Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2007, 6:51 am 

Miranda wrote:
I'm not a PC gamer either, so these are my laptop specs:

15.4" screen
Pentium M 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
XP Pro SP2
60 GB hard drive built-in
DVD/CD-RW drive

What's the sense in gaming laptops anyway? They're heavy, burn through batteries like butter, run hot, and have very little expandability.

If I'm going to buy a laptop, it would either be for work or internet access. I would prefer a thin, compact, and light laptop, holdable on one hand, even if the display is smaller than average. It would be a plus if it could transform into a tablet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2007, 2:37 pm 
Newcomer

Dei wrote:
Miranda wrote:
I'm not a PC gamer either, so these are my laptop specs:

15.4" screen
Pentium M 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
XP Pro SP2
60 GB hard drive built-in
DVD/CD-RW drive

What's the sense in gaming laptops anyway? They're heavy, burn through batteries like butter, run hot, and have very little expandability.

If I'm going to buy a laptop, it would either be for work or internet access. I would prefer a thin, compact, and light laptop, holdable on one hand, even if the display is smaller than average. It would be a plus if it could transform into a tablet.

I don't play PC games at all, so my laptop is enough for what I use it for (mostly internet and watching videos). I don't think I'd ever play games on my laptop.

I prefer playing games on consoles or handheld systems. With PC games, you have to keep your specs updated. That was true in the past, especially with technology constantly changing, but maybe today you might be able to get away with having a lower end system... I wouldn't know since I don't play PC games. I'd rather play games on something that's made specifically for whatever console. No need to worry about compatibility issues when buying a 360, PS2/PS3, or Wii game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2007, 8:09 pm 
Regular

Heh, I don't play consoles anymore for the reason that I'm finding it increasingly difficult to justify spending hundreds of dollars for a machine that can only play games. I'd rather spend more on a machine that can play games, do office work, surf the Internet, store my data etc.

Plus, at the rate at which new consoles seem to be released these days, it seems that consoles are catching up to PCs in terms of how often you have to 'upgrade' them. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2007, 3:51 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I have never been impressed with the quality of consoles as compared to my PC. I usually just play RPG's on console systems and save everything else for my comp.

Getting a laptop up to gaming ability is just too expensive. You'll spend a ton of money so that it can play mid resource level games okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2007, 8:29 am 

Zaxares wrote:
Plus, at the rate at which new consoles seem to be released these days, it seems that consoles are catching up to PCs in terms of how often you have to 'upgrade' them. :?

Not true. The PS2 had a long run. While the 360 had a new model into the line-up, its still 360, and not everybody's compelled to upgrade. Consoles are also starting to adapt some previously PC-exclusive abilities: net browsing, IM... Ubuntu was successfully installed into a PS3.

The situation is still: get a console for solid gaming for 6 or so years; get a gaming PC if you want bleeding edge.

Then again, they also have pretty different libraries atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2007, 7:50 am 
Regular

There's another reason why I prefer PCs over consoles. *cough*Emulator software*cough*

Seriously, nothing pisses me off than having to buy a console simply to play one specific game. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2007, 2:37 pm 
Major Contributor

Zaxares wrote:
Seriously, nothing pisses me off than having to buy a console simply to play one specific game. :evil:

Well nowadays third-party console exclusives are becoming less and less common. Even games like Devil May Cry are coming to multiple platforms. The time-based exclusive seems to be the most likely scenario for most third-party games these days, but even those are getting rarer (i.e. Grand Theft Auto IV for instance) Of course first-party games like Halo or Grand Turismo will never come to a different console but at this point, there are enough excellent third-party games that buying a console won't have to come down to just the big first-party titles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2008, 10:39 pm 
Major Contributor

New specs:

Thermaltake Armor Black
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz
ASUS P5K-E WiFi Motherboard
6GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CAS5
640MB eVGA 8800GTS
Creative X-Fi Platinum
2x500GB WD SATAII, 2x320GB Seagate SATAII, 2x250GB WD eSATA, 1x160GB WD USB2
Seasonic M12 700W PSU
Creative Spectre Keyboard + G7 cordless laser mouse
LG L246WP-BN 24" LCD (1920x1200)
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 10:43 am 
Resident Scholar

This does not 100 % belong here... but I don't want to open a new thread for a single, computer-related question that implies no problem. Because, actually, there's good news around here, not individually, but collectively. On April 1st, Trier university will switch to a faster internet connection, going from 1 Gbit/sec to 10 Gbit/sec, comparing it to 5000 times the speed of a normal DSL connection.
How do your universities/colleges stand (or "leech" if you will)?
In terms of internet, e.g. the US is considered "the promised land", but I don't know any statistical data concerning public/teaching institutions' connections of any other country than my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 7:54 pm 
Regular

Actually, I've heard that in terms of Internet quality and coverage, the best nations are usually SE Asian nations like Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 9:05 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Ya, I think the standard connection speeds in the US, via cable modems, DSL, and such as rather lacking as compared to other countries. I don't know why this is, but we haven't adopted the faster technology on an individual basis. Now, in terms of the colleges, such as UF, it has a much faster connection than us regular people, but I have no idea what it actually is at nowadays. All I could find is that the University of Florida had a 622 million bits per second connection as of 1998 that was expected to be 2.4 gigabits per second as of 2000. They are a part of some sort of high speed internet project though, along with a number of other Universities in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 10:14 pm 
Post Master

-Windows XP Home
-Athlon 2.0 GHz dual core processor
-1 GB ram which is NOT ENOUGH
-Geforce 7600 GS
-Dust

My computers a real bitch. Problem after problem, whether it be freezing, crashing, dual core support problems, overheating, and just about every other problem you can think of. My computer has done all of them multiple times. I stopped trying to fix this piece of shits remaining problems long ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 3:06 pm 
Resident Scholar

Zaxares wrote:
the best nations are usually SE Asian nations like Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.

Forget Japan. Yes, they do have some of the greatest public internet services on the planet, but those are usually restricted to Tokyo and Osaka, furthermore Kobe, Kyoto, as the major cities, you know, where international prestige needs to be won. The Japanese countryside is much of a big white spot on internet maps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 6:48 am 
Lurker

Uh let's see:

Antec Sonata III Case
500w 80 plus PSU
ECS P965T-A Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86GHZ
Coolermaster Heatsink (Model 752)
A DVD-RW drive
Hitachi Detstar 500GB Hard Drive
Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive
Seagate Baracuda 750GB Hard drive
nVIDIA GeForce 8600GTS
4GB RAM (I forget the brand)
2 120mm fans
A firewire port (3 slots)
Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard

Running on Windows XP SP2.

I think that's about it. I've just realized that I'm very vague with my descriptions :|

EDIT: Oh wow talk about reviving dead topics :x I seem to be doing that all over the place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 7:33 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
This does not 100 % belong here... but I don't want to open a new thread for a single, computer-related question that implies no problem. Because, actually, there's good news around here, not individually, but collectively. On April 1st, Trier university will switch to a faster internet connection, going from 1 Gbit/sec to 10 Gbit/sec, comparing it to 5000 times the speed of a normal DSL connection.
How do your universities/colleges stand (or "leech" if you will)?
In terms of internet, e.g. the US is considered "the promised land", but I don't know any statistical data concerning public/teaching institutions' connections of any other country than my own.

At Texas, the T3 connection here decent. The last time I did a speedtest I was getting around 15Mbit/s. But that was from an individual computer so I don't know what the total capacity of the whole university's FIOS lines are.

As for individual connections, even a 1 Gbit/s connection is pointless at this point since that exceeds the write speed capacities of most hard drives. For instance, a typical SATA2 hard drive only has average transfer speeds about 50 to 75 MB/s. The theoretical limit to a SATA2-300 drive's transfer speed is only 300 MB/s. Considering 10Gbit/s = 1.25 GB/s, thats over four times greater than even the theoretical limit for a SATA2 hard drive's transfer speeds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next