Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lucky Star: this is not Azumanga Daioh!
PostPosted: September 4th, 2007, 11:28 pm 
Regular

what gives?
not funny... at all. there were amusing seconds...
i finally laughed out loud during episode 6! with the initial-d spoof! 5 episodes of no laughter? i do not get it, was azumanga daioh just like this? or is it me?
i loved azumanga daioh! and this is basically the exact same thing, right?! yet i was not dying of laughter...

it does not even hold a candle next to Ichigo Marshmaro either... :(

i love these slice of life school anime! what is happening!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2007, 11:33 pm 

Rather than being non stop humour like Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star is much more... slower and meandering. Like Aria.

And I don't mind Lucky Star. I watch it just to sit back and stone and rest at it. And it brings a smile to my face.

And of course Lucky Star is focused to a much more otaku audience due to its heaps of endless anime references.

Its just a different kind of slice of life than Azudai. I suppose.

And Episode 19 was pretty damn funny. But I suppose Lucky Star is a bit too popular for what it is. So even if it has hordes of fanboys behind it, just don't expect it to be the next epic #1 or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 12:15 am 
Regular

yeah, i noticed the many anime references. i wish they would use them in a more funny way... ie. initial-D spoof

they spent what felt like the entire half of an episode telling how each character eats certain confections. what the hell? i am waiting for them to solve math questions in a later episode... "and this is how i solved that quadratic! blah blah blah"
"oh really? this is what i did, blah blah blah...":?

though i must admit the Timotei reference was hilarious! blue haired girl is the only interesting character...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 2:59 am 

I'm more of a fan of Tsukasa's antics. And I didn't really get the Timotei thing.

Lucky Star is the perfect thing to watch when I just wanna forget about life and... space out about completely nothing. Although so is Aria, but there isn't any more Aria as of yet so this will do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 2:00 pm 
Regular

i loved the aria series. actually i found aria to have quite a lot of nice stories. if you like aria another relaxed anime i highly recommend is Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko. it is a much slower pace with very little dialogue since the girl is by herself most of the time.

timotei is a hair product, but what i found funny was how konata went about trying to get a response.

i am slowly liking the other characters now... tsukasa and her cellphone was cute. miyuki because she is exactly like onegai teacher girl... at first i was bothered at how similar they were, but now i like her because of how similar they are. haha!

i think i understand now, why i do not like lucky star as much as i did azumanga daioh. the "slice of life" that they are portraying is nothing "new" for me. in azumanga daioh they would introduce many items and customs that are japanese, while lucky star is not japanese specific. hence my boredom because they are talking about stuff i already know... it was slightly amusing that they talked about their period though, i was surprised to see that subject discussed. they could have made it very funny though. with all the stories i have heard from friends that subject is a goldmine of humour... but i guess that would be too explicit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2007, 3:27 pm 
Major Contributor

Lucky Star needs a few episodes before you really get to the funny stuff. I was a little bit turned off by it after watching the first two episodes. But after hearing some better things about it in the community, decided to go watch and rewatch it. I've been enjoying it a lot since then.

Post subject: Re: Lucky Star: this is not Azumanga Daioh!
PostPosted: November 1st, 2008, 9:47 pm 
Resident Scholar

*Fanfare*

At last, I have watched Lucky Star!
I was pleased with what I saw, not very pleased, but pleased.

Lucky Star has very funny moments and references, you need to be a hardcore insider of Japanese popular culture to get it all, which I did not. But whatever I did understand was good as a gag.
"Timotei", for the hell of it! I haven't seen that piece of advertising for decades. I wonder how a Japanese 18yo can probably know that Timotei commercial!? In Germany it ran in the 80s and had already disappeared around the time Konata is supposed to be born.
And where do they live? In Kasukabe, for all places!
And what famous family lives in Kasukabe?
Right, this one:

Spoiler

Lucky Channel is another highlight, although I disliked how it ended. But Shiraishi Minoru (and his chaotic ending song performances in the second half) is a big plus, and so is Konno Hiromi, speaking (and singing) "Lucky Channel" hostess Kogami Akira. She has a really great voice, I like the range that she displays between "lively kid" and "cranky bitch". Great performance.
Hirano Aya (Izumi Konata) did very well also, speaking a character that was a fan of hers, leading to a scene where Konata proves that she can perfectly imitate Suzumiya Haruhi's voice. A memorable self-reference I'd say.

The first half of the series has the main characters sing Karaoke versions of famous songs, like "Chijô no Hoshi", "Sore ga Ai deshou", "Cha-La-Hetchara", or "Sailor-fuku to Kikanjû", at the end of the episode.
The second half sports a "Kinpachi-sensei" spoof in the opening, with Konata exclaiming "Ah, San-nen B-gumi!?"
If you're familiar with all the originals it comes across very funny.

Overall, I liked the humor and the characters a lot. But there are several things that I don't like and make it unworthy of purchase to me. Like I have a problem with the Yon-Koma style. Watching the Anime you can actually count the Manga frames, "1, 2, 3, punch line". Yes, the same is true of Azumanga Daiô, but I mean something a little different. I dislike the absence of a storyline, more so if there is nothing I can perceive as a climax or conclusion. It's just a collection of moments, scenes that show no greater coherence. They could be shown in almost any order, if it wasn't for the support characters that make their first appearances.

Pani Poni Dash hid that fact behind a fireworks of gags and innuendos, therefore I was okay with it. Azumanga has a red thread, so to speak, by consciously leading the characters from their first class in highschool to their graduation. That is completely absent in Lucky Star.

The characters already know each other in the beginning, apart from some of the support characters who enter the stage pretty late. The end is non-conclusive and it takes the awaited climax from you:
The girls decide to perform a cheerleading dance (much like seen in the opening sequence) as an introduction to their school's Bunkasai ("Culture Festival"), so they train, hidden from the eye of the spectator, arousing some suspense. But they show you the full dance when they do their final rehearsal, and when the curtain rises for the actual show - the show is over, end of the final episode. I felt like I was cheated.

For all the good points that Lucky Star has I feel that the negative points overweigh if you think about it as a whole. No storyline, no beginning, no end, it leaves me with a sensation of dissatisfaction. For me, another classic that was not so classical and definitely not worth the hype that was made about it. It has a strong voice cast, enjoyable songs, it shows off some very good ideas, creating moments that make it very much worth watching, but it is less funny than Pani Poni Dash and it lacks the red thread, the sense of a timeline, of Azumanga Daiô.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 12:39 am 
Newcomer

the people at the bookstore waiting for kana to buy book
what anime character are they

anyone know what anime karaoke ending song they sang?
i only know chala head chala(dragon ball) and doraemon song

thx

and yeah i like azumanga better than LS

by the time you read this
my forehead are being target by grammar & spelling nazi

PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 3:04 pm 
Resident Scholar

Action Kamen wrote:
the people at the bookstore waiting for kana to buy book
what anime character are they

I'd guess they're general references to the 80s Anime style... but I might be wrong.
For such trivia as well as your question:

Action Kamen wrote:
anyone know what anime karaoke ending song they sang?

A short look at Anime News Network could answer all your inquiries.
Lucky Star on ANN

PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 2:00 am 
Lurker

Hopefully <1 month is an acceptable thread-necro - I've not seen Azumanga Daioh, but I LOVED Lucky Star, precisely because it's so unusual, and there's so many otaku references, not to mention it goes off the end of the kawaii scale. Oh, and in one of the Karaoke endings, they sing the opening from Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu (FMP is kinda my favourite anime ever - in fact, Tsukasa even owns a Bonta-Kun plushie! :D). I didn't expect to laugh out loud every five seconds, but there are enough comic moments to make me smirk at the very least, and that'll do me nicely. Frankly, i wish that the series had more of a central plot - perhaps setting the last episode on leaving school - but other than that, I really enjoyed it. :)

PostPosted: August 21st, 2010, 10:55 am 

It is Kagami that owns the Bonta-kun. She is the light novel reader and a fan of Full Metal Panic!

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 10:49 am 
Lurker

Feck, yeah, sorry - i meant Kagami - the strict one. I think i was thinking "tsundere" in my head (despite that not strictly being true) and ended up writing the other twin's name. :)
Still, the whole thing is rather charming, IMHO. :booyah:

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2010, 3:46 pm 

If you enjoy the whole schoolgirls living their lives stream of things, you'll probably enjoy Azumanga Daioh, Hidamari Sketch and K-On!! Azumanga is well balanced and covers the whole stream with the girls graduating in the end very well and has its own share of quirks. Hidamari Sketch is a far slower paced relaxing sorta show to just totally space out to. K-On!! focuses on girls who form a band as part of a music club, but the focus of the show isn't really on the music although their performances are some of the key highlight episodes.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 8:14 am 
Resident Scholar

rory_okane wrote:
Hopefully <1 month is an acceptable thread-necro

What jerky forums have been to? If there's something you want to say then just say it, no matter how old or young the thread is. Information shall not be limited by such petty things such as thread age.
Besides I must say that our admin, Acmurphy, is one of the most liberal and laissez-faire admins I have ever encountered. Whatever is not alright with him must be really shitty. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 9:04 am 

And even before that, Animetric has always been a pretty laid back and loose community. This place isn't all hustle and bustle over each week's new episodes and stuff so it is quite alright to just discuss older stuff and pull some threads back from below.