Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Intercultural Experiences
PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 6:48 am 
Resident Scholar

I've found a very interesting text yesterday... or actually my girlfriend found it and sent it to me and I explored the website further and found more interesting intercultural stuff.

:arrow: Bumps and Jolts
:arrow: Dining out
:arrow: DUI experience

I would like to add "Rolling up one's sleeves".
According to my experience, when Americans roll up their sleeves they're about to relax.
When Germans roll up their sleeves they're about to start working.

As you can see these pages deal with German/American differences. If you know other websites about interculturality and cultural comparisons (no matter what countries) please share.

Post subject: Re: Intercultural Experiences
PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 12:05 am 

http://www.understandfrance.org/France/Intercultural.html#ancre1509329

I found this website to be informative. The web page discusses Cultural differences (mostly with stereotyping) between France and America. I am not sure how much of this is true but I would have to disagree with some of the stereotypes about what Americans think of the French. I never thought of the French as dirty or lazy. How can I when I personally have never been to France or know any french people.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 3:00 am 

42317 wrote:
I've found a very interesting text yesterday... or actually my girlfriend found it and sent it to me and I explored the website further and found more interesting intercultural stuff.

:arrow: Bumps and Jolts
:arrow: Dining out
:arrow: DUI experience

According to my experience, when Americans roll up their sleeves they're about to relax.

As you can see these pages deal with German/American differences. If you know other websites about interculturality and cultural comparisons (no matter what countries) please share.

Very interesting! I like how Germany handles the DUI, but I can see how painful it is. When does a typical German learn about the consequences of DUIs? As you might have guessed by our culinary thread, my favorite article was the dining out article, but I feel ripped off because when I went to Munich, we had so few of the tasty-sounding dishes mentioned!

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
http://www.understandfrance.org/France/Intercultural.html#ancre1509329

I found this website to be informative. The web page discusses Cultural differences (mostly with stereotyping) between France and America. I am not sure how much of this is true but I would have to disagree with some of the stereotypes about what Americans think of the French. I never thought of the French as dirty or lazy. How can I when I personally have never been to France or know any french people.

I ran out of time tonight reading about Germany, so I'll have to tackle France some other time. However, I remember my mom telling stories of when she traveled on the 3rd class trains from Switzerland through France into Spain in the 60's and how many people didn't seem like they bathed before boarding the train... I haven't been to much of Europe, so I don't really have an opinion, just a memory...

I also distinctly remember being told of how funny it can be to watch a Spanard talking with an Englisman because their internal sense of personal space is so different. The Spaniard, seeking intimacy steps forward unconsciously, the Englishman, wanting more personal space, unconsciously steps backwards... And so forth. Has anyone witnessed anything similar first hand?

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 7:56 am 
Regular

42317 wrote:
though i am canadian i have never heard an american nor canadian use this phrase to mean that they are about to relax. it is meant that they are getting ready for hard work.

interesting read, though if i were to generalize on my many meetings of people. the only thing i noticed with germans is something similar to japanese. they rave about their stuff. i know a couple japanese girls who will only buy japanese products and nothing else because, "they are the best". i have only met a few germans and they too think very highly of anything german made.

though i also find that other cultures say the same thing too about japanese/german products...
similar how some people only buy expensive things because it is the best...

i do know from personal experience that when i charge more for something, people appreciate it much more than if i were to charge less... go figure. the human mind is interesting.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 8:10 pm 
Resident Scholar

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:

This is interesting, in a way... but it already says in the headline that it is about stereotypes. Which, in turn, makes it fun to read, because it's not stereotypes sold as reality.
Yes, there are also interesting parts that are not about stereotypes... like the paragraph about body language. It suports the notion that Americans need more space than other people (from smaller countries I suppose).

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
I never thought of the French as dirty or lazy. How can I when I personally have never been to France or know any french people.

That's how clichées and stereotypes and, actually, prejudice works. Let me give you an extreme example: During the first years of NS dictatorship in Germany, if I am not mistaken, a poll was conducted, designed to find out about antisemitism. The study found that antisemitism was highest in areas where there were no Jews!

Well, of course! If everybody on this planet had the chance and the will to actually meet and get to know people from a country/region/race allegedly full of hostiles they would learn that these are not demons or anything but just normal people and ethnic hate would virtually cease to exist.

PunkDaddy wrote:
When does a typical German learn about the consequences of DUIs?

Good question. In driving school and in many other places they keep telling you "just don't drink and drive!" Driving teachers tell you about the bad points you gather for this and that, once you have three points on your record you have to retake the driving exam... like disregarding a red traffic light will earn you three already... and if I'm informed correctly, if caught driving, a blood alcohol level of 0.5 ‰ will have you your license revoked for about two months, after which you'll just get it back and that's it. Maybe it'll also earn you a point, I'm not sure.

But I'd have to say that the guy who described his experiences was an extreme case. I mean, c'mon, 1.6 ‰, that's a lot. A person who only drinks an occasional beer or two with friends will probably already feel the influence of alcohol at 0.3 ‰. To even reach 1.6 you either need to drink hard stuff, quickly, or you need "training". You know, if you're used to drinking you don't get drunk so quickly, i.e. you don't feel it so severely. I'd most likely puke before I reach 1.6, and should I ever reach it I doubt I could even crawl far, so I don't feel any compassion for the guy.

punkdaddy wrote:
I remember my mom telling stories of when she traveled on the 3rd class trains from Switzerland through France into Spain in the 60's and how many people didn't seem like they bathed before boarding the train...

Old stories... in Germany we have an idiom, like, "to wash oneself the French way". I might have mentioned this before... it means just using deodorant instead of water and soap.

punkdaddy wrote:
The Spaniard, seeking intimacy steps forward unconsciously, the Englishman, wanting more personal space, unconsciously steps backwards...

I heard that "I need my space" thing about US Americans. I think over here "AT Fields" are at about a radius of one meter. If someone steps closer you begin to feel kinda awkward.
I use this tactic to "shove" chatting people away from supermarket shelves the contents of which I would like to buy. This way I don't have to bump into their chat, they'll just step aside.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 10:05 am 
Resident Scholar

I stepped on something interesting, so to speak... toilet paper. Used toilet paper.
In a comparative sense of course. :mrgreen:

So far I thought the use of toilet paper was only divided "stylistically" between men and women.
Men don't use much toilet paper, while women use a lot.
Or so I thought. I've occasionally talked to friends about this matter and came to the conclusion that men fold three or four sheets, three to five times at the end of a sitting, while women make several "gloves" out of substantial parts of a roll, applying ten times as many sheets. (Or whatever you call the single components.)

So much for my convictions, but how's international reality?
How do you use toilet paper for its destined purpose?

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 2:03 pm 

42317 wrote:
So much for my convictions, but how's international reality?
How do you use toilet paper for its destined purpose?

Myself, and a group of close friends had a discussion about this once. It started most likely out of a joke, but transformed in a real discussion. Out of the group, majority of guys folded only a few sheets...While majority of the women wadded up to ten or fifteen sheets. :blink:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 4:15 pm 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
majority of guys folded only a few sheets...While majority of the women wadded up to ten or fifteen sheets. :blink:

Thanks for sharing that.
You others, too, have no shame... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2009, 9:51 pm 

I wad haha maybe not as much as 10-15 sheets, more like 4-5.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 7:45 am 
Resident Scholar

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:

Could you come over for a while and educate my girlfriend?
I offer free board and lodging. :D

PostPosted: October 8th, 2009, 10:29 pm 

42317 wrote:
PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:

Woohoo! I'll be on the next plane out! :0:-):

PostPosted: October 10th, 2009, 1:03 pm 
Resident Scholar

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
42317 wrote:
PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:

Woohoo! I'll be on the next plane out! :0:-):

You're welcome.
But leave your slugthrower at home, we are a bit more sensitive about such things over here. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: October 14th, 2009, 1:19 am 

Hehehe, I use 2-3 squares usually and fold it several times. I freaked when my wife (then my girlfriend) started making the glove. She was so surprised that I was so frugal, but it became this wierd bonding experience for us. Of course, it helps that her ex-husband used to spend all of her money, so the idea of a ultra-cheap-bastard-boyfriend turned out to be quite appealing for her. :lol2:

Good luck 42317!

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: November 25th, 2009, 9:41 pm 
Resident Scholar

I don't exactly know where to post this... but I guess it fits into this thread.
Here's a blog entry about Germans and the internet and how a certain journalist is influencing public opinion these days.
A clear case of "palm to the head". :roll:
But it's not like he was a vastly popular and influencial figure (I have never heard of the guy), so please don't believe Germany's gonna outlaw internet connections anytime soon. :P2:

PostPosted: November 26th, 2009, 3:04 pm 

I read that Blog 42317 and i have to ask..is this how you spend your time in front of the compuer?

"Lying on an IKEA rug in their sanierte Altbau apartment, on their stomachs, with a Laptop in front of them, having a Latte Macchiato that has a cute cocoa heart on top of the milk froth, with a dementedly smug smile on their faces caused by all that sweet convenience the internet brings to their lives."

I couldn't resist when I saw that portion of the blog. :twisted: