Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Space shooter engine
PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 2:07 am 

Mmsven wrote:
42317 wrote:
Is there a reason why I can't hear any sound?
Imho sound is more important than background story... a shooter can do without the latter, but never without the first. Apart from sound effects such a game needs a musical score. The works of Chris Huelsbeck were always among my favorites.

The problem is that I haven't written the story yet. I don't know what kind of atmosphere I'm going for. I also need to find someone else who can do it for a small price.

We had to talk to the brother of our artist who is a professional musician. It still cost us almost $1k because they needed a recording studio. If you want really inexpensive, you might need to approach music students still in a university since they may have access to equipment at a low cost. Music is a bit wierd though, unless you're talking about a Danny Elfman level, quality and price are not totally related. Get a demo and definitely don't pay in full until they deliver a master.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 8:15 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mmsven wrote:
Done the current engine version! I made the video, but I totally sucked at playing AND at showing off the features. Atleast I got it in HD this time. See first post for that.

I have to say it looks pretty good Mmsven. Looks a lot more solid this time around, and adding two player was a good move for those looking to wing through it with a buddy.

Of course, it may just be that I really enjoyed all those comments of yours throughout :lol: You could add some of that humor to your story to give it some comedy if you're going for something not deadly serious.

Mmsven wrote:
My next course of action is to write the story and plan everything out extensively, including some innovative mechanics.

How much of a finished product would you say the V2 video is? At least in terms of gameplay and the "look and feel" of how it will be in the actual released game?

And ya, some music would be pretty awesome. Maybe you could find someone who does halfway decent work and get them to do it for free for the honor of being featured and advertised as having done the music for your game. Everyone starting out wants to get their name out there, maybe you can get it for free or the small price you were talking about. Would certainly give it some flair to have an awesome kicking track to destroy some spaceship ass to :mrgreen:

42317 wrote:
The works of Chris Huelsbeck were always among my favorites.

Now that's some kickin old school goodness 8)

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 1:31 pm 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
Of course, it may just be that I really enjoyed all those comments of yours throughout :lol: You could add some of that humor to your story to give it some comedy if you're going for something not deadly serious.

A lot of those were just references to other things. I never was one for comic relief.

Acmurphy wrote:
How much of a finished product would you say the V2 video is? At least in terms of gameplay and the "look and feel" of how it will be in the actual released game?

Everything in terms of gameplay and balance are subject to change until I plan everything out. I know what makes a good game, and I won't let my game dwell with the crap that most people make.

The options and base mechanics are the only things that are permanent for now.

Acmurphy wrote:
And ya, some music would be pretty awesome. Maybe you could find someone who does halfway decent work and get them to do it for free for the honor of being featured and advertised as having done the music for your game. Everyone starting out wants to get their name out there, maybe you can get it for free or the small price you were talking about. Would certainly give it some flair to have an awesome kicking track to destroy some spaceship ass to :mrgreen:

Luckily there are some composers that work cheap on the GMC. I've heard some pretty decent tracks from their samples.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 2:49 am 

With Acmurphy prompting me about our game, it makes me curious about yours- How is it coming? Did you find a musician yet?

I assume you are developing for the PC, but do you know if your game would work on the iPhone too? We just were approved as an iPhone developer (so you know it's really easy to get approval :mrgreen: ), and our game looks like it won't need any programming tweaks, just content tweaks for the iPhone. My guess is that the controls for your game will be considerably more complicated than our game however...

In any case, I hope your game is progressing well!

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 3:29 am 
Post Master

PunkDaddy wrote:
With Acmurphy prompting me about our game, it makes me curious about yours- How is it coming? Did you find a musician yet?

I haven't been working on it since the last update because I've been keeping myself busy with other things. Once summer hits I might be able to start working on planning everything. I'm not looking for a musician right now because I haven't written the story, and I'm not far enough in development.

PunkDaddy wrote:
I assume you are developing for the PC, but do you know if your game would work on the iPhone too?

Even if my game went from 8 buttons to one button, there's no way in hell it would work on the iPhone. This game is being developing natively in 1080p, so going down to 240p, or whatever it uses, would obscure everything. Most of the features I've implemented would be useless, from settings to coop. And unless the iPhone accepts EXE's, there's no way I could even put it on there. If I did, it would be drowned with the tons and tons of crap on their service.

I have never considered the iPhone and Ipod Touch to be game platforms. They are jokes.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 2:35 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:

I haven't been working on it since the last update because I've been keeping myself busy with other things. Once summer hits I might be able to start working on planning everything. I'm not looking for a musician right now because I haven't written the story, and I'm not far enough in development.

Makes sense. Good luck this summer then.

Mmsven wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
I assume you are developing for the PC, but do you know if your game would work on the iPhone too?

Even if my game went from 8 buttons to one button, there's no way in hell it would work on the iPhone. This game is being developing natively in 1080p, so going down to 240p, or whatever it uses, would obscure everything. Most of the features I've implemented would be useless, from settings to coop. And unless the iPhone accepts EXE's, there's no way I could even put it on there. If I did, it would be drowned with the tons and tons of crap on their service.

I have never considered the iPhone and Ipod Touch to be game platforms. They are jokes.

:lol: Yeah, that is so true. Can you tell I'm a marketing guy? :mrgreen: To me, even though there's tons of crap already available for them, I see it as less than the amount currently available for the PC and a way to stand out a little. However, your argument regarding resolution and controls certainly trumps all other issues.

I'm not sure about the EXE issues because I'm not on our programming side, but apparently while our game is being developed for the PC, it will still be compatible with the iPhone. If you wanted, I could ask our programmer for details and let you know. However, judging from your tone, you'd rather be bitten in the nuts by a rabid squirrel! :P2: Let me know if you ever want more details though.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2009, 5:31 pm 
Post Master

PunkDaddy wrote:
To me, even though there's tons of crap already available for them, I see it as less than the amount currently available for the PC and a way to stand out a little.

The difference is that you can market PC games and people will know it's good. Trailers and such things are powerful.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2009, 6:57 am 
Post Master

So now I am going to start actually designing this game. Crazy, eh? I didn't know what the fuck I was doing when I started this project. I wasn't sure if I had what it takes, didn't take it seriously, but ever since my last update I knew this project could happen. Recently I have been playing a lot of games and it has helped me identify what I want. Most recently I have played Burnout Revenge and Burnout Paradise, which were both fucking terrible. I wrote a list of guidelines I will be following based on my experience.

1. Good Design: Give the player a motive to be playing. (eg. Save the princess)
The Burnout Way: Race for the sake of racing. IT’S TOTALLY FAST DUDE! (Revenge and Paradise)

2. Good Design: Reward the player upon completion by providing a sense of closure.
The Burnout Way: Scroll the credits once the player completes a sufficient amount of events, completely destroy any sense of progression by removing the history of completed events, then provide another task that requires the player to play through the whole game again, thus artificially extending length. (Paradise)

3. Good Design: Make no gameplay elements that are sacrificial of others.
The Burnout Way: Make it ultra fast, easy to crash, then add a mountain of rubberband AI to compensate for the unbalance. (Revenge)

4. Good Design: Make gameplay elements that differentiate it from other games in the genre.
The Burnout Way: Make a shittier version of Midnight Club and Need For Speed. (Paradise)

5. Good Design: Make skill and intelligence the only factors determining the player’s success.
The Burnout Way: Make it contextual luck and trial-and-error, both the result of having unbalanced speed coupled with navigational freedom. (Revenge and Paradise)

6. Good Design: Introduce new elements and scenery throughout the course of the game.
The Burnout Way: See everything in the first hour and keep repeating. (Revenge and Paradise)

7. Good Design: Give the player some direction.
The Burnout Way: Play the nearest event, then the next nearest event, DO IT AND LIKE IT DAMNIT! (Paradise)

8. Good Design: Create clear goals providing a challenge.
The Burnout Way: Give the player a choice to play through the whole game without challenge by never requiring to adequately clear an event. (Revenge)

I will be writing more in the future. I have also written a large list of random life concepts which I am going to use to brainstorm possible ways to implement them into a game. I do not accept mediocrity.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 2:23 pm 
Resident Scholar

I like your ideas, especially "give the player direction"... I guess because I do not understand how one would give a player "direction" in a space shooter.

Have you considered multiple choice advance paths?

"Your wingman has been lost in space due to engine failure. Will you
a) Lead a mission to rescue him
or
b) Postpone the rescue and attack the enemy's command ship before it slips away?"

Of course that will probably double the time and work needed to create levels, but I always found such shooters terribly linear, with actual performance having no whatsoever impact on how the storyline (if existent) develops.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 11:38 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
I like your ideas, especially "give the player direction"... I guess because I do not understand how one would give a player "direction" in a space shooter.

If I were a bad game designer, I would do it exactly like Burnout Paradise: Have an overworld where the player has access to every mission in the game from the start. But every mission would be equally difficult in terms of enemy layout, and every time you beat a mission the enemies themselves would get stronger. That idea sucks, and also leaves no room for a story.

Some of these things are hard to screw up but it's nice having reminders anyway.

42317 wrote:
Of course that will probably double the time and work needed to create levels, but I always found such shooters terribly linear, with actual performance having no whatsoever impact on how the storyline (if existent) develops.

That would create problems. Unless I made a tree of levels, every split would be required to come back together before the next. That would prevent having a diverse storyline, and also rule out scoreboards.

PostPosted: August 18th, 2009, 7:48 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
42317 wrote:
That would create problems. Unless I made a tree of levels, every split would be required to come back together before the next. That would prevent having a diverse storyline, and also rule out scoreboards.

I think it does not have to be a "tree". Any side missions can lead back to the main path eventually, can't they. E.g. the player could find a defensive tool in the one mission or an offensive too in the other.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2009, 11:01 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
I think it does not have to be a "tree". Any side missions can lead back to the main path eventually, can't they. E.g. the player could find a defensive tool in the one mission or an offensive too in the other.

I will think about it. I just can't imagine how I would explain how doing a certain level would get you a offensive or defensive weapon.

Also, I've started working on coding my engine again. I'm doing another revision, but I'm focusing more on making the code efficient (removing repetition) and everything easier to modify.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2009, 4:47 am 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
I just can't imagine how I would explain how doing a certain level would get you a offensive or defensive weapon.

There might be enemy research facilities, supply camps, space stations, "airfields", and what have you. Many possibilities where military equipment might be stored. When the player gets to choose one of two missions he can find one kind of tool in the one mission and a different kind of tool in the other.
Is that so unimaginable? :P2: