Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EBgames/Gamestop
PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 8:53 am 
Post Master

EBgames, the only competition for Gamestop. Wait, they are the same company? Yes. Gamestop is running a game monopoly, and they are possibly the worst company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with (rivaling rightstuf). Superstores like Best Buy and London Drugs either have a very small used game selection or have none at all. They are usually an afterthought because games are not their primary product.

Just a FEW things. Few, as in every aspect.

Terrible quality: Scratched up disks, mangled cases, those FUCKING STICKERS. They really don't give a damn about quality. The best part is that they consider that "new" sometimes. Half of the time I bring up a "new" game to the counter, they don't have a sealed copy. If it isn't sealed, IT ISN'T NEW.

Terrible selection: Why is it such a pain in the ass to find a good PS2 or Xbox game? They have so much garbage taking up the shelves that it takes an hour to scroll through them. After all that work, I don't find anything worth jack shit. The high number of $3 sports games are especially annoying. Even current-gen games seem hard to find sometimes. In all my wasted time at EB, I have never seen Burnout Revenge on 360, for example.

Terrible stores: Where's the breathing room? These garbage mall stores piss me off. Constantly brushing up against other people in a hot and sweaty environment just plain sucks. This also limits how much can be put on the shelves, which is just another reason they should get rid of the old garbage sports games.

Terrible pricing: A used copy of Fire Emblem Gamecube, a used copy of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, $50 each? The "New Play Control" of DK is only $30. Also, which do you prefer, The Witcher, or The Witcher Enhanced Edition, because they are both $50.

Used games: We all know it, we all love it. Why the hell would anyone buy a used copy of a new game for $55 when you could buy a new copy for $60. That makes no sense. Gamestop is just stealing potential benefit for the developers. Nothing else needs to be said about Gamestop's used game system because we all know it sucks.

Gamestop is the company equivalent of McDonald's as a job experience. It's fucking lousy. If at all possible, you shouldn't support it. Luckily I have recently found a local game shop which doesn't suck.

Post subject: Re: EBgames/Gamestop
PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 2:02 pm 
Lurker

I really don't like Gamestop, either. I thought they were okay at first but when it came to customer service that just took it for me.

A year ago I reserved Devil May Cry 4 fofor the PS3 like 2-3 months in advance. When the game came out I went to Gamestop to go pick up my copy. When I got there and showed them my reserve receipt it came that I reserved it for the 360. I had to argue with the two cashiers that I specifically reserved it for the PS3. They didn't actually believe me, but I was fortunate that day since they had ONE copy of the game for the PS3. That copy went to me.

Nowadays, I don't shop at Gamestop. I usually just buy them from larger retail stores when they're available. If not, there's always online stores.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 3:46 pm 

Hmm I've never had any issues with the Gamestop near me and I prefer going there. I actually go there so often I'm pretty much good friends with the managers and employees working there, they let me use their Edge card often (which is why I don't need to get my own). My only issue with my Gamestop is they seem to only hire guys, even though I know girls apply to work there. I really only use Gamestop though to buy used games, I only reserve games once in a blue moon.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 11:20 pm 

I have no issues either...just the other day I brought them back a pedal I bought that wasn't compatible and they let me get something else for the same price..which I took 2 games...besides the fact...this one has girls hired :d^_^b:

I also have the edge card for buying used games cheaper..ha...if I would have an issue it would be;
Why the hell are the Mario Party and old RE games for the GC till 44 bucks?!?!

Besides that its all good :booyah:

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 1:18 am 

The main business that EBgames/Gamestop receives is the young gamers. I am talking about the ones under 18. This is because these young kids and their parents do not understand how bad they are being ripped off.

I have never had trouble with the actual service of any Gamestop or related companies. Any time I purchased a game that did not work I got great service. I once received a replacement copy that was in perfect unscratched condition. Several times when purchasing an game I asked could I get a copy with the booklet and disc that was not extremely damaged. And several times I have gotten a "sure", with the employee looking through the discs and giving me a better disc and booklet. So I will say the employees I have talked with were great people.

I have traded in a couple of games when I was under the age of 16 just because it was really easy and I did not want to bother with eBay or anything else. Once I traded in a rare game and received around $30 store credit. They in-turn put the game on the shelf for $80. It was then I saw the error of my ways and never returned.

The store sizes suck. The only reason for a big monopoly to do this is to save even more money. Renting a small hole in the wall store is cheaper than buying or renting a place bigger than a college dorm room.

Btw, How many stores do they own? I mean there are at least five in my medium sized town, and two of them are in the same mall...different names of course.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 11:21 am 

zero_chaos wrote:
I have never had trouble with the actual service of any Gamestop or related companies. Any time I purchased a game that did not work I got great service. I once received a replacement copy that was in perfect unscratched condition. Several times when purchasing an game I asked could I get a copy with the booklet and disc that was not extremely damaged. And several times I have gotten a "sure", with the employee looking through the discs and giving me a better disc and booklet. So I will say the employees I have talked with were great people.

Before buying any used game from Gamestop I always asked the employee if I could see the back of the disk and they never have a problem with it. I know that sometimes a game could have issues with it other then scratches on the disk, but this helps minimize any problems.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2009, 9:51 pm 
Major Contributor

I don't use Gamestop much since there is a Fry's, Best Buy, and Walmart pretty close to where I live (all of which generally have new games in stock consistently). But the few times that I have bought games there, I've never really had any trouble. The only time worthy of mention was earlier today when I went to GS to pick up a copy of Devil Summoner 2 & Prince of Persia. When I asked for PoP, the clerk questioned my decision to get a "new" copy of the game, saying "Hey, the used one is cheaper dude." Really? By what, like $5? Of course, it's clear that Gamestop makes more money off of used games than new games (since they buy used games for cheap and sell them for close to the price of new copies) but c'mon Game Stop, don't be giving me shit about not buying used games if you have new copies available. :roll:

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2009, 12:03 am 

spazmaster666 wrote:
When I asked for PoP, the clerk questioned my decision to get a "new" copy of the game, saying "Hey, the used one is cheaper dude." Really? By what, like $5?

Exactly, I would make rather pay $5 more to get a copy where the disc is perfect, the case is unbroken, and the manual comes with it. :roll:

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2009, 9:45 pm 
Major Contributor

spazmaster666 wrote:
I don't use Gamestop much since there is a Fry's, Best Buy, and Walmart pretty close to where I live (all of which generally have new games in stock consistently).

I wish there was a Fry's that was closer to where I am than the one out past Arizona Mills Mall...too far away to be worth bothering with.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2009, 1:32 pm 
Newcomer

Well to be fair sometimes the used one is alot cheaper than a new copy. But if it's only a $5 difference I would go with a new copy.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2009, 8:41 pm 
Major Contributor

Bret wrote:
Well to be fair sometimes the used one is alot cheaper than a new copy. But if it's only a $5 difference I would go with a new copy.

It matters how fraked the used copy is, but I'd probably still go MISB too if I bought games more often.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 1:22 am 
Major Contributor

Well there's another reason why I generally don't buy used games over new ones beside the price issue. It's the fact that buying used games gives no money back to the actual gaming industry, only money back to Gamestop as they buy back games for cheap, almost rip-off prices, and then sell them back for close to the price of new copies. I mean I understand that for kids that probably don't have any sort of steady income, the used games market has their purpose, but if I'm going to spend money to buy a game, I'd rather that some of that money goes back to the people that spent time to make the game rather than just to increase Gamestop's own coffers.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2009, 3:29 am 
Post Master

Mmsven wrote:
Gamestop is just stealing potential benefit for the developers.

The used game market only serves its purpose when said games are no longer in print.