Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lupin III. movies
PostPosted: January 26th, 2011, 5:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
The original series from 1971 is probably too dated for me to enjoy.

But you'll never know how the soup tastes unless you tried it.
Would it hurt to watch a handful of episodes? If you don't like it you can still get rid of it.
(I haven't seen the Lupin TV series or anything outside movies and specials.)

PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 8:04 pm 
Resident Scholar

Dragon of Doom (original title Moe yo, Zanketsuken!)

Goemon is attacked by a number of Ninjas who are after a dragon figurine that one of his ancestors made a few hundred years ago. About to be overwhelmed he is rescued by a female Ninja, yes, the female guest role of this special, who seems to have admired him when she was in her early teens. Goemon tells Lupin and Jigen that they stay out of this, but the enemy decides to get them involved anyway.
The dragon figurine, somewhat bigger than a fist, is buried in the Titanic, and the Hong Kong crime boss Chin Chin Chou urges Lupin to get it for him.
It turns out that the dragon is made of a special alloy, and it changes its form under certain chemical circumstances, to reveal a part of the formula necessary to make the alloy - which is supposed to be harder and lighter than even Goemon's sword, the Zanketsuken. The evil plan is to build a stealthy bomber that is impossible to shoot down, so Chou can blackmail anyone into submission.

This special is a letdown. Not recommendable except for the die-hard fan, or rather: Watch once, then discard. But it's hardly worth the time.
The fight against the Ninjas lays whole city blocks to waste, the Ninjas blast the buildings and Goemon cuts the gigantic debris to little pieces. A little exaggerated imho.
After the big ruckus in Tokyo, Lupin and Jigen go to Paris, where they do nothing but board a biplane and fly to Hong Kong. There's no whatsoever reason for having to go to Paris to identify Chin Chin Chou as the evil mastermind. The scene makes no sense unless we assume that in the Manga the protagonists had a few more things to do in Paris and we have to consider the scene a remnant of that.
Any scene showing Zenigata could have been cut out and nobody would notice.
There's no reason why the huge trapdoor in Chou's house should be exactly where it is, with the lever to open it right next to it - in a hallway next to an intersection. It's just there to add to the suspense.
The single RPG that glues together three destroyer-sized ships is also a bit exaggerated.
It escapes me how said bomber could be built so fast (special alloys usually need very rare, and expensive components), why the designing engineer wasted valuable space and weight with defensive weapons on a plane that is impenetrable, and how it could fly from the Pacific coast to the place where the Titanic lies, off the coast of New York without further disturbance and so quickly, and apart from that: Why does Chou fly over the Atlantic when he actually wanted to bomb Washington, D.C.??

What a waste... I should have commented on Shinobi's stuff instead of watching this crap.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 7:04 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
But you'll never know how the soup tastes unless you tried it.
Would it hurt to watch a handful of episodes? If you don't like it you can still get rid of it.

I tried the 1971 series and I couldn't stand more than one episode as expected. My main problem with old anime is how horrible the sound is. The music, sound effects, and voice acting all make my ears bleed.

I'm a few episodes into Lupin III: Part 2 and it seems pretty solid so far. It's not nearly as dated. It's too bad Geneon never finished releasing it, so only 79 episodes were dubbed.