Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hentaimetric?
PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 1:52 am 
Newcomer

* New: Hentai Review of Sexy Sailor Soldiers
posted.
* New: Hentai Review of Kimi no Na wo Yobeba
posted.
* Anime Review of Spice and Wolf II posted.
* Hentai Review of Necromancer posted.
* Hentai Review of Cosplay Sex Machine
posted.
* Hentai Review of Alignment You! You!
posted.
* Hentai Review of Dark Chapel posted.
* Hentai Review of The Roommate posted.
* Hentai Review of Perverted Thomas posted.
* Hentai Review of Boin posted.
* Hentai Review of Accelerando posted.
* Hentai Review of The Pollinic Girls Attack!
posted.
* Hentai Review of Resort Boin posted.
* Hentai Review of Lesbian Ward posted.
* Hentai Review of Nee, Chanto Shiyou Yo!
posted.
* Hentai Review of Imouto Jiru posted.

1/16 anime reviews on the front page

Might as well change the site's name to hentaimetric, no?

Post subject: Re: Hentaimetric?
PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 2:51 am 

Couldn't find the post by ACMurphy, but basically the hentai reviews draw a much, much bigger crowd to the site compared to the anime reviews. After all, there are a ton of anime review sites and only so many legit hentai review sites.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 3:17 am 
Newcomer

Shirogetsune wrote:
Couldn't find the post by ACMurphy, but basically the hentai reviews draw a much, much bigger crowd to the site compared to the anime reviews. After all, there are a ton of anime review sites and only so many legit hentai review sites.

Ahh. I see. That makes much more sense.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 3:30 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
The post Shirogetsune was looking for is the one here. It outlines the disparity of site visitors looking at hentai reviews and the ones looking at the anime reviews.

Animetric is one of the few sites that actively reviews hentai titles, whereas there are hundreds of sites you can find anime reviews at. As such, hentai reviews are much more a focus of mine than not, especially given the visitors clear desire.

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 8:40 am 
Resident Scholar

And yet another unnecessary thread... :roll:

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 2:21 pm 

Plus, hentai (in animated form) is a genre of anime, so the name still fits. :P

* () added to avoid a discussion on what hentai "really" is/means. In this part of the Western world, hentai anime is more prevalent than any other form of hentai, hence most Americans simply refer to it as hentai. *

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 2:37 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
And yet another unnecessary thread... :roll:

For once, i agree with you! :wink:

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 4:02 pm 
Major Contributor

Mobius3x wrote:
Might as well change the site's name to hentaimetric, no?

Um...no. I see your point, but feel it's kind of pointless to change the site name. It's not like Acmurphey's taking down the reviews that were here well before he bought the site. The example you gave is just an example of how he's very different from the previous site owner; I don't remember Ro reviewing hentai as much as Ac does.

Besides, hentai counts as a form of anime/manga, so Animetric still applies as a valid name for the site.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2009, 11:21 pm 
Lurker

If I got to like Animetric in the first place is because it was the only place I saw which reviews hentai (and other anime) with some pretence of seriousness, instead of a drooling walk through the different sexual activities displayed.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 6:44 pm 
Resident Scholar

Libertista wrote:
If I got to like Animetric in the first place is because it was the only place I saw which reviews hentai (and other anime) with some pretence of seriousness, instead of a drooling walk through the different sexual activities displayed.

People do that?
I mean, apart from such individuals who get paid for it or make money via sales of reviewed products.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2009, 4:34 am 

I have talked about my thoughts on this before...(and will continue to do so)...

Our Administrator and owner of Animetric is AcMurphy. He invested into Animetric hoping to make something back for his time and effort. Out of the millions of anime review sites I imagine its hard to get your foot through the door. So to do something completely different from many competitors. He reviews more Hentai than our previous owner did(which was Miss Ro...I believe she did it out of personal interest). These hentai reviews bring much more people to the site than anime reviews.

My big problem is that these reviews might steer people away from the forums and possibility the site. When I joined the original Animetric forum I was young and did not know about Hentai, after finding out what it was and Animetric's involvement with it I was a little taken back. As I feel some others may be. It doesn't help much that people using public or adult content restricted computers cannot access the site or forums. I found this out while at work one day, lucky me my job did not keep records of the sites we visited. I would have had a time explaining that one. :sweat:

PostPosted: November 26th, 2009, 6:49 am 
Lurker

42317 wrote:
Libertista wrote:

People do that?
I mean, apart from such individuals who get paid for it or make money via sales of reviewed products.
I'm talking about the Spanish thing at least. Usually a "review" is something cut-and-pasted from Wikipedia/the DVD cover alongside with some spelling-horror you can identify as the personal opinion. Oh, and lots of big screenshots.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2009, 2:10 pm 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
My big problem is that these reviews might steer people away from the forums and possibility the site. (...) I was a little taken back. As I feel some others may be.

I don't care much about the main site as I never visit it anyway :sweat: and as long as the forum exists... I mean, as long as it's not funded by drug money or anything I feel comfortable enough. :mrgreen:
But I feel a bit disturbed by the many "members" who join only to ask a single question which, so far, has always been about the identification of Hentai titles.
Wank support.

I wonder how Rowena managed to get more people onto the board, and I happen to know how much income she made with people visiting the site and clicking the commercial links... with a lesser degree of Hentai reviews. (Acmurphy, this is not aimed at criticizing your policy, you do what you think is best for the site.)
Did she have a special recipe that made the forums more appealing to a broader range of people?
Or was it due to the fact that when Animetric was born there were not as many boards to begin with? Today every bigger website sports a message board... in fact, every half-assed mob of adolescents has their own forum online.

There is lots of competition. I haven't seen any real big Anime message boards (well, I haven't looked any further), but I caught glimpses at the statistics of the (live-action) fandom boards that my girlfriend hangs out at... those are juggernauts with several thousand users and an according number of daily posts and replies, so if you don't apply a friends and foes filter you're fragged.

Does that tell stories about the Anime fandom? Are we so few? Or are we just divided into a countless number of small-operation sites? Or is there some huge site out there that draws all the attention? I dunno. And as much as I wish for only ten more active posters on Animetric, active on a daily or several-times-a-week basis, I can't think of a solution how to make this thing better known.
Maybe I'll add an according note to all the related vlogs or videos I'll be uploading onto YouTube in the future...

PostPosted: November 26th, 2009, 2:59 pm 
Lurker

Hosting a blog as I do, I get plagued with the same questions... However I know that my trade is too specific to attract masses, even if eventually it should become like that.

I would say it has to do with Animetric's copyright-supporting stance. People (me included) scan for anime and manga sites looking for direct download mirrors, which are fully absent here. In fact, now that I've downloaded scores of anime I got here to see what their ratings are, and only after that did I visit the forum and decide to stay :whistle:

Look at http://forosdz.com (the Spanish site I used to post on). It has a direct multimedia download sections which attracts 90% of the visitors, and then some people decide to stop leeching and contributing something xD.

However, how would it be if you created, say, a Facebook group and/or a Twitter account? It is an easy, not too time-consuming way to expand, and Animetric is a name catchy enough to be recognized.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2009, 7:35 pm 
Resident Scholar

Libertista wrote:
I would say it has to do with Animetric's copyright-supporting stance.

I object. Engaging in illegal action is no appropriate way to get a bigger group, nor is it an appropriate way to achieve anything.
I dunno what that forum you mentioned does to avoid legal prosecution, but I don't want Animetric being shut down because word spreads that it's a pirate community.
Oh yes, of course, these titles may not yet be licensed outside of Japan, right? Anyways, that turns the color of the operation from black to a mere grey, and someone would have to spend a good deal of time tracking new licenses and deleting the corresponding posts. That's the least concern. If you encounter the wrong prosecutor in a "grey case" you're still fragged and I'd like to avoid that.