Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Writing an English guide for Kakyusei
PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 2:11 am 
Newcomer

I've been writing an English guide for the original Kakyusei -- click here for it. It was probably my favorite bishoujo game back in the day, and I was thinking what a shame it is that there has never been, so far as I know, an attempt to translate or assist non-Japanese speakers who might wish to play this classic. So I'm trying to make it as easy as possible for new players to jump in and give it a go, including providing a download of the PC98 version from 1996. (I think it's okay to be doing this now given that the thing is 14 years old, no one anywhere will import it, and virtually no one outside of Japan has ever seen a PC98 anyway)

But I dunno, do you think there is interest in this, or has bishoujo gaming moved on? There are other PC98 games I've thought about writing guides for too. Are people interested in retro or semi-retro bishojo games that never made it into English?

Post subject: Re: Writing an English guide for Kakyusei
PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 4:47 pm 
Resident Scholar

Well, there might be an interest in such older games for sentimental reasons on the one hand, and on the other hand there are always such fans who are eager to play everything, or at least also the classics, of which Kakyûsei is one.
Thank you for your efforts.

I have started playing Dôkyûsei some time ago but I went out of time as other things demanded my attention... plus, playing these games in Japanese takes time (and thus nerves) because in order to decide upon your dialogue options you should understand the nuances of the choices in relation to the statement that lead to the choice. The graphical appearance of the more complicated Kanji adds to that because as a non-native speaker you cannot just glance at the text and know what's up.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2010, 6:44 pm 
Newcomer

Thank you for the reply. I don't know if I'll be continuing the project as I've mentioned it on other boards and the response has been quite meager, possibly because visual novels are much more popular than adventures or simulations today.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 7:05 am 
Resident Scholar

flowerthief wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I don't know if I'll be continuing the project as I've mentioned it on other boards and the response has been quite meager, possibly because visual novels are much more popular than adventures or simulations today.

Well, if economic satisfaction is what you seek you'd better look for more promising projects.
A while ago I made a German version of "True Love"... in modern colloquial German, as opposed to the official translator German that was in the original file... :sweat: just for the fun of it.