Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lupin III. movies
PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 5:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

Last week I saw "Lupin vs. Meitantei Conan" and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. This seems to be so new that I can't even find a page on it at ANN (20100228).

In the kingdom of Vespania the queen dies in a hunting accident, seemingly by the hands of her son, who then commits suicide on the spot. Next in line is a young princess who looks exactly like Môri Ran, and spontaneously an angry mob forms in the streets, chanting they didn't want a bratty princess to be the new queen, and some people even apply terrorist methods to stress their desire.
Despite the public opposition the designated queen has to go on an official trip to Japan, where she is saved by Conan, who, because of a wiff of cigarette smoke from a sommelier, concludes that the wine for the princess must be poisoned. The Japanese police step in. The princess flees from the hotel, as expected bumps into Ran, they change clothes. Ran returns to the hotel and tells the bodyguard squad what happened, while the real princess gets picked up by Mine Fujiko. Conan spots and chases Fujiko's motorbike on his skateboard (yeah, sure...) but they get away.
At the same time Lupin is plotting to steal the Vespanian crown from the hands of the security forces who have been trained by Jigen. Here the audience discovers Vespania's newly found economic wealth: A material that can block any sort of sender/receiver device, which allows one to be completely off any detection device.

When I read about the show I was sure that they'd never make these two guys opponents, like in Lupin stealing something and Conan investigating after him. Of course there must be a greater evil against whom they join forces!
But they chose a more elegant third way.
As you can see the main characters are divided into several groups which are geographically separated for most of the time. Ran is being taken to Vespania by the bodyguards and Conan follows them by hopping onto the airplane. Kogorô teams up with Zenigata. The princess is with Fujiko. Lupin and Jigen are in Vespania from the start. As the movie goes on the characters meet each other, like Lupin joins Fujiko while Jigen gets together with Conan. Thus Lupin and Conan are not really working together, but on their seperate paths they are both working to save the princess.

It was really really fun to see the character interactions although I never liked Conan.
Also interesting were the two sets of character designs next to each other, Aoyama's having faces that remind you of rhinos because of these grotesque noses... I mean, Escaflowne's noses were already pointy, but these are just inhuman!
But overall the graphic appeal was good, animations were just the way they should be, somewhere above the average Conan episode, but not over the top.
Voice acting is as good as ever in these series, congratulations on a job well done.
The opening is a classic Lupin theme, reminding you that Conan is the guest star.
The ending is also nice, it sounded more like Conan to me, but I'm not sure since Conan has attracted a multitude of different styles. It is however important to watch the ending because it contains a few epilogue scenes.

Post subject: Re: Lupin III. movies
PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 7:20 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
The elusive page :mrgreen: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=10605

I've actually been meaning to watch this since it first got subbed but I never got around to it. I've seen about 8 Lupin movies now, most of which I have enjoyed, so this seemed like an interesting crossover feature to check out. Though I have never seen anything with Conan in it before, strangely enough, so that would have been something new for me.

I'm glad to hear that it's worth watching, maybe this will spur me into actually checking it out now!

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 7:07 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:

I entered "Lupin Conan" into the query line and only found the news article that said that there would be a crossover special...

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 8:03 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
I entered "Lupin Conan" into the query line and only found the news article that said that there would be a crossover special...

Oddly enough that was the exact same thing I searched for :shifty: . It has the Lupin Conan special as the second result for me. Not sure why it didn't give you any love :( (That's assuming you didn't actually use quotes in your search, I get basically nothing if I use quotes)

PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 5:54 pm 
Resident Scholar

Lupin III. - Honô no Kioku, aka. Tokyo Crisis (1998).

So there are these small glass plates from the end of the Tokugawa era which are said to contain information about where to find the hidden treasure of the late Shôgun, hidden away so the new Meiji government wouldn't confiscate it.
Apart from the appearance of the guest stars everybody with some expertise on Lupin plots knows what ensues: Lupin intends to steal the treasure, getting Fujiko, Jigen, and Goemon involved, while being chased by Zenigata.
So let's rather talk about what's different - the tactical plot as opposed to the strategical similarities of all Lupin movies, so to speak. 8)

Zenigata has been ordered to deliver said plates to Tokyo and prevent Lupin from stealing them. The plates have been bought by businessman Michael Suzuki who is about to open a themepark as well as a museum of Japanese historical artifacts.
Fujiko, for some reason unknown to me, is managing a well-read magazine and sends her employee Maria to write an article about Zenigata's work.
Maria is a rather mysterious person. Her mother died of an illness shortly after her birth, her father was killed in a fire a few years later, and Maria has the gift of precognition.
As the story develops it becomes clear that Suzuki is more than just the average millionaire and that the glass plates contain something very different from a treasure map of sorts.

In the beginning the story develops somewhat slow. 20 minutes into the special there is not much to further the plot. Lupin tries to steal the plates from Zenigata and fails. He tries to steal the plates from Suzuki's convoy and fails. Only after the highway car chase do things get rolling. That wasn't very arousing, but it gets better every minute up to the climax, I'm sure this is a must-see for every Lupin fan.

After watching I felt a little disappointed, however, realizing how static the characters were, considering the decades they have already been around - these guys have been around since the second half of the sixties, the first animated adaptation published in 1971. And they're still the same. I tend to think Lupin is from an era when character development was an unknown phenomenon in entertainment media...
This is most striking in Lupin's relationship with Fujiko who regularly double-crosses him, so you'd think he'd be more careful in dealing with her, and of course in Zenigata's relationship with Lupin, it is the norm that there is some sort of supervillain against whom they'll work together in one way or another - wouldn't it be plausible if Zenigata's loathing of Lupin was by now only a front, more or less, with a good degree of respect behind it? Yet, I see no evidence regarding this.
Zenigata (who's first name is Kôichi as we learn) makes another point regarding this in this special: Maria becomes fond of him and a romance for the Inspector seems on the way - but it is crushed as she eventually hints that she considers him a sort of fatherly figure. A happy romance would alter the character too much, so it's out of the question. What a pity.

The technical points are all well handled, i.e. graphics, animation, music, sound, and voice acting. Hayashibara Megumi makes an appearance as Maria, obvious from the first sound she utters. She's never been a good technician, seemingly unable to change her voice much, but I still like her and her performance is lovely. There's no better word for it.

On a sidenote, you get to see Zenigata in his apartment, without coat and hat, and I must say I was surprised to see how much he resembles Lupin. They could indeed be brothers, judging by their looks imho.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2010, 7:05 pm 
Resident Scholar

Ai no Da Capo, aka. The Columbus Files (1999)

The Egg of Columbus isn't what we all thought it is - it's actually a source of immense energy and power, able to flatten cities and sink islands!
Fujiko gets her hands onto the papers that contain the secret to acquiring the egg and is immediately attacked by a well-equipped enemy. The documents are lost, but the information is in her head... yet, fleeing into the night with Lupin she plunges down a cliff and loses her memory.
Fujiko gets picked up by a woman named Rosaria who shares their trade, illegally selling historical artifacts, to be exact. Rosaria joins the usual suspects on her search for the Egg, constantly harrassed by their opponent Nazarow (spelled also "Nazaloff" and "Nazaroff", depending on the source), a sort of laughing maniac who rivals Lupin not only in skills but also for Fujiko's affection (and, additionally, given that he wears this conspicuous green jacket I suspect he's either the inspiration for or the real deal behind the villain in "Green versus Red" - but I'll have to see that.)

This movie had funny moments but was overall more serious in tone than the above mentioned Honô no Kioku, which, I think, can also be seen in the more sober character designs (nothing beats "In Gedenken an die Walther P38", aka. "Island of Assassins" though, imho).

I wasn't very happy with Zenigata's role because he appears more as a random Sideshow Bob, if you will, he's not doing anything more important than appearing now and then and being an excuse for some short chase scene or an exchange of antics.
Jigen and Goemon have good scenes... CPR being the word... while Fujiko, bereft of her memories, being nice for a change, makes a cute impression on the surface, but eventually she's just been pushed into the damsel in distres role, which I find no more appealing than her usual materialist self.
Rosaria is being introduced as a professionel, but apart from being a sort of hot-headed person she's a rather colorless character, from all the guest stars that I have seen so far she is, regrettably, the least outstanding (although the girl in "Sweet Lost Night" comes close).

Needn't say much about graphics, animation, music, or voice acting. Nothing outstanding, but solid Lupin quality like we're used to.
It might be interesting to note, though, that Rosaria's voice actress, Toda Keiko, has also voiced Amamori Hajime (Queen Millenia) and Matilda Ajan (Gundam), while she's best known in Japan as the voice of Anpanman.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2010, 6:02 pm 
Resident Scholar

Missed by a Dollar, aka. 1$ Money Wars

In the beginning, Lupin is involved in the auction of a seemingly worthless ring - as a bidder. He bids $1,000,000 but he's beaten by a Dollar by an anonymous bidder on the phone.
Turns out the ring is not so worthless but part of a bigger piece, a mysterious brooch with allegedly arcane powers that grants its wearer fame, fortune, and power. Napoleon, Lenin, and Hitler had owned it before, and after WW2 a sensible person hid it away so it wouldn't be abused anymore. The ring now is part of the solution needed to refind the brooch.
For once Lupin does not help a damsel in distress, but the targets are met: His opponent is a woman. A gorgeous woman to boot.
This woman is the head of a corporation manipulationg the stock markets and plans to earn big bucks with buying all available oil, starting a big war, and then supplying whoever pays best - in order to stop her Lupin is ready to be killed and buried.

Let me come straight to my major source of entertainment: Lupin's gorgeous opponent is beautifully voiced by Koyama Mami, who does such a satisfying job that I am willing to rewatch the movie very soon again just to listen to her dialogues again, perfectly adding to my most favorite basic character design: a redhead with green eyes. Heavenly, just heavenly.
Of course, that's just a personal preference of mine (concerning woman in Anime). :mrgreen:

The rest was at least solid - graphics, animation, music, everything fits into the big picture and fits together smoothly.
A great piece of a Lupin story. Lupin is as flamboyant as ever and all his support characters do also receive a good deal of attention. Zenigata's really great in this one.
Suspense, action, gags, storytelling, everything is in balance in my opinion, entertainment for an evening that no Anime fan should miss.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2010, 5:37 pm 
Resident Scholar

Green versus Red

In a combini in Tokyo a shoplifter is arrested and he claims to be Lupin III. - an imposter, as it turns out, but the news go round the world. Suddenly hundreds of Lupin-wannabes flood the city to show that they're the real deal. They all look the same and drive the same cars, and while half of them wear green jackets and the other half wears red jackets, the only hard evidence of who's the real Lupin is, of course, knowing his voice.
The real Lupin is after a piece of technology so secret it's only known as the "ice-cube", and while he's stealing it he encounters one fake Lupin who does come close to the original's skills.

I was so eager to see this movie, but I was bitterly disappointed.
This movie is not really about Lupin himself. It shows lots of the confusion generated by an army of imposters, how they cooperate or fight, and what the most able of them does when he's not looking and acting like his role model... which makes the central theme of almost any Lupin adventure - the heist - an inferior plot element. I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but I'm saying it was badly executed. Had there been only one imposter, the guy in green, they could have concentrated more on a comprehensible plot, e.g. the Green Imposter pulls off some impressive job and leaves a Lupin signature, and the Original Red of course cannot allow someone to work in his name. The aforementioned Nazaloff (cf. The Columbus Files) would have been a great pick, but it was not meant to be. Very regrettable imho. Instead they create a completely new guy, determined but still amiable... oh well...
Last but not least this movie is somewhat dark and somber with its many night and rain scenes, combined with the wide absence of humor.

Nice little extra: The obligatory female guest is voiced by Hirano Aya. She does a good job, but since it's an adult role the director should not have used her "girl" voice, because she does have a solid range that allows for characters that are older than 16. It sounds like Suzumiya Haruhi was in there.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 6:22 pm 
Resident Scholar

First Contact, aka. Lupin III.: Episode 0

We hear the story how Lupin's team was assembled in New York.
Originally working alone he had a friend named Brad who became the lover of one Mine Fujiko. Having failed in his attempt to steal a certain treasure from a Mafia godfather named Galvez (because Jigen works for that clan), Brad makes a successful attempt but gets killed afterwards by Galvez's mobsters. Zenigata is still working for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police and has orders to catch Fujiko, as Lupin is still unknown to him. On the other side of the Pacific Goemon starts a journey to find the perfect sword, while Jigen is seeking a duel with Lupin, the only guy who ever managed to escape him. Of course their paths cross and so the story begins...

Nice idea, and definitely not too complicated, but I still don't get why they're propagating Fujiko's role in that team because it seems that she's more often working for the other side or going about her own business with no regard for the lives of the male trio.

The female guest appearance is completely neglectable as her role only consists of meeting Jigen who tells her the story, her existence disappears behind the flashback, and her few lines are not noteworthy - such a waste of Paku Romi. I wonder whether this small job paid enough to even make up for the fee of the cab that she took to the studio.

There's nothing to complain about the technical stuff, everything solid and valid for a "special episode".

All in all: Very interesting for Lupin III. fans, and recommendable for the average Anime fan.

--------------

The Secret of Twilight Gemini

An old and ailing top dog of France's underworld, a sort of mentor to Lupin, gives our hero half a diamond, part of the "Twilight Gemini", seemingly the key to a treasure worth several hundred million Francs (the former currency of France), hidden in Morocco.
Lupin and Jigen travel to Morocco to investigate and coincidentally (?) meet Fujiko. Soon they find themselves in the middle of an "old" ethnic struggle between two tribes (one of which acts as the oppressor to supply a "bad guy").

There's not much more to say about the plot. The whole thing cannot be rated higher than "so-so" imho, and that's not because the subtitles on the DVD are so crappy. It's more like a display of a great cultural and historic ignorance on the side of the scriptwriters.
The story is set in Morocco, so you get sand desert scenes and people in Bedouin clothing, but that "old struggle" that I mentioned goes only 100 years back (just recent history) and involves the (bad) Igo tribe suppressing the Gelto tribe with the help of the British, involving heavy support like tanks - the horror! The British were never involved in Morocco, as far as I know, and I never thought that Lupin was set in the future: This movie is from 1996, and there clearly were no tanks in the late 19th century.
The female guest appearance is a native, but she's blond, and she bathes naked in the midst of the oasis... pretty unlikely in a country like Morocco.
On top of that the good tribe worships a lizard god, despite Morocco being an Arabic and Muslim state for about 1200 years... it's like they invented a totally new place inspired by northern Africa and named it Morocco for the fun of it. They invented so many countries (like Vespania) - why not this time, too, and spare me the frustration???

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2010, 5:01 pm 
Resident Scholar

Harimao's Treasure

It's not exactly your imagination or a coincidence that the opening theme of this Lupin special sounds a little like the archetypical James Bond soundtrack: Lupin joins forces with a retired British top-ace agent.
Said former agent has signed the insurance contract for the Eurostar railroad line between London and Paris, and one day a train inside the tunnel below the Strait of Dover is attacked by terrorists - more than 80 people die and the insurance damage sums up to 7 billion Euros.
But being an original Englishman, stiff upperlip and all, the agent, together with his daughter (you guessed it: the mind-bogglingly beautiful female guest appearance) and his secretary (the ever present and incognito Mine Fujiko), travels across the world in search of Harimao's treasure. Harimao was a Malayan guerilla leader during WW2 whose trust the English agent gained, and the value of the treasure is said to be unimaginable; so unimaginable that paying the insurance debt will be a piece of cake.
Of course dark forces are also behind the treasure: A Nazi cult of sorts, lead by a figure known as "Herr Mafrodite" (a horribly telling name). Since you need three "keys" to get to the treasure itself, the agent, Lupin, and the Nazis meet while searching for those keys before the matter is settled in southeast Asia.

Well, a Nazi cult *sigh*... led by a crossdresser whose identity is given away too early.
They could have been a little more creative here, but overall I felt entertained.
The fights are drawn in a somewhat comical style, but there's blood. And I cannot remember a Lupin movie in which more people obviously died - more than 80 in the tunnel, chasing Lupin in the beginning two police cars explode, and half a dozen more cars sink into an icey lake, their occupants probably finding an icey grave. Do I remember correctly that Lupin, despite all action, was usually rather light-hearted? With serious dialogues but without a real bodycount?

Another "WTF!?" moment is Diana, the agent's daughter, getting one of the "keys" just when Lupin is about to lay his hands on it, after getting to the room in the usual fashion: battling death traps of all sorts.
How does Diana get there? Through an open window. It's so idiotic it's better to assume this scene is meant as a sort of parody...

The subtitles on the DVD are an eyesore, at least if you understand basic Japanese. It is obvious that what you read are English subs for the hearing-impaired, it's the written dialogues of the English dub that gives us pearls like Jigen constantly calling Lupin "boss", Zenigata being called "Matlock", "Sherlock", and other such names which do not appear in the Japanese text, and Baudelaire being turned into Agatha Christie... probably because they assumed the audience was stupid and didn't know Baudelaire anyway... creative, but in the wrong place.

What baffled me the most is about the climax so I'll put it in spoiler tags.
Spoiler
Harimao's treasure is not just valuables gathered in a hidden cave or something: It's a fully functional submarine built out of gold and platinum and what have you, with lots of glittering valuables stashed away in a sort of cargo bay. That is ridiculous for three reasons:
The first is that gold is a very soft metal, it is unfeasible to built a submarine with it, and a military-grade submarine to boot, because gold will not withstand much pressure.
The second is the question how a band of guerillas on the Malay peninsula who had no support from a technologically advanced nation should be able to built a submarine in the first place, because even if you have blueprints you need a shipyard with trained workers and engineers to build such a thing.
Last but not least the agent reminisces about Harimao turning against the Japanese as well as the British, and, like Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. At the same time he hoards prescious stones and metals worth billions and billions of Dollars - am I the only one seeing a sort of paradoxical loophole?

So, apart from the climax and resolution I felt entertained, I'd say "I didn't lose my time".

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 12:43 am 

I really ought to watch more Lupin movies. I've watched a handful at most. I liked all of them. Once I finish this college semester I'll definitely watch some of the ones you've reviewed in this thread. Sorry about disrupting your thread, it's going to look odd with my post now. Until now every post was a movie review.
Edit: I forgot about Acmurphy's post.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2010, 7:48 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
Sorry about disrupting your thread, it's going to look odd with my post now.

Please don't tell me you refrain from posting at times because you don't wish to be interruptive or something? What Mmsven said about feeling like talking to himself in a dark corner could be said about me, too, since I post all this stuff to invite other opinions - which should be posted right here. Feel free to add your own stuff once you watched one of the movies I already mentioned or any other I have not seen yet.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 7:59 pm 
Resident Scholar

Dead or Alive

There's an island with a state's treasure and its defenses are said to be impregnable.
As we know, Lupin indulges in "impregnable defenses" and gives it a try, but he needs to retreat rather hastily. Somehow the scene makes you think the writers had watched to much Genocyber: The island, the core of which is a derelict aircraft carrier, is defended by a nanomachine system that forms spikey weapons that attack the intruder. To complete the Genocyber-flair there are heaps of corpses, bearing witness to other people's attempts at taking the buried treasure - whatever it might be.

So Lupin and company must find a way to dodge the defense system. To complicate everything a little bit the guy who built it lies dead inside his own creation, and the once peaceful and thriving nation has been taken over by the tyrant Kubikari-shôgun, fittingly translated as "General Headhunter", a brutish knife-wielder, who's had the former king and the prince killed in his coup.
Trying to get information from the General's daughter, Lupin makes the acquaintance of Oleander (Ole Ander?), who on the other hand was the prince's former lover or love-interest, and that prince seems not as dead as the general likes to think. As Lupin is inching closer towards the solution of his treasure-hunter problems, a resistance group under the leadership of the prince is preparing their strike against the oppressor.

Immediate impression: The first thing you get to see is a huge decrepit graveyard, in a dark and stormy night. Ominous I'd say.
I have never seen such dead-serious character designs in any Lupin publication I have ever taken a look at. It automatically cools the atmosphere of the movie and you're not expecting much goofing around. They kinda try to pull off some of the usual slapstick, but with these character designs it just doesn't work out. This goes to the point where the voices of Lupin and Zenigata, with their usual tone, sound totally out of place.

As opposed to the many (or not so many...) OVAs and specials I have already described above, this is a "real" movie, I guess that's why more money was invested in the visuals. Besides the somewhat depressed atmosphere and the serious designs, the animation is well done, though, imho.

The only notable guest seiyû would be Yokoyama Chisa, of Tenchi Muyô and Sakura Taisen fame. But her role as Emerah is minimal and has no whatsoever importance, all the way until the character leaves the stage in an equally unimportant fashion - which in the end looks like a loose thread, like a wasted character. Her only purpose is to give Fujiko an introduction into the adventure, and I guess that two female guests would eventually be one too many for a Lupin III. feature.

It's really not bad... watch it if you can, it's not a waste of time, but for me, well, it won't become one of my favorites.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 7:08 pm 
Resident Scholar

Voyage to Danger, aka. Lupin Ansatsu Meirei ("The order to kill Lupin", 1993)

Zenigata finds himself relieved from the post of being the head of the Lupin commission. He's now supposed to investigate "Hot Shell", an organisation that deals with arms, and his former task has been given to some dubious hotshot named Keith Hayden - who, as we learn soon, is supposed to finish Lupin and his team, preferrably more dead than alive.
Lupin decides to help Zenigata bring down Hot Shell and grab their money while doing so (because Hot Shell's boss likes to store money like Scrooge McDuck: piled up in a special bunker, instead of depositing it on Swiss bank accounts).
Then enter the female guest star: A top notch Russian nuclear scientist named Karen Korosky, impossibly older than 23, but already at the top of her league. As to be expected at the beginning of the 90s, Russia being too broke to pay appropriate salaries, she is being wooed by states and privateers like Hot Shell to work for them. Just as she is about to get abducted she is rescued by Lupin's careful plan - he needs her to drive a huge, "Red October" like submarine, which he'll then offer to Hot Shell in order to get into the organization.
Dropping off Karen, Goemon, and Zenigata on Hawaii, Lupin continues to Hot Shell's base with Jigen and Fujiko, doing hot jobs for them while working out a plan to steal their money.

I don't really know what to say about the movie (which is a "special"). It showed some stupid ideas, like, as mentioned, the weapons dealer who stores tons of dollar bills in a fortified bunker as if the bundles were potatoes, the submarine deck that withstands a 30 milli, submarines that you can just steal by pulling them underwater by a wire behind a big submarine, the nuclear scientist who also knows how to drive a huge submarine, cash being stored in a satellite, and so on.
The only reason why I rated this "so-so" instead of "weak" is the Lupin-Zenigata collaboration and the fact that Jigen and Karen share a decisive moment in their past, a moment from ten years ago - which is the reason why I assume that Karen can hardly be older than 23.

While Voyage to Danger has all the classic Lupin elements and surely does have potential, it's like you wait and wait and wait for... for what? Maybe a big bang of sorts, a punch line, something out of the ordinary. But it never comes. The special failed to touch me, it did not excite me. It was just some story with gags and action elements.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2011, 9:20 pm 
Post Master

Despite never having other Lupin III experience, I have watched Tokyo Crisis and Castle of Cagliostro. There doesn't seem to be much deep backstory so I don't think it matters. Is the TV series any good? I'm considering trying Part II. The original series from 1971 is probably too dated for me to enjoy.

Watched Tokyo Crisis a long time ago. I remember it being quite a blast of ADHD action which I liked quite a lot. I don't remember anything specific about the story or characters.

Watched Cagliostro recently, which I have conflicting thoughts about. The movie felt too long. The story is of course something only meant to get the action underway, and I don't have any deep connections to the characters, so I don't see why they didn't pick up the pace. There is still a lot of that action though and the movie is well-made otherwise.