Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 20th, 2017, 2:34 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 10:07 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 19th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Posts: 926
Location: Aibonito
Ha Ultraman still lives?...I used to watch it when I was a kid :lol2:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: October 29th, 2009, 6:28 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: June 18th, 2007, 1:06 am
Posts: 818
Some good titles coming out.

Invictus.

Mr. Eastwood looks to have made another great movie.

Wolfman New Trailer.

Not much more in this new trailer...still looks like a good one. I find the music to be pretty cool 8)

Uncertainty.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt knows how to act and his movies are generally good.

James Cameron's Avatar New Trailer.
[no video on youtube yet....will update soon]
Me likely. :booyah:

Green Zone.

I am a fan of the Bourne series...so this peaks my interest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2009, 1:35 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Wolfman does look interesting.
Potentially good cast, too.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 2:57 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
OMFG! :x



Do we need another such movie?
Another such alien invasion that is shattered in the face of the excellence of the invincible United States of America?
The American need for self-adulation must great... otherwise I cannot explain why they simply recycled Independence Day and still expect people to spend money on this CG effects shit. :wtf:

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 2:29 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
OMFG! :x

I'm not sure how a person could take offense to such a standard fare looking movie but I guess I'll take a stab at your queries :D

42317 wrote:
Do we need another such movie?

No, we probably don't need another such movie. But you could say that about most movies, books, anime series, etc., made so I'm not sure what your overarching point is there. Most things that come out have been done before in some form or fashion, that's just the point we're at unfortunately. Personally though, I thought the trailer looked fine. I wouldn't pay to see it in theaters, but I may check it out on a rental or some such. If the reviews aren't too bad anyway. In one sense though, you never really know if you're going to like a recycled version more than the previous ones or not. I mean, The Last Samurai was basically an alternate telling of of Dancing with Wolves but I enjoyed the former infinitely more.

42317 wrote:
Another such alien invasion that is shattered in the face of the excellence of the invincible United States of America?

I don't know if it's really "shattered in the face of the invincible United States of America" as you put it. It's about one city in the US (it's a movie being made in the US after all, it makes sense it focuses on a US city) fighting against alien invaders. I assume they win or fight them off of course. But so might other cities or countries throughout the world--not just the US. This trailer gives no indication that the assembled Los Angeles military force is the only one succeeding at fighting them (only that it's the main focus of the movie). Other countries may be fairing the same for all any of us know.

42317 wrote:
The American need for self-adulation must great... otherwise I cannot explain why they simply recycled Independence Day and still expect people to spend money on this CG effects shit. :wtf:

Haha, I guess. Though I suppose it's similar to the Japanese with all those recycled anime series that always seem to feature the Japanese military coming out on top of whatever sort of crisis they face. I mean, it's almost worse in a sense, because they don't actually have the most powerful military in the world :P2: It's not just a case of self-adulation, it's an acute case of delusion! :mrgreen:

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 12:34 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Acmurphy wrote:
The Last Samurai was basically an alternate telling of of Dancing with Wolves but I enjoyed the former infinitely more.

The Last Samurai was a pile of Guano on Celluloid, but that might specifically be the case because I know enough about Japanese history and culture to realize that.
Apart from the cultural distortions it's part of the series of movies that propagate a "back to nature" attitude, where high society with its big cities and all is corrupted and the simple country life with its innate modesty is the key to real happiness.

Acmurphy wrote:
I assume they win or fight them off of course. But so might other cities or countries throughout the world--not just the US. This trailer gives no indication that the assembled Los Angeles military force is the only one succeeding at fighting them.

Of course, they show other cities under attack as well, like Hamburg. That's internationalism for alibi reasons. The focus will of course be on L.A., and once L.A. is free, all other alien beachheads will collapse. Anything else would not make sense, the rest of the world going to hell while California succeeds - like the Normandy invaders would also have had a hard time had the Germans beaten the Soviets by the middle of June 44.
The invasion will fail because of the US American contribution to the resistance, and the rest of the world will simply profit from that. There's no way the conclusion will come across in any other possible way!

Sorry for being so overly critical. I don't mind an entertaining action movie, even if it includes US military forces. Big Red One, Private Ryan - great movies that I enjoy a lot. I just feel a little tired of Americans and Japanese constantly saving the world.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 4:14 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
The Last Samurai was a pile of Guano on Celluloid, but that might specifically be the case because I know enough about Japanese history and culture to realize that.

I guess if I was looking for cultural accuracy from my fictional entertainment I may not have had such a high opinion of it.

42317 wrote:
Apart from the cultural distortions it's part of the series of movies that propagate a "back to nature" attitude, where high society with its big cities and all is corrupted and the simple country life with its innate modesty is the key to real happiness.

Even if it is propagating the back to nature attitude, I'm just not sure why anyone would care. Though I do often switch between my desire for the hustle and bustle of big city life and the relative tranquility of a simpler, slower paced one. So I suppose I see appeal in both.

42317 wrote:
There's no way the conclusion will come across in any other possible way!

I don't doubt it, but that doesn't mean the other countries aren't putting up a valiant fight of their own, or that the rest of the US hasn't been similarly decimated (as was pretty much the case in the aforementioned Independence Day flick). A lot of the time it seems like it's simply a case of spontaneous ingenuity or convenient happenstance (a la the captured alien spaceship in Independence Day) as opposed to some sort of absolute level of US technological and military superiority that wins the day.

42317 wrote:
Sorry for being so overly critical. I don't mind an entertaining action movie, even if it includes US military forces. Big Red One, Private Ryan - great movies that I enjoy a lot. I just feel a little tired of Americans and Japanese constantly saving the world.

Haha, it's no problem, it was just a bit strange. I admittedly know very little about any movies made in Germany. Do you not have the same type of overarching German military success in conflicts portrayed over there? Though I understand where you're coming from as a lot of the stuff you watch is probably either American or Japanese made, thus making those respective countries the stars of the show so to speak.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 7:21 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Acmurphy wrote:
I guess if I was looking for cultural accuracy from my fictional entertainment I may not have had such a high opinion of it.

It being a fictional story does not excuse distorting historic and cultural facts, thus giving people wrong ideas about how things are. They could make it right if they wanted to, but reality has less of an appeal to the general cinema-going public. It's like storm_shinobi said: Make a hero and then twist the world around him in a way that let's him shine the most. Analyzing reality and creating a realistic hero is too complicated.

Acmurphy wrote:
42317 wrote:
"back to nature" attitude

Even if it is propagating the back to nature attitude, I'm just not sure why anyone would care. Though I do often switch between my desire for the hustle and bustle of big city life and the relative tranquility of a simpler, slower paced one. So I suppose I see appeal in both.

It's not that I say propagating the simple life was wrong. I am just amused to see this pattern again and again in movies, for decades, while having no whatsoever effect on the consumer. :P2:

Acmurphy wrote:
A lot of the time it seems like it's simply a case of spontaneous ingenuity or convenient happenstance (a la the captured alien spaceship in Independence Day) as opposed to some sort of absolute level of US technological and military superiority that wins the day.

Doesn't matter. America will still save the day. Flash of genius, spur of the moment, Superman, or Lockheed Martin. It's the same thing.

Acmurphy wrote:
Do you not have the same type of overarching German military success in conflicts portrayed over there?

When I first read this question I was in fact wondering whether this was some sort of sarcastic joke. But I am convinced you are too nice a guy for that kind of psycho-backstabbing.
Germany is a country that can, militarily, at best brag about the fact that it took two world coalitions to stop it from supremacy over Europe and western Asia. In a twisted sort of sense that's indeed something. But we have twice been the leader of the Axis of Evil (although the first time, in 1914, it was more like the Axis of Stupidity), and we thoroughly lost. A German mainstream movie that depicts German military in a positive light is unthinkable, even about today's troops. German war movies depict death, destruction, despair, and dirt, they deal with the meaninglessness and contempt for life of orders, with the blood of people who resisted, and the lucky few who made it.

Let me elaborate on that a bit, and to limit myself to the depictions of military situations I'll give you the following examples.

1. Die Mörder sind unter uns (The murderers are among us, 1946)
2. 08/15 (1954)
3. Hunde, wollt Ihr ewig leben? (Dogs, do you want to live forever?, 1959)
4. Die Brücke (The Bridge, 1959)
5. Das Boot (The Boat, 1981)
6. Stalingrad (1993)
7. Der Untergang (The Downfall, 2004)

There's also a number of movies about different forms of resistance, e.g. about Stauffenberg, the White Rose, or Anne Frank.

In the middle of the 90s an exhibition was founded about the "Crimes of the Wehrmacht" in the eastern theater. The extreme right reacted with small-scale protests and a bomb attack, one published a book titled "Crimes against the Wehrmacht", listing Red Army war crimes, but overall the population accepted the evidence that it had not just been the SS who commited atrocities in a systematic fashion.

Supporting the troops means for us no more than that we hope our boys return quickly and safely from Afghanistan, Bosnia, and wherever they have been deployed. We take no pride in such activities, like deployments or let alone military service, therefore there are no such movies.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 12th, 2011, 9:19 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
It being a fictional story does not excuse distorting historic and cultural facts, thus giving people wrong ideas about how things are.

For you it might not, but I don't expect fictional stories to try and confine themselves inside the cultural and historic realities of the time. It's not a practical expectation to have in my opinion considering how rarely it's achieved, just an added bonus if they manage to somehow pull it off within the framework of the story. And I really hope people aren't taking their history lessons from Hollywood movies...

42317 wrote:
It's not that I say propagating the simple life was wrong. I am just amused to see this pattern again and again in movies, for decades, while having no whatsoever effect on the consumer. :P2:

On that I certainly agree :lol:

42317 wrote:
Doesn't matter. America will still save the day. Flash of genius, spur of the moment, Superman, or Lockheed Martin. It's the same thing.

My point was in relation to your comment about the seeming invincibility of the US military and that, much of the time, its relative strength is not an issue because some other flash of genius or convenient happenstance is. We've already touched on the fact that countries are going to portray themselves and their own people in a positive light (self-adulation and all). At least in a general sense anyway.

42317 wrote:
When I first read this question I was in fact wondering whether this was some sort of sarcastic joke. But I am convinced you are too nice a guy for that kind of psycho-backstabbing.

Haha, yes that was certainly not my intention. I really wasn't sure if it was still a taboo subject for Germans to portray their military in a positive light after what, 65+ years now since I have basically no exposure to any of your culture. The only info I really get about Germany is manufacturing, unemployment and GDP numbers :sweat:

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 13th, 2011, 5:08 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
Acmurphy wrote:
The Last Samurai was basically an alternate telling of of Dancing with Wolves but I enjoyed the former infinitely more.

Same can be said of Avatar which is more or less the sci-fi offspring of Dances With Wolves, Ferngully, and Pocahontas. Try going to any Avatar discussion place and not find a comparison like that, it's next to impossible and pretty much the truth. Originality is so hard to find these days.

Another bit that could pass as unoriginal would be Titanic in that the main story is Romeo and Juliet on a boat. Juliet aka Rose's posse don't want Jack aka Romeo's kind around her so they try everything possible to keep them apart. The ending is very different in the sense that Romeo does die but Juliet doesn't join him immediately after. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 13th, 2011, 7:34 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
G-Core wrote:
Same can be said of Avatar which is more or less the sci-fi offspring of Dances With Wolves, Ferngully, and Pocahontas. Try going to any Avatar discussion place and not find a comparison like that, it's next to impossible and pretty much the truth. Originality is so hard to find these days.

Yup, it seems like as time goes on and more and more stuff gets released in any and every form that's it's simply more difficult for them to come up with something new. I mean, I suppose it makes sense given the sheer volume of stuff out there now (which is all relatively accessible across the world thanks to the internet) and so we just end up with movies, books and such that seem like either a ripoff, re-telling or combination therein of things that came before it. We pretty much get to a place where originality is simply in the eye of the beholder based on how much stuff a person has seen in the past that he or she can relate to it.

Which isn't so much to simply let them off for their laziness, which I'm sure is a prevalent issue, but I imagine it is a sizable obstacle since you could write something you think is original when it has actually been done before and you just don't know it.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: February 14th, 2011, 5:37 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Acmurphy wrote:
And I really hope people aren't taking their history lessons from Hollywood movies...

Hope is good, but normal folks cannot tell the difference between Japan and China.
And considering how many people believe that what's written on Wikipedia was absolute truth... I fear your hope is in vain.

42317 wrote:
the fact that countries are going to portray themselves and their own people in a positive light (self-adulation and all).

Showing public pride for my country is considered politically incorrect in this very country (although it's a little different in the eastern part, where the socialists fostered a kind of nationalism that suited them). It went so far that public opinion had to be "patriotized" with official TV spots to get the soccer championship parties really going back in 2006.
Only from that year on has it become somewhat popular to have a pole with a German flag in one's garden, and still only a small fraction of normal people do this (one out of ten, I guess). Before 2006 if you saw a German flag flying on private property (as opposed to public administration buildings) you could be sure that the owner was a far-rightwinger. Many German tourists will feel uneasy when visiting the US because of the many flags and the overall high level of patriotism displayed in broad public. It's like an atheist going to a church.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: September 20th, 2011, 2:33 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Yep... This place hasn't changed at all. :P 42317's comparison of The Last Samurai with chiropteran fecal matter gave me a chuckle. :lol:

It's funny yet interesting to see how the topic went from American jingoism in Battlefield Los Angeles to white man's burden in The Last Samurai, but it's all good stuff. Speaking of cultural and historical authenticity in film, what's your opinion on Memoirs of a Geisha, 42317? Assuming that you've seen the movie yet or have read the book for that matter. Just curious, that's all.

Oh, and the reason why L.A. was spared and not the other world cities is because it has a secret weapon. The La Brea Tar Pits. Aliens get trapped in it and they get preserved for good. :wink:

Other than that, haven't seen the movie nor do I intend to see it. It looks like a shitty cash-in on Independence Day, and even the was a godawful movie.

Speaking of upcoming movies, what's your opinion on the upcoming remake of The Thing? Entertaining body-horror flick or has Hollywood truly ran out of ideas and is desperate to make loads of cash?




Then again, John Carpenter's The Thing(1982) was a remake of The Thing From Another World(1953)... :?

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 5:26 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Gojira wrote:
Yep... This place hasn't changed at all.

I'm glad to see you back. I've been contemplating writing you a message to ask how you were doing, but I'm busy with my job and don't have much time or energy to deal with anything much besides work and my relationship.

Gojira wrote:
42317's comparison of The Last Samurai with chiropteran fecal matter gave me a chuckle.

Well, considering your kind of jargon that statement surely is true.

Gojira wrote:
It's funny yet interesting to see how the topic went from American jingoism in Battlefield Los Angeles to white man's burden in The Last Samurai, but it's all good stuff.

Battlefield Los Angeles and Last Samurai are good stuff? Don't make me doubt your intellectual capacity. If a movie is said to be set within Japanese history I want to see Japanese history and not fiction put into a quasi-Japanese setting.

Gojira wrote:
Speaking of cultural and historical authenticity in film, what's your opinion on Memoirs of a Geisha, 42317?

I haven't read it but a well-meaning relative gave the book to my girlfriend who was constantly moaning in pain and ruffling her hair while reading it because it's so full of clichees. We also had a presentation about the movie in one of our seminars back then and it was suggested to me that the book was sweet compared to that movie.

Gojira wrote:
Speaking of upcoming movies, what's your opinion on the upcoming remake of The Thing?

I didn't even find the older versions to be of any interest.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Movies
PostPosted: October 1st, 2011, 6:29 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
42317 wrote:
I'm glad to see you back. I've been contemplating writing you a message to ask how you were doing, but I'm busy with my job and don't have much time or energy to deal with anything much besides work and my relationship.

I would feel appreciated if you did, but I totally understand about being busy with life and all that jazz so it's no big deal. And besides, I've been busy as well with my new part-time job and other personal matters.

42317 wrote:
Well, considering your kind of jargon that statement surely is true.

Gotta love biological terms! :wink:

42317 wrote:
Battlefield Los Angeles and Last Samurai are good stuff? Don't make me doubt your intellectual capacity. If a movie is said to be set within Japanese history I want to see Japanese history and not fiction put into a quasi-Japanese setting.

No, I meant the whole debate you and Acmurphy were having was good stuff, not the movies themselves. Don't worry, I could care less for either of those movies. Plus, I know how you feel about The Last Samurai, 42317 and I totally agree with you on your argument. While I thought the movie was pretty decent at best, but the whole "white man's burden" viewpoint was just cringe worthy and some of my japanophile buddies from high school wouldn't shut up about how it's like the best thing since sliced bread (annoying!). Also, I took a course on the Western Impact on Modern Japan course at my college and we went over the historical inaccuracies of the film and oh boy, the filmmakers should've paid more attention in history class! :lol: So yeah, I'm all for historical accuracy in movies for the most part. Not saying that have to be 100% accurate, but saying that they should at least be close enough to actual history. Though Cowboys & Aliens was pretty awesome, but that doesn't count! :P2: And besides, I feel the same way with 10,00 B.C. like you do with The Last Samurai. I could go on forever with that movie, but that would be for another time.

42317 wrote:
I haven't read it but a well-meaning relative gave the book to my girlfriend who was constantly moaning in pain and ruffling her hair while reading it because it's so full of clichees. We also had a presentation about the movie in one of our seminars back then and it was suggested to me that the book was sweet compared to that movie.

I thought the movie was good, but I want to know what does a master Japanese history/culture scholar, such as yourself, think and feel about this movie. Thank you anyways. :d^_^b:

42317 wrote:
I didn't even find the older versions to be of any interest.

To each his own. I just thought I'd bring it up just in case if it did peaked anyone's interest besides mine.

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group