Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 5:19 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I'm with 42317 on the contest issue. I'm tired of seeing no-showers popping out and post only when it's contest time. I think there should be a rule where only members who have contributed 50 or more posts to enter the contest like 42317 said.

Or Aaron should start threatening members with bans in order for them to contribute, so that they could enter the contests. I know that's not gonna happen, but it's brilliant idea nonetheless. :P2:

Oh and can I has prize, plaese? :3

PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 10:48 pm 

I was quick to side with 42317 on the issue. I share the frustration about these "contest members".

That said, I see where you are coming from AcMurphy. Your argument was valid and I admit it proves a very good point. Fans of the site should be rewarded. However, the contests feel more like forum contests than just fan contests. Since you post this contest information on the forums portion of the site, I still feel like the loyal board members should be the ones reaping the rewards.

So, to sum up. Personally I think loyal regular forum members should be the only ones allowed to enter the contests. Otherwise it seems unfair. But your point is very valid, and I understand your choice of action.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 7:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
Or Aaron should start threatening members with bans in order for them to contribute, so that they could enter the contests. :P2:

That's harsh even in my opinion. :sweat: :lol:

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 10:37 pm 
Major Contributor

Gojira wrote:
Or Aaron should start threatening members with bans in order for them to contribute, so that they could enter the contests. I know that's not gonna happen, but it's brilliant idea nonetheless. :P2:

The downside to that is that I for one have nothing I would contribute, at the moment. Except for maybe Rumbling Hearts - which, as I remember from when I first saw it, he hadn't finished - but at that time he didn't sound too keen on doing so.

Gojira wrote:
Oh and can I has prize, plaese? :3

Um...no, thank you.
:shifty:

PostPosted: August 19th, 2009, 2:25 pm 
Resident Scholar

shgarland wrote:
Gojira wrote:
The downside to that is that I for one have nothing I would contribute, at the moment. Except for maybe Rumbling Hearts - which, as I remember from when I first saw it, he hadn't finished - but at that time he didn't sound too keen on doing so.

I'm having trouble seeing what the point of your remark is in relation to the current topic... I think you're saying that you would've proposed Kingdom Hearts in one of the contests for Acmurphy to watch, but you remember him saying that he didn't overly like it - is that correct?

Now, if that is correct I am under the impression that by saying "contribute if you want to be eligible for a contest" we mean different things. By "to contribute" I did not mean "to enter a title into the contest to be evaluated", but "to contribute meaningful opinions and facts for discussion to the community forum".

I don't want you to think I thought you were stupid - because I think that I made my concern clear when I was suggesting the (potential) improvement and there's no way you could have misunderstood that post. But I'm really a bit confused about the choice of words in your latest entry here. :|

PostPosted: August 19th, 2009, 11:30 pm 
Major Contributor

I actually did mean Rumbling Hearts, which is a bit like Sakura Diaries, only I felt Sakura Diaries was a bit more extreme. I can't actually submit it to the appropriate contest anyway, because it's twice as long as what he wants for the type of series he's looking for. (6 episodes or 150 minutes, if I remember it right.)

As for what I was trying to get at, I think I can some it up with this question: What if a more active member isn't able to come up with something appropriate for the active contests?

I was actually responding to Gojira's comment about threatening to ban accounts, anyway, and I dunno if he meant it be taken too seriously.
:diss:

PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 2:24 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
shgarland wrote:

I was actually responding to Gojira's comment about threatening to ban accounts, anyway, and I dunno if he meant it be taken too seriously.

Nah, I was just joshin' around with that comment and besides it's not of his nature to do that sort of thing anyway. Plus, you're definitely a contributor in my book so yer safe. :)

PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 2:50 am 
Major Contributor

Gojira wrote:
shgarland wrote:

Nah, I was just joshin' around with that comment and besides it's not of his nature to do that sort of thing anyway. Plus, you're definitely a contributor in my book so yer safe. :)

That's what I'd gotten to thinking, when I put that in.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 5:36 am 
Resident Scholar

shgarland wrote:
What if a more active member isn't able to come up with something appropriate for the active contests?

Then there's no chance for him/her to win the contest.
:?:
But since there are a few other participants the contest won't be in trouble.
If none of the active (above 50 posts) members have any siggestions to contribute to the contest, well, then there would be a problem I guess. But that's highly unlikely.
Therefore: Ticket 50! :P2:

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2009, 2:20 am 

I am siding with AcMurphy on the whole people signing up for just the contests, but for different reasons. I'm not scared of a little competition..plus being a longtime member we're more likely to know what AcMurphy will enjoy watching compared to someone who just joined. Even by looking at his list of animes he's watched it still doesn't fully express what he'll like/dislike, which can only be learned by talking to him. So..i say bring on the competition..I'll beat em. :ninja:

PostPosted: August 24th, 2009, 6:22 am 
Newcomer

Well, there probably exists a few reasons for this behavior. But for the disappearance the most significant reason I can come up is that the competition time is the most interesting. Then, you can hear the thoughts how other likes/hates the title you recommended. Comments of similar intrest are always nice to hear.

I am not too active member as you have seen, but if I write I try to write long texts. I don't find small talking that amusing (cultural difference?). I am (or have been) here probably mainly to read the reviews (well, if there will be anime reviews), that's true. Nowdays, I also find myself reading the forum sometimes. If I like to share my thoughts of some series and decide to take the effort to create a topic, I might do so. Or if my native forum is too quiet (it's usually more active than this; and I prefer to share my thoughts there, but only once) or I would like to improve my English skills, I may visit here. At the moment there just aren't anything special that keeps me visiting and also soon starting school affects my inactivity, our time difference might be a little matter too. For example I am not too keen to read topics "What everybody is watching etc." even though everyone tries to comment their posts. Also any special anime related topics seems to be very quiet. I prefer reading and comment those. It's true that I might try to do something for this, if I wanted. However, I have noticed the members are pretty nice people and the forum's topics options are wide enough. Plus, the texts are readable.

It's very unusual that someone wants to make competition that has prizes. It's true, that it was the reason I decided to join a year ago. When I found this forum again, I also wanted to try talk at the same time. And found the environment the best English forum I have been a member. Winning is always nice, but Acmurphy's warm welcome was more that mattered. You can also try to do competitions without prizes, I don't mind that variation because free prizes from an individual seems unbelivable concept in any case. Competitions are just an extra feature, a small part of the community.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 7:05 pm 
Resident Scholar

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
we're more likely to know what AcMurphy will enjoy watching compared to someone who just joined. Even by looking at his list of animes he's watched it still doesn't fully express what he'll like/dislike, which can only be learned by talking to him.

That may be correct, but the coincidental contest lurker will just enter a title and hope for the win - why make a fuzz about getting to know the admin? This system still does not create a real motivation to join or get lost. Instead they lurk and stalk the contests.

nakano wrote:
if my native forum is too quiet

What is your native forum, if I may ask?

nakano wrote:
I am not too keen to read topics "What everybody is watching etc."

I agree... I don't like these threads very much because they hardly offer opportunities to comment, and most posts do not really invite comments, being a short presentation of a fact. And if you try to invite comments you'll still hatdly get one. Those threads seem to be consumption only.
Or overly specialized: "What are you reading now" conists of 60 % Naruto, 30 % Bleach, and 10 % of whatever else. :lol:

nakano wrote:
Acmurphy's warm welcome was more that mattered.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2009, 2:36 pm 
Newcomer

42317 wrote:
nakano wrote:
if my native forum is too quiet

What is your native forum, if I may ask?

My native forum? Well, it's a Finnish forum called aniki. It's one of the two big Japanese (anime, manga etc.) related forums in Finland I am aware of. The structure of the forum is overall pretty much the same as in here. Aniki seems to have about 8700 registered users with 13 moderators who try to remind people, if necessary, to write correctly. They love to do spring cleaning to messages/threads which do not have well reasoned thoughts. Occasionally for someone, they may sound a little strict, but I think it's good for the forum. Hmm, I don't know what else could I tell...

PostPosted: August 30th, 2009, 8:36 am 
Resident Scholar

13 mods for almost 9000 people doesn't sound like much. They must either have lots of time at their hands or Finnish contributors are really well behaved. :lol:
On the other hand: If your forum has an "active turnout" like Animetric - which is at hardly 5 % - 13 mods are enough.

Post subject: Re: Jade Dynasty
PostPosted: October 15th, 2009, 1:24 pm 
Resident Scholar

Lazy.

No, not me, I mean you. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next