Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Underrated Legends
PostPosted: November 30th, 2009, 10:09 am 
Lurker

I've seen an old thread dealing with legendary series, and how they are overrated or not. I thought it would be good to give a more positive note, giving ideas for series which haven't been that recognised as outstanding, but which are potential gold mines for a fairly nooby watcher as I am.

I'd start with Madlax. Portraying the weakness of spirit of human beings whose only means of survival is a gun, and the strength of the common people to try and find the truth
Spoiler
(the abducted journalist being an example)
is something which is not seen that often. The title character and Limelda may be the most gun-proficient, but they're the weakest souls portrayed, in a stark contrast with Eleanor and Vanessa.
Spoiler
In an ironical twist, both Eleanor and Vanessa don't make it to the end of the show, while Madlax and Limelda actually do survive.

There's not that much eye-candy, true, and I can't speak of the dubs because I haven't heard them, but the music is fabulous. I think Madlax deserves a higher place in the fans' estimation than it has.

Post subject: Re: The Underrated Legends
PostPosted: November 30th, 2009, 1:25 pm 
Post Master

Madlax is one of the million clones of Noir (which is garbage) so I didn't bother watching past the first episode.

I'd say Armitage III and Requiem from the Darkness are underrated.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2009, 3:23 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I don't have quite as negative an opinion as Mmsven does of Noir, but it did sort of put me off watching these other "girls with guns" series such as Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja (though after your thoughts on it, that was probably a good move). Gunslinger Girls would be the notable exception, but that was a, more or less, distinctly different series from the others.

I have to agree with his other two choices though. Both Armitage III (not to be confused with the much worse Dual Matrix) and Requiem from the Darkness are wonderful, under-appreciated titles.

Armitage is a futuristic sci-fi movie focusing on two cops who get swept up in a whole bunch of madness as the people of Mars start turning against life-like androids or some such (it has been a while since I saw the movie, I hope I didn't butcher it too much there).

Requiem from the Darkness is more like a series filled with a number of evil ghost stories that all center around a writer trying to get content for a book who keeps running into a group who fights against the supernatural forces who end up in the human world. The stories are mostly evil and twisted, but they are quite good, and the art and animation style fit perfectly with the series even though it is odd by comparison to your standard anime series.

To add one of my own, I would have to go with They Were Eleven. And old 80's sci-fi mystery with a lot of heart, it follows a young group of people from every corner of the galaxy as they come together for a test that will decide if they can get into a top academy. Their test is to survive on a spaceship, alone, for 60 days. But things go awry right off the bat when they first wind up with an extra person on-board, and then when disasters start occurring all over the ship the witch hunt begins.

I've a couple others that probably fit the bill, but I will hold off till some more people mention any of theirs.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2009, 11:51 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
HONEY AND CLOVER!1!!!11!!!

ZOMG!!1! ITZ LIEK TEH BESTEST ANIME EVAR AND ANN GIVZ ITZ AN EXCELLENT!!!11!! w00t!!!1!11!

j/k :P

To be honest, after watching the first two episodes of Honey and Clover at Anime Club last year, I thought it was extremely dull and boring. ANN gives that series WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit.

There are a few series that I thought were truly gems and don't much love.

Betterman is not only extremely underrated, but it's my absolute favorite anime of all time. Sure, it may be confusing with all the technobabble going on, but the bizarre and creepy atmosphere (which can be a somewhat Lovecraftian at times) really draws you in and the Jungian (ex. The Animus Flower) aspect gives it an unique experience too. Also, Betterman Lamia has to be one of my favorite characters ever.

Burst Angel is another underrated treasure too. Even though it's rather straight forward plot-wise, but dammit, it was just so much fun and the visuals were drop dead gorgeous (though the Zoids-esque mech scenes might present problems to some, but they weren't that bad IMHO). The soundtrack was fantastic too.

Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor is another victim of being underrated, well at least in here since I haven't seen anyone say good things about it besides me. WHAT WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!? j/k :P2: Anyway, tt really stays true to the classic sci-fi manga series (more so than the 80s and 90s OVAs do or even the 2 live-action films for that matter) and kicks so much ass. It is definitely in need of a second season, despite the fact that it would probably cost them a lot of money to produce it. Oh well, I can only wish and wait.

Melody of Oblivion (from what I've seen so far) is another underdog series made by Gainax that needs some lovin'. Takes a NG:E-esque plot, but with motorcycles and add some the mindfuck nature of Utena and you get yourself an excellent series. Speaking of Utena...

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a classic series that not many people seem to talk about very often, thus making it underrated IMHO. Even though, I haven't finished watching it yet, but it's absolutely beautiful and easily one of the best shoujo anime ever made. Also, it was one of the first anime series that yuri popular for the very first time (along with Sailor Moon when Haruka and Michiru made their debut).

Please Teacher and Please Twins are also underrated IMO. Sure I do see the flaws of Please Teacher and it did irritate some of the members of anime club last year, but it was the first series that really and REALLY got me drawn to anime for the first time. It's sequel was so much better though, but I love both equally and I highly recommend watching them, especially if you're fan of romantic comedy series.

While far from being the best series ever made, Rune Soldier does have potential to be a great series. It's like Slayers, but with a better art style and the over-the-top comedy is toned down a bit, which is nice actually. Though it only had 24 episodes, but it does deserve a second season because I want to see the characters develop more and all the crazy adventures they'll get into as well. It's a damn shame that Rune Soldier only gets one season while shit like Saiyuki gets a first season that's 50 episodes long AND two more season.

There are a few more series I would like to list, but I think add them later.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2009, 11:12 am 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
Burst Angel is another underrated treasure too.

Too much loli fanservice in particular and too much fanservice in general. Plus a good deal of unfitting CG, which I especially deplore.
But I like the CD drama since I can concentrate on the voices and don't have to bear with the fanservice.

Gojira wrote:
Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor

So like you...
Hapless guy gets involved with the ultimate weapon and beats the crap out ouf similarly grotesque monsters. Period.
Now you may tell me what great things I have missed about the show cuz this is all that comes to my mind. Open a Guyver thread if you like.

Gojira wrote:
Revolutionary Girl Utena

I didn't know Utena was being underrated. I think its lack in popularity stems from its being one of the most enigmatic shows in existence. You need a good deal of fantasy and metaphorical understanding to get an idea of what the show is about. Opinions can be discussed for ages without coming to a conclusion. It's simply to high for most people to reach. Those who can live with their intellectual shortcomings (in relation to the series' standard) indulge in the colorful graphics, the Yuri elements, the humor, and the well choreographed swordfight scenes. The rest just turn their back on Utena, and I understand that one wouldn't want to cherish a series which he doesn't comprehend.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2009, 1:02 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Too much loli fanservice in particular and too much fanservice in general. Plus a good deal of unfitting CG, which I especially deplore.
But I like the CD drama since I can concentrate on the voices and don't have to bear with the fanservice.

I don't recall any loli fanservice in it and if there were, it's prolly subtle or I must have missed it will all the action scenes going on.

If you can't stand CG in anime then I recommend you to watch Zoids, cuz there's a TON of it! :P

j/k :lol2:

42317 wrote:
So like you...
Hapless guy gets involved with the ultimate weapon and beats the crap out of similarly grotesque monsters. Period.
Now you may tell me what great things I have missed about the show cuz this is all that comes to my mind. Open a Guyver thread if you like.

Well I could, but then again I understand what you mean. Though there is more to it than just "having the ultimate weapon and beating the shit out of everyone, etc., etc., etc." I'm definitely making a Guyver thread sometime later this week.

42317 wrote:
I didn't know Utena was being underrated. I think its lack in popularity stems from its being one of the most enigmatic shows in existence. You need a good deal of fantasy and metaphorical understanding to get an idea of what the show is about. Opinions can be discussed for ages without coming to a conclusion. It's simply to high for most people to reach. Those who can live with their intellectual shortcomings (in relation to the series' standard) indulge in the colorful graphics, the Yuri elements, the humor, and the well choreographed swordfight scenes. The rest just turn their back on Utena, and I understand that one wouldn't want to cherish a series which he doesn't comprehend.

Exactly. And it's a shame that people think that it's too hard to comprehend (but it's really not once you look hard enough into it). Plus, who couldn't resist the kickass soundtrack it has? 8)

PostPosted: December 6th, 2009, 2:31 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
I don't recall any loli fanservice in it and if there were, it's prolly subtle or I must have missed it will all the action scenes going on.

What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be reading a book or something? :lol:

Anyways, Amy is a loli fanservice in herself. I found it obvious.

42317 wrote:
Plus, who couldn't resist the kickass soundtrack it has? 8)

Who couldn't?
More like "who could", right? Am I wrong? Getting negations confused?
But yeah, Kamiya Maki was so great doing the Utena soundtrack I bought the CD in Japan. 絶対運命黙示録 ("Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku") - "Our ultimate fate is the Apocalypse". Easily one of the most powerful mottos I have so far encountered.
Later, I went on looking for more music by Kamiya Maki, but I only found a person of that name on the Japanese "Powerpuff Girls" soundtrack. It's like she's never done anything else!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2009, 7:56 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be reading a book or something? :lol:

Anyways, Amy is a loli fanservice in herself. I found it obvious.

Oh, please. Amy wasn't doing sexual or anything suggestive like that. Just cuz she's a young girl doesn't necessarily mean make her a loli. Granted, she may have pigtail-hair, wear pink and has a stuffed animal may seem to imply it (which is prolly what you're getting at 42317), but I didn't view Amy as an excuse for loli fanservice, but more of a character instead and she can funny at times, especially if she's arguing with Meg over the small things in life.

42317 wrote:
Kamiya Maki was so great doing the Utena soundtrack I bought the CD in Japan. 絶対運命黙示録 ("Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku") - "Our ultimate fate is the Apocalypse". Easily one of the most powerful mottos I have so far encountered.
Later, I went on looking for more music by Kamiya Maki, but I only found a person of that name on the Japanese "Powerpuff Girls" soundtrack. It's like she's never done anything else!

I remember looking her up before and I too was surprised that she hardly made more music. It's rather sad, cuz I thought she was a terrific musician. :(

PostPosted: December 7th, 2009, 9:47 am 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
Oh, please. Amy wasn't doing sexual or anything suggestive like that. Just cuz she's a young girl doesn't necessarily mean make her a loli. Granted, she may have pigtail-hair, wear pink and has a stuffed animal may seem to imply it

What about the clothes she wears? Poses and angles?
Compared to other series it's rather subtle, but imho it's there.
I'm sensitive to such things... my threshold is low you might say.
Nobody ever noticed anything about Zettai Shônen until I came up and said "That's a show for foot fetishists!" :lol2: :sweat:

PostPosted: December 7th, 2009, 3:08 pm 
Regular

do not have anything really to add to the topic but i thought i would point this out:

42317 wrote:
Gojira wrote:
Plus, who couldn't resist the kickass soundtrack it has? 8)

Who couldn't?
More like "who could", right? Am I wrong? Getting negations confused?

you are wrong since usually the speaker, gojira in this case, puts themselves in the group stated. it works either way though since the context is already there to setup the tone.

PostPosted: December 7th, 2009, 9:51 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
What about the clothes she wears? Poses and angles?
Compared to other series it's rather subtle, but imho it's there.
I'm sensitive to such things... my threshold is low you might say.
Nobody ever noticed anything about Zettai Shônen until I came up and said "That's a show for foot fetishists!" :lol2: :sweat:

Tis OK. I can understand that. Even though, it's not a really big deal, but if it makes you uncomfortable you don't have to watch it. I'm sensitive to other things in anime as well. Lolicon does bother me too, but only if it's heavily implied or explicit in anyway, then I stop watching that serious in particular *glares directly at Kanamemo*. Same thing goes for shounen-ai/yaoi as well, course I don't mind it if it's only portrayed in a comedic fashion (like in Gurren Lagann lol), but if it's serious or for fanservice (ex. The Ouran Host Club) I feel all iffy inside. So yeah. I know how that feels.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2009, 2:19 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
Madlax is one of the million clones of Noir (which is garbage)
:d-_-b:
I couldn't stand to watch Madlax either (might have been the name), but Noir is just awesome! the music, the art, the characters! Haha, I've come to realize this has always been a Noir hating forum!

I agree with Gojira, Honey and Clover is definitely a great series, but I don't think is underrated, it's just not well known.

To me the most underrated Legend has to be Hunter x Hunter: the story is by far coolest and the characters way more intriguing than most other shounen anime series. Yet not many people ever give it a try. But I do understand that many would think it's not worthy since the mangaka has been taking 2 years breaks every now and then, and so the anime hasn't been able to progress at all since then. :diss: However the entry arcs are really great. The animation might be a bit dated but it's definitely a very entertaining series.