Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gurren Lagann
PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 7:46 pm 
Regular

So due to the new image on the Animetric front page I became interested in the girl on the top right. She is Yoko from the anime Tengen Topopa Gurren Lagann.

I blindly tried it out and watched the first disc. Well, according to my taste this was not going to fair well. I realized that it was going to be a fighting anime... :( Even worse a giant robot fighting anime. I did like eva, raxhephon, and fmp so maybe it will not be centered around it. Wrong!

This is about a boy, shinji, who is afraid to pilot eva1 to battle attacking giant robots. oops sorry. wrong names. Anyway! enter Yoko the reason for me picking up this title. Fanservice galore! framing shots with her body, breast shots, leg shots... what did i get into? She is adorable, but really now! And then the mole thingy that takes refuge in Yoko's breasts, that tears off it's butt to feed it's friends... Come on!

I must admit the animation style is simply wonderful. It has some over the top funny. Amusing innuendos. Too bad I do not like fighting to become strong animes. Oh, what I hated the most were the robot designs and the beastmen designs. Blech!

If you enjoy fighting robo anime, this would be your cup of tea.

Does it get interesting? Should I see more? Will it just be more episode after episode of fighting the next ugly designed bad robot?

Post subject: Re: Gurren Lagann
PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 8:06 pm 
Major Contributor

I believe the show is at least 25 or 26 episodes from what i know of it. I know Yoko ain't interested in the main boy, she wants the older squeeze of the main trio. The main boy already got it bad for another girl whose name i can't remember at the moment.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2010, 8:57 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
To describe Gurren Lagann in one word it would have to be bombastic. It's true to form over the top anime. I actually loved the start of it along with the strange/funky desings etc., but my feelings for it waned as the series went on. I never really liked the main character... I ended up giving it a Very Good or 4 out of 5 stars (if I could ever finish the review for it you would have a bit more to read). It does jump a number of years into the future somewhere in the middle of the series if you dislike how young the main character is. If you don't like the robot designs or how over the top it is that's not really going to change. The story itself isn't so amazing but it certainly changes course some after the time jump. There are also one or two big things that will hit you during the next disc I believe.

This really isn't a big spoiler but I will tag it as such anyway, just in case, but it really exemplifies just what I mean when I say over the top:

Spoiler
Towards the end their fighting weapon of choice becomes galaxies that they hurl at one another

I imagine it's sort of like a Code Geass (though I think CG doesn't go nearly as extreme as Gurren Lagann does), but I can only say that from some of the things I have heard since I have not seen Code Geass. If you haven't seen it either than that probably doesn't mean much to you lol.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 1:47 am 
Regular

thanks, i do like over the top anime. unfortunately i do not like fighting anime. I really like the characters of Yoko and Kamina but that is really the only thing i like in the anime. too much fighting and not enough around those two. i kind of dig the relationship between simon, yoko and kamina. simon in love with yoko. yoko in love with kamina. kamina "in love" with simon. makes for amusing scenes. just not enough of them.

oh, i have not watched code gease either.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 2:46 am 

Code Geass is over the top in a completely different sort of way. The robots do go over the top later on, but its mainly the LOL JUST AS PLANNED HUR DURR kinda over the tops. Genius mastermind comes up with the nuttiest of strategies that pop outta nowhere and make his enemies go OH SNAP. I guess there is Suzaku, who goes over the top in everything he does like running up a wall avoiding machinegun bullets and kicking a ceiling turret off and... yeah. Spinzaku kick!

Gurren Lagann is over the top in the fact there is HOT BLOODED MANLY SCREAMING and SUPER DUPER SPECIAL FINISHING MOVES and GIANT DRILLS. And piercing the heavens and all that. Its not just a fighting robot anime, its about being A MAN. WITH MANERGY. I mean spiral energy. And defeating your enemy not through skill or technological superiority but GUTS and MANLY and PERSPIRATION. AND MANLY. WITH THE POWER OF MAN. AND BOILING BLOOD. But most importantly MAN. It is an action anime, don't expect too much out of the characters. But its not like the characters are entirely dull or anything, they do have their little moments and manage to be interesting too.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2010, 3:08 am 
Regular

LOL! Manergy!
thanks for that. that whole post about GL is spot on!
HAHAAHAHAHA!

PostPosted: January 12th, 2010, 7:33 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Gurren Lagann is over the top in the fact there is HOT BLOODED MANLY SCREAMING and SUPER DUPER SPECIAL FINISHING MOVES and GIANT DRILLS. And piercing the heavens and all that. Its not just a fighting robot anime, its about being A MAN. WITH MANERGY. I mean spiral energy. And defeating your enemy not through skill or technological superiority but GUTS and MANLY and PERSPIRATION. AND MANLY. WITH THE POWER OF MAN. AND BOILING BLOOD. But most importantly MAN. It is an action anime, don't expect too much out of the characters. But its not like the characters are entirely dull or anything, they do have their little moments and manage to be interesting too.

Great paragraph. :lol2: :clap:
I'd give you kudos if we had such a system.