Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently November 24th, 2017, 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Utawarerumono
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 9:55 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well I just got done watching Utawarerumono, a name I still have no idea what it means or refers to (must have missed it in the series). I have to say it ended up going in a much different direction than I thought it was going to, with Hakuoro not just building up a band of cohorts and battling evil but with him actually taking over a country with them. And then again in threw me for a bit of a loop with the twists and turns it took as the series came to its conclusion with the inclusion of Gods, mecha, powers, etc., most of which were non-existent at the start. There were two major dynamics that were polar opposites for me with this series, one that I really liked and the other not so much. To focus on the good to start with, I really liked how they went with Hakuoro running the country, going to war with other people, battling against all number of foes as time wore on and he kept being forced into more and more conflicts. Along with that, there was none of the usual mushy "don't kill people!" stuff, they were out to win and they were killing any of the enemy that stood in their way (obviously not women and children but you get my point). Too often in anime series I hear the virtues of life and letting people live, so it was a very nice change of pace to have them actually killing without all the speeches. It was even somewhat graphic at times with people being split in two, also a plus. What I wasn't such a fan of was the downtime, when they were just hanging around the castle and the characters just sort of had meaningless conversations with one another. This wasn't helped by my dislike for most of those characters, which is why I wasn't particularly fond of the time devoted to them. I think I just found too many of them a static template from start to end that never really changed as time progressed. That was my biggest problem with the series, and even though it did go a little crazy at the end there, I have to say I did enjoy the series overall.

It started out as an uncomplicated story of a man with amnesia and ended up becoming something much grander in scale even if it never became overly deep or complicated. And even though the end is ambiguous about it, Hatuoro is surely back from his jaunt behind the great seal that he somehow owned. I would hope for more clarity on that in the OVAs that are being released, but I think those are only going to focus on previous gaps in material. Hopefully those will be interesting as well (since they are just fleshing out events that have already happened).

Post subject: Re: Utawarerumono
PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 5:45 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Well I just got done watching Utawarerumono, a name I still have no idea what it means or refers to (must have missed it in the series).

It's written in Hiragana in Japanese which gives only a clue at the literal meaning. Only Kanji can make it clear. I offer an educated guess:
I guess it comes from the infinitive verb "utau" which means "to sing".
"Uta-wareru" would be the passive form, and "mono" is either a "thing" or a "person".
That is to say "utawarerumono" is either "a person ~" or "a thing being sung about".
The German title is actually a cool interpretation: "Heldenlied" ("heroic song", "song of heroes" or "~ a hero").
That would kinda suit the description that you gave.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 7:23 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I thought this series was great and loved every single minute of it. Karura was my favorite character because she's like a female version of Guts, but more laid back and treats battle as if it were a game. :lol: Granted, the amnesia plot was kinda cliched, but at least it was executed well. The only thing I didn't like about the series were the names of some of the people and places in the series. Good God, they're friggin' tongue-twisters! @_@

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 12:10 pm 

Sorry to say I do not share the love for Utawarerumono like you guys do. I watched maybe 5 or 8 episodes of the series. I found it to be about average. The characters did not have enough depth to me either. Again, I only saw a few episodes of the series so my opinion is based on a small bit of information.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2009, 1:48 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
It's written in Hiragana in Japanese which gives only a clue at the literal meaning. Only Kanji can make it clear. I offer an educated guess:

Putting your skills to good use again :bow: That does make sense given the content of the series, thank you much!

zero_chaos wrote:
Sorry to say I do not share the love for Utawarerumono like you guys do. I watched maybe 5 or 8 episodes of the series. I found it to be about average. The characters did not have enough depth to me either. Again, I only saw a few episodes of the series so my opinion is based on a small bit of information.

I can't say there's a fundamental difference in quality from the starting episodes to the end, so if you didn't like what you saw to begin with it was probably a good idea to stop. You hadn't really gotten to the larger story, but it was much the same as before, just on a grander scale. And the filler-esque episodes, where almost nothing happened, really didn't keep my interest at all. Luckily I watched it dubbed so I could just do other stuff while nothing was happening (which was a little too often).

Of course, you hadn't gotten to Karula yet, who was probably my favorite character in the series as well. Devil may care attitude with a Gatsu size sword and the power to decimate just about anything with it. Ya, she's my type of lady :nose:

Attachments:
snapshot20090921123108.jpg
snapshot20090921123108.jpg [ 51.69 KiB | Viewed 2557 times ]

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 12:56 am 

I quite enjoyed the series. Perhaps except for the last quarter, and Hakuoro's whole backstory pissed me off to no end.

The series' popularity is probably mostly derived from the game it was adapted from, a linear SRPG with sex scenes essentially, although a sexless version with new refined gameplay was released for the PS2. Both never got officially localized, but there is a fan translation for the PC version. The game probably includes better characterization and other scenes I assume.

But it was basically the type of show I was looking for. 'Historic' sorta war drama. The characters were interesting enough, but the show didn't really tell you enough about them. Hakuoro was a likable enough guy as well.

But yeah, if you didn't like it, its probably best to leave it at that since its just more of the same old. My overall impression of the show was while it was nothing particularly special, its a pretty rare genre and it is done sufficiently well. You just don't get war animes with people cutting each other up with simple old bladed weapons. There were some hints of magic laced around, but it isn't used heavily. Until the end anyway, where one side has god fucking damn robot knights from Escaflowne. Although I could somehow forgive that, but I really couldn't forgive how the whole setting was actually Earth in the bloody future, Hakuoro was some revived god from a fossil humans unearthed to somehow to find a way to re-adapt themselves to Earth. And everybody in the world was a byproduct of their experiments. That and dissecting Mikoto was just mean. Way to ruin a fantasy setting at any rate. It just felt less fantastical. Hakuoro could have just been a sleeping god that had been there from the get go, I mean they are gods. They just tend to exist and not come from anywhere. That whole missing link rubbish was... rubbish and wasn't elaborated upon as well. I could complain endlessly about it, but I'll just pretend all that never happened or something.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 6:43 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
But yeah, if you didn't like it, its probably best to leave it at that since its just more of the same old. My overall impression of the show was while it was nothing particularly special, its a pretty rare genre and it is done sufficiently well. You just don't get war animes with people cutting each other up with simple old bladed weapons. There were some hints of magic laced around, but it isn't used heavily. Until the end anyway, where one side has god fucking damn robot knights from Escaflowne.

They did look like Escaflowne (though they were more like a Guymelef IMO), with a bit of Evangelion Unit 01 (posture-wise and the fact that they're organic like the Eva Units. I didn't think they were a problem, though I wished they would have appeared earlier in the series. On the side note, Witsarunemitea (the god Hakuoro transforms into) kinda reminds me of a wingless Oltos from Betterman (which is Lamia's last and most powerful transformation) except with slightly less armor and has a face resembling that of a goblin shark.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Although I could somehow forgive that, but I really couldn't forgive how the whole setting was actually Earth in the bloody future, Hakuoro was some revived god from a fossil humans unearthed to somehow to find a way to re-adapt themselves to Earth. And everybody in the world was a byproduct of their experiments. That and dissecting Mikoto was just mean. Way to ruin a fantasy setting at any rate. It just felt less fantastical. Hakuoro could have just been a sleeping god that had been there from the get go, I mean they are gods. They just tend to exist and not come from anywhere. That whole missing link rubbish was... rubbish and wasn't elaborated upon as well. I could complain endlessly about it, but I'll just pretend all that never happened or something.

Spoiler
THEY WERE ON EARTH THE WHOLE TIME?!? :shock:

I couldn't resist and just had to do that. :lol:

Anyway, I somewhat agree with you about the ending Storm_Shinobi, but at the same time I didn't find it THAT unusual. I tend to think of it like the Dragonriders of Pern series, which the inhabitants of Pern were originally space colonists and over time they were reduced to low technological levels. Kinda stupid, but then again there are worse. Despite of all that, it didn't entirely ruin the series for me and I find still find it to be enjoyable nonetheless.

And yes Aaron, Karura is my kind of lady too, though I do find Eruruu, Arurū (though too young, but I have to admit that she's adorable), Urtoriy, and Kamyu to be really cute as well. :3

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 6:49 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Putting your skills to good use again :bow:
That does make sense given the content of the series, thank you much!

Glad to be of help. Especially since my actual practical abilities are rather rare. :sweat:

Acmurphy wrote:
Ya, she's my type of lady :nose:

... covered in blood and guts... other people's blood and guts... what a temptress! :lol:
But indeed I'd like to see that Anime one day. I like strong women.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2009, 11:08 pm 

I just kinda like my feudal war animes to remain.... feudal war animes. When like Hakuoro has been using his wits and tactics to get by all his troubles..... then these undefeatable Guymelefs show up and break everything, and it just feels like rather unnatural, something that screams PLOT DEVICE to get things to that end. I guess I'm a fan of genre purity? For too long have fantasy stuff have hidden super technology from long dead civilizations and other rubbish like that. Its fine if the series establishes that there is such things from the get go, but when they suddenly pop out of the ground....

And there has to be a better way to end things besides introducing random overpowered technology and escalating everything to a fight involving gods. I guess there's somewhat a need for a last boss and sorta climax, especially since its was a game....

PostPosted: September 25th, 2009, 1:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
then these undefeatable Guymelefs show up and break everything

Guymelefs?
I have heard that word before... wasn't that also a type of mecha in Escaflowne?
Even if it wasn't Escaflowne... this term gives me a serious déja-vu.

PostPosted: September 27th, 2009, 9:39 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
... covered in blood and guts... other people's blood and guts... what a temptress! :lol:

:lol: You know it! :gatsu:

42317 wrote:
Guymelefs?
I have heard that word before... wasn't that also a type of mecha in Escaflowne?
Even if it wasn't Escaflowne... this term gives me a serious déja-vu.

You have it right, Guymelefs is an Escaflowne term. Storm seemed to transfer to word over to this series which, oddly enough, is something I've found I do quite often. Since Escaflowne was one of the first series I ever saw that had mecha in it (if not the first) over the years I've had a propensity to refer to mechas in general as Guymelefs. Luckily the only person I really talk about this stuff with is an Escaflowne fan so he knows what the heck I am referring to :lol2:

To Storm's perivous comment on the series. I may have agreed with you more on where they went with the series as it progressed into its climax, but I think my disconnect with most of the characters kept me from really caring that they went sort of wild with it. So in that sense I really didn't mind it as much as I might have otherwise.