Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skip Beat!
PostPosted: November 15th, 2008, 8:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

This Anime needs a thread. I'm so happy with it I can't wait until it's finished to write a comprehensive comment, so I'll add stuff along the way (inviting anyone else who's watching and interested in sharing thoughts).

This introduction is what I already wrote in the "Anime News" thread:

Mogami Kyôko loves Fuwa Shô. Problem: He is the heir of a wealthy Kyôto family that's in the Ryôkan/wellness business - and her family works for his family. Well, Shô is the "prince" of the company and supposed to inherit and lead the joint, but he'd rather be a rockstar. After a fight with his father about family obligation and stuff he asks Kyôko, who happens to be his classmate, to run away with him to Tokyo, right after finishing Junior High. She is happy to be chosen by him and they go to Tokyo, were they hardly make ends meet, but they survive thanks to Kyôko's efforts to earn money.
The story sets in just when Shô has finally set foot in the showbiz, and he has already entered the top 10 of the most popular male stars (he's 7th). In this situation, Kyôko overhears a conversation between Shô and his Manager, Ms. Aki, during which he states that he loved Aki, whereas "that terribly plain" Kyôko was just a convenient housekeeper.

Kyôko, of course, is deeply hurt, but instead of breaking down and crying, she virtually declares war and vows to humiliate him by surpassing him in popularity. He laughs at her, stressing how boring and untalented she was. But in the following days, Kyôko changes her outer appearance completely (you might almost say it's like a permanent transformation of a magical girl) and proves her stamina and grit by beleagering the house of the manager of the talent section of LME (Love Me Enterprises?), an entertainment company competing with the company that Shô works for, and eventually entering a talent audition, where, at the end of episode 02, she was last seen with a big kitchen knife and a daikon (large Japanese radish)...

The chibi scenes, all these SD faces, and her changes between despair and wrath, the overall humor, are simply divine and hilarious.
As for you, I have not yet found a version that has subs...

And it goes on with good designs and funny chibis. It's fun creating all these screenshots.
With perseverence and through some misadventures she makes it into the talent agency LME, but not as an artist in training. Since, due to her experiences, she is unable to feel love the director decides she'll be the first employee in the newly established "Love Me Section", a kind of intern for all kinds of jobs, like cleaning and taking care of the company's VIPs, to, uh... well, I haven't really understood how serving people would make you love someone. And she has to wear a pink overall.
For every job she'd receive credit points, 10 ("You need to work harder") for an acceptable performance, 100 ("Fully satisfying, very well done") if she does well, and upon reaching a certain amount she'd be accepted as a talent trainee. But if her customer is unhappy with her service, she'll receive negative credits ("No good!") as well.

This is my best and favorite patchwork from the screenshots of episode 5:

Clean Operation

Post subject: Re: Skip Beat!
PostPosted: May 24th, 2009, 9:08 am 
Resident Scholar

I've watched Skip Beat! up to episode 20 so far and I'm very impressed... and, being a very rare occasion, I must say I must have the Manga also. This hasn't happened for years. Manga and Anime are definite parts of my personal wish-list.
But I believe the final chapter of the original Manga isn't due for at least another year... I'm having trouble finding exact data.

There are several scenes that I especially liked... like
  • Kyôko altering the atmosphere and course of a dialogue completely by changing a few lines and still reaching the desired outcome - by expecting how her partner would react.
  • Kyôko coming up with a new plot at a rehearsal within seconds which turned out brilliant - again by expecting the reaction of her partner.
  • Kyôko saving her job in a music video - which at the same time gave some humanity back to Shô, her adversary.

Now I'm a bit anxious about how the Anime will end... if an Anime is completed before the Manga is the result is often enough dissatisfying.