Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 4:51 am 
Regular

Wasn't this covered in one of the early pages of this thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2008, 7:53 am 
Resident Scholar

I don't believe in any god, but I don't think I have any philosophical reasons for it.
I have come to the opinion that human consciousness is a mere illusion created by our brain's synapses, brought forth by evolution in order to enhance the survivability of the organism. A goal greatly achieved.
Therefore, any abstract concepts we have constructed are also void. They are part of that survivability concept, and it cannot be denied that individuals gain inner strength from believing in deities, and that philosophy as well as religion are responsible for progress in human history (although I believe that the disadvantages of religion do prevail, due to bigottery and greed).
Consequently, I do not believe in an afterlife. After our physical functions cease to work, our consciousness, our self, will perish in oblivion and nothingness. No soul, no Karma, no life force.
Buddhists should rejoice - instant Nirvana for them, without a cosmic cycle of rebirths.

Fun fact: How long is such a cycle in Buddhist expectation?
Imagine a big, rocky mountain.
"If, every 100 years, a man comes by and rubs the rocks with a silk tissue, the mountain will perish before the cycle is over."
Talk about thinking long-term!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2008, 5:28 pm 

I believe in god. I also believe in the more astral things. Such as spirits, ghost, demons that kind of thing. I base this on no real provable facts of science or philosophy. It's just something I feel.

Now do I believe reality is real, nope, it's all in my head. I am the last surviving member of he human race in staisis floating on the bottom of the ocean, this is all a video game. (Joking)

Though i have to agree that in history on a large scale, religion and the belief in god or 'gods' has probably caused more harm then good. How many times have people killed each other over differences in religious faith, I lofe count after a few hundred, and that was only the most recent part half of human history. Which is quiet sad if you think about. A being that in most religions is benevolent and mostly pacifistic is the cause for most of the wars in human history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 4:23 pm 
Major Contributor

Okay, I guess I wasn't being clear enough with my previous most. I'm not so much interested in simply whether you believe in God or not, since that's a pretty short answer, but more along the lines of what type of God you believe in (or don't believe in.)

I ask this because a lot of times when I ask someone do they believe in God and they no, I precede to ask them which God do they not believe in and it usually turns out to be a stock answer that actually has little to do with any of the mainstream religions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 6:17 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
Though i have to agree that in history on a large scale, religion and the belief in god or 'gods' has probably caused more harm then good.

I'm a die-hard critic of institutionalized religion, so I tend to believe that as well, but on the other hand it's very much easier to estimate and point at the number of people who have died in religiously motivated conflicts than to take a wild guess at how many people have lived on either because (organized) religion stabilized the societies they lived in or because faith gave them hope.
Therefore I believe that (institutionalized) religion has done more harm than good but I would not consider it a hard fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 4:33 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
It's tough to measure the amount of help institutionalized religion has had on the world, as no one is recording the day to day help the churches give to individual people. However, I think the thousands of people churches around the world help each day, whether it be from providing shelter, food, support through donations to charities, religious strength in and of itself to people, etc., far outweighs the harm they have done over the millenniums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2008, 11:55 pm 

I'm not saying that institutionalized religion is always a bad thing. The have no doubt in day to day life much more factor for good then bad. But most war or over tragedies have a sad tendancy of tracing back to religion. Is the world better off with (insti . . . . or forget it COPY!) institutionalized religion that's been debated since people could debate it. Meaning when they did have to worry about getting tortured for it.

What kind of God do I believe in? That is actually very difficult to answer to tell the truth. it cuts deeply into my religious beliefs and view of the world. But I'll try to explain in a way that makes sense. I believe in a kind understanding generally benevolent god, that is all knowing, all powerful and omni present. Yeah sounds like your typical Christian, sorry. It's harder then it sounds to describe my take of god. I'll get back to you.

Post subject: Re: AVI vs. MP4 vs. MKV
PostPosted: June 18th, 2008, 8:07 pm 
Resident Scholar

Moved from viewtopic.php?f=18&t=399&start=15

Mmsven wrote:
42317 wrote:
Besides, you don't need to be rude to Caiobrz, calling him a "boy" and more or less subtly suggesting he was stupid or something just because his opinion is sort of conservative.

Have you ever read any of Caiobrz's posts? He does that shit all the time. I would say he deserves whatever negative comments he recieves.

My moral standards work differently. What you say is, put into a bigger context, like argueing that terror suspects don't deserve fair trials and should be stripped of all basic human rights because they cut off people's heads in front of a camera (remember Koda Shôsei!). But an eye for an eye will leave a world of blind people one day. Being a bit more temperate and a bit less emotional in conversation saves a lot of trouble, that's my policy.
Putting it rather extremely you might say that I recommend not to lower oneself to the level of the offensive opponent, to remain on higher moral ground. Counter-attacking with equally foul language will lead to nothing positive.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2008, 10:12 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
My moral standards work differently. What you say is, put into a bigger context, like argueing that terror suspects don't deserve fair trials and should be stripped of all basic human rights because they cut off people's heads in front of a camera (remember Koda Shôsei!). But an eye for an eye will leave a world of blind people one day. Being a bit more temperate and a bit less emotional in conversation saves a lot of trouble, that's my policy.
Putting it rather extremely you might say that I recommend not to lower oneself to the level of the offensive opponent, to remain on higher moral ground. Counter-attacking with equally foul language will lead to nothing positive.

If a psychopathic murderer corners you in a room, he has a knife, you have a gun, would you shoot him or try to run away?

If you witness the death of your other half, or your best friend, or a family member, do you call the cops and let him escape, or kill the murderer?

PostPosted: June 19th, 2008, 6:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
If a psychopathic murderer corners you in a room, he has a knife, you have a gun, would you shoot him or try to run away?
If you witness the death of your other half, or your best friend, or a family member, do you call the cops and let him escape, or kill the murderer?

Those are extreme cases. If something happens to a loved one as you described I have no idea what I'll do. How could I? My friends say my ability to remain calm under stress was bordering on the inhumane, but it would be pretty bold stating this or that since you never how how you will behave under such a shock.

What I do know due to certain experiences is that I will fight if cornered. If I have the superior (because: ranged) weapon I will ask him to give up. If he doesn't I'll paint the wall with his brains. That's an act of self-defense and has nothing to do with reason.

Post subject: Re: Philosophy
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2008, 11:30 pm 

HMMMM more talk of voilance.

I don't have the time tonight to read everything so I'll answer mmsven's question. I'd shoot the guy, I've been trained in the matrial arts for years, I don't think I'd hestitatre beyond a second. Though I have to say I'd shoot him in the shoulder or the knee then demand his surrender. If he refused or attacked or tried to run, I'de shoot him in his other three limps. No need for me to sink to his level when I can beat him with non leathal means.

As for terrorist. well . . . . :shifty: :sigh: How do I put this that won't get me in trouble or misunderstood? I believe the current philophy of see the terrorist: kill the terrorist, don't see terrorist: find terrorist: kill terroist, is fine. But fundalmentally you're only killing the symptom not the cause. Cause for terrorizum in Middle east, poverty, lack of education, the fact life is not fair and the first world contries are the easiest to blame since our living status are completely different. Europe did the same durring the crusades, it's easier to blame an outsider then blame your neighbor.

As for first world domestic terrorists, they're all idoits. Violance rarely changes anything for the better. The best way is to use the system that already exists to get what you want. Rubble does not make a stable foundation.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 4:44 pm 
Resident Scholar

Does the loss of religious tradition pose a threat to the moral integrity of a modern secular society?

PostPosted: May 5th, 2009, 2:39 am 

42317 wrote:
Does the loss of religious tradition pose a threat to the moral integrity of a modern secular society?

Only if the tradition was the only thing keeping the society moral. I find religious hypocricy to be a far greater threat since I have met many "religious" people who feel that their faith give them the right to be rude or that their good behaviour most of the time justifies bad behaviour occassionally. Even the teachings of religion derive their basis from fundamental morality, right?

I have no religous tradition, but I have a higher moral code than many who do. Perhaps I'm just projecting my personal bias...

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 12:25 am 
Major Contributor

PunkDaddy wrote:
Only if the tradition was the only thing keeping the society moral. I find religious hypocricy to be a far greater threat since I have met many "religious" people who feel that their faith give them the right to be rude or that their good behaviour most of the time justifies bad behaviour occassionally. Even the teachings of religion derive their basis from fundamental morality, right?

I have no religous tradition, but I have a higher moral code than many who do. Perhaps I'm just projecting my personal bias...

Where does your sense of "higher moral code" come from though if not from religion? Or to put it in another way, where does your morality come from if not from religious doctrine? It seems to me that without some sort of objective moral authority (that most people term as "God"), morality cannot exist. Unless you're trying to argue that morality is somehow not objective.

In any case, I think moral decay is a natural result when society decides to eradicate it's religious traditions. This has already happened in much of Europe, and it's slowly happening here in the US. Certainly some traditions need to be changed in our modern society, but we need to realize that the core values of our modern society were founded based upon age-old traditions. The foundations of democracy and individual freedom for instance is based upon the concept that all are born equal (i.e. everyone has fundamental rights because those rights are God-given and hence should not be deprived by the state). In fact, the very basis of "equality" even in our modern sense of the word has clear religious origins.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 9:02 am 
Resident Scholar

Oh hi, Spaz, I was waiting for you. :D

spazmaster666 wrote:
Where does your sense of "higher moral code" come from though if not from religion?

Tough one. Religious heritage is so ingrained in almost every society that even the most hardcore atheist will have problems not finding the basics of his ethical behavior in religion.

Or maybe... hen or egg?
Did morality come from religion or was religion born from "universal" standards of morality?

I do think that morality is rooted in the fear of reprisal.
You treat me respectfully or I'll rearrange your haircut with my whackstick.
No... more general... in order for a prehistoric society/tribe to survive there neded to be rules of behavior I guess... hierarchy granted organization and coordination, increasing survivability. When organized religion appeared some time later it further solidified the notion that following rules makes a community stronger for the survival of the fittest. It is not surprising that the most successful empires of history were the ones that handed down the most persistant judicial principles and that the introduction of a new religion into some societies has brought forth advances in many aspects. At least for a time.

spazmaster666 wrote:
Unless you're trying to argue that morality is somehow not objective

It's objective, universal?
Aren't there phenomena or behaviorisms that are totally accepted in one culture but taboo in another?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next