Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jade Dynasty
PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 4:06 pm 

Wow, I don't know why I even come back to this community.

EDIT: If I seem annoyed, I am. I've been working on a review, for this site, for a couple days. It's all in WordPad, so I can't give you a word count or page length to emphasize the work I've wrote up for you people. And it's not finished, not yet, not by a long shot. Yet, I come back here... after saying I've been working on a review... and get called lazy.

Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 4:53 pm 

Enforcing rule #1 would be a great start. A look at some of the recent posts from members, if I was a new member, I'd be afraid to voice my opinion. There are plenty of boards and forums where you can go to get insulted and insult, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them.

The thing about sarcasm, also, is that it doesn't translate from voice into text very well. In the real world, I'm very sarcastic and manage to entertain most of my friends with my Don Rickles-esque roasts. But they know it doesn't mean squat, because it's all in jest. It's in the tone. Text has no tone. So people can read disrespect, rudeness and other unpleasentries in your post with or without you intending them to. Thus, the Golden Rule I've learned the hard way from other forums is, "If you can't type anything nice, don't type anything at all."

And this isn't just reactionary post from something I read 30 minutes ago. I've been noticing this for some time. With such a small community like Animetric, we shouldn't be doing things to drive away potential posters. A lot of people come here to read ACMurphey's reviews. So, why are so few signing up for the forums? That's just my point of view.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 11:11 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Hey Shirogetsune, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts about this matter and not just heading off into the night as many others have.

I understand where you are coming from with regards to the comments; they do sometimes come off a tad snarky. I don't imagine anyone is trying to be intentionally insulting about it, but as you said the conveyance of sarcasm and jest in text can often be lost and taken in a different light than the author may have wanted. This is the same type of situation that happened with G-Core when he first started posting on the forum. Now I hope he isn't running into the same problem still, but the intent of a response can often be misconstrued to a much more negative connotation than one would imagine when writing it. I certainly don't disagree that people should make sure to watch what they are saying to make sure the emotion or message you are trying to convey is as accurate as possible to avoid any conflicts or hurt feelings. We're a small group who all know each other fairly well, there's no reason to unwittingly create any animosity between us.

However, for the most part we are all adults here, and if you have a problem with the way someone is responding to your posts you are free to message that person and discuss it with them. We don't have any serial flamers on here who don't care about or have respect for their fellow members. If you send a message to someone I'm sure they will be receptive of your concerns. They may not even know there is a problem or a miscommunication afoot if you never let them know. Unless someone is getting into personal attacks, flaming or some such, this is not a matter for me to get involved with really, you should be able to handle it amongst yourselves.

The forum has never garnered many members, so I am not sure what has kept most of them away over the years. I would like to think it isn't our mannerisms, but who knows :crap: Can't be all the hentai though, they love that stuff :P2:

But yes, I agree, we could all use to be a little more considerate. I'm happy to say it as a general statement: be respectful to your fellow members and think about how they may interpret your comments. We're all here to have fun, be merry, and talk about anything and everything. So let's try and ferment that atmosphere.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 11:22 pm 
Major Contributor

Thanks for mentioning me. :booyah: I used to have that problem in particular with my fellow Puerto Rican buddy, but i'm happy to say that we are now great friends and chat on MSN whenever we can. :D However, a certain German poster's comments have made unpleasant waves towards not only myself but as we saw today, other people as well. Usually i believe he answers people with dry sarcasm, but his response today sounded as though he was really not that interested in the topic but in an insulting way. :? You should know that rolling eyes never is a positive thing. :|

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 1:50 pm 

Shirogetsune wrote:

Ha it seems to me you are a bit touchy...we don't do it with the intention to annoy you...I'm sure the 45321 or whatever number guy did it just to bother but in a good way... :sweat:

Was it you who got angry last time because of a comment of mine too?...if I remember correctly it was...last time I wasn't doing it on purpose either..yet for you it was like I was drowning your goldfish :ninja:

Even this post is not to annoy you...but to make sure you stop misunderstanding our posts :booyah:

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 6:15 pm 
Newcomer

Fresnokila wrote:
Shirogetsune wrote:

Ha it seems to me you are a bit touchy...we don't do it with the intention to annoy you...I'm sure the 45321 or whatever number guy did it just to bother but in a good way... :sweat:

Was it you who got angry last time because of a comment of mine too?...if I remember correctly it was...last time I wasn't doing it on purpose either..yet for you it was like I was drowning your goldfish :ninja:

Even this post is not to annoy you...but to make sure you stop misunderstanding our posts :booyah:

In case you forgot a few of the recommended guidelines for your forum...here is a refresher.

1) Be respectful to other people on the forum. We don’t need flame wars on here, let’s try and discuss rationally without all the yelling, cursing, and personal insults.
12) Try and keep the discussion to the topic at hand. Don’t stray too far from the original posters question/comment.

Now....since it seems to be blurry to you as to why Shirogetsune was so "touchy" about your last comment I again will refresh your memory.

"Scary grandma though..."

His reply...."Really? Because that's my mother. And even if it wasn't, it would be my wife's mother. So you might want to re-word that last little bit, make it a tad bit less insulting. You should hope to look so good after a quadrupal bypass." I guess he should have added a smiley face at the end so you wouldn't have apparently carried a grudge about it for the past 6 months. Maybe Shirogetsune isn't the only touchy one?

You know, I really don't understand some of the people on this forum. Instead of keeping things sweet and simple, have enlightening discussions, and generally help each other out...you back talk. Then try to play it off like your just having fun. "Your just touchy..we don't do it with an intent to annoy you....and the best one...just to bother..BUT in a good way."

Obviously we are all raised differently but, I'm sure you have heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it. OR if you can't play nice then don't play at all". Err..I guess Mr. 45321 probably wouldn't...that region of the European continent generally doesn't play nice with others..oh but don't be touchy to that...I'm just bothering you in a good way. :D <--- there's a smiley so you know its just a JK

I mean really what was the point of calling Shirogetsune lazy. Please..tell me. Because I know you are reading this and laughing and thinking that I'm insignificant to you. Or what was the point of saying his mother was scary looking...because I'm sure you knew that just two months prior to the baby being born we almost lost his mother...coma for a week. But then again I guess he's just being to touchy about that subject.

How about actually being interested in his review of Jade Dynasty and just commenting on that. Because if you took the time to do that you would find a pretty darn good F2P game. Of course there is the alternative of not being interested in his review. Then you have the novel idea of not reading and not posting anything. But that wouldn't give you a chance to bother or annoy someone...in a good way.

I guess I'll end this post with a scapegoat of....Well...this post isn't meant to annoy you but just to make sure you stop misunderstanding our touchiness.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 6:36 pm 
Major Contributor

Erin wrote:
Fresnokila wrote:
Shirogetsune wrote:

In case you forgot a few of the recommended guidelines for your forum...here is a refresher.

1) Be respectful to other people on the forum. We don’t need flame wars on here, let’s try and discuss rationally without all the yelling, cursing, and personal insults.
12) Try and keep the discussion to the topic at hand. Don’t stray too far from the original posters question/comment.

Now....since it seems to be blurry to you as to why Shirogetsune was so "touchy" about your last comment I again will refresh your memory.

"Scary grandma though..."

His reply...."Really? Because that's my mother. And even if it wasn't, it would be my wife's mother. So you might want to re-word that last little bit, make it a tad bit less insulting. You should hope to look so good after a quadrupal bypass." I guess he should have added a smiley face at the end so you wouldn't have apparently carried a grudge about it for the past 6 months. Maybe Shirogetsune isn't the only touchy one?

You know, I really don't understand some of the people on this forum. Instead of keeping things sweet and simple, have enlightening discussions, and generally help each other out...you back talk. Then try to play it off like your just having fun. "Your just touchy..we don't do it with an intent to annoy you....and the best one...just to bother..BUT in a good way."

Obviously we are all raised differently but, I'm sure you have heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it. OR if you can't play nice then don't play at all". Err..I guess Mr. 45321 probably wouldn't...that region of the European continent generally doesn't play nice with others..oh but don't be touchy to that...I'm just bothering you in a good way. :D <--- there's a smiley so you know its just a JK

I mean really what was the point of calling Shirogetsune lazy. Please..tell me. Because I know you are reading this and laughing and thinking that I'm insignificant to you. Or what was the point of saying his mother was scary looking...because I'm sure you knew that just two months prior to the baby being born we almost lost his mother...coma for a week. But then again I guess he's just being to touchy about that subject.

How about actually being interested in his review of Jade Dynasty and just commenting on that. Because if you took the time to do that you would find a pretty darn good F2P game. Of course there is the alternative of not being interested in his review. Then you have the novel idea of not reading and not posting anything. But that wouldn't give you a chance to bother or annoy someone...in a good way.

I guess I'll end this post with a scapegoat of....Well...this post isn't meant to annoy you but just to make sure you stop misunderstanding our touchiness.

All i can say is welcome to our world and that is simply the way we are. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

I wish i could say to our Jerry to stop being such a whiny punk and act his age. What was it again, 37-38? It's really embarrassing how the rest of us are in our early/late 20s but an "adult" can't seem to put up with our sarcastic sense of humor and let it slide like the rest of us do and even tries to subtly obligate us to post stuff he wants to see instead of what we want; i cite the Youtube and News threads for support; control freak a bit much?!

And to boot, the most culturally challenged Jerry on this board which even he admits whether he wants to right now or not.

The last thing i wanna say before i kick his pitiful ass out of my life forever is grow a pair, spend more time with young people if he wants to learn even an inch of something cultural, and when it comes to critisizing everything i love, BACK THE FUCK OFF!!!

Last edited by G-Core on October 17th, 2009, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 7:47 pm 

Clearly, I've been mentioning the going's on of this board to my wife.

Since I spend the bulk of my time in the Anime board, I'm not sure who Jerry is. I only know user name's. But I will say it's responses like what I get here that prompted me to respond to the forum suggestions thread. And since no one is willing to talk about the game I've been originally posting about...

This thread can die, I guess.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2009, 7:59 pm 
Major Contributor

Shirogetsune wrote:
Clearly, I've been mentioning the going's on of this board to my wife.

Since I spend the bulk of my time in the Anime board, I'm not sure who Jerry is. I only know user name's. But I will say it's responses like what I get here that prompted me to respond to the forum suggestions thread. And since no one is willing to talk about the game I've been originally posting about...

This thread can die, I guess.

Jerry = Common nickname for German people.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 2:34 pm 

Quote:

Am I yelling?...cursing?....insulting?....am I not trying to be respectful explaining to him that we are not saying things like lazy...and touchy out of respect...that's what I was trying to say in my post...(not to mention again the scary grandma thing again, ha you called me touchy for remembering..ahem, but if I would have said that to someone else they would have maybe returned a better reply... a "oh and wait 'till you meet her..Jason himself doesn't dare touch her"...or "ha scary?...will maybe in that last pic she seems, but if you meet her in person she's the sweetest"...something that doesn't sound like "hey...that's my mother...you better re-word that"

We are not trying to be disrespectful...but that whatever you read seems that way...
Hell I tried my best to make my last post seem friendly with the emoticons and all (yes they help to make the post seem friendly :booyah: <-----see?)

And even though it's weird I haven't seen new posts of *scrolls the page* ah 42317...on his defense..ha that's just how he is...and we know he doesn't like offending...saying "lazy" was probably his friendly way of saying "well hurry up and post it...I'm curious"...or "Ha why didn't you wait 'til it was complete before posting?"....he's just made that way...and I don't mind much...

Anyways....we are making this an issue...I still can't believe how the word "lazy" would suddenly bring some life to this board :whistle:

On the thread's defense...I did see a trailer of the game once...if I'm not mistaken it's fairly new?...maybe not...but seeing it's free it may be worth a try...last game I was playing on my PC was World of Goo...which is funny...I bought the game from WiiWare too...but since it was on a friends Wii I can't play it often...
So maybe this one will keep me busy.... :gatsu:

PostPosted: October 17th, 2009, 11:20 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
See, when things start to spiral out of control like this that's when I get to jump in... :sigh:

I would first like to welcome Erin to the forum, though I do wish it was under slightly better circumstances that you decided to join us. The things we have to do to get new members these days :mrgreen:

Now on to the matter at hand. When you bring together a group of people, especially a group as diverse as we have here, there's bound to be some butting of heads every now and again. If you get in tiffs with your own family there's little chance you're ever going to keep such situations from cropping up in an online forum no matter how hard you try. It doesn't help when people have a more direct approach to the way they get things across. Was 42317 a little blunt in his comment, sure. But his intentions are not to insult you, but to prompt you to start a topic with more meat to it so that people have more to talk about or discuss after it. Now, you can argue whether that's really more important than getting a topic going in the first place and seeing what happens from there, but his heart is in the right place even if the remark could be taken as snide, insulting, or what have you. If I remember correctly, and I'm sure he'll correct me if I don't, but he said something along the lines of Germans get straight to the point much more than Americans do. So I don't imagine he was really trying to get your goat on this one, that's just how he is (ask all those pesky newcomers who post and hardly say anything, 42317 is always there to show them what for :P2: )

I must say though, 42317 is typically a very respectful, helpful and well thought out writer who, while he often disagrees with other people and has no problem telling them as such, doesn't just do it for the fun of it. He almost always lets you know what he dislikes about it and isn't going around like "that sux!!! :vomit:." There is a reason why he's our resident scholar and the most active member of the site, and has been for years (more so than even me :whistle:). So I hardly think it's fair to try and characterize him as though he's out there "laughing and thinking of you as insignificant." Especially since he hasn't even posted a response yet.

I'm not insensitive to either of your concerns here; we don't need to have a forum fraught with members who berate one another whether sarcastically or not. But I really just don't see it as widespread or intentionally personal as both of you seem to. What concerns me more is G-Core, I think he may have blown a gasket with that last post! :doh:

Once we've worked through this problem I'll clean up the thread so we can get back to discussing Jade Dynasty. I'm not just going to let your thread die, especially after that lengthy review you wrote for it!

PostPosted: October 18th, 2009, 2:00 am 

Wasn't going to say anything about G-Core's post because than he would get angry with me...ha...but he did go a bit overboard :sweat:

But I already got used to him too...

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 12:00 pm 
Resident Scholar

Oops... I set off an avalanche... :oops:

Shirogetsune wrote:
Yet, I come back here... after saying I've been working on a review... and get called lazy...

Well, I say I'm sorry for misjudging you. But please understand that I could only use the information that I had.
What you wrote was that you planned on mini-reviewing the title later, which can mean anything close to eternity.
Thanks for coming back with a great review to boot... if you came back more often maybe I could pre-estimate your efforts better? :sweat:

Shirogetsune wrote:
I auto-routed to my quest location, set the Esper to grind out my two quests there, and by the time I was out and dry, I had two ordinarily mundane quests completed.

What a concept! Set some perimeters and let the computer do the gaming for you! :lol:

Fresnokila wrote:
the 45321 or whatever number guy

Dope... :lol2:

Erin wrote:

A sermon from a first-poster? Now, that's a novelty. :lol:

Erin wrote:
You know, I really don't understand some of the people on this forum. Instead of keeping things sweet and simple, have enlightening discussions, and generally help each other out...you back talk.

Hm, I thought we were getting along pretty well. That's why I'm here. But I admit it has already happened that someone reacted quite sensitively to another's form of humor or general communicational behavior.

Erin wrote:
"if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it. OR if you can't play nice then don't play at all".

Oh, you mean like those halfwits on YouTube who will collectively jump you if you dare say a word of critique about a video that they favorited... no matter how objectively you put your opinion. Let's face it: "enlightening discussions" do not stem from everyone agreeing with everyone else.

Erin wrote:
I guess Mr. 45321 probably wouldn't...that region of the European continent generally doesn't play nice with others..oh but don't be touchy to that...I'm just bothering you in a good way.

Actually you are trying to piss me off... which is usually difficult.
But I forgive you with regard to the prehistoric online behavior of many of my fellow countrymen.

Erin wrote:
:D <--- there's a smiley so you know its just a JK

Yeah, let's call it a joke. But please keep in mind that I am taking the history of my "region of the European continent" very seriously and that I am indeed touchy about projecting its past onto the present.

Erin wrote:
I mean really what was the point of calling Shirogetsune lazy. Please..tell me.

Okay, I'll tell you. What is the use of opening a thread about anything if you're not saying anything of informational value about it? If you open a new thread, let's say about the influence of sunrays upon the lovelife of road stones, I would like you to give some information what it is all about and if possible add some personal opinion - you know, to have something to discuss to begin with. Just saying "It's damn cool and I like it a lot!" is a bit disappointing, and that's how I feel when I stumble across such stubs.

Erin wrote:
Because I know you are reading this and laughing and thinking that I'm insignificant to you.

Why should I? Because you are a newcomer with a single post?
I want this place to be a gathering spot for many different opinions and I would be a hypocrite if I looked down upon those which I don't agree with. Discussion in a diverse group is an opportunity to learn and hone one's attitudes, not to elevate onself above others with clever rhetorics.
That's also part of what I meant earlier: Come by often enough and you'll get to know people, you'll know how far you can go. Like I keep saying that zero-chaos, a regular appearance, looked like a 14-16yo. It's not meant to discriminate against him and he seems to understand and take it with humor. At least that's my interpretation, zero may of course correct me if I'm wrong. Shirogetsune on the other hand drops in only now and then, his style is hardly a vague memory in my head, and that's why I regrettably went too far in expressing my disappointment.

Erin wrote:
Of course there is the alternative of not being interested in his review.

Of course I'm interested in the review. If it's there. Simple logic, isn't it?

Erin wrote:
But that wouldn't give you a chance to bother or annoy someone...in a good way.

Yes, you made your point quite clear, Erin. You don't have to repeat it all over and over.
We are humans, therefore we make mistakes sometimes, and we usually regret them.
Maybe we are also cheeky at times.
But we are not dense.

Now come down from your pulpit and join us for enlightening discussions. :wink:

G-Core wrote:
I wish i could say to our Jerry to stop being such a whiny punk and act his age. What was it again, 37-38? It's really embarrassing how the rest of us are in our early/late 20s but an "adult" can't seem to put up with our sarcastic sense of humor and let it slide like the rest of us do and even tries to subtly obligate us to post stuff he wants to see instead of what we want; i cite the Youtube and News threads for support; control freak a bit much?!

And to boot, the most culturally challenged Jerry on this board which even he admits whether he wants to right now or not.

The last thing i wanna say before i kick his pitiful ass out of my life forever is grow a pair, spend more time with young people if he wants to learn even an inch of something cultural, and when it comes to critisizing everything i love, BACK THE FUCK OFF!!!

Wow... now I feel my blood pressure.
Few people achieve that.

*breath*

Okay, we all have bad days once in a while... and I think you are a sometimes very moody person.
That's alright... as long as you don't add fuel to the fire.
And, please, if you want to say something... like this... again write me a PM. I can handle it.

*popup*

Oh, what timing!
Just read your PM. :D
Thanks for clarifying things.
So you're throwing a fit from time to time... I am the opposite and some people call me emotionally dead or cold. "It takes all sorts of people to make a world", says Louisa May Alcott. I won't rub this into your face, to use an expression that I was introduced to lately.
As I said: Next time you feel like using derogarory terms just PM me.

Fresnokila wrote:
And even though it's weird I haven't seen new posts of *scrolls the page* ah 42317...on his defense..ha that's just how he is...and we know he doesn't like offending...saying "lazy" was probably his friendly way of saying "well hurry up and post it...I'm curious"...or "Ha why didn't you wait 'til it was complete before posting?"

Thank you.
I should have just said: "Could you elaborate a bit more, please?"

Acmurphy wrote:
I must say though, 42317 is typically a very respectful, helpful and well thought out writer who, while he often disagrees with other people and has no problem telling them as such, doesn't just do it for the fun of it. (...)

Thanks to you, also.
I appreciate that.
I repeat: Shirogetsune, I am sorry for my choice of words.

Now, can we please lay down arms, bury hatchets, and all be friends? :P

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 12:20 pm 
Major Contributor

I certainly can! :D

Don't think i don't know that my habit of running around like a rabid dog is all i can be. I know i'm better than that, and i HAVE to be better than that for my life to be in total harmony. Not just for my friends, but for my family as well!

PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 12:51 pm 
Newcomer

First off..I'll start by apologizing to 42317. Indeed I am a first time poster but I have heard about this forum and the people/discussions that go on for quite some time. Well, since my husband signed up. I won't beat around the bush, I blatantly said the comment about your heritage to piss you off. Again my apologies. Though you and yours are definately carrying the weight of that horrible time period to this day...it was just plain a disgraceful period for the entire world.
I'm not trying to make excuses, I was flat out wrong to say that.

However, it is VERY hard for my to sit by while someone calls my husband lazy. In any since. Both of us work overnights, him working more towards 50 hours a week, then we come home only to say goodnight and I love you while he watches our daughter in the morning while I sleep, so that I can watch her in the evening while he sleeps. Only to get up and do it all over again. We made that decision so that we would be the only ones caring for our child, unfortunately it means we are only getting an average of 5 hours of sleep meaning that our dispositions are indeed sometimes touchy. :doh:

But again..isn't the point of a forum to start discussions? I guess my point is..what does it matter if the discussion was started by 1 sentence or 100? Maybe, like in Shirogetsune's case, he found a cool game and wanted to share it with everyone here but between sleep, work, and baby it was taking a bit to write the review. I know you apologized...thank you...so I won't go on and on and on :P2: but why would someone want to post anything on here if there just gonna get beat down for the length, or where its posted, or the way they wrote it.....etc etc? Your comment is a prime example...look at how much discussion is taking place over your 4 word post! Granted it may not be much about the original thread..but you see where I'm going. :lol:

I guess its as simple put as "You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

And I'll get down off my pulpit when you get up here and make me...oh wait...your up here allready? :P2:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next