Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hentaimetric?
PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 7:48 pm 

Not to speak for Libertista, but I think she wasn't suggesting becoming a pirate community, but that instead, most anime and manga boards cover stuff that is current in Japan, not in localized markets. And unless you speak the language and import your R2 DVDs, not many westerners are legally watching anime currently being broacast in Japan. Thus, most communities more or less have to support fansubbing outright or they have nothing to talk about. That's why only a handful of people here talk about stuff that is fansubbed on the anime main boards, the bulk of the threads and posts are instead about older stuff that's been hanging around in legal form for quite a few years.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 10:08 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
While there may be more hentai reviews being posted now then in the past, the site has not fundamentally changed. It always included both adult and non-adult reviews with continued posting of both types throughout its existence. I highly doubt the amount of hentai reviews is pushing people away. Usually it's the fact of there being adult content at all that would push someone away. Even when I first started writing reviews, which was a time when there was a much more even mix of anime and hentai reviews being posted, the forum was not filled with an overabundance of people and visits to the site are much the same as they were then (though pageviews are much higher now).

42317 may have the correct idea as to the lack of getting members, as well as Libertista with his astute observation that my not wanting to turn the forum into a hotbed of illegal content links, downloads, streaming videos, etc., kept a large % of people from joining. I knew this would hamstring the growth of the forum to some extent when I first started it up, but that's not a direction I wanted it to go. Of course, lest we forget, you can post fansub links on the forum. As we have done for the Title of the Month thread and such. It's just not widespread, nor do we have a section dedicated to such an activity.

And I don't see the lack of links to funsubbed material as a reason that people are not talking about newer titles more often. Not having links on here doesn't stop people from finding and watching such titles themselves (like most of us do) and then coming here to talk about them. I think we just happen to have a group of, more or less, old fogies who don't watch everything as soon as it comes out of Japan like many of the younger fans do. (Plus we just don't have that kind of free time anymore :diss:).

I'm hopeful we'll get some more members coming in when the new site goes live. I've been working on the backend coding for the past few months and we are nearing completion. Sadly, then I have to go through and add all the reviews into the new database system, which could take a while. I've been trying to organize and setup all the reviews for the move over but it's a slow and taxing process to be sure.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 10:26 pm 
Major Contributor

Um, Aaron...

I was gonna wait till Libertista told you so i could read your obvious shocked reaction but the blooper is getting a little too stale: Libertista is a guy, his name is Joaquin, and he's from Spain but living currently in Germany.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2009, 11:06 pm 
Resident Admin

G-Core wrote:
Um, Aaron...
I was gonna wait till Libertista told you so i could read your obvious shocked reaction but the blooper is getting a little too stale: Libertista is a guy, his name is Joaquin, and he's from Spain but living currently in Germany.

:lol: :doh: It's been that type of couple months G-Core. Sorry about that Libertista :oops: Could have sworn you were a woman for some reason... wishful thinking mayhaps? :whistle: or maybe it was Shirogetsune's misinformation :P2:

That does remind me though:

Libertista wrote:
If I got to like Animetric in the first place is because it was the only place I saw which reviews hentai (and other anime) with some pretence of seriousness, instead of a drooling walk through the different sexual activities displayed.

Hentai... It's serious business! :d^_^b: (Have to be able to use that as a tagline somewhere). We will soon have those dreaded bigger screenshots through. Always wanted to make it so the images were bigger and you could expand them to full size. Don't know what that's going to do to the bandwidth yet but I think it will be a nice change of pace from all these reviews with the small static ones the they have now.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 10:28 am 

I thought I had edited out all of the she's when I posted. Damn. I got to the end of my post, and realized I didn't really know the sex of Libertista... and then (poorly) proof read my post and changed to either gender neutral and axed it completely. Except for one. And it only takes one. There always seems to be one.

What I meant about the lack of direct downloads relating to discussion about fan subbed anime wasn't clear enough. Since the focus of the forum isn't about the newest, greatest, best-est, .... there is room for discussion about stuff that has been around from anywhere from a couple years to the roots of anime itself. Other forums I've seen... if you're not talking about A) Stuff that was released stateside this month or B) fansubbed material, then you're out of the times and "lame."

Animetric doesn't have that mentality. We can talk about anything from a new fansubbed title to old 70's - 80's material and not have to worry about people criticizing your choice of title to discuss.

Hope that clears it up!

PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 5:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
Um, Aaron... I was gonna wait till Libertista told you so i could read your obvious shocked reaction but the blooper is getting a little too stale: Libertista is a guy

Oh, you spoiled all the fun! :lol:

It was shirogetsune who started the female pronoun usage, wasn't he?

Acmurphy wrote:
I'm hopeful we'll get some more members coming in when the new site goes live.

A new site? And you kept it secret, you dog :mrgreen: ... wanted to give us a Xmas present? :D

Acmurphy wrote:
wanted to make it so the images were bigger and you could expand them to full size. Don't know what that's going to do to the bandwidth yet but I think it will be a nice change of pace from all these reviews with the small static ones the they have now.

I can already see you paddling back to static little screenshots. :P2:
I remember another site that suddenly had big pics for downloading and even sample vids of 30 secs, but a few weeks later it was all gone again because bandwidth utilization had exploded.

Acmurphy wrote:
I think we just happen to have a group of, more or less, old fogies who don't watch everything as soon as it comes out of Japan like many of the younger fans do.

It still requires people to write elaborately about what they have seen, and there are not many of us old fogies who write enough to be discussed even by people who haven't seen the title in question. And personally, I'm always thankful for reviews which make me want to get the described Anime.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 9:31 pm 
Lurker

Hey, being Ranma wouldn't be such a bad deal xD

My point is that, if we have to make analogies with catering businesses, many of the other forums are McDonald's and other fast food chains, where people, usually young, come to get it cheap and tasty, with lots of colorful advertisement and; meanwhile, Animetric seems to be the little café in the center of a small town which is owned by a retired guy so that he has something to kill time with, with some habitual people and not many strangers around. I don't want to sound demeaning: I decided to join this forum and not others just because of that.

Last edited by Libertista on November 28th, 2009, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2009, 9:34 pm 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
I'm hopeful we'll get some more members coming in when the new site goes live. I've been working on the backend coding for the past few months and we are nearing completion. Sadly, then I have to go through and add all the reviews into the new database system, which could take a while. I've been trying to organize and setup all the reviews for the move over but it's a slow and taxing process to be sure.

Are you doing everything yourself? I'm not sure how advanced the new site is, but I may be able to help you develop it.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2009, 2:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

Libertista wrote:
Animetric seems to be the little café in the center of a small town which is owned by a retired guy

:D :lol2: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great comparison. Priceless. :d^_^b:

PostPosted: November 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm 
Resident Admin

Mmsven wrote:
Are you doing everything yourself? I'm not sure how advanced the new site is, but I may be able to help you develop it.

Oh no, I have never delved much into the actual coding stuff. I can do a few things, but not enough to actually build a backend to handle all the reviews and such. After I finally got a site design I liked I found a rather large company to do the control management system coding work for me. We're nearing the end of it now, another week or two should do it.

42317 wrote:
A new site? And you kept it secret, you dog :mrgreen: ... wanted to give us a Xmas present? :D

Well I had mentioned it in the newsletter a while back, but I imagine you didn't see that since you never visit the actual site :P2:

42317 wrote:
I can already see you paddling back to static little screenshots. :P2:
I remember another site that suddenly had big pics for downloading and even sample vids of 30 secs, but a few weeks later it was all gone again because bandwidth utilization had exploded.

It's going to be quite interesting to see what happens to the bandwidth usage. When I took over the site it was using 15 gigs per month, now it is using over 50 gigs per moth. I imagine it's mostly because all the new reviews I post have 3 screenshot images instead of just one, and I do them at the highest quality I can so each one is about 6 times larger than the old ones Ro posted. Max 1080p images will only use about 200KB a piece, so if I use three that will double the current screenshot bandwidth. The key is what happens with the actual site. The basic site size is infinitely larger than the current one, but most of it is handled by CSS so all the images and such should be cached after the initial visit so they won't need to be re-downloaded each time you go to a new page. At least I don't seem to be using too much of my available bandwidth on my account so I have some about of room to go before I have to upgrade my hosting.

Libertista wrote:
Animetric seems to be the little café in the center of a small town which is owned by a retired guy

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 9:01 pm 
Lurker

Coming back to the topic, it's true that Animetric appears (using Google) in 1st place of "hentai review", while only being in the 7th place for "anime review" and not making the first page for "manga review". It's clear that since you personally strive towards hentai, you ought to pump the hentai section, ditch the manga section entirely and make a coinflip on normal anime... or allowing some of the old folks here (I mean, the people who registered years ago and know how this works) to send reviews for approval. That would revitalise it IMHO.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2010, 9:30 pm 
Major Contributor

I agree about the manga section. I mean, it hasn't been touched since Miss Ro last put a title there. Or maybe i missed out on some... Either way, that section's not too filled to the brim as opposed to the anime and hentai sections. My advice: Either fill it or kill it!

Just a friendly suggestion.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 12:12 am 
Resident Admin

lol, how's the manga section hurting anything? Even if I'm not writing any reviews for it (probably due to my lack of really reading any manga, especially lately) its existence isn't somehow a downside to anything. At least, not that I can see. And while the section may not be highly ranked, most of the site's traffic comes from the high individual review rankings for various keywords, so the section's failure isn't really a concern.

And Animetric may be ranked worse for anime review(s) than for hentai review(s), but there are about 100 more anime reviews on the site still, in spite of my best efforts :P2: The problem isn't that the site isn't ranked well for that keyword, it's that the competition is much stiffer for that keyword thus making it harder to be higher up in the rankings. I mean, there aren't many hentai review competitors out there, not that I'm complaining :0:-): but there are tons of anime review websites afoot.

And what do you mean by pump the hentai section exactly? Isn't that what I have been doing lately? :lol:

I'm not sure I understand any part of your post Libertista, what am I trying to revitalize exactly? (At least now after the site's new design is polished off). Its never had better traffic, pageviews, time on site, visits/visitor, etc., then it does now. Color me confused :?

PostPosted: January 7th, 2010, 4:50 pm 
Lurker

I didn't say Animetric as a whole is slugging. But I feel there is possible growth in the Anime section, and a section that could appear incomplete is more a liability than an asset. It would appear as if the Manga section is there for the lulz, when Animetric takes pride in being somewhat more serious than the standard anime site.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2010, 4:11 am 
Resident Admin

It's certainly not that I don't appreciate the thought, but I really don't see the areas with few reviews (Erotic Doujinshi, Manga, Live Action) as hurting anything. I mean, they may not be helping much but I don't see people thinking they are just there for the lulz. Maybe it's just me...

I don't disagree that I could use to have/be writing more reviews in more sections, certainly the anime section falls into that category as well. I'm really not a fan of using outside reviews though (I don't like the site seeming like it's just a review aggregator so I usually try shy away from those), which makes it very difficult to do much more than what I can find time for. It's a catch-22