Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outlaw Star
PostPosted: December 14th, 2009, 10:57 pm 
Lurker

I'm sure you people remember the fairly successful anime series which spawned from this manga. Weirdly enough, I am reading that the manga hasn't been even licenced in the USA, while it supposedly has been translated to... Italian and German!, and licensed in those countries. That reeks a bit strange, so I would like to ask if anyone has more information, since I'm considering buying it in German if that is so.

Post subject: Re: Outlaw Star
PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 12:10 pm 
Resident Scholar

:roll:

Outlaw Star!
What a nice and refreshing title, teeming with adventure and swashbuckling just by its sound!
Alas, what is it about? And do you have any elaborate opinions about it?

:boohoo:

PostPosted: December 15th, 2009, 12:23 pm 
Major Contributor

Did the sequel manga ever come about? A long time ago, i heard that the manga writer had been planning and had written a sequel in which it was a few years later and the main character was now Jim instead of Gene. Jim now was the captain of his own ship which i think also has a intelligent computer system that helps with strategy and maintenance. Don't know if it's called "Gilliam" much like the one the Outlaw Star had. Besides Jim, there was also an older guy helping out as well as a young woman that Jim found out pretty much similarly to how Gene first discovered Melfina. She even operates in a similar tank that Melfina would usually be when traveling on the Outlaw Star.

Because it's been a long time since i've shared this, i think i might have things mixed up... Either the sequel manga did come out but wasn't successful, the project was eventually scrapped before it was finished, or maybe what didn't come about was the anime sequel that was talked about but ultimately scrapped due to the series not being very popular.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 12:59 am 
Lurker

42317 wrote:
:roll:

Outlaw Star!
What a nice and refreshing title, teeming with adventure and swashbuckling just by its sound!
Alas, what is it about? And do you have any elaborate opinions about it?

:boohoo:

Well, it's a fairly old manga (mid 90's) which was ported into a successful anime title produced by Sunrise (Cowboy Bebop, another anime of the same studio includes some hints towards it). The main idea is that two guys, a smart brat called James Hawkins and an immature action man called Gene Starwind, meet a dangerous woman (Hilda) who leads them to acquiring a spaceship (the titular Outlaw Star) and a girl who happens to be the spaceship's core engine (Melphina). After Hilda's demise, Jim and Gene learn that they must go to a so-called Galactic Leyline, so they must seek it, while chased by pirates and other outlaws, including some against whom Gene has a personal grudge, and helped by people like an old-fashioned samurai woman, a feline brute of the Q'tar Q'tar race, and an openly homosexual businessman who happens to be in love with Gene.

The idea sounds old-fashioned, but hell knows it works very well, plus it has a personal touch for me, as it was one of the first animes I ever completed (it was shown in the Spanish Cartoon Network). The Spanish dub, surprisingly, fares better than the Japanese one, although some parts of the dialogue are not portrayed correctly (some puns regarding Gene's hair color, for example)... but in general it portrays the characters more convincingly.

What bugs me about this series is that it's rather clear that manga and anime are meant to be taken together: the manga explains many personal details and actions of the characters which are overlooked by the anime, plus there is rather strong sexual content in the manga which is not portrayed at all in the screen.

G-Core, as far as I know there is another project called Angel Links which is a spin-off coming from two of the anime characters who appeared in one episode. But a "direct" sequel... I didn't know about that.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 2:15 am 

I really enjoyed the anime so I am surprised at myself for never looking into the manga. Hopefully the scans will surface online soon.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 8:51 am 
Major Contributor

I am aware of the spin-off series Angel Links. The two characters that appeared in Outlaw Star that also appear there are the blond woman (her name escapes me at the moment) and the lizard-like man (i believe his name is Deus or something). In the Outlaw Star episode, they even mentioned to Gene and Jim that they work for the Angel Links. The main character of Angel Links is the female captain with short, purple hair and a bust that's very interesting considering her age (16 or something).

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 2:06 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
a bust that's very interesting considering her age (16 or something).

But they do exist! I can tell you, I have seen 13yos, phew... and I know that she was a 13yo (back in 1994 that was) because she'd been living 200 m down the road for all of her life. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 16th, 2009, 2:19 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
G-Core wrote:
a bust that's very interesting considering her age (16 or something).

But they do exist! I can tell you, I have seen 13yos, phew... and I know that she was a 13yo (back in 1994 that was) because she'd been living 200 m down the road for all of her life. :mrgreen:

Hmm...interesting.

I don't know much about the manga continuity of Outlaw Star, but for those of you who saw it on Toonami at the time it was on there, you are aware that they did not show episode 23 (the hot springs planet episode) due to nudity issues. Sure, they handled Melfina's nudity all the time by putting a shadowy black tinge resembling clothes on her chest and most private area but the amount of nudity in that episode, when you think about it, was simply impossible to cover all of it up and still show it. Which is a bit of a bummer since Gene obtains the 3 rare Caster shells that drain the user of their life energy in that episode. Even though Gene explains to the group the functions of the shells he obtained at the beginning of the next episode, the skip just doesn't give it a fluid transition, unfortunately.