Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 5:41 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 6:53 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: March 12th, 2007, 11:34 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Who here watches it and what are your thoughts on the series thus far?



My thoughts, I think it's possibly one of the best anime to come out in quite a while. You can never go wrong with zombies and fan service as long as it's within reason.



EDIT:

Reason I edited this is because they're going overboard with the fan service now.


Last edited by Sublyminal on August 17th, 2010, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 15th, 2010, 6:17 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
I have taken a look at scenes on YouTube and almost got into a flame war with the zealous fans. Honestly, imho this series is as necessary as athlete's foot. Zombies, gore, and fanservice. It's for adolescent kids. Maybe I would've liked it if or when I was 16yo.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 15th, 2010, 12:47 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: April 3rd, 2007, 8:57 pm
Posts: 859
I haven't watched it but I did read a few chapters of the manga. I didn't find the storyline engaging enough, besides I didn't really liked the overly exaggerated voluptuous character designs for the girls and the fact that 50% of it was fanservice. I'm more into interesting plots.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 9:50 am 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: March 12th, 2007, 11:34 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
42317 wrote:
I have taken a look at scenes on YouTube and almost got into a flame war with the zealous fans. Honestly, imho this series is as necessary as athlete's foot. Zombies, gore, and fanservice. It's for adolescent kids. Maybe I would've liked it if or when I was 16yo.




Good thing is that I don't hate on other peoples opinions. But, I don't believe it's for adolescents, not considering I'm well past that stage in my life. I'm more into it because of the zombies and gore than anything, though I will admit that the fan service is getting to be a little bit ridiculous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 2:55 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Sublyminal wrote:
Good thing is that I don't hate on other peoples opinions.

Neither do I.
I'm not saying people who like such series are dumb, I think they're just easy to please.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 11:29 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: March 12th, 2007, 11:34 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
42317 wrote:
Sublyminal wrote:
Good thing is that I don't hate on other peoples opinions.

Neither do I.
I'm not saying people who like such series are dumb, I think they're just easy to please.



I'd have to disagree, since I am one of the hardest anime fans to please. I just have a huge weakness for Zombies and Gore (horror buff heh). I do wonder at times why the hell they have so much fan service. It's like okay, yea we just seen Rei's panties, no need to show them five seconds later. I'm not sure if they're trying to take away from the story or if they as you said are trying to please their adolescent fans.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 4:08 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: May 18th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Posts: 375
Location: vancouver, canada
i am easy to please!
although i do have particular issues.
unnecessary or what i call blatant fan service is what i detest.
i am fine with everybody walking around naked in an onsen, or somebody falling down and catching a glimpse (due to character). otherwise it just detracts from the story for me.

i would not say it is an adolescent thing because i am sure the majority of viewers are over the age. they are simply perverted. there is nothing wrong with this perversion, but for me i prefer porn over fan service. why not go all the way? seriously, when your girlfriend is prancing around the room in a short skirt are you just going to be satisfied at looking? Yeah, I don't think so!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 5:03 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
dbd_addict wrote:
why not go all the way? seriously, when your girlfriend is prancing around the room in a short skirt are you just going to be satisfied at looking? Yeah, I don't think so!

I'm not having a girlfriend for the stories she tells.
But I'm watching Anime to hear/see a story, and gore and fan service I have so far experienced as a means to hide the fact that the writers didn't come far story-wise. Which is to say I don't feel entertained by fan service anymore. And I say "anymore" because I am the guy whio years ago made a list on which I counted every simple pantyshot in 200 episodes of SailorMoon, indicating which character contributed the most (the blondes).

You're absolutely right from my pov - cut the fanservice and bring on the real stuff.
If nakedness and fooling around in a sexy manner fits the situation I have no problems with it either, but once pantyflashs and big bouncies become a self-purpose it is painfully easy to spot and I feel severely deterred. In SailorMoon it was okay because there was enough of a story to make up for the fan service, i.e. it did not become the purpose of the series.
But when it comes to High School of the Dead I'm under the severe impression that its contents simply please the most basic human instincts, like a yellowpress tabloid does. Blood, sex, and violence.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 7:08 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: May 18th, 2007, 6:40 pm
Posts: 375
Location: vancouver, canada
42317 wrote:
I'm not having a girlfriend for the stories she tells.
Oh I do not know, some of the stories my exes tell seems like they are straight out of a book. or even better.

42317 wrote:
Which is to say I don't feel entertained by fan service anymore. And I say "anymore" because I am the guy whio years ago made a list on which I counted every simple pantyshot in 200 episodes of SailorMoon, indicating which character contributed the most (the blondes).
Serious? HAHAHA! I have not watched a single episode of SM. I probably watched a total of 1 hour if you put together all the 2-5 minutes of my viewing time of SM.

42317 wrote:
But when it comes to High School of the Dead I'm under the severe impression that its contents simply please the most basic human instincts, like a yellowpress tabloid does. Blood, sex, and violence.
The thing is that I cannot classify "fan service". I do not consider it sex. It has this peeper/voyeur feeling to me. Kind of cheap and sleazy. I do not mind mindless blood, sex and violence but anime "fan service" is just so "lame" to me that it does the opposite. Perhaps I am so jaded and have lost my imagination. Although even when I was a kid I thought looking up girl's skirts was lame. Why? because it is just underwear. If the girl was going commando, then it is interesting. ha.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 7:22 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
dbd_addict wrote:
I have not watched a single episode of SM. I probably watched a total of 1 hour if you put together all the 2-5 minutes of my viewing time of SM.

You don't have to like it. SailorMoon saved me from a macho fate, so she has a special place in my life... I watched the whole Anime four times, which, added up, is a total of one month in front of the screen.

dbd_addict wrote:
I cannot classify "fan service". I do not consider it sex.

Neither do I. I was just extrapolating the keywords.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: High School of the Dead
PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 12:43 am 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: March 12th, 2007, 11:34 pm
Posts: 140
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
42317 wrote:
dbd_addict wrote:
I have not watched a single episode of SM. I probably watched a total of 1 hour if you put together all the 2-5 minutes of my viewing time of SM.

You don't have to like it. SailorMoon saved me from a macho fate, so she has a special place in my life... I watched the whole Anime four times, which, added up, is a total of one month in front of the screen.

dbd_addict wrote:
I cannot classify "fan service". I do not consider it sex.

Neither do I. I was just extrapolating the keywords.




You watched sailor moon, four times? WOW that's hardcore. I tried watching one ep and nearly fell asleep. You know the saying though, to each his/her own.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group