Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drawings by G-Core
PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 4:02 pm 
Major Contributor

I might not be the best artist in the world this side of Monet and Picasso, but i do like to draw at times when i feel that is the best form of self therapy. I would like to share my raw talent and let it be recognized however it is best seen fit by the experts here. Reminder: I don't have one of those machines where the art i draw is transferred to the computer so what i did to compensate was take a photo of the drawing and transfer that to the computer.

The first piece i wish to present is one that will hopefully bring some humor. It was a play on the words "naughty bits" and i drew it in much like the way a store would draw it. :P2: I took the shot again to make sure the whole thing could be covered, hopefully an improvement.

The second piece was inspired in part by the image that i seem to mentally project of laid back surfer dudes. The name at the bottom is what i felt i should name the character:

The third and final piece for today was taken from my desire to create a black male character. I put this one together in a matter of minutes and even had the name i wanted to give the character decided before the first pen ink touched the paper:

I hope to make female characters sometime soon but for now, i seem to be more accustomed to making male characters and i'll see what else i can do with drawing words and so here is my gallery ready to be judged with your kind indulgence.

Post subject: Re: Drawings by G-Core
PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 8:34 pm 
Resident Scholar

What brought you from movie clips to drawings?

PostPosted: November 28th, 2010, 9:23 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
What brought you from movie clips to drawings?

I guess the movie clip thing in a sense wasn't really for me. Somewhere in the back of my mind, there was always that thought that it wasn't all that worth it. But when i draw, i feel like regardless of my artistry not being the best, i feel comfortable. I feel like i'm making things that aren't really forced to the point that it has to be planned very down to the wire in terms of perfection, getting everything right in one take. When i'm drawing, even if i make a mistake, i don't feel that sense of i failed at making it perfect when i feel more like i made something nice.

When i was in school, art class was hands down my favorite class next to history. I would do all these drawing projects, playing with clay and gluing newspaper and magazine cut ups and even the teachers i had said that i was really into it and said i had potential, at the very least. So even if my drawings aren't exactly too rich in quality, i like doing them and i would very much like to hear what people think about each one i put out there.

For instance, i couldn't wait till tomorrow to draw a female character and even though i'm more used to drawing male characters since the anatomy isn't much of a worry, i think i managed quite well. The color choices were inspired in part by the wacky choices of color seen in some anime characters and the name i chose for her was thought up on the spot. Hope you like it.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 12:39 am 

Before I lay down any critique, I just wanna ask where you want to take all this. If its just gonna be for fun then I'll probably lay off a bit. Otherwise I'll give the art spiel.

But if you do wanna improve and achieve something, then drawing is going to be less fun and games. It has its technical aspects, and while its less formulaic so to speak than math its not exactly all airy fairy feelings either.

Frankly speaking, there isn't any semblance of human anatomy in those images. Even if you were aiming for a cartoony style, note that cartoon characters have their own set of proportions to call their own. Left arm will still need to resemble the right and bend in the same way etc etc. If anything, single still images have a smaller margin of error than like movie clips. In the end, its a still image standing there and it is and will get scrutinized. A moving image, not so much.

So yeah, where do you want to take this? Is it just for yourself? What do you want to create? Do you want to show anybody? Do you need to show anybody?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 11:00 am 
Major Contributor

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Before I lay down any critique, I just wanna ask where you want to take all this. If its just gonna be for fun then I'll probably lay off a bit. Otherwise I'll give the art spiel.

But if you do wanna improve and achieve something, then drawing is going to be less fun and games. It has its technical aspects, and while its less formulaic so to speak than math its not exactly all airy fairy feelings either.

Frankly speaking, there isn't any semblance of human anatomy in those images. Even if you were aiming for a cartoony style, note that cartoon characters have their own set of proportions to call their own. Left arm will still need to resemble the right and bend in the same way etc etc. If anything, single still images have a smaller margin of error than like movie clips. In the end, its a still image standing there and it is and will get scrutinized. A moving image, not so much.

So yeah, where do you want to take this? Is it just for yourself? What do you want to create? Do you want to show anybody? Do you need to show anybody?

If i created this thread then of course i wanted to show people. I know very well that i need improvement on my technique but in the end, i just draw what i feel is there in my mind and can come out well on paper in my mind if no one else's. Like i said before, i want everyone to tell me what they think so that includes both positive and negative criticism which i also seem to be handling well which may be another reason why i started this.

My first piece for today was an attempt at the kind of humor seen in the cartoon section of the newspapers. For this, i saw fit to using Pac-Man as the basis for my brand of humor:

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 12:04 pm 

Then I'll just be frank.

You currently have little to no drawing ability. Lines are wobbly, theres little semblance of form and shape. You have just picked your Charmander and left Pallette Town. I can't really give any solid advice at this stage, so I'll just try to start you off somewhere.

So currently you need to get your bearings. Start somewhere before going somewhere. Drawing from life is normally the best place to go. Drawings are a representation of reality. Even if you want to go stylistic, you need some foundation.

Since you are drawing characters, I reckon drawing people is what interests you. So, draw from life. Of course copying and drawing are two different things. When drawing from life, you aren't trying to recreate the image. You are trying to present it again with whatever you are using, be it pen or pencil or whatever. It is going to be different from the original image, and that is nothing to fuss about. And the aim of such exercises is not the result, but what you learned from it. So, draw with the intent to learn. Try to understand the various shapes and parts that compose the human body rather than trying to get location of finger A perfect. There are people out there who are damned friggin good copy artists, but they are nothing more than human versions of photocopiers. So try not to fall into that hole, although you kinda need a strange sorta talent to actually gain photocopy level skills. But those skills are worthless. You aren't trying to perfectly map the same set of lines onto another sheet of paper, you are trying to understand the shapes and form and representing it in your own way on another piece of paper.

There are anatomy books and guides and other crap, but it is essentially best to strike it out and figure it out on your own. The learning process is what you need and its different for every person. Books can be useful for the really technical side of things but not something I reckon you should fuss about too much at the moment.

So my advice would just be to draw from life and figure out how to draw proper human figures. Once you have a clear idea of the general shapes of body parts, then you can sorta start drawing without a reference. But even the most experienced artists use references, so its not a shameful thing to do nor is it a sign of weakness. Although complete reliance is always a bad thing.

Also, drawing has less to do with hands than most people think. If you got enough eye to hand coordination to pick up a ball, you can draw. It is all in perception. You gotta change the way you see things(bloody abstract idea I know). There are people who draw and think they are the best shit ever(been there myself), but that is because they haven't really opened their eyes and truly compared their work to others, nor do they truly understand the makings of an image. Changing your perception essentially means elevating your skills. You see how an image could be better, you can imagine the final results so just move your hands and get it over with. If you can see that you aren't very good, then you know that you need to improve. Then you need to see just how to improve and get there. Sounds kinda vague, but I feel thats the best way to explain how it is for me.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 2:09 pm 
Major Contributor

^ I'll take all of that under advisement. In the meantime, would you like some hot chocolate? :sweat:

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 4:08 pm 

... are there marshmallows to go with that?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 4:10 pm 
Major Contributor

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
... are there marshmallows to go with that?

Oh crap, i forgot about them. Maybe next time, 'kay? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 5:13 pm 
Major Contributor

To the greatest video game company in the world, thanks for the memories! :d^_^b:

For all the days and nights and hours i spent playing Tekken and Ridge Racer games, i salute you! :bow:

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 8:12 pm 
Resident Scholar

Oh my, G-Core fumbled with Storm_Shinobi's sensitive trigger by doodling a bit for the fun of it. :P2:

Anyways, drawing people is something I never achieved. They all looked gruesome.
My arts teacher said I had some talent drawing things, about 13 years ago, and at the time I was happy with it. Like, an apple. Back then I liked experimenting with shading and lighting effects, but when I graduated I didn't have the motivation anymore, and only my first attempt at the apple remains, which is to say, the worst one. :sweat:
Maybe I'll present it later this week, also for the fun of it.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2010, 5:56 pm 
Major Contributor

Shinobi's gonna kill me... :whistle:

PostPosted: December 28th, 2010, 6:35 am 

Draw a Spider Pig and I'll postpone your execution.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 9:48 am 
Resident Scholar

42317 wrote:
(...) only my first attempt at the apple remains, which is to say, the worst one. :sweat:
Maybe I'll present it later this week, also for the fun of it.

Dammit, forgot it at home... oh well, can't have everything...

PostPosted: January 8th, 2011, 8:12 pm 
Major Contributor

And a happy New Year goes out to the critics of my work :booyah: :