Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 10:20 pm


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need Some Help With Genres
PostPosted: July 4th, 2009, 1:53 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
In a hypothetical world where one was looking at having reviews tagged with genre types, what would you like to see used?

Here's a rather lengthy list of different genre tags. Are there any others you would like to see added for non-adult titles (Anime, Manga, Live Action)? Also, any changes to the current list you would recommend? Your help is most appreciated in this endeavor!

Action
Adventure
Cars
Comedy
Demons
Mystery
Drama
Ecchi
Fantasy
Game
Historical
Horror
Kids
Magic
Martial Arts
Mecha
Music
Parody
Samurai
Romance
School
Sci-Fi
Shoujo
Shoujo Ai
Shounen
Shounen Ai
Space
Sports
Super Power
Vampire
Harem
Slice of Life
Supernatural
Military
Police
Psychological
Thriller

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Some Help With Genres
PostPosted: July 4th, 2009, 2:14 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: June 18th, 2007, 1:06 am
Posts: 818
You could probably combine some of those, like:

Action+Adventure=Action/Adventure
Cars+Sports=Sports
Fantasy+Supernatural+Vampire+Super Power+Demons+Magic=Fantasy
Samurai+Martial Arts=Fighting
Sci-Fi+Space=Sci-Fi
Harem+Romance=Romance
Military+Police=Military


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Some Help With Genres
PostPosted: July 4th, 2009, 2:33 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
zero_chaos wrote:
You could probably combine some of those, like: ...

Very true, very true. I'm all for paring done the list some so that's :d^_^b: in my book! Think I may keep the Samurai one separate though since people are always looking for those titles involving Samurai (who isn't!), but I feel the other ones you listed.

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Some Help With Genres
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 1:35 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
I tried to do this in the past and it was quite difficult. I was always winding up with titles like Karin which is a comedy with vampires, so does that make it a comedic horror title? Um... not really... I always wanted a matrix of thermometers to show the intensity of the title's participation in that genre (Ex: Karin- 100% Comedy, 20% Horror, 50% Parody (of Horror)), but that takes the level of work up an order of magnitude or more.

Anyway, I also resorted to combining genres, so I recommend that, although perhaps I went too far and made two classifications of genres- Traditional (Action, Horror, etc.) and Anime Themes (Giant Robots, Ecchi, etc.).

Also a couple of things to consider:

Ecchi is not always Hentai, so perhaps a Hentai genre? (or did I miss it?)
Ninjas are not Samurai, but together they could be an Eastern genre (in comparison to the traditional Western)?

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Some Help With Genres
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 2:02 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
PunkDaddy wrote:
I tried to do this in the past and it was quite difficult. I was always winding up with titles like Karin which is a comedy with vampires, so does that make it a comedic horror title? Um... not really... I always wanted a matrix of thermometers to show the intensity of the title's participation in that genre (Ex: Karin- 100% Comedy, 20% Horror, 50% Parody (of Horror)), but that takes the level of work up an order of magnitude or more.

Yes, that may be a bit much for what I am going for here :lol:

PunkDaddy wrote:
Anyway, I also resorted to combining genres, so I recommend that, although perhaps I went too far and made two classifications of genres- Traditional (Action, Horror, etc.) and Anime Themes (Giant Robots, Ecchi, etc.).

I'm sort of doing that, but in a non-adult / adult sort of way I suppose.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Ecchi is not always Hentai, so perhaps a Hentai genre? (or did I miss it?)

The hentai reviews will already be classified as such due to their placement into the "hentai reviews" section. Sort of like why I wouldn't tag anime with an anime genre tag, it would already be listed in that area. I suppose if someone were searching for reviews which included both anime and hentai reviews there would need to be a way to signify that difference between them, if they didn't notice from the hentai specific tags. I'll have to think on that one.

I'm not sure if you saw this before (I am sort of guessing you didn't), but here's the area for 18+ tags: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=966

PunkDaddy wrote:
Ninjas are not Samurai, but together they could be an Eastern genre (in comparison to the traditional Western)?

:ninja: Ya, maybe some sort of Eastern Genre, but labeling it as such could leave a number of people wondering what the heck that actually stands for. Might be better just to include Ninja and not try and pare that one down, idk.

Thanks for the help PunkDaddy! Keep it coming!

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Some Help With Genres
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 3:08 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26th, 2008, 12:53 am
Posts: 283
Location: SoCal
Acmurphy wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
I tried to do this in the past and it was quite difficult. I was always winding up with titles like Karin which is a comedy with vampires, so does that make it a comedic horror title? Um... not really... I always wanted a matrix of thermometers to show the intensity of the title's participation in that genre (Ex: Karin- 100% Comedy, 20% Horror, 50% Parody (of Horror)), but that takes the level of work up an order of magnitude or more.

Yes, that may be a bit much for what I am going for here :lol:


A sane response sir! No need to bite off more than can be chewed. 8)

Acmurphy wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Anyway, I also resorted to combining genres, so I recommend that, although perhaps I went too far and made two classifications of genres- Traditional (Action, Horror, etc.) and Anime Themes (Giant Robots, Ecchi, etc.).

I'm sort of doing that, but in a non-adult / adult sort of way I suppose.

PunkDaddy wrote:
Ecchi is not always Hentai, so perhaps a Hentai genre? (or did I miss it?)

The hentai reviews will already be classified as such due to their placement into the "hentai reviews" section. Sort of like why I wouldn't tag anime with an anime genre tag, it would already be listed in that area. I suppose if someone were searching for reviews which included both anime and hentai reviews there would need to be a way to signify that difference between them, if they didn't notice from the hentai specific tags. I'll have to think on that one.

I'm not sure if you saw this before (I am sort of guessing you didn't), but here's the area for 18+ tags: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=966

:doh: Um, yeah, I noticed it 10-20 minutes after posting. Sorry about that. Not to be too literal, but "Ecchi" is the Japanese pronounciation of 'H' which means "Hentai" so there might be a little confusion (although, it *should* be a small %). Perhaps the international experts can chime in on standard usage in their neck of the woods.

Acmurphy wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Ninjas are not Samurai, but together they could be an Eastern genre (in comparison to the traditional Western)?

:ninja: Ya, maybe some sort of Eastern Genre, but labeling it as such could leave a number of people wondering what the heck that actually stands for. Might be better just to include Ninja and not try and pare that one down, idk.
Will you only use words for the genres or might you use graphical icons (such as a katana and a throwing star)?
Also, where would you classify some of the following:

Psychic Powers (Mai the Psychic Girl, etc.)- Super Powers?
Cyborgs (Cyborg 009, Chobits)- Sci-fi?
Giant Robots (Gundam, etc.)- Sci-fi?

With such a breadth of character and feel between shows such as Chobits, Gundam 0083 and Getter Robo, a genre definition, such as sci-fi, begins to lose its meaning. This is why I felt compelled to do different sub-genres for anime. Perhaps if you had icons (with words or just images) that were color coded, you could address the issue in some way.

For example:
Blue Icons = Sci Fi: Giant Robots, Cyborgs, AI (ie: non-humanoid sentient programs central to the plot), Space Armadas (Starship Operators, et al), etc.
Red Icons = Fighting: Martial Arts (Dragon Ball, Hajime No Ippo), War, Ninjas, Samurai, etc.
Pink Icons = Love: Romance, Harem, Hentai?

Acmurphy wrote:
Thanks for the help PunkDaddy! Keep it coming!


Be careful what you wish for! :D
Obviously I put waaaay to much thought into this in the past. Hopefully at least a tiny part of it will prove useful!

_________________
= = = PunkDaddy - Beatin' the Brats for over 10 years! = = =
aiAnimals-Puppy Puzzler

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Some Help With Genres
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 5:43 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
I don't mind having many genre terms. Every half-witted person will realize the prototypical terms that zero_chaos produced by combining the more specified denotations. You could, though, distinguish between general terms and further specifications, like:

"Some Anime Title yet to be thought up"
Comedy (slapstick, parody)
Romance (reverse harem)
Sci-Fi (giant robo, steampunk, space opera)

"Put your Title here"
Action (Martial Arts: Samurai, Cowboy)
Historical (19th century: USA)
Romance (love triangle: m/m/f)

As for an explanation:

First off, I'd advocate using general terms and further defining them in brackets.
Terms that stand on the same level are seperated by commas, like in "giant robo, steampunk, space opera". "Slapstick" and "parody" are equal subtypes of comedy, or "harem" and "love triangle" are subtypes of romance.

I deliberately put "reverse harem" here because I think the searching genre fan might have an interest in whether we are talking about one passive guy and a collection of stereotypical girls, or the newer phenomenon of the "reverse harem", i.e. a female protagonist which is surrounded by bishônen.

"Fighting" can be exchanged by "Martial Arts" I think, which again is a subtype of "Action". Then again, "Martial Arts" has to be furtherly defined, indicated by the colon: There are different fighting styles all over the world, depictable by groups of people connected to a certain style. I have taken my example from "Bushidô Blade 2" in case you are wondering.

"Historical" is far too vague. From our point of view, the Cavemen Olympics is no less "historical" than the Watergate Scandal. Am I wrong? Therefore I thought that adding somewhat of a time period would be appropriate. The connotational meaning of the time period, the pictures it invokes, must be established by further definition, like in this case "USA". You will agree that you have a totally different image in your head if I change the "time: place" definition from "USA" to "Greenland".

Last but not least I chose "love triangle: m/m/f" as a specialization. I think it is self-explanatorial: two guys (male/male), one woman (female).

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group