Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 5:45 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 7:42 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
Say, is it easier for you to remove SPAM posts if the posts are reported (I guess they appear in a sort of list), or is it extra work?

Getting rid of spam posts in actually incredibly easy. Once I see someone has spammed the forum, whether it's 1 or 100 posts, I just go into the control panel and delete them and all their posts at once. So there's really no need to report each post or anything and with the number of posts we have, it would be really rare if a spam post or multiple ever slipped by.

Not that I mind being contacted one way or another about it, but it really doesn't speed anything up since I typically notice it instantly upon visiting the forum. The lag time between the spam post and me getting rid of it is always just the time it takes for me to refresh again.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 6:00 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Understood. I didn't know what kind of behavior would lead to the SPAM being filed in a comfortable list, so I went through and reported every single one. Good to hear that's not necessary. I guess it might come in handy in a bigger message board with hundreds of active participants and several more or less autonomous subforums.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2009, 5:04 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
My only comment for Sir Aaron would be to please lay off the hentai for a while and review more true blue anime titles. I'm not forcing you, you don't have to take the suggestion if you don't want to. I just have finally reached the point i personally thought i would never reach in which i have lost all sense of enjoyment i once felt for all hentai. In a way, it's like in terms of watching pleasure, hentai is now just "little kid's toys" to me and it's time for me to stop playing with my little kid toys and grow up and growing up means enjoying the real thing whenever i get the chance. Other than no longer feeling aroused by the cartoon sex anymore, most hentai are discontinued in terms of completing what little plot most of them have. Even the most silly and most serious of softcore flicks one catches in late night movie channels has a little bit of plot that is resolved and of course containing great pleasurable scenes covering all other points in between.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 9:30 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
I kind of agree with G-Core. I love knowing what's good and what's not on the extremely rare occasion that I can actually look for hentai anime (I'd rather buy it from a store, and there isn't really any place I can go anymore), but all but four recent posts have been hentai.

As for my own suggestion: Some actual links on the Links & Things page. Like the banners there, it's just the name "Links & Things" kind of implies that there would be some actual links. Things that belong in the Shopping Guide don't need to be repeated in Links & Things, but anything else appropriate for animetric.com would be good.

_________________
Partial ANN list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 1:42 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
There's some sort of evil anti-hentai conspiracy afoot! :ninja:

I do realize that there is a contingent of you (however small :P2: ) that don't really do the hentai stuff, or often, and would prefer more anime reviews be posted. I don't exactly disagree in principle, I haven't been getting any up lately. Can't find the motivation to get the 5 I have half completed well, completed.

As I have said but have yet to succeed at, I will be getting some anime reviews posted sometime. Hopefully sooner rather than later. No I won't be "laying off" the hentai reviews, if anything the anime reviews will simply be supplemental to my monthly quota. I've mentioned before that over 5 times as many people read the adult reviews, that's half the reason why I started to focus on them in the first place. That just doesn't seem to hold true for the members of the forum :lol:

shgarland wrote:
As for my own suggestion: Some actual links on the Links & Things page. Like the banners there, it's just the name "Links & Things" kind of implies that there would be some actual links. Things that belong in the Shopping Guide don't need to be repeated in Links & Things, but anything else appropriate for animetric.com would be good.

Can't disagree. I'm looking at getting a new set of banners and such designed for the new site so I will update it with some other links and things when I get around to all that.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 4:45 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Acmurphy wrote:
There's some sort of evil anti-hentai conspiracy afoot! :ninja:

It isn't anti-hentai, it's pro-anime. I did just find that Icarus is selling Girl With a Thousand Curses in the e-store of their official site, and that's hentai manga. It's just that the reviews have been almost all hentai lately.

I get it though. 5 times as many people read the hentai reviews? A little surprising, but I get leaning that way instead, I think.

_________________
Partial ANN list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 11:49 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
shgarland wrote:
It isn't anti-hentai, it's pro-anime.

Pro-anime sounds much less nefarious! :P2:

shgarland wrote:
I did just find that Icarus is selling Girl With a Thousand Curses in the e-store of their official site, and that's hentai manga. It's just that the reviews have been almost all hentai lately.

That is certainly true. I had posted a link to Girl With a Thousand Curses being sold on Rightstuf for a fair bit cheaper than the official store you just mentioned during our previous discussion. Just thought I would mention it in case you had missed the link. Don't want you paying more than you have to for it! (Or myself, I still need to get the darn thing)

shgarland wrote:
I get it though. 5 times as many people read the hentai reviews? A little surprising, but I get leaning that way instead, I think.

Ya, it's pretty lopsided. If you think about it though, a whole lot of places have anime reviews but there really aren't that many places that have hentai reviews, or at least nearly this many. So over the years Animetric sort of became a bastion for adult review people. Or at least I would have to assume since the number of non-adult and adult reviews are not really that different. It's just the views that are.

Taking a look at the first 4 days of August:
Average Anime review: ~20 views
Average Hentai review: ~200 views
Anime review with a link on the homepage: ~150 views
Hentai review with a link on the homepage ~700 views

While there has always been a large discrepancy between views, one could assume that it is getting larger as time goes on and I focus more on adult reviews. Which, looking at the statistics, does appear to be true. Over the past two and a half years the number of aindex views has dropped by 2000 per month while the number of hindex views has increased by 6000.

But regardless of the numbers yes, I do need to get some anime reviews posted and one should be up in a day or two.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 4:11 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
Acmurphy wrote:
That is certainly true. I had posted a link to Girl With a Thousand Curses being sold on Rightstuf for a fair bit cheaper than the official store you just mentioned during our previous discussion. Just thought I would mention it in case you had missed the link. Don't want you paying more than you have to for it! (Or myself, I still need to get the darn thing)

I remember. I actually checked that link, and I think the dif is just $5. (Dunno what RightStuf's charging for shipping though.)

Acmurphy wrote:
Pro-anime sounds much less nefarious! :P2:

Somehow it does...

Acmurphy wrote:
Ya, it's pretty lopsided. If you think about it though, a whole lot of places have anime reviews but there really aren't that many places that have hentai reviews, or at least nearly this many. So over the years Animetric sort of became a bastion for adult review people. Or at least I would have to assume since the number of non-adult and adult reviews are not really that different. It's just the views that are.

Taking a look at the first 4 days of August:
Average Anime review: ~20 views
Average Hentai review: ~200 views
Anime review with a link on the homepage: ~150 views
Hentai review with a link on the homepage ~700 views

While there has always been a large discrepancy between views, one could assume that it is getting larger as time goes on and I focus more on adult reviews. Which, looking at the statistics, does appear to be true. Over the past two and a half years the number of aindex views has dropped by 2000 per month while the number of hindex views has increased by 6000.

That makes sense.

_________________
Partial ANN list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 8:39 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
I believe Sir Aaron will be happy to know that i am conceding in my "anti-hentai/pro-anime" whatever you wish to call it campaign. It wasn't till a few moments ago that i rediscovered my undeniable love for the genre. In short detail: I don't have any premium membership with any sites that offer everything so i usually lurk around free clip sites and the problem that i had wasn't really that i now hate the hentai because of underlying feelings of weirdness due to liking "cartoon" porn over the "real" thing but more because of watching usually the same clips over and over. The routine eventually gets boring, but when i see clips of stuff i never saw before, it's like being rejuvenated. Also, internet viewage is IMO far more knowledgeable than having to buy the DVDs. I used to have a few DVDs and one VHS in my near decade old collection but recently i decided to throw them away and not because i don't like them but reiterating the "new footage" defense, seeing the same stuff over and over is pointless when once you have it wrapped up in your memory, seeing it in your mind is quite enough to last a lifetime. If i wanna see hentai on DVD, i'd prefer to rent titles from now on, it's less stressful. So i guess that means that my recommendation to you Sir Aaron is keep those hentai reviews coming!!! :d^_^b: I feel like John Kerry everytime i say "conceding" but i'm sure more happy about giving up a cause than he did losing to Bush. One more thing, do you mind me calling you Sir Aaron? I just like giving you the royal title since you're the manager of this site. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 11:20 pm 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Muahahahaha I'm glad to see you have rejoined the dark side G-Core! :twisted:

And Sir Aaron's fine, I've no problem with it.

shgarland wrote:
I remember. I actually checked that link, and I think the dif is just $5. (Dunno what RightStuf's charging for shipping though.)

IDK either, I've never paid them for any shipping. Of course, that also means I have to get it over $50 to get it for free, but with the extra 10% off if you have a membership you can end up with it at a fair discount to the 25 bucks at the other place. Just depends how you want to play it of course. If you get it before me do tell how the rest of it is :mrgreen:

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 6th, 2009, 12:43 am 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:16 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
I don't really mind the hentai reviews. Besides, with how many more times hentai reviews are read than anime reviews, it makes sense that you'd lean that way. I only meant my point as more calling ya out on a dry spell for anime, rather than being "anti-hentai" or "pro-anime".

Besides...I've kind of been the reverse on manga lately, anyway. All I've been reading lately for manga has been Naruto scans and the US-edition Shonen Jump. (Curses is the first hentai anything I've bought since AG #101, I think, and that's obviously not gonna get here right off the bat...)

Acmurphy wrote:
shgarland wrote:
I remember. I actually checked that link, and I think the dif is just $5. (Dunno what RightStuf's charging for shipping though.)

IDK either, I've never paid them for any shipping. Of course, that also means I have to get it over $50 to get it for free, but with the extra 10% off if you have a membership you can end up with it at a fair discount to the 25 bucks at the other place. Just depends how you want to play it of course. If you get it before me do tell how the rest of it is :mrgreen:

Good point there. I think you've brought the discount thing before. It kind of depends on if they've got the book on back-order still too, though, doesn't it?

_________________
Partial ANN list


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 11th, 2009, 6:36 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Drawing attention and new members with contests and raffles is fine and great, but I cannot deny a certain... irritation... about people joining up or emerging from total passivity only to take part in a contest, who then re-disappear, never to be seen, maybe showing up for the next contest, without ever contributing to the community.

I therefore propose admitting only such members to contests who have at least written 50 posts.

I wouldn't say this was deterring potential new members, I'd rather think that it will encourage people to join for good instead of just living the fat off the forum.
I don't think that is asking too much. 50 posts are a joke for anyone who is willing to give something for the chance to take.

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 13th, 2009, 7:54 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor

Joined: July 6th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Posts: 1427
Location: Ocean's 14th
No offense at all, but the board definitely needs a better block from spammers. It happened again today, bunch of losers with no life who don't have anything better to do on a message board but spam away unimportant and incomprehensible crap. :d-_-b: They know they're gonna get thrown out the same day but they're like a bunch of spirits with no soul in them just wasting our time. :wtf:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 12:28 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
I therefore propose admitting only such members to contests who have at least written 50 posts.

I understand your point, and I feel your dismay when people either do disappear after each contest or sign up just for the contests etc., but that's looking at it from a slightly narrower point of view than I am. While the contests could just be a reward for those who contribute to the forum, as you have sort of recommended, you could also look at it as a reward for those who frequently visit the site time and again, even if they don't post and just come to read the reviews and/or forum posts.

Having people sign up on the forum is sort of a nudge on my part to try and get them to start posting, and it also cuts down on the number of participants I would get if I simply said e-mail me titles (since I really couldn't do a lot of these types of contests if more people were in them), but it’s more of a visitor appreciation thing than just a thanks for all the posts type of situation.

Don’t get me wrong I love all you forum members who I actually get to interact with, but those who continue to visit the site month after month, year after year, are still an important piece of the overall puzzle. Even though some one time visitors to the site may join up for it, having it open like it is at least gives long time visitors the opportunity to sign up and participate, if not in actually posting on the forum, at least in trying to win something. That's sort of how I look at it anyway.

G-Core wrote:
No offense at all, but the board definitely needs a better block from spammers.

It has a custom spam blocker. Unfortunately it's not easy to block people who can just sign up, verify their e-mail, and begin posting. Whether spam bots or real people are doing it, they're always going to figure out ways around anything you do to stop them. The best I can do is to quickly take out any who get through the site's defenses. As I am only one, it can sometimes take a while to take them out if, for instance, it happens while I am sleeping. So really, even if I installed everything out there, it's still unlikely that it would stop completely. So it's just easier to take out the one span poster a week and live with it.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Improvement suggestions concerning the forum
PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 2:10 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Acmurphy wrote:
I understand your point, and I feel your dismay when people either do disappear after each contest or sign up just for the contests etc., but that's looking at it from a slightly narrower point of view than I am.

Yes, I already know you well enough to realize that you have very wide views.
You seem to be the very model of a United States American. :P2:

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group