Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anime of the Month
PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 12:54 am 
Regular

I watched the first three and I think it's okay. I like the ending and opening themes and I think the art is nice and very relaxing. The voice cast is also nice.

The plot raises some questions though. If the male lead's father is so famous and he lives so close to town, why was it not common knowledge that he had a son or a stepdaughter (the only person who seemed to know was his maid)?

Also, I don't know anything about how things work in militias but isn't it kind of strange that the male lead was put in charge based on his name alone? In fact, why did the female lead get a rank, shouldn't both of them have started as fresh recruits? Also, didn't one character say that he couldn't believe that the male lead had failed at avoiding conscription...I didn't know that militia's drafted, I thought it was more of a volunteer affair. Then again, I don't know much about all that so I might be horribly mistaken.

The tank...actually, I can understand it being blue at first, as its a prototype, so it could have been painted whatever color the general wanted as it wasn't meant to be used. Also, it did fit in during the fog battle but keeping it that color is pointless for open conflicts. I was also confused at first during the second episode as the turret couldn't move on its own but episode three cleared that up.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject: Re: Anime of the Month
PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 7:28 am 
Resident Scholar

Cab329 wrote:
If the male lead's father is so famous and he lives so close to town, why was it not common knowledge that he had a son or a stepdaughter (...)?

That would be some hole indeed and right now I cannot remember any quotes to clarify. I'm also not sure whether nobody knew there was a son at all or whether nobody would believe that it is Mr. Fishpainter. I do think, however, that he did not want his stepdaughter to stand in public spotlight.

Cab329 wrote:
I don't know anything about how things work in militias but isn't it kind of strange that the male lead was put in charge based on his name alone?

Maybe you missed something. In the beginning, during the briefing, it is clearly said that he took part in military training during college times and that he passed the officer exam.

Cab329 wrote:
why did the female lead get a rank, shouldn't both of them have started as fresh recruits?

She was already in the militia for a while I guess. Apart from that her involvement in the battle of Brühl seems to be considered extraordinary. I dunno what extraordinary things she did except not dying, but it might also have gotten her a promotion.

Cab329 wrote:
he couldn't believe that the male lead had failed at avoiding conscription...I didn't know that militia's drafted, I thought it was more of a volunteer affair.

Don't compare real world militias to this fantasy world militia too much.
I think the game tells the player that everyone above the age of 15 is obliged to serve.

Cab329 wrote:
I was also confused at first during the second episode as the turret couldn't move on its own but episode three cleared that up.

An assault gun would have been cool, though. :D

Post subject: Re: Valkyria Chronicles
PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 5:50 pm 
Resident Scholar

Finally saw the fourth episode. It was fun alright.
Funny because it looks like full-blown generals command really small units.
Funny because there are no higher commanders who could decide to deploy the reserves.
Funny because Welkin keeps running his unit by friendly consent.
Funny because of this photoshopped image:
Attachment:
Kana Valkyria.jpg
Kana Valkyria.jpg [ 61.98 KiB | Viewed 1694 times ]

PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 9:43 pm 
Major Contributor

I like the series so far, it's a good mixture of action, comedy and fan service. It's also very clear though that it's based on a video game, even without knowing about the game or the Playstation logos that show up during the credits (or more accurately based on a manga that's based on the game). I haven't played the game or read the manga so I have no idea about the backstory, but hopefully it turns out to be as interesting as the show is alluding so far.

Oh, and yes, Faldio is awesome . . . :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 24th, 2009, 10:52 am 
Resident Scholar

I would like to add the case of Selvaria to my comments.
Putting her in that particular circle of men suggests that she is a high ranking officer of the Imperial Army. A position that brings certain notions of competence, dignity, and respect. But instead the authors decided to degrade her to a physical object. Her female features couldn't have been stressed any more with these shots of her hips and breasts.
On the other hand this might happen on purpose, to show that something is morally wrong with the Empire, represented by its generals.

What we are shown are total opposites:
General Gregor who prohibits the recovery of the wounded in order to maintain full momentum in pursuing the enemy. In reality this does have its justifications, but in this fictional case I can't help but think that there are no medics to do such a job, nor are there reserve, second line, troops (which every solid operation has for emergencies, even if it's just one platon of the company).

On the other hand there is Welkin, who keeps repeating that life is the most important factor and that his men and women should try their best to stay alive. That, too, has justifications, but it's also a bit far from reality. A commander is responsible for the best possible well-being of his/her troops, but achieving goals is paramount and takes a good deal of cold-bloodedness and casualty willingness.

The commanders presented are extreme opposites and it is pretty clear from a literary point of view, which side must eventually lose due to its moral failings.

While hanging up my laundry (or is it "pegging out my washing"? I dunno, please tell me) I watched ep. 05.
Nice in terms of character depiction, but a military disaster.

There's this important outpost, important as a support base for the entire Imperial central front. After the Gallian Army has failed to retake it it's again up to the National Guard, duh, I mean the Militia. Counting on surprise Welkin decides to attract and bind enemy forces with the superior Edelweiss tank and a squad of soldiers, while the larger group sneaks around and attacks from the flank.

• How important can this outpost be if its abandoned after an attack by a force that does not even have company size? It's not really well defended... please correct me if I got something wrong aboput the importance of the post.
    I feel a bit like in "Mulan": They speak about armies but all you see is a handful of people. I can't imagine that this war is entirely fought by company-sized units!
  • We are talking about the technical standards of early WWII, and it is quite realistic that mobile armored forces encounter superior tank models, like it happened in France and in the USSR.
    And what does a competent commander do if his guns can't pierce the armor of the enemy?
    He calls in the air force! A 500 lb bomb does the job!
    Kaboom! Edelweiss destroyed, Welkin forced to walk! :roll:

Pity, there seems to be no air force in Valkyria... or it hasn't shown up yet, for some reason incomprehensible to me, since an air force is the key to every blitz operation.
So far it looks more like they're fighting WWII with the technical equipment of WWI. Which is a bit disappointing.

And, ooh, something's rustling in the underbrushes... did anyone not know that the mascot was about to appear?
And it's even a pig that flies!
Well, maybe, it has wings... :shifty:
But the bomb-dive onto the pig was kinda funny I admit... :D

Another funny thing: Alicia, nervous to the bone, suddenly aspires to the title of "Platoon Rambo". I thought that was a bit sudden... storming into the enemy camp without any order of advance and mutual cover, standing in the open, shooting at a superior number of enemies, thus drawing attention and lead to her... :doh: her drill sergeant must have been an idiot.

No, I actually suspect there are no drill sergeants in Gallia and military and Militia are just handed guns, "point at enemy, pull trigger".

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 7:21 pm 
Resident Scholar

It gets better and better.
The Emperor visits this... temple of sorts in order to study the inscriptions, and he is only accompanied by Selvaria.

:wtf:

I mean, are they kidding me? Whoever wrote this chapter must be stupid or think, the audience was stupid. It is highly unlikely that an Emperor, in times of war, goes anywhere without at least a company of bodyguards. However competent Selvaria might be, being surprised by only a handful of armed hostiles might be the end of it all.

Compare: When Hitler was moving around in Germany after 1933 he had a 250 strong SS unit around him... when he visited front HQs after 1939 he got an additional Wehrmacht batallion, so we're talking about 750 men securing the perimeter.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 9:34 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
It gets better and better.
The Emperor visits this... temple of sorts in order to study the inscriptions, and he is only accompanied by Selvaria. :wtf: I mean, are they kidding me? Whoever wrote this chapter must be stupid or think, the audience was stupid. It is highly unlikely that an Emperor, in times of war, goes anywhere without at least a company of bodyguards. However competent Selvaria might be, being surprised by only a handful of armed hostiles might be the end of it all.

Not that I'm disagreeing with the logic of it, but Selvaria is much more than anything you could think of under the terms of realism (or as real as the series has been thus far). I'm guessing you just watched episode 7, so you haven't gotten a taste of it yet. When I stopped playing the game it was shortly after she really started to have a more active role. Let's just say, she's a beast. I think I mentioned magical elements come into play way back at the start of the thread somewhere, she's pretty much what I was talking about.

I don't particularly like how they presented Selvaria as some sort of bouncy, large breasted woman in tight clothes :d-_-b:, as you mentioned before. Really sort of degraded her character, who's quite an intricate piece of the larger puzzle or so it seemed.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2009, 2:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

Saw ep. 08 just now.
So, Selvaria is capable of some feats... interesting.
But it would also be interesting to hear why she didn't cut our three militia heroes to pieces.

I'm not sure yet whether I approve of the translation of "Aoki Majô" as "Azure Witch".
First off, "Witch" is a very negatively connotated term. I think that translating "Majô" as "Sorceress" would have left more connotational breathing space, so to speak.
And eventually, "Aoki" is not "azure" (= sky-blue) but a sort of turquoise blue-green mix, tending towards the blue.

Not much to say about this episode... I just hope that the Imperial Army will go on shooting Gallian Army hypocrites. 8)

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2009, 5:11 pm 

Saw ep 3-7...I'm beginning to like it now (7 eps later)...but it's because I have become accustomed to the characters stupidity by now... :sweat: The reporter episode helped a lot with this...haha...I got used to Alice thanks to this ep...she has been a sore eye for me upto than...

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 4:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

I finished watching the rest of Valkyria today.
I'm content. It has a few good episodes, some humor, good drama, interesting characters, and main characters who even die. I won't count the loads of unmilitary nonsense as good or bad, but I'll present this series as an example of an author who chose a war scenario with soldiers as his point of focus without knowing squat about how a military works. Except that there are guns and uniforms involved.