Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Godzilla Final Wars
PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 11:55 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
G-Core wrote:
Final Wars also pretty much solidified my stern belief that Minilla (Godzilla's son) is the most annoying mistake the Japanese made with the franchise. While it was good that they didn't repeat the usual "Father-Son Lesson" scene of the old days in which G-Man shoots out fire and when Minilla tries, only the fire circle pops out and the classic case of tough love presents itself when G has to step on Jr. tail for sonny boy to do it right. But the whole subplot of Minilla with the old man and the little kid was most definitely one the movie could've done without since it a very minimal subplot (not much time and very few scenes centered on the trio) so it feels almost pointless. :d-_-b:

I agree that Minilla was absolutely useless in Final Wars. I dunno about you but I kinda liked Showa Millina myself. Granted, he was looked like a cross between a fetus, Ernest Borgnine, and the Pillbury Doughboy, but he had a funny personally compared with Godzilla Junior in the Heisei series. Course not many fans like him, especially on the Toho Kingdom Forums, which sometimes their hatred is rather unreasonable imo.

42317 wrote:
And that whole kissing thing in anime but never in live-action J-flicks, must be an oversight unfortunately. :diss:

So true. Then again, they do kiss in JAVs if that counts. :P

PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 7:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
How come kissing is usually more common in anime than in Japanese movies?

I haven't done an analysis or anything... but I guess whether couples are actually shown kissing depends on whether they're Japanese or not. Foreigners and Aliens may kiss, Japanese couples have to hold back or the kiss is implied - remember Yomi and her fiancée (Noriyuki?) from Ga-Rei Zero. Their faces come close to each other and then the camera moves away.
If you can think of too many examples of Japanese couples kissing in Anime, well, I guess I must resort to saying "Anime and live action dramas are handled differently". And I might still be wrong because the scope of my experience is too narrow. As I said I have neither made nor ever seen a media-research study about kissing in Japanese Anime or Dorama.
I only know of a recent master's thesis about the depiction of crying men in Anime... which is being developed or upgraded to a PhD thesis currently.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 8:42 pm 
Major Contributor

I think that in Japan, because their culture is very disciplined, i believe that couples can't kiss in public. I was going through deleted scenes for The Grudge and there was one where i think Karen has to stop Doug from kissing her in public because she says it's a cultural thing, but then they witness a high-school Japanese couple kissing on a bench. Despite it being a deleted scene, i think that's one of the few scenes i've seen of live Japanese people kissing. But because it was an American production with Japanese crew, and even though the scene was deleted, they could pretty much technically get away with it. Also, in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, it was in the final product the scene of the two girls kissing when Sean and Han were walking through the back door hallway. I'm sure in the Japanese release, they probably cut that part from the scene. Like i said, i guess it's a culture thing.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 6:30 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
I think that in Japan, because their culture is very disciplined

It has more to do with shame and acceptance limits.
If a Japanese couple wants to kiss under the sky they do it at night, in a park.
I've been there, I saw it, startling a few couples while taking a walk in the dark in Odaiba... :lol:

PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 11:44 am 
Major Contributor

One positive thing i can say about this movie was that in terms of the physical characters, IMO they really did a good job in casting. Kane Kosugi who pretty much everyone knows is a true blue fighter, being Sho's son and all and Kane was a good choice especially in giving him the honor of being one of those super soldiers. Just a damn shame that
Spoiler
he dies but it was a noble sacrifice and the whole jet sequence was off the hook, even if the effects were obvious
. I didn't know until sometime later that Don Frye (the American captain) was also a martial artist. Regardless, he was a great fighter when it came down to both fist fighting and sword combat.

Another important little tidbit would be that out of all the cameos made by old school G-film actors, for some reason the talented Megumi Odaka aka Ms. Miki Saegusa was excluded. :( I think they would've let her back but she would've probably only come back as the same character since one of her famous quotes includes how she would like to come back and keep playing Miki in future films. (This quote was after the Heisei era and i think before the Millenium era began i believe since her last known appearance at a convention was in 2000. I may be wrong so if i am, feel free to correct me.)

PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 4:28 pm 
Major Contributor

G-Core wrote:
I didn't know until sometime later that Don Frye (the American captain) was also a martial artist. Regardless, he was a great fighter when it came down to both fist fighting and sword combat.

Well, Don Frye was a professional fighter for a long time and he even defeated Ken Shamrock in 2002. That was one helluva of a fight I tell ya.

Here's the full fight on Veoh.

G-Core wrote:
Another important little tidbit would be that out of all the cameos made by old school G-film actors, for some reason the talented Megumi Odaka aka Ms. Miki Saegusa was excluded. :( I think they would've let her back but she would've probably only come back as the same character since one of her famous quotes includes how she would like to come back and keep playing Miki in future films. (This quote was after the Heisei era and i think before the Millenium era began i believe since her last known appearance at a convention was in 2000. I may be wrong so if i am, feel free to correct me.)

She did say that as long as Godzilla films are still being made that she would like to come back and appear as Miki Saegusa. Though, it's uncertain if Toho would like to make another movie continuing or retelling the Heisei series, which most likely they won't.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm 
Major Contributor

I really wish that the remaining Heisei movies would come out subbed. I've seen them but unfortunately i had to go through the grueling process of lousy dubbing to do it. It's a hard job but what can you do, until that time it's gotta be done. :| IDK if you've ever seen this cartoon called Code Lyoko; it's a French 2D/3D cartoon; but whenever i see Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, the dubbed voice for Emmy always reminds me of the English voice of the character Aelita from that show. Godzilla vs. Mothra was great with the family theme, although i'm not too fond of the cheap Indy ripoffs, not because i'm an Indy fan, but because you can see the cheapness of the sets that it doesn't make it fully enjoyable. :wtf: SpaceGodzilla was a treat for me since finally Miki finds a man :clap: although her obsession with Godzilla and the "Little One" as the dubs so annoyingly voice that must've sent poor Shinjo :diss: to stick to dating "normal" girls by the time Destoroyah came around. Emiko's cameo in that one was a very nice touch. :d^_^b:

PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 2:42 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
Kane was a good choice especially in giving him the honor of being one of those super soldiers.

I still think that Kane Kosugi is an asshole. I saw him in a celebrity new year's show, together with a bunch of other sports VIPs, like Bob Zapp.
When Bob failed in one of the competitions he would just laugh and joke about it, he was obviously having fun nonetheless. Kane was quite the opposite. Whenever he didn't win he looked very angry and sat there sulking silently with curses written all over his face. Very different from the image he upholds in movies and commercials. I think I'd rather have a drink with Bob, given the choice.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 2:59 pm 
Major Contributor

On that topic, i've only heard this from Wiki so it might be wrong info, but supposedly Kane and his father Sho had a falling out because Sho wanted Kane to be an instructor at one of the family martial arts/ninja schools and since Kane refused since he wanted to be an actor, to this day they haven't made amends, Sho even called his son Kane a "coward" in an interview. I have heard about Kane's sore loser attitude at competitions but i haven't seen one of them yet. Sho's other son Shane is another story since he did take the instructor job like his father wanted his sons to. Another interesting Kane fact is that he was in a Super Sentai show in the 90s. It was Kakuranger, the ninja sentai from which the footage was used for the 3rd season of Power Rangers. I believe he played the black Kakuranger, and a running gag was that he spoke fluent English and over the course of the show, he learns and starts to speak more in his native language. Another nice little trivia about Kane's movie career is that he's done 2 movies with Devon Aoki. First one was the movie version of the Dead or Alive fighting franchise where Devon was Kasumi and Kane was Hayabusa. The second movie was the Jet Li/Jason Statham flick War in which Devon had a secondary yet important role as the daughter of the Yakuza chief while Kane was only in one scene in a sparring session with the Yakuza chief. One would have to wonder whether Kane's sore loser attitude extends to the movies since in that movie, like i said he was only in ONE scene. Would be kinda hard for him to swallow especially since he's done a lot of movies where he was usually primary/secondary characters, right?

PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 3:56 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
the Jet Li/Jason Statham flick War in which Devon had a secondary yet important role as the daughter of the Yakuza chief while Kane was only in one scene in a sparring session with the Yakuza chief.

What a coicidence... my girlfriend bought that movie today for some reason unknown to me and we're gonna watch it in a minute...

PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 5:22 pm 
Major Contributor

G-Core wrote:
I really wish that the remaining Heisei movies would come out subbed. I've seen them but unfortunately i had to go through the grueling process of lousy dubbing to do it. It's a hard job but what can you do, until that time it's gotta be done. :| IDK if you've ever seen this cartoon called Code Lyoko; it's a French 2D/3D cartoon; but whenever i see Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, the dubbed voice for Emmy always reminds me of the English voice of the character Aelita from that show.

I wish the same thing too. However, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II is the only R1 Heisei movie that has been released in both English and Japanese w/English subtitles. If you wish to view all of the Japanese version of the movies, your best bet is to by the R2 or R4 DVDs, bootlegs, or torrents.

G-Core wrote:
Godzilla vs. Mothra was great with the family theme, although i'm not too fond of the cheap Indy ripoffs, not because i'm an Indy fan, but because you can see the cheapness of the sets that it doesn't make it fully enjoyable. :wtf:

GvM was probably the 2nd worst of the Heisei series in the fact that it was nearly unwatchable. Although, Battra Larva was pretty cool to watch and the music score was great, but the annoying dub and the blaytant Indy rip-off scenes pretty much ruined it for me.

G-Core wrote:
SpaceGodzilla was a treat for me since finally Miki finds a man :clap: although her obsession with Godzilla and the "Little One" as the dubs so annoyingly voice that must've sent poor Shinjo :diss: to stick to dating "normal" girls by the time Destoroyah came around. Emiko's cameo in that one was a very nice touch. :d^_^b:

I thought the romantic subplot was rather undeveloped as the rest of GvSG, which is definitely the worst of the series. The problem with it is that there's too many subplots to follow such as the Yuki's blood coagulant bullet, the Yakuza, and the romance that when nowhere. Invasion of Astro Monster had a better romantic subplot for Pete's sake. Oh and the visual effects were pretty bad for Heisei standards. Hell, Gamera: Guardian of the Universe was made one third of the bugdet of GvSG, but it turned out to be a lot better too. I don't think any of the Heisei series characters were engaging at all, except for the monsters themselves. Maybe if I watched the subbed versions of all the movies, I would probably change my mind.

PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 6:04 pm 
Major Contributor

While on the topic of Yuki, not that i'm into that (don't you DARE get the wrong idea on this :whistle: ), but GvSG was the first G movie to feature full human nudity. I.E. Yuki's outside shower with Shinjo and Kiyo looking from their tent. The first G movie to feature nudity was the late great Ishiro Honda's last foray into the G universe: Terror of Mechagodzilla. During one of the scenes of Katsura being operated on by her mad scientist father, her breasts are shown only on the Japanese version since all dubs at the time made sure that such a scene not be shown in America, ESPECIALLY since it's usually little kids who are the bulk of the G core audience. :shame: *Pardon the username pun :mrgreen: *

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 9:10 am 
Newcomer

Godzilla is a huge heroic monster which I love most. I have heard lot about the Godzilla through Movies and series. I am having huge collection of Godzilla toys and Action figures.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2010, 4:15 pm 
Major Contributor

Sarah.Jack801 wrote:
Godzilla is a huge heroic monster which I love most. I have heard lot about the Godzilla through Movies and series. I am having huge collection of Godzilla toys and Action figures.

Glad to know that and welcome to the Animetric message board! :D Always a pleasure to hear from the fresh meat. :mrgreen: Especially big fans of the G-Man *the nickname i affectionately like to give to that particular kaiju star*.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2010, 6:47 am 
Resident Scholar

Sarah.Jack801 wrote:
Godzilla is a huge heroic monster which I love most.

Nice to hear. Some people here could use some more support for their strange tastes in entertainment. :lol: