Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eden of the East
PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 7:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

I saw the whole thing, and I am the one to feel a little dissatisfaction.

For starters, let me say something good about it:
Animation quality, Seiyû efforts, and soundtrack are good, very good even.
When I listened to the opening song I was, like, that has a sort of Oasis sound to it... damn it IS Oasis! :P2:

First I didn't quite know why I felt uncomfortable with the show. Higashi no Eden did not quite grasp my attention, and after seeing the whole thing I kinda understand it.

One thing is that I have come to think that Higashi no Eden would have worked better as a live-action drama.
The character designs do not fit into the mood of the show, which has humor but is overall rather earnest, regarding the topic. When Saki first appeared on screen, and I think it's said that she was on a graduation trip, I thought she was a highschooler. Which goes so much more for her friend Micchon, who I thought was a gradeschooler or something when she was sitting in that car. Surprise! They 're both full-fledged adults, and even that computer whiz kid is 21yo (compare official site). :shifty: I don't mind cute character designs, I love Manabi Straight, but imho the character designs do just not fit into the story, therefore I am of the opinion that real people would have made a far better impression.

The next thing came to me when the second half begun: The softy approach.
We have here a super terrorist plot aiming at destroying the political (and thus the economic) system in order to build a new, hopefully better, one. There are really unscrupulous people. And yet only very few people die. Okay, so the dirty cop kills the two guys who are bugging him and an innocent eyewitness - but was the writer possibly frightened by such a thing? Is that why he then had him slain in an act of twisted justice?
Because in fact I believe that Ôsugi should have been killed by the vengeful lady with that wonderful name: Shiratori Kuroha - "white bird with black wings", so to speak. Beautiful. Anyways, they did save the situation by Akira deciding to save Kuroha as well, but still I believe that killing Ôsugi and subsequently a fight to the death with Kuroha would have been the better choice.
Spoiler
Apart from the fact that the sheer number of coincidences leading to the confrontation with Kuroha - Ôsugi and her being in the same street, the suitcase, the message board, the overall physical appearance of the victim - was rightout ridiculous in my opinion. They just let the suspense go and instead it goes like "I lost my suitcase and they took my cellphone away". That was weak.

And close to the end the case of Itazu "Pants" Yutaka - who'll also live happily ever after.
WTF!? :wtf:

All in all I must conclude that Higashi no Eden is clearly overrated.
It's not bad, but's it's not really what I call good.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 11:13 am 

I didn't mind the character designs too much. Having watched Honey and Clover, its that sorta style that kinda works with a 'live-action' concept so to speak. Granted H&C is a lot more easy going and silly than Eden, but it did have its serious moments. One downfall is that Akira looks way too much like Shinobu Morita....

The premise is definitely something you'd more expect out of a live TV series or move, and I don't think thats particularly a bad thing. It'd be nice if more animes kinda ventured into different sort premises and concepts rather than sitting and rotting on the usual stereotypes. Anime is after all more of a medium and a format rather than being just a genre, getting a bit broader can't hurt.

Kuroha's motive was to go around killing rapists, so her killing Osugi wouldn't have been in line with her motives. All the coincidences were pretty contrived, but with the whole omnipotent handphones and 'elaborate' plans going on I reckon its not completely unexpected. If Kuroha was lets say a crazy serial killer, she was using her phone to do her deeds and that wouldn't work out either since the Supporter would have nabbed her already.

I did expect the series to be darker somewhat. I quite liked the detective at the start and was a bit disappointed that he got snuffed out too quicky. But he didn't exactly die without a purpose, his money was out and he was veering from his path and it was hinted that his murder was set up by the Supporter, hence demonstrating how the Supporter might do things. They had the doctor killed off too, showing how harsh the game can be.

Pants not dying seemed to be a bit random.... but I was glad since I quite liked his character.

One of the things Eden of the East had going for it was just being different. There has been an increasing load of the usual 'moe' anime and other fanservicey rubbish, so something that dared to try something serious was welcome.

I do hope the movies clean things up sufficiently well. I am quite fond of the series, but it is after all just incomplete.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 6:30 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Kuroha's motive was to go around killing rapists, so her killing Osugi wouldn't have been in line with her motives.

Right, but her motives were not clear until the whole thing was resolved peacefully, so her motivations could have been designed totally different and Ôsugi with his maker.
Eventually I'm not so sure how active the Supporter in fact is, as he did not seem to mind three Selecao taking control of Juiz.

Hm, Kuroha... why did I not come up with that in the first place? I can accept the fact that Juiz' power is very likely based upon systematic blackmail, intimidation, bribes, and what have you, and that her influence works out within moments between order and execution, but I would really like to know how she managed to grow Kuroha a pair of wings!?!

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Pants not dying seemed to be a bit random.... but I was glad since I quite liked his character.

That's the point! Killing characters you don't care about is meaningless!
His death would really have had an impact.
Who the hell cares about that dirty cop?
And Dr. Hiura was nice but he was just a shortlived side-character, just some guy. Oh, he's dead, what a pity. :roll:

PostPosted: January 24th, 2010, 11:34 pm 

42317 wrote:
Hm, Kuroha... why did I not come up with that in the first place? I can accept the fact that Juiz' power is very likely based upon systematic blackmail, intimidation, bribes, and what have you, and that her influence works out within moments between order and execution, but I would really like to know how she managed to grow Kuroha a pair of wings!?!

It seemed pretty damned crazy, but at the end on her phone log, it says that she is charged for some hollywood movie special effects. So yeah!

PostPosted: January 25th, 2010, 4:26 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
42317 wrote:
I would really like to know how she managed to grow Kuroha a pair of wings!?!
at the end on her phone log, it says that she is charged for some hollywood movie special effects.

So it's a "magic trick", like in a variety show? That would still imply elaborate preparations, i.e. someone installing the necessary gear and stuff... which would be pretty extravagant for the purpose of leaving the hotel together with the victim (could have just tossed him out the window, though...).

PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 3:00 am 

Well its all part of her personality. Like when she called to get a corpse disposed off elegantly, she had it eaten up by ravens on a rooftop. She could have chucked the guy out and gotten it over with, but her modus operandi is to castrate men with a cigar cutter and let them bleed out.

God knows how the special effects worked though, its probably something we shouldn't think about too much!

PostPosted: March 12th, 2010, 8:22 pm 

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about Eden of the East.
First I have to say I'm very disappointed, I was expecting a richer story. And characters. The first 2 episodes were very intriguing, but the rest failed to deliver. Being the biggest exception the final 5 minutes of the final episode. The missile shot down was kind of cool.

I can't help but compare it to the movie Eagle Eye, which is many times more interesting and better executed. Although not that great either.
Quote:
Jerry Shaw and Rachel Holloman were complete strangers at the beginning of the day, but that changed the instant a strange woman called to threaten both their lives and the lives of their loved ones. Suddenly forced into a series of increasingly dangerous situations, Jerry and Rachel must now take orders from a woman who's using everyday technology to track and control their every move. As the situation intensifies and the hapless duo are deemed the country's most wanted fugitives, they must work together in order to discover who it was that turned their lives upside down, and what they can do to thwart the criminal mastermind's cunning yet diabolical plan.
Regarding the character designs... That was Morita from Honey and Clover, there is no way around it. And the other characters looked or felt exactly like their Honey and Clover counterparts. Even the dog!! He had the same aura as the one from Honey and Clover! the eyes are unmistakable!! But I didn't mind that.

I've never been an Oasis fan, but the opening song kind of grew on me. On the other hand I didn't really enjoyed the ending theme.

I seriously was expecting a better story, what a letdown...
My score: 3/5

PostPosted: March 12th, 2010, 10:27 pm 

I think it was pretty good overall...I just wanted more out of the ending...which after I heard there was going to be 2 movies..or OVA's (dont remember now) I just stopped thinking much about it...
Just waiting to see if whatever comes out makes it a much better experience overall...

But now that you mention Eagle Eye...hmm :shifty:

PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 12:12 am 

Fresnokila wrote:
I think it was pretty good overall...I just wanted more out of the ending...which after I heard there was going to be 2 movies..or OVA's (dont remember now) I just stopped thinking much about it...
Just waiting to see if whatever comes out makes it a much better experience overall...

But now that you mention Eagle Eye...hmm :shifty:

Yea, you should check it out.
I think I just had very high expectations for this one. I also thought it was somewhat predictable at some points. 2 Ovas might make a difference, I'll watch them when they come out.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2010, 6:33 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
2 Ovas might make a difference, I'll watch them when they come out.

They seem to have it planned like Bakemonogatari - incomplete without extra stuff (the missiles have been shot down but the perpetrators are still on the loose). And that sucks bigtime, if I may say so.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 3:40 pm 

The first movie is out, and it is a bit disappointing just due to the 1 hour length and lack of stuff being accomplished. It does set up quite a lot of new things though, and we get a glimpse at yet another Selecao. Probably won't say anything else until some of you other guys have watched it already.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 3:23 am 

Ah whats the name?...to give it a watch :ninja:

PostPosted: June 4th, 2010, 6:26 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
The first movie is out, and it is a bit disappointing just due to the 1 hour length and lack of stuff being accomplished. It does set up quite a lot of new things though, and we get a glimpse at yet another Selecao.

*snort*
I thought the movies were supposed to conclude stuff and not give us more new contents!?