Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Idol Defense Force Hummingbird
PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 11:06 am 
Resident Scholar

Given to me a long, long time ago I watched this yesterday evening after finally finishing DangerMouse.

The background story tells us that the Japanese government has privatized the Air Self-Defense Force, with bigger and smaller corporations taking over and putting idol bands in pilots' seats. These bands and individuals are having friendly singing air combat contests amongst each other for sponsors and honor, but they're also defending the country against some enemy (with loads of missiles!).
The Hummingbird team consists of five sisters Kanna (motherly type), Yayoi (tomboy type), Satsuki (lively bubblehead type), Uzuki (lady-in-training type), and Mina (loli type), managed by their mother Hazuki (tough-but-skilled-businesswoman type), widow of a former air ace (they are all named after pre-war Japanese months). To hone their skills they practice formation flying and air combat as well as sports, singing, dancing, and acting, and the episodes superficially deal with aspects of such a life.

You watch one episode and you ask: What about plot?
Well, I dare say there is none. There are these girls, dressed in different costumes, a few songs to be sung (not too bad by the way), and a few gags to perform. It's funny and all, with the girls competing against a male group called "SNAP", or Satsuki singing "Bibanon Rock" in the bath tub - but it lacks contents, it's bordering on boredom. This is a propaganda title for the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force, and that's about it. I'd go for the Airbats anytime.

While the gags were funny and made me laugh the most positive thing that I can say about it is: Now I have seen (or heard) the debut of Shiina Hekiru. Hey, that's something, too. Other great Hummingbird Seiyû of the time (1993-1994) include Mitsuishi Kotono and Amano Yuri, who are always a pleasure listening to imho.

Last but not least, what I found odd, strange, or plain unusual is the presence of a mother and a motherly older sister. Isn't that unusual? In the many other Anime that I have seen where there are siblings of sorts there is only a motherly/fatherly sister/brother in case there's a parent or both parents missing, so I felt that Hummingbird had a sort of double cast in that respect.