Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Team Medical Dragon
PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 12:47 am 

Iryū Team Medical Dragon

Synopsis
Dr. Katou is an ambitious woman who seeks to revolutionize the corrupt and inefficient Japanese medical system from within by becoming a professor in a University hospital. She enlists a maverick surgeon, Dr. Asada Ryuutarou, to help her with research that would catapult her to a professorship should they succeed and publish. However, Asada’s refusal to conform to the system soon threatens to destroy not only her plans but her entire career. Katou is prepared to do anything, including going along with the system, in order to achieve her end goal, but she begins to question whether she has gone too far as Asada’s actions bring many of the system’s shortcomings to light. - ETC scanlating team -
----------------------------------------
Contents
This is a seinen manga, with some serious themes, mainly a criticism of the Japanese Health System. It contains some nudity, there are graphic surgery scenes, drug and alcohol use, and the obvious life-death situations you would expect in a setting such as a Hospital. There is also hints of comedy here and there but only the necessary to lighten up the mood a bit
----------------------------------------
Some thoughts on the manga
Team Medical Dragon has become easily one of my top 5 mangas. I've always liked medical oriented stories, and this is easily the best since Monster, although the latter had a much more psychological-suspense oriented theme.
The plot is simple yet very engaging, it leaves you wanting more every chapter. Mainly what Dr Katou is striving for is to complete a thesis on a difficult surgical procedure for people with end stage heart disease, this is in order to get a higher ranking at the hospital and have a saying in the organization and planning of the Health system locally in the hospital to later on modify it on a greater scale. She gets a hold of a "renegade doctor", Dr Asada, a real genius with a scalpel, once exiled from another University Hospital and who had given up on medicine already, and gives him the task of forming a surgical team that can really perform the surgical procedure for her thesis. Little by little he begins to handpick the best of the best for the team.
The characters are extremely well developed, and they grow continuously with the manga. There are hot female doctors and nurses, cool characters such as Dr Asada, a$$holes, idiots, villains among the doctors in the hospital, as well as a couple of well done antiheros. But probably, my favorite character, is an intern who is taken unwillingly under Dr Asada's wing to be trained completely differently than the other medical students (in order to be saved from the system). He is one of the characters that are given a lot of insight and he is shown with all his fears and inexperience, classical of a med student, and how he despises most of the elder doctors who don't really care for the patient. He is at the beginning a very unlikeable and somewhat annoying character, as time goes by he grows academically and a gains lots of experience through many different surgeries. As a result he turns into a character that one can really identify with. It is also funny that he is the main target and recipient of the pranks played by the other doctors, reason why he is always learning valuable lessons.
Most characters have quite the background, which in some cases is dark or sad, and some of the stories are very touching and very realistic. It is seriously a very enjoyable manga.
The language used in the manga has a lot of technical and medical jargon but they are usually explained by the author or if it's not the case the translators add notes on the page for one to read, it doesn't hurt if one has a notion of human physiology.
The art is really good, it has a very realistic aura, it kind of feels like Berserk art sometimes, organs look anatomically correct, some of the girls drawn are seriously really attractive, the character designs are pretty original, again they remind me of Berserk sometimes, but also of Monster and 20th Century Boys. Really, this mangaka can draw!!

The manga has been running in Japan for at least 7 years now, with a total of 21 or so volumes and still ongoing, however not much has been translated, only about 9 volumes so far. Still is well worth reading.
I wanted to post some little "screenshots" of the manga but they for some reason don't look well at all when cropped and re-sized. Anyways I'll throw this as a suggestion to everyone here. :D

Post subject: Re: Team Medical Dragon
PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 3:11 pm 
Resident Scholar

This is very interesting, more so because I am nowe reading a book about the shortcomings of the Japanese grad school system, which seems overly controlled by "the system". But in fact the author, Robert L. Cutts, says that the health sector, the education of physicians that is, is still the sector with the best standing.
Now, concluding from what this Manga delivers - what does all of this mean for the future of Japan? ... omfg...

I'd like to read all this, but the technical terms you mentioned can only be a translator's nightmare, especially if he's untrained in medical vocabulary like me. :sweat: Well, it will certainly be easier than reading/translating Gunmu (Alita) or any sci-fi/fantasy story with loads of neologisms. :vomit:

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 10:42 pm 

42317 wrote:
This is very interesting, more so because I am now reading a book about the shortcomings of the Japanese grad school system, which seems overly controlled by "the system". But in fact the author, Robert L. Cutts, says that the health sector, the education of physicians that is, is still the sector with the best standing.
Now, concluding from what this Manga delivers - what does all of this mean for the future of Japan? ... omfg...
Sounds like it might be an interesting read for you then.
I was wondering actually about this subject, but it all points that it's probably true. I'm guessing the mangaka has some medical training, or it has someone to advise him on this matter.
42317 wrote:
I'd like to read all this, but the technical terms you mentioned can only be a translator's nightmare, especially if he's untrained in medical vocabulary like me. :sweat:
Don't let that discourage you though, the scanlations available on the web really have all the explanations that are missed in the manga, and if you wanted to inquire any further you can just visit the internet.com
But now if you are planning to pick up the raw Japanese volumes, which you can, given you have the Japanese skills, that'd be another story, it'd probably be harder for you to clear up some of the terms. Man! I really wish I could read Japanese, I would get all of the available manga immediately.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2010, 5:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
Man! I really wish I could read Japanese, I would get all of the available manga immediately.

That's pretty ambitious! :D

PostPosted: January 17th, 2010, 7:54 pm 
Lurker

Actually, 42317, it could be easier for you. If I recall correctly, most of the modern medical knowledge of Japan was elaborated under Prussian advisory, which came along with an extensive use of German medical words. You still need to know them, but I guess it's easier than for someone unfamiliar with it.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 7:20 pm 
Resident Scholar

Libertista wrote:
Actually, 42317, it could be easier for you. If I recall correctly, most of the modern medical knowledge of Japan was elaborated under Prussian advisory, which came along with an extensive use of German medical words. You still need to know them, but I guess it's easier than for someone unfamiliar with it.

Don't overestimate these loanwords. They seem to be present denoting little things in a hospital, like "Karte" (health record) or "Messer" (scalpel), and they are going extinct. There are native Japanese words for the many technical things in medical contexts, and tend to be Multi-Kanji-nightmares, like six in a row, the combination of which you don't find in normal dictionaries. :sweat: