Magma episode there's one named "Fitness of Hell"... haven't seen that one yet. More importantly, it's not been part of the Anime either. I feel lucky.
... I am lucky. It turns out to be an alternative version of the blackout episode, and in order to provide a minimum of electricity, the NERV staff mount exercise machines and they pedal like crazy. :P2:

The school trip from before does not materialize. Misato says no and that's it.

In order to get big bonuses on Iroke I bought 16 Bikini Idol photo collections. This led to a number of dialogues with Misato, one because Shinji was caught peeking at Asuka under the shower and others because Misato finds the magazines in his room. In both situations the player has three options: Scold him, tease him, or ignore the matter. I chose teasing in both cases at first because it seemed to fit Misato's character better.
But apart from that it looks like the booby-overkill has more serious consequences: Shinji's progress in any of his scheduled subjects plummets to a third, and often enough only the negative effects of the activity remain. I'm hoping that this limitation will pass with time because I don't want to just throw the expensive magazines away.

... but weeks went by and there was still no change in the halt of progress. Ignoring Shinji's collection had no effect, neither had scolding him. It's not just that his academic or artistic development came to a halt, also stats that were directly linked to such products were affected, like the film club which usually raises the Iroke stat suddenly only had stress and negative discipline effects. Why!?
The will of the great cosmos eventually brought me back to the Sunday after which Shinji had purchased the picture collections, I threw 8 of the 16 magazines away and all activity effect rates immediately returned to normal. :crap:

In October they decided to fight an "Angel" with baseball bats... not like thugs in close combat, though. Ritsuko prepares giant bats that are covered by an AT field and the EVAs use them to fling energy balls at the "Angel" in orbit.
Far out, man! :sweat:

PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 6:15 pm 
Resident Scholar

Not much time to play today.

There's a birthday party episode in the beginning of December, Asuka's birthday being the 4th and Misato's birthday being the 8th of December. It is confirmed that Misato is 30 years old, making her birthday December 4th, 1985.

Kensuke still makes a quick transfer out of school without announcing it to anyone, despite the fact that Shinji's been hanging out with him in lots of afternoons, having fun in the city or in the video club. It looks like there's no kind of "friendship points" with which to change this event.
A similar event is again Hikaru asking Shinji what kind of food Tôji liked, and Shinji doesn't know. Last time I thought the outcome of this dialogue was due to Shinji not having enough social contact outside NERV, but this hypothesis has now been disproven. These guys spend so much time together there's no way Shinji couldn't come up with an answer, as talking about foodstuff is much more common in Japan than whatever other place I've heard about.

Coming up next is an episode in which the EVA pilots along with some staff and Gendô himself will go to some island for survival training or something... I'll play that tomorrow.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 6:23 pm 
Resident Scholar

The "Survival" episode is one of the relaxing episodes. Gendô accompanies the core staff along with the pilots and EVAs to an uninhabited island to conduct "training", but it becomes rather obvious that he simply wants to hide that he's out to spend some quality time with his son. So, the survival training is his notion of having fun together, you know, "manly" stuff and and camp fires. :mrgreen:

Oh, they're being liberal on drugs!
Aoi: "Satsuki, that's a poison mushroom!"
Satsuki: "It's just a psychedelic mushroom. The worst that can happen is that it takes you on a trip."
Aoi: "Could it be that you picked this mushroom just for that reason?"
Satsuki: "Hm, I wonder...heeheehee..."

It turns out, btw, that renting Idol videos is way more efficient than buying Idol picture albums. One of the photo magazines costs 2500 Yen and it raises Iroke by 10. Renting a video of that sort raises Iroke by 3 points, but it only costs 300 Yen - so for 2500 Yen you can rent 8 such videos, raising Iroke not just by 10 but 24 points!
Hm, I wonder what effect frequent renting of these items has since they're given back and there should be no hidden stash underneath his bed. :sweat: I'll get back to that idea later.

Haha, major change!
Tôji is being introduced to Shinji as the pilot of EVA 03. Originally, Misato and Ritsuko alone went to the airport to get the unit and Shinji was only called in when EVA 03 turned out to be "possessed". This time they're taking him along and he meets Tôji before he enters #03.
Tôji then mounts his seat for a test run... but he cannot control the mecha and it runs loose. So far so bad - but the secret of saving Tôji seems to be that you just let him batter EVA 01 a bit as he does not do much damage if you keep concentrating on defense. At one point unit 03 runs out of power and - tadah! - Tôji can be retrieved alive.

Going on... saving Tôji does a lot to lead Shinji onto a path to a good sort of ending. Shinji speaks confidently to his father ("I don't know whether what you do is good, but I have my own reasons to fight, I am not your puppet!" "Then show me what you've got, Shinji."), and the 14th "Angel" collapses like a paper doll, depite the fact that Shinji never did any serious battle or synch training. :sweat:

After that follows a chapter that clearly seems to be a dream. The text field at the bottom of the screen turns blue, Asuka is Shjnji's childhood friend, and Misato is their homeroom teacher at their school. I so wanted to see this!
Kirishima Mana has has an appearance as Shinji's love interest and therefore rival of Asuka's. And Rei's. Hm... I didn't know Mana had Hayashibara Megumi's voice. It's strange in a way that Megumi spoke Shinji's mother Yui and Rei, who are genetically related to each other, so giving her voice to Mana also makes me wonder about the nature of the character who was actually the "Girlfriend of Steel", the android EVA pilot.
Nagisa Kaoru is introduced as another transfer student... he says he came over from Germany. First time I hear that, but, oh well...
Rei is the resident Anime fan... huh :sweat: ...
Rei: "That guy is like me."
Shinji: "What do you mean?"
Rei: "Smells like Otaku."
:P2:

After that sort of introduction they give you the usual possibility to plan Sunday and the rest of the week.
"Official NERV work" is now absent from the options in this chapter.
The options for the weekly schedule of course also differ from the usual programs. All mornings are "school" slots. In the afternoons there's cram school instead of academic class, there's a "Culture School" instead of arts lessons, a sports club instead of the physical education program, volunteer work instead of discipline training, and of course a slot for time off. No synch tests or battle training.
The schedules are mostly still the same, though, you'll still meet Rei in the afternoon classes, with the exception of phys-ed. The afternoon teachers are still Kaji, Aoi, Keede, and Satsuki, but for some reason the women wear NERV uniforms?

They made a few linguistic changes, too. The characters in this peaceful dream speak less complicated than in "reality". Only Aoi, the science ace among the teachers, still speaks this artificial high sort of Japanese and people don't really understand her.
Rei speaks in a more straightforward manner. Usually Shinji would say
"I'm taking this class together with Ayanami..."
and she'd say "I was ordered to come here."
Now she says: "Let's do our best together!" :mrgreen:
She also does volunteer work, collecting trash in the streets. The picture also gives you a Rei panty-shot. :sweat:
A dialogue with Kaoru reveals that Mana is, as I suspected, the chairwoman of the music club. So, if a player wants to woo her he should have Shinji join the music club. From what I know about Kôtetsu no Girlfriend, keeping close to Mana throughout the game should also reveal the secret behind Kensuke's disappearance.

Buying a vacuum cleaner will make Sunday cleanings less frequent... which is only useful if you're after Asuka, because apart from taking part in the same activities you "buy" her affection by buying her dinner at the local restaurant, and if you cannot go to town because the apartment looks dirty you score less points with her.
I'll try the stereo player instead.

Valentine's Day falls into this episode, and Shinji finally receives his chocolate from Rei. Congratulations on a job well done.
The Yaoi fans also receive some chocolate in this episode, so to speak.

On Saturday, Rei, Asuka, Kaoru, and Shinji perform Pachelbel's "Canon in D major".
Probably the only occasion in the game when it really pays off to turn the BGM on.

As much as I like the standard Evangelion BGM it often disturbs the voices imho, the trouble being that voices and BGM can be made more or less loud as if they were one, you cannot turn up the voice track and at the same time turn down the volume of the BGM track. There's just one single sound volume bar in the options menu. In the game then, the two tracks can, respectively, be turned on or turned off, nothing inbetween, and you can only do it during the schedule session on Sundays. So I had to return to an earlier save point in order to hear the concert.

Really great scenario, only Misato thinks that there's something fishy going on:
"It feels like today I was someone different than yesterday. Doesn't that often happen in sci-fi?"
Besides, I can't help but suspect that this parallel universe is actually Kaoru's doing.

The chapter ends but the dreamworld goes on. Interesting...
The parents come to see how class is being handled and Gendô shows up. When Misato asks the class who was the country's first Shôgun, Gendô whispers to Shinji:
"That was Tokugawa! Come on, raise your hand!"
Misato: "Would the visiting parents please be quiet? Besides that answer is wrong, it was Genji."
Afterwards she drags him into a pub where she lectures him about his role as a father.
:mrgreen:

Another dream chapter follows.
Party at Asuka's house. Good illustration, too.
They're also pretty liberal on alcohol, as everyone drinks Sake at the party... hey, those are 14-15yo junior high students! :shock:
Well, I have to admit that Megumi does her "drunken Mana" voice act well, and Rei attempts to sing, starting with the line "Watashi ni kaerinasai..." ("Please return to me..."), which is from the End of Evangelion song "Tamashii no Rufuran", of which an Ayanami version sung by Megumi of course also exists.
Ah, this is pure bliss. :lol2:
Eventually, Misato proposes that the kids take part in a sort of singing contest. An according schedule option appears afterwards.

I cancelled all of his other activities so that he'd take part in the rehearsal sessions.
Misato guides the rehearsals, of course her singing is as horrible as her cooking. :lol:
It's not necessary to turn on the BGM, the Seiyû don't actually sing... well, can't have everything... :cry:

So much for today.

Edit: Killed some typos. Will I ever learn how to spell "vacuum" correctly???

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 4:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Finally I can continue... working part-time and looking for permanent full-time employment sure is straining my schedule! Good thing that Shinji has fewer problems in his dream world.

In fact, Shinji is "caught" writing a piece of fiction which he labels "Shin Seiki Evangelion". It's about a junior high kid who, together with other kids of his age, fights mysterious monsters with giant mechas in a dystopian world. Uh yeah, right.
Misato gets to read the unfinished work and one day the player is asked to make a very concrete choice, coming from a dialogue with Misato about how to continue the novel:
"Should the protagonist get a happy end in the new world or should he fight on and save the world where he originally lived?"
Good thing I saved the game coincidentally the Sunday just before being asked to recommend one of the options!
I chose the "happy end" and saved in a different slot to be able to come back and change the decision in a later retry.

Shinji's mother Yui returns! Yay!
At least, somewhat yay... because it seems again that making a difference between Mana's and Rei's voice maxes out Megumi's technical skills. Yui doesn't sound much different from her "livelier Rei" performance. Pity. But apart from that the ongoing "coming home" party is really enjoyable.

Then follows the final chapter.
In the timeline I have chosen, Shinji becomes an artist.
Why? I don't know.
His arts gauge was at least not obviously lower than his academics gauge, but there's evidence that stats can be raised beyond the visible 999 limit. More than once I have had a number of points deducted from what's written on his status page, but the skill value would still remain 999.

Anyway, eventually, after graduating from high school, he marries Rei, white dress and teary eyes and all.

The ending credits are still soundless.
Which might be due to the fact that I turned off the BGM track.
Bummer.
(Trying again I found that it's Pachelbel's Canon.)

So... the will of the great cosmos brings me back to the recommendation how Shinji's book should end... and I choose "return and fight on".

Soon after the dialogue Ritsuko wakes Misato up who says she had had a beautiful dream for a change.
Ritsuko reports that EVA 05 and pilot #6 were scheduled next.

It looks like the "gravity" of the single chapters was encoded in their numbers.
If it's tragic or in accordance with the original timeline the number is written in classic, Meiji-type Kanji. The lighthearted chapters are written in Arabic numbers. Some chapters, I cannot quite categorize them, are written in Roman numbers.

Oooh, Yaoi eye-candy here... :P2:

All NERV personnel gathers at a briefing, where Kensuke is being introduced as the aforementioned pilot #6 to the player and Shinji doesn't seem a bit surprised. In fact he doesn't even mention it. Was there a mistake in story-writing?
And I hate to say it that way, but Kensuke looks totally gay in a yellow EVA plug-suit...
Then Gendô explains what's going on. SEELE is about to cause the Third Impact and it was NERV's task, the task of the young generation, to stop the old men. Interesting enough he stresses that the following battle will be a fight against fellow human beings - and that everyone who does not agree with these prospects was free to leave.
Kaoru is revealed to be the last of the Apostles/Angels during the briefing, and everybody seems to know about this and the fact that he is a SEELE spy. But Shinji decides to protect him from harm and lets him go.

During the following fight against the soulless S2-EVAs, Shinji displays a different character development by saying "If everyone's soul was to become one it would be like nobody existing in the first place! Suffering and joy are parts of life!"
In this again different last chapter you do not even control what's going on in the battle, it's just rolling by like a CG movie, with Shinji contributing comments about how he rejects SEELE's scheming to make everybody one.

Then everything turns white and Shinji meets Rei, Kaoru and his mother, everyone barenaked, who tell him that it is within his power to create the world anew in a way that he likes.
He is then awakened by Misato and other characters, notably all the women (except for Yui and Maya) plus Kensuke and Tôji. The S2 units have exploded and the EVAs are all gone... I surely have not understood all of the explanations... There's a huge hole in Tokyo-3 and all Misato can tell is that they all just awakened in this spot, without the EVAs, with all enemies gone, and unscathed. Characters not present in the scene are also safe.

So... the "artist ending" remains the same... but the relationship is somewhat vague: Misato tells the audience that Shinji has a good relationship with Rei, but that he should take care that no other guy snatched her away from him since she developed into something more than just a mere doll.
Which is to say: The world is saved, but Shinji doesn't have a partner.
Also not quite what I wanted, but maybe that's all that's possible considering the nature of Rei's existence.

Ending soundtrack: Pachelbel's Canon.