Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Negima - what's the verdict?
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 1:30 am 
Lurker

Just happened across it in Forbidden Planet - as I understand it, it's the newest manga by Ken Akamatsu (the guy that created Love Hina), and still ongoing... So, is it any good/worth a look? I know the main male protagonist is from Wales (yay!), but other than that, I was wondering what everyone else's impressions of it were...

Post subject: Re: Negima - what's the verdict?
PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 5:03 pm 

rory_okane wrote:
Just happened across it in Forbidden Planet - as I understand it, it's the newest manga by Ken Akamatsu (the guy that created Love Hina), and still ongoing... So, is it any good/worth a look? I know the main male protagonist is from Wales (yay!), but other than that, I was wondering what everyone else's impressions of it were...

I have a friend who absolute adores Negima because it is "cute and funny." As brought up by Storm Shinobi in "What are you watching now?", there is the slight conflict between classics and new titles that everyone has to some degree. My reaction to Negima was similar and along the lines of "OK, so this is another harem show, but with a pre-teen Harry Potter and magic." I only looked at at the first manga volume, but unless the dialog is amazing in the English translation, I don't feel like my life is worse for not having seen any more...

Yes, I am a grumpy, old, impatient man. You should definitely get other opinions! :P2:

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: November 7th, 2010, 8:18 am 

I tried reading this, but I just couldn't get into it. First I didn't really enjoy the character designs as much as Love Hina's besides they all seem to be a lot younger, it's basically an underage harem manga! the Harry Potter themed story as Punk Daddy mentioned doesn't help. I get the feeling it's just a bad copy of Love Hina disguised in a Hogwarts environment.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 6:41 pm 
Lurker

Well, that's not encouraging! :P

PostPosted: December 13th, 2010, 2:09 pm 

It isn't!!!
Just a few suggestions of titles that still have a harem theme going on and might be of your liking:
---------------------------------
IO: "Nakabaru Taiyo came to Okinawa in the pursuit of beautiful ladies and the blue sea... But while trying to hit on a cute girl, she told him that her mother hated him... And then a wonderful story of scuba diving, beautiful women and adventure begins!"
This one starts fast paced, with a thrilling storyline but in the end it turned out a little shallow not to say disappointing, still the there are not many mangas out there about scuba diving. The art is very nice. But be advised that it's a little more mature oriented than other series of the genre.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pastel: "Poor Mugi Tadano! Heartbroken after his girlfriend moves away, he takes a summer job at his friend Kazuki's beachside snack bar/hotel on a tropical island. It seems like the perfect plan - until he meets Yuu, who might just be the cutest person that Mugi has ever seen."
The art here is very very nice. It's one of those mangas that I've read for years already, that I tend to forget they exist but whenever I remember I have to catch up with them it becomes a pleasant read. There is fan service but it's not overdone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Ending: "Utsumi is your everyday student. He is also a boy that has always had a strong sense of what is right in the world. With nothing but innocence and a mind that longs for his "significant other," Utsumi takes on one of the toughest subjects: love. With the help of the devious and mysterious Kurogawa Yuki, will Utsumi learn how to be fortunate in the game of love? Only through the ups and downs of real life, and the assistance of his friends, will Utsumi be able to take a bite out of life and learn just what love is"
This one I really like, the storyline is very down to earth, a little more realistic, with more believable characters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The size of the images is proportional to the degree of my recommendation!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2010, 10:41 am 
Lurker

Thanks, Wolfwood, I'll have a look for those. :)