Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Batman-The Movies
PostPosted: February 19th, 2010, 6:27 pm 
Major Contributor

Tell me about it... All the anatomically correct rubber suits, cheesy catchphrases, not making Batgirl the commissioner's daughter but instead Alfred's niece *which in my book is messing with scripture :? *, overuse of so many gadgets. I haven't heard the commentary with my own ears but director Joel Schumacher actually apologized to everybody for making this movie in the audio commentary for the flick. Chris O'Donnell *who played Robin in this one and Batman Forever before it* commented that making this film "felt like making one big toy commercial", George Clooney has called it a gay movie on some occassions, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Alicia Silverstone have mostly kept quiet but i don't think either of them are too keen on this one as well. I had heard an article a long time ago *as in years* that supposedly the only primary cast member who actually enjoyed making the film was Uma Thurman aka Poison Ivy. She definitely was attractive, i'll give her that as well as the honesty in saying she somewhat liked being part of the experience.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2010, 12:42 am 
Lurker

Ironically one of the few good points of the film is exactly, IMO, the change of the backstory for Batgirl. Since Commissioner Gordon had been plainly ignored in the other movies (never getting more than 4 or 5 minutes of screen time), and he was almost comic relief, they really would have needed a Gordon-centric movie to explain the whole affair with him, Batman and his daughter (it would probably have been better, true, but that's another story xD). Given the strong "family" value that the movie pretends to portray, giving more prominence to Alfred, and assigning him the role of the relative of Batgirl was a good move. I'm sure that the part where Alfred tells Batman "I won't be here forever" must have been quite heart-warming in its time, considering that the actor, Michael Gough, who is thankfully still alive, was already eighty-something.

Fidelity to the original material is not something that you can value as positive or negative in a story, particularly in a series which has already spun 70 years of unpaused fictional adaptations, varying in tone from the appearance of the Bat-Shark Repellent or Ace, the Bat-Hound to the crippling of Batgirl or the Pencil Trick. You have a huge quantity of material to "mess with the scripture" anyways.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you can turn fucking Mr. Freeze into somebody who smokes a cigar and has some sort of... beach bunny sidekick. That's simply lameness in plot, particularly if just after seeing said sidekick you see him worshipping his wife's freezing chamber. I mean... hello?

PostPosted: March 8th, 2010, 11:04 am 
Lurker

I'm sorry to say this, but I couldn't finish Batman and Robin. It's so plainly bad that I reject watching it to the end. It'll make me bang my head on the wall if I keep up the torture. I'm almost tempted not to talk of it. In fact, I'll go re-watch Batman Begins before I can review this piece of crud.