Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kindaichi Case Files
PostPosted: August 24th, 2009, 7:16 am 
Newcomer

Kindaichi Case Files is a detective manga series similar to Conan (Case Closed), but I would say Kindaichi is meant for a little older audience even though it's also rated for 13+. Kindaichi has been released by TOKYOPOP, but due to the low sales and unpopularity they probably won't release anymore volumes after the 17th out of 20.

I recently found the series and started to collect the manga. My intrest came up a little too late because some used volumes are nowdays priced so high that I probably won't be getting those unless there ever will be a re-release, which I doubt. Should have wait the opportunity to buy all volumes at the same time, but wasn't patient enough. However, the volumes I have so far read, I have fully enjoyed.

Every manga contains a different case, settings and suspects. Main characters remain the same, of course. The cases are solved with logic and the reader might figure out the criminal, which I found refreshing, though some cases are difficult to solve by self. But if it was easy the series wouldn't be that interesting. The emotions vary nicely; there are humor, sadness and suffering drama and it really works. I found the cases to be believable even though the criminals can be considered to be too lucky or wise and pull stunts like that.

I doubt not many has read Kindaichi, because availability is weak legally or illegally. However, the first six volumes can be bought used at a reasonable cost. And when you live in the USA, it's much cheaper (but still over-priced) to buy the rare volumes than for the ones who live in Europe. I really recommend the series anyone who likes mystery/detective series.

Post subject: Re: Kindaichi Case Files
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 11:43 am 

Sounds like an interesting manga. I enjoy a good mystery, especially if you can figure out "who done it". :lol2: Unfortunately you were correct on the availability problem. I could not find scans online so I guess I will not be reading this series. Which is sad because I am in the mood to start a new series.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 2:48 pm 
Newcomer

Well, if you're interested in I am aware of that only the first volume of the first series has ever been scanned. And it's the direct TOKYOPOP version, so I won't say anymore about that. Please, don't ask me. You might be able to find it somewhere if you want to check which kind of series Kindaichi is... If you like it, I suggest you to consider buying a few volumes as it's almost the only way to read the series. I own bilingual (English/Japanese) version of the first three cases and rest, which I have been able to get, are TOKYOPOP releases. Still missing a few volumes.

If I am not totally wrong, the first two files of the second series is also available in English (scanned Singapore edition?). I haven't read those yet, because I am trying to finish the first series first. Though the order shouldn't matter much because the cases are always new. Though it might help knowing a few casual characters from the other cases.

I am not trying to rush with the series even though I really like the stories. I read a case when I feel it, so finishing whole series will take a little longer. Next, would be the case number 13. Yet haven't completely solved any case before Kindaichi, but I am getting better case by case. On the long run you'll notice a certain pattern (even though every case so far has been unique) so knowing it helps a little to determine the culprit. Guessing how it was done is much more challenging even though you'll get clues.

As the TOKYOPOP seems to have cancelled the series, I am happy noticing the fans trying to give more light to Kindaichi. The Kindaichi Project, after a long quiet time and not released anything so far, is planning to restart the translation project. They're going to translate the unlicensed cases so that more people would know about and support Kindaichi. I just don't know do they have a Chinese or a Japanese translator yet.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 6:35 pm 
Resident Scholar

nakano wrote:
The cases are solved with logic and the reader might figure out the criminal, which I found refreshing, though some cases are difficult to solve by self.

That is way better than Conan where the reader/viewer gets no whatsoever clue about the cases. Conan suddenly unmasks the perpetrator and then produces a monologue in which he explains his decision. That's why I think that Meitantei Conan is not just overrated but indeed crap. Kindaichi seems decent, although I only saw the live-action series in Japan.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2009, 1:09 pm 
Newcomer

I remember trying to watch some Kindaichi special, but didn't just like the main character, Kindaichi, in that version. So, I pretty much stopped after the beginning of special. Anime version seemed to be better for me, but I think the best incarnation is the manga. It fits for these kind of series.

What usually comes to the Japanase TV-drama they're a little strangely acted. This might be a reason why I don't follow Japanese dramas. However, when Liar Game aired it was good, though cartoonishly acted.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2009, 7:56 am 
Resident Scholar

nakano wrote:
What usually comes to the Japanase TV-drama they're a little strangely acted.

I tend to think that Japanese TV dramas are not a different quality of acting, but just a different style - that might seem strange to many outsiders.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 5:16 am 
Newcomer

42317 wrote:
I tend to think that Japanese TV dramas are not a different quality of acting, but just a different style - that might seem strange to many outsiders.

Yes, I agree. However, samurai TV-dramas and movies are usually "normally" acted. I prefer that genre and also ordered Lone Wolf & Cub TV Collection 1 from the 70's to be watched sometime, not yet arrived from the USA.

So that I wouldn't talk too much off-topic, the Kindaichi Project has released their first chapter of one Kindaichi short story. I have a guess who the murderer is, but don't quite know how it was done. Any thoughts? I hope Kindaichi has a better and more logical explanation than I. The conclusion chapter will tell how much I figured out right when released.