Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Xenosaga Episode 1 disc reading trouble.
PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 4:45 pm 
Newcomer

Yea so i decided to pick up Xenosaga Episode 1 a few months and I played through it to near end game. So I tried my other games to make sure they were read and they were so I thought it was the disc since it was used. So I bought another used one(I can only find used copies, since Circuit city closed down There's not many game places around were I am.) This one doesn't work either so is it another faulty disc or is my PS2? I've had my current PS2 since a year after launch and the only problem it's had is that in the past 2 or 3 years it started taking about 30 secs to a minute and a half to load discs.

Post subject: Re: Xenosaga Episode 1 disc reading trouble.
PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 12:28 pm 

My experience with disc reading trouble might not necessarily apply to your situation.

I have a NTSC-J PS2, and had it modded to play games from other regions. Xenosaga was a snag, since it was on the double layer DVD9 as opposed to regular DVDs, hence my mod chip wasn't equipped to deal with it. Hence I got my mod chip updated and it worked fine henceforth.

Could be that your PS2 has aged and just isn't dealing with DVD9s properly anymore.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 2:14 pm 

I have an older PS2, got mine the month it launched and had no problems with it till the beginning of this year. Some games would play fine with no problems. However, some games would freeze up during some loading screens or just in the middle of gameplay. After freezing the PS2 would make a clicking sound.

I did a little research and found tons of resources. Youtube has lots of videos on how to open your PS2 and clean the inside.(dust, lens, moving parts) I cleaned mine out, not as well as I should, with no luck in getting the game to work properly. But I was just fooling around, most likely I was bored that day :whistle: .

If I was you, I would read around the net to see if anyone has had your exact problem with that game. Chances are that someone has and they posted a Youtube video fixing the problem.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 2:56 pm 
Newcomer

I tried looking o youtube and no luck all I got was scenes from the different games. IS there any other games that are dual layered?

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 3:01 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... VD-9_games

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 6:22 pm 
Newcomer

zero_chaos wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_DVD-9_games

Well I looked at that list and except for Xenosaga episode 1 I haven't played any of the other ones in recent months. Something had to have happened with in the last 6 or 7 months since I -played Xenosaga in October just fine.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 6:09 am 
Major Contributor

A good way to test to see if it's an issue with the disc or with the emulator is to pop the disc into your computer and then try to rip the disc with some sort of DVD ripping program. If it's able to extract all the data from the disc properly without any read issues, then the disc is probably fine. Another method would be to see if you can play the game using PCSX2 (a greater PS2 emulator for the PC). Even though I still own a PS2, I generally play PS2 games on my PC these days.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2009, 1:30 pm 
Newcomer

I was just playing Persona 3 FES and the game started freezing sometimes when a spell was cast it would freeze, but the battle music would still be playing. I shut my PS2 off as soon I got back to the save point. So I'm thinking that my PS2 is about to go would that be the right thing to think? Also if it is, I'm thinking of getting a PS3 I heard that the MGS4 Bundle PS3 is backwards compatible is that true?

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 1:56 am 
Major Contributor

Bret wrote:
I was just playing Persona 3 FES and the game started freezing sometimes when a spell was cast it would freeze, but the battle music would still be playing. I shut my PS2 off as soon I got back to the save point. So I'm thinking that my PS2 is about to go would that be the right thing to think? Also if it is, I'm thinking of getting a PS3 I heard that the MGS4 Bundle PS3 is backwards compatible is that true?

Depends on the bundle version but all current 80 GB ($399 version) and 160GB consoles ($499 version) do not since they are basically the 40GB versions but with a larger HDD. From the PS3s I saw at Fry's, all of them said on the back that it will play PS1 but not PS2 games. It's unfortunate but as part of the price cut, backwards compatibility was also cut.

I found this 80GB PS3 on Amazon, which seems to be backwards compatible with PS2 games. But it's $499, and considering that new PS2s are only $99, there's no point in getting an 80 GB PS3 for $499 just to get software backwards compatibility.

If you REALLY want a PS3 that will be do backwards compatibility, your best bet would be to try and find a 60GB one on Ebay, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 4:31 am 

If you have a decent enough PC, emulation could always be a solution. Just as when PS1 emulation was just about great and up and running when everybody had PS2s to fling about... now with PS3s about the place, PS2 emulation should be somewhat decent. But I haven't tried PS2 emulation, so I don't know how good it is at the moment.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 4:50 am 
Newcomer

spazmaster666 wrote:
Bret wrote:

Depends on the bundle version but all current 80 GB ($399 version) and 160GB consoles ($499 version) do not since they are basically the 40GB versions but with a larger HDD. From the PS3s I saw at Fry's, all of them said on the back that it will play PS1 but not PS2 games. It's unfortunate but as part of the price cut, backwards compatibility was also cut.

I found this 80GB PS3 on Amazon, which seems to be backwards compatible with PS2 games. But it's $499, and considering that new PS2s are only $99, there's no point in getting an 80 GB PS3 for $499 just to get software backwards compatibility.

If you REALLY want a PS3 that will be do backwards compatibility, your best bet would be to try and find a 60GB one on Ebay, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

I've actually found a used 60GB version used from Gamestop. Since I'm graduating from High school I can use my Graduation money to buy it plus the money I earned at my job.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 8:22 am 
Major Contributor

Bret wrote:
I've actually found a used 60GB version used from Gamestop. Since I'm graduating from High school I can use my Graduation money to buy it plus the money I earned at my job.

I would be a little wary of getting a used PS3 from Gamestop since the earlier 60GB models are known for possible Bluray drive failure issues not to mention that a refurbished unit from Gamestop will not have the original manufacture warranty (though it still carries the same refund policy). But hey, if you're willing to take that risk then it's certainly could be a better option than eBay.

Bret wrote:
If you have a decent enough PC, emulation could always be a solution. Just as when PS1 emulation was just about great and up and running when everybody had PS2s to fling about... now with PS3s about the place, PS2 emulation should be somewhat decent. But I haven't tried PS2 emulation, so I don't know how good it is at the moment.

I've been using PCSX2 for a while now and it works very well for me for the most part. It's compatible with over 1000 titles, which is steadily growing since it's an open-source platform, which is the big advantage it has over, for instance, the software based emulation used for the older 80 GB PS3s. Not to mention that if you use a PC emulator, you can run the games are higher resolutions and using anti-aliasing to improve the overall quality of the graphics plus you always have the option of ripping the game disc to the hard drive which will greatly improve load times and such (going back and playing the same games on my PS2, the difference is pretty significant) not to mention I can now use my 360 controller (or any other PC-compatible gamepad or even mouse and keyboard) instead of a PS2 controller. With quad-core processors starting to become the norm these days, it's not really atypical to have a computer powerful enough to run PS2 games at good frame rates.

As an example, I recently purchased SMT: Devil Summoner 2 and I found to my surprise that it works perfectly with PCSX2 despite it being a relatively new title (released here in the US on May 12th).