Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Might have posted here a few years ago, but...
PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 1:04 am 
Lurker

Well, Hello everyone. I'm Rory - i used to float around the old animetric forums way back when (not long after watching outlaw star and cowboy bebop i discovered this site, and signed up to the forums - can't remember the year now, sorry! :sweat: ) Consequently, a lot of the old names look familiar - Spazmaster666 and Cypher to name two that i've noticed in the last few minutes. I pretty much drifted out of anime for the last few years, and only out of nostalgia recently started re-watching it. Then I remembered why i loved it, and this site and these forums (in their previous incarnation) really contributed to that, so here I am. Nice to see a lot of the old-style smilies are available to use too. :lol2:
Basically, I feel I'll need to catch up on what's been going on with the site over the years (what happened to Aeka from Tenchi Muyo being the site's poster girl?!) and in the anime world generally. Over the last year, I've watched Samurai Champloo,Club-to-Death-Angel Dokuro-Chan, Hellsing, Elfen Lied, and, last month, Lucky Star (which is so kawaii it's untrue). So, expect some requests for recommendations on all fronts, and possibly advice on how to learn Japanese. :)

Post subject: Re: Might have posted here a few years ago, but...
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 4:11 pm 
Major Contributor

Welcome back then! :clap:

In regards to the Ayeka banner, it was taken down months ago by the new site owner Aaron purely to try out some new ideas. Eventually the design became what you see it as of now.

Don't have the answers to some other questions you asked but hopefully, old and new friends will help you with that.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 7:59 am 
Resident Scholar

Hi Rory! I do remember you... I can't remember anything concrete but intuitively I think you were one of the quality contributors.
Hm... unless I'm confusing you with somebody, since you became a member of the new board in April 2007. Although it might just be that my memory is failing me and you never were a member of BRS Animetric under Rowena's watch...
Ah, got it: You were Takayuki Yamano. Good connotations also. :P2:

rory_okane wrote:
a lot of the old names look familiar - Spazmaster666 and Cypher to name two that i've noticed in the last few minutes.

I fear those two are only members in a formal sense. CK never really made the return, he more or less just said hello (but he's on myspace), and Spaz hasn't been heard of in a year or so. It's a real pity. While there are definitely nice people around these days there are not enough of them. At least not enough to, you know, play the BRS games, like the quotes and the character matches and so on. With you around, and I really hope you'll become a regular, we'd need another five people who drop in at least once or twice a week.

rory_okane wrote:
what happened to Aeka from Tenchi Muyo being the site's poster girl?!

Some pesky kids voted her out of office. :P2:

rory_okane wrote:
Club-to-Death-Angel Dokuro-Chan

Ah, Bokusatsu Tenshi is a real joy. I'm happy you liked it.

rory_okane wrote:
expect some requests for recommendations on all fronts, and possibly advice on how to learn Japanese. :)

I'll be around, so please feel free to ask.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 7:16 pm 
Lurker

Sorry - I thought I'd written my old name down. I was indeed Takayuki Yamano. Well met, both of you.
I actually got around to playing Tokimeki Check-In a few months ago. It was... interesting. But yeah. I recently re-read Love Hina all the way through (first time I'd done so in about three years) and reflected on how much my life has changed since then - I used to really identify with Keitaro, because I was struggling to get into Oxford University (my Toudai) - as it turns out, i got rejected and went to a different medical school instead. Now, like Urashima, I'm 20, and I MIGHT be getting kicked out - I had to re-sit an exam, and I'm not sure if I passed - so rather feeling like a ronin at the moment too. Now all i need is Hinata-Sou and the associated harem. :)
Still, great to be otaku again - just need to brush up on my Japanese. :)
And it's a shame about CK and Spaz... I do remember we had one member named the Drow/Drew or something - rather scary character, as i recall, but nice really. He hasn't shown up, has he?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 12:16 am 

I remember you Takayuki Yamano! Welcome back! You were one of the active members back then.
Drow did show up briefly some time ago, I think he mentioned he was attending high school in japan for a year or so, lucky guy!
I hope your exam turns out fine.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 8:12 am 
Resident Scholar

rory_okane wrote:
I do remember we had one member named the Drow/Drew or something - rather scary character, as i recall, but nice really. He hasn't shown up, has he?

The guy from Denmark. Well, I tracked him down and invited him, but as with all the others I could find he just dropped in, said hello, and disappeared. With the forum down for a number of years it's hardly surprising that interests shifted.
I think Spaz quit in order to concentrate on his education, but Aaron might know more about that. His dropping out is even more tragic because he had a serious misunderstanding with Caiobrz a short while earlier, who then quit because he felt offended by the other's style of communication. I was not exactly happy about Spaz deterring a good contributor and then making his exit, too, especially because Caiobrz refused my plea to come back after it had become clear that Spaz wouldn't return anytime soon. Given our active member count which is low anyway that was a harsh and unnecessary blow to community liveliness.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 11:03 am 
Lurker

I noticed... we had a fair few more than this back in like 2005/6, didn't we? Back when Rowena was running the site, I mean...
And what-ho, Wolf-wood! Nice to see you again - noticed a few more names in the list that I remember recognizing. All is not lost! :)

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 7:04 pm 
Resident Scholar

rory_okane wrote:
I noticed... we had a fair few more than this back in like 2005/6, didn't we? Back when Rowena was running the site, I mean...

Acmurphy has tracked back the closing day to April 23rd, 2006. At that time there were more a dozen people who showed up at least once a week, with more than ten new posts per day being the norm. Nowadays I'm happy if I find four new posts when I log in.
Maybe Aaron should advertise the forums stronger on the main site?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2010, 7:46 pm 
Lurker

I agree. I wish we could get the format of the old forums back - the post icons were envelopes that changed colour from blue to red if it was a "hot topic"...
And the smileys looked way better.

PostPosted: August 27th, 2010, 10:12 am 
Resident Scholar

rory_okane wrote:
I agree. I wish we could get the format of the old forums back - the post icons were envelopes that changed colour from blue to red if it was a "hot topic"...
And the smileys looked way better.

I don't even remember that "hot topic" color thing... and I don't think the smileys were way better, but I believe that we had a few more smileys, although imho the most needed have returned due to Aarons efforts. If there's something you miss you can leave a comment in the "Site Comments" section, "Improvement" thread.

Last but not least you seem to relate the old forum's higher popularity to superficial design elements - correct me if I'm wrong. Because I believe that cannot be it. I tend to think that the old Animetric (resp. SailorMoon fansite) was established at a time when Anime fandom outside Japan hit a first peak, and, more importantly, in the latter half of the 1990s there were not as many forums around as there are today. Nowadays every half-assed website has an own forum (or Wiki for that matter), and there are probably a thousand times more Anime forums out there than our forum has posts.
When I searched for the keywords "Anime forum discussion board" in early 2004 Animetric appeared on either the first or the second page of my search engine (AlltheWeb.com; I dismissed a few Anime forums because they were either German or there was something else deterring me). Looking it up now gives me 21,600,000 results! I could spend the rest of the year searching until I find Animetric. It's far easier to find a suitable communication platform without much ado, and thus much less chance to find exactly Animetric.

If I'm not mistaken our main site, Animetric.com, has some traffic?
That's why I thought that putting more of a spotlight on the existence of the discussion board there might lure a few people to these twigs of the site tree.

PostPosted: September 26th, 2010, 8:37 am 
Lurker

I'm sorry if I gave you that impression, but I in no way meant to insinuate that the change in superficial graphics and smilies have resulted in reduced traffic. I was merely having a nostalgic moment, that's all! :P

PostPosted: September 26th, 2010, 10:03 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
As 42317 said, I'm always open to adding new smileys if there are some you would like. I don't really have a problem with the design of the current ones, but people are always finding new emotions they want to express with them and I try to help with that.

As for the site, yes it is still doing reasonably well. It gets around 100,000 visits and a little over a million pageviews a month. The forum, on the other hand, is a enigma. I've tried a lot of things over the years but I have never been able to materially affect the number of members. (I'm sure the sheer number of anime based forums out there isn't helping anything.) We were at least able to sustain a small group for a while there, but even that has petered off as time went on. I was also fairly absent as the end of my masters program closed in and my anime watching went through the floor. Even still I was trying to keep up with reviews of shorter spanned stuff (hentai, doujinshi, CG sets, small B-Games) to make sure the site had new content if nothing else. Now that I have graduated I am going to try to not only keep up with the reviews but expand the site and get the forum back to being a bit more lively.

Whether or not any of that will actually have an effect is up in the air, but I should be around more often if nothing else :P2: