Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 6:27 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 2:19 am 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 20th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Posts: 1055
Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
zero_chaos wrote:
Gojira wrote:
C'mon now...Zero, my friend, my buddy, my pal, my chump, my amigo.

:lol2: Sorry Gojira. I really tried to like it. At the time it came out(on either adult swim or toonami) I had no way of watching anime other than cartoon network. So every time one would come out on tv I would really try to enjoy it. Sadly, Big O was just too average and (like you said) paralleled Batman way too much.

To each on their own. It's OK if ya don't like, but don't worry for there are other mecha series that are as great if not better than Big O out there. :)

I would like to include Kodai Ōja Kyōryū King D-Kids Adventure aka Dinosaur King to be awful. It's like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh combined. Lame. :wtf: If there's going to be a dinosaur-themed anime, make something that's like Dino Crisis, Turok, or Primal Rage for that matter. :roll:

_________________
Image
Sailor Senshi and Gamera are a great mix together. :3


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 12:50 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
Armitage III: Dual Matrix - While it has a pretty neat story, it's Achilles heel rests entirely in the animation. The 3D style animation just doesn't quite feel up to par and the fact that it pretty much takes center stage in that department kinda takes one away from enjoying the plot. As for the voices, Juliette Lewis was all right as Naomi Armitage but IMO nobody can beat Elizabeth Berkley as Armitage's voice actress; even the actress who voiced Armitage in the OVA was not as good, as a matter of fact both Elizabeth and Juliette beat her out down pat cause the OVA actress was REALLY terrible. :d-_-b: Skip Skellrecht as Ross Sylibus, more or less the same situation, i'm too used to Keifer Sutherland's rendition. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 5:29 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
I remember Armitage III best for Hitler's speech about Poland (from September 1st, 1939) in the background of the soundtrack. :doh:

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 2:58 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Posts: 569
Garzey's Wing. I still think Divergence Eve/Misaki chronicles is one of the worst but at least it kind of had a conclusion and a story you could follow. Garzey's Wing took mind rape to a new level.

The opening is a guy saying goodbye to his girlfriend, riding a motorcycle, noticing a shrine, having his soul kidnapped by a priestess from another world, descending naked through a world of gods and accidentally catching a fairy, and then finally landing in the middle of a battle (still naked, but now having giant wings protruding from his feet) and getting yelled at by someone who thinks he's the chosen warrior.

That's the first three minutes. :blink:

The show also throws in a two world gimmick (Chris, the main character, is living in both the fantasy world and earth) that makes no sense (his earth form will sometimes take damage when the fantasy world form isn't even getting attacked). Of course, this leads to one of the biggest WTF endings in history.

Spoiler
The people Chris fights alongside in the fantasy world are searching for a Bruja tree and they need his winged feet to help fight off monsters (I have no idea how flying like that gives him such a big advantage but whatever). However, after the fantasy world story ends without a conclusion, Chris in THE REAL WORLD flies his girlfriend and motorcycle to the Bruja tree without any explanation as to how he can sprout wings from his feet in the real world


You also never find out who Garzey is.

_________________
"DUDE you got the jesus bling! That's like the bling that died for all the other blings' sin!"

Dr. Insane-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 3:11 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
Cab329 wrote:
Garzey's Wing. I still think Divergence Eve/Misaki chronicles is one of the worst but at least it kind of had a conclusion and a story you could follow. Garzey's Wing took mind rape to a new level.

The opening is a guy saying goodbye to his girlfriend, riding a motorcycle, noticing a shrine, having his soul kidnapped by a priestess from another world, descending naked through a world of gods and accidentally catching a fairy, and then finally landing in the middle of a battle (still naked, but now having giant wings protruding from his feet) and getting yelled at by someone who thinks he's the chosen warrior.

That's the first three minutes. :blink:

The show also throws in a two world gimmick (Chris, the main character, is living in both the fantasy world and earth) that makes no sense (his earth form will sometimes take damage when the fantasy world form isn't even getting attacked). Of course, this leads to one of the biggest WTF endings in history.

Spoiler
The people Chris fights alongside in the fantasy world are searching for a Bruja tree and they need his winged feet to help fight off monsters (I have no idea how flying like that gives him such a big advantage but whatever). However, after the fantasy world story ends without a conclusion, Chris in THE REAL WORLD flies his girlfriend and motorcycle to the Bruja tree without any explanation as to how he can sprout wings from his feet in the real world


You also never find out who Garzey is.

I have Garzey on DVD as well and i've only seen it fully just once. Pretty much reinforcing your correct theory on how it sucks. And to think, this was Tomino's work. It was supposedly a Dunbine spinoff and i haven't seen Dunbine yet either and even though i hear it has one of Tomino's Kill 'em All endings, i think i would enjoy that show over the OVA spinoff any day of the week.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 3:19 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Posts: 569
G-Core wrote:
I have Garzey on DVD as well and i've only seen it fully just once. Pretty much reinforcing your correct theory on how it sucks. And to think, this was Tomino's work. It was supposedly a Dunbine spinoff and i haven't seen Dunbine yet either and even though i hear it has one of Tomino's Kill 'em All endings, i think i would enjoy that show over the OVA spinoff any day of the week.


Yeah, when I saw the words "from the creator of gundam" on the box, I thought it would at least be average.

_________________
"DUDE you got the jesus bling! That's like the bling that died for all the other blings' sin!"

Dr. Insane-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 1:42 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
Gasaraki - While i did like the T.A. combat sequences and the computer data coming from the T.A. mecha as well as the command central vehicle that supported the T.A. machines in battle which all looked as realistic as one could possibly expect, it was a way too obvious Eva ripoff, especially during the time when most mecha shows that came out were considered Eva ripoffs. Even the final episode pretty much is more or less a carbon copy of how the Eva final episodes went down. It also doesn't help that the two main characters; Yushiro and Miharu; are both so seemingly emotionless throughout the majority of the series' run that one might think that they're either robots or Rei Ayanami personality clones. Call me crazy but i'd rather take Shinji Ikari's whining over that anyday, at least Shinji has and shows emotion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 10:21 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: June 18th, 2007, 1:06 am
Posts: 818
G-Core wrote:
Gasaraki -it was a way too obvious Eva ripoff, especially during the time when most mecha shows that came out were considered Eva ripoffs.


Could you explain some more. I thought Gasaraki was mainly about politics, culture, and power. While NGE is mostly about mecha, drama, and psychological issues.

G-Core wrote:
Call me crazy but i'd rather take Shinji Ikari's whining over that anyday, at least Shinji has and shows emotion.

I would say the comparison to Yushiro and Shinji would be like: Watching a two year old try to figure out an rubik's cube(Shinji) and watching an adult with a finished rubik's cube(Yushiro) Neither of them are very interesting considering one can not figure it out and the other one didn't even have a challenge.

Sorry for my horrible comparison there. :sweat: If you didn't know, I was a bit left down by Gasaraki as well. The mecha action was cool and(like you said G-Core) the mechas were probably as realistic as we will ever see. A lot of the technical talk and political babble was confusing and often left you scratching your head. :lol2:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 10:43 am 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
zero_chaos wrote:
G-Core wrote:
Gasaraki -it was a way too obvious Eva ripoff, especially during the time when most mecha shows that came out were considered Eva ripoffs.


Could you explain some more. I thought Gasaraki was mainly about politics, culture, and power. While NGE is mostly about mecha, drama, and psychological issues.

Certainly.

Sure, the show deals with those issues but the way it does it just looks a bit too similar to Eva. The two flashback episodes that i'll give good credit for setting the feudal atmosphere in black and white, however the usage of the Kugai creatures which Yushiro and Miharu control much like they pilot their T.A. mecha implies Eva a bit in the sense that while T.A.s are robots, the Kugai are organic creations much like the Eva series. I think there was also a concept very similar to Eva in which when the Kugai receive damage, the pilot also feels the damage. I don't think it was applied to when they pilot the T.A.s because in that case, when damage is incurred the pilot usually is breathing eratically and has to receive an "injection" that is sent from the command central vehicle directly to the pilot in order to calm them down a bit. Of course, i could be wrong since i haven't payed attention to it in recent years. Also, the final episode was very Eva reminiscent due to the moments of a character reinforcing their belief in what they wish to accomplish due to "spirit characters" displaying the contrary reasons. The most obvious examples would be Kazukiyo talking to "Yushiro" and "Miharu" in that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 1:35 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: June 18th, 2007, 1:06 am
Posts: 818
G-Core wrote:
I think there was also a concept very similar to Eva in which when the Kugai receive damage, the pilot also feels the damage. I don't think it was applied to when they pilot the T.A.s because in that case, when damage is incurred the pilot usually is breathing eratically and has to receive an "injection" that is sent from the command central vehicle directly to the pilot in order to calm them down a bit.


That is true but I don't find that element is strong enough to warrant the title "ripoff". And I believe a pilot feeling the same as the mecha they are using, is also in Mobile Fighter G Gundam. Might be wrong with that though.

G-Core wrote:
Also, the final episode was very Eva reminiscent due to the moments of a character reinforcing their belief in what they wish to accomplish due to "spirit characters" displaying the contrary reasons. The most obvious examples would be Kazukiyo talking to "Yushiro" and "Miharu" in that way.


I have not seen this series in years(probably not the best one to defend it :lol2: ) I trust you are correct in the final episode point. I still do not see how these two minor points can spell out ripoff. If Gasaraki was about the T.A. units fighting a group of powerful/otherworldly creatures and the pilots dealt with many psychological issues I would call it a definite ripoff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 4:32 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 19th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Posts: 926
Location: Aibonito
Ha...even though I think Eva is better than Gasaraki....I can't see how they are similar too...
Or is it that any anime made with walking robots is a rip-off just because?

I know Eva's shadow is big...but Gasaraki does well to create it's own small shadow..haha...it is more about politics...the Mechas are nothing like the ones in Eva...and the characters differ a lot...of course...I haven't seen both series for years...but I'm sure I can remember well enough the plot of both...
The ending in both are quite in your mind and I see your point there...but...every anime now in days want to have their own confusing ending...must be a requirement :sweat:

If I would choose a mecha series similar to Eva it would be Rahxephon...and I love the latter much more... :lol2:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 8:25 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I must be the only one who likes Gasaraki, though I haven't seen it in probably 5 years now. I really liked the political aspects of it all (which was something different than you normally see), even though it made some episodes, when they were just sitting around talking the whole time, feel so damn slow. The great ending song made up for that though :mrgreen:

I'm not really sure about the EVA / Gasaraki comparisons, especially since it has been even longer since I watched EVA, but other than the fact that they are both mecha and focus on younger main characters I'm not really sure how far the similarities extend from there. It really just depends on how general you make the criteria, but then you get to the point of including everything under the sun. I'm with Fresno on liking Rahxephon (which I could see more of an argument for) much more than the others.

Have you seen Rahxephon G-Core? (Looks for your anime list but doesn't see one) If you like Eva I'm pretty sure you would at least enjoy Rahxephon somewhat. It really just depends on how much the similarities irk you.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 10:13 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
Acmurphy wrote:
Have you seen Rahxephon G-Core? (Looks for your anime list but doesn't see one) If you like Eva I'm pretty sure you would at least enjoy Rahxephon somewhat. It really just depends on how much the similarities irk you.

I've only seen the movie and i haven't been interested enough to be able to see it more than two times, unfortunately. :sigh:

My love for Eva is so high that i just feel that some shows since, not all, try to make at least one homage to it because it was an extraordinary show for it's time. And i also am aware of the fact that the anime that heavily inspired Eva was the infamous Yoshiyuki Tomino 1980 T.V. show Space Runaway Ideon. I might be wrong on this one but i believe Ideon was the first Tomino work that truly earned him his "Kill 'em All" nickname. I know before the first Mobile Suit Gundam, he did a super robot show but don't know whether that one ended with a "Kill 'em All" style ending. In regards to original Gundam, i wouldn't necessarily say it had a "Kill 'em All" ending since
Spoiler
nearly all the bad guys were killed but the majority of the good guys lived
.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 18th, 2009, 11:55 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 19th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Posts: 926
Location: Aibonito
Acmurphy wrote:
I must be the only one who likes Gasaraki, though I haven't seen it in probably 5 years now


Oh I liked Gasaraki too....I don't hate it..especially how evil those umm..Gasara? Battle suits things?....hmm been long since I've seen it too....but if I would to balance them...Eva outweighs Gasaraki and Rahxephon outweighs Eva...haha :lol2:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen? (Might Be Offensive)
PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 1:02 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
G-Core wrote:
I've only seen the movie and i haven't been interested enough to be able to see it more than two times, unfortunately. :sigh:

The movie isn't actually too bad considering it condenses the whole series down into a couple hours (don't get me wrong, it doesn't compare to the series, but it isn't nearly as bad as some of the others out there). However, if you even slightly enjoyed the movie I would give you two big :d^_^b: on checking out the series too.

Fresnokila wrote:
Oh I liked Gasaraki too....I don't hate it..especially how evil those umm..Gasara? Battle suits things?....hmm been long since I've seen it too....but if I would to balance them...Eva outweighs Gasaraki and Rahxephon outweighs Eva...haha :lol2:

I may have prematurely judged your thoughts there Fresno :P2:

It's funny, of the three titles EVA is the one that I actually watched straight through in one night. The only problem was I kept hoping for it to get better (considering how well liked it is) but it never got there for me. I wanted Shinji to grow a pair and do something and for a moment it seemed like he would, till it all came crashing down as the series progressed. I still remember the one part in, if I remember correctly, one of the movies. When Shinji is getting off to Asuka's hospitalized, half naked body and he says "I'm so fucked up." It was a moment of clarity for us both. It was oh so true for him obviously, and that's pretty much how I felt after spending a school night powering through a series and subsequently the movies looking for a ray of sunshine but only finding it outside my window. I can't say I had a problem with the overall plot, I just couldn't stand the characters. I think over all the titles I have seen Shinji in the one character that has frustrated me the most.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group