Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dragonball Kai
PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 8:21 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Bret wrote:
Well women voice male characters a lot. Kid Gohan in the English dub was voiced by a woman. Ed Elric, Early naruto Uzumaki(first series not sure about shippudan).

That's certainly true, but it's usually because women can voice characters better than an actual child could, given their experience in voice acting (and a host of other reasons; like working with people you already know can deliver, name recognition, they can do that and other parts as well, etc.) A woman can pull it off because little boys typically do not have very deep voices (ya know, puberty and all) and thus they do not end up sounding markedly different. That doesn't hold true when they have them voice grown men though.

Bret wrote:
There millions of other male characters that are voiced by female characters.

I don't see how this gives any credence to voicing Goku with a woman. Sure it was nice that they could carry over his voice actor from Dragonball, but it is not preferable when he goes from being a little kid to a grown man with a wife and kid of his own.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 8:31 pm 
Post Master

Bret wrote:
Kid Gohan in the English dub was voiced by a woman. Ed Elric, Early naruto Uzumaki(first series not sure about shippudan oh and believe it! thats for you Gojira).

The difference is that Dragonball Kai's dub is abysmal, those others are not.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 2:42 pm 
Newcomer

Wasn't Goku voiced by a woman in the original Japanese dub? I watched the Janemba movie and his voice sounded like it was voiced by a girls or maybe I'm just so used to the english dub voice.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 3:06 pm 
Resident Admin

Bret wrote:
Wasn't Goku voiced by a woman in the original Japanese dub? I watched the Janemba movie and his voice sounded like it was voiced by a girls or maybe I'm just so used to the english dub voice.

Correct, that's what we've been talking about since it's Dragonball Kai, the new Japanese version of DBZ that's cutting out about 150+ episodes from the original Dragonballz,has no English dub.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 7:04 pm 
Newcomer

Acmurphy wrote:
Bret wrote:

Correct, that's what we've been talking about since it's Dragonball Kai, the new Japanese version of DBZ that's cutting out about 150+ episodes from the original Dragonballz,has no English dub.

I thought all Dragonball Kai was was the original series just prettyed up and some serious cuts. I didn't realize they did a whole new cast until I read this topic.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 7:24 pm 
Resident Admin

Bret wrote:
I thought all Dragonball Kai was was the original series just prettyed up and some serious cuts. I didn't realize they did a whole new cast until I read this topic.

It's mostly the same cast that has come back to do a new "redubbing" of the shortened series. I'm not exactly sure which characters didn't end up making it back though.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 12:55 am 
Newcomer

Acmurphy wrote:
Bret wrote:

It's mostly the same cast that has come back to do a new "redubbing" of the shortened series. I'm not exactly sure which characters didn't end up making it back though.

I personally think they should've stopped at the box set DVDs that just came out I'm not sure if all of them are out already or not. I mean that recent you gotta leave it go right now. I'm a DBZ fan, but they need to give DBZ a break why no love for the original Dragonball. I still think DBZ should've centered around Gohan like how Dragonball centered around Goku.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 8:37 am 
Resident Admin

Bret wrote:
I personally think they should've stopped at the box set DVDs that just came out I'm not sure if all of them are out already or not. I mean that recent you gotta leave it go right now.

If you're referring to the DBZ box sets being released by Funimation, it's an entire different thing since they're being released into the US market and Kai is being shown in the Japanese market. It only links up if they bring Kai over to the states rather quickly, otherwise there may end up being sufficient lag time in-between their releases.

Bret wrote:
I'm a DBZ fan, but they need to give DBZ a break why no love for the original Dragonball. I still think DBZ should've centered around Gohan like how Dragonball centered around Goku.

There would probably be more love for DB if it were as popular as DBZ. As for the centering on Gohan, I always thought DBZ did a pretty good job of varying up who was in focus for long spans of time.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 4:24 pm 

Just finished episode 5. I really love all the cuts they are doing. I remember even as a kid feeling as if there was only about 5 minutes worth of material in the 20 minute episodes.

I am getting adjusted to the Japanese voice actors. Still upset but I will move on.

I have heard from several places(but none official) that the series will be around 100 episodes instead of the original 276. I hope this is not true because that seems like way too much condensing. The Saiyan Saga was 28 episodes, from looking at the episode details, I think they could easily cut that down to 20 episodes. I guess I am off to find out more information.

I feel like such a spammer today.....
:sweat:

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2009, 2:15 am 

I guess I will provide an update to the Kai series for anyone wondering how the episode cutting was doing.

At the end of the 7th episode: Goku has hit Gregory, Gohan has nearly finished his training, Krillin and the others have finished training at Korin's tower. The English dub has all of these events finished by episode 14. That means they have so far cut the series in half! The english dub had 28 episodes for the Saiyan Saga, I am now thinking this Saga will wrap up in under 18 episode very easily.

On another note, the Japanese voice acting has grown on me. I can now watch the episodes without thinking about it. The enhanced animation is also either getting better or it may just be my imagination.