Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragonball Kai
PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 12:02 pm 

Anyone been watching this remastered series? So basically Dragonball Kai is the Dragonball Z series but remastered for HDTV. Now the quality is a bit better than the original but I was still disappointed. The story will be re-cut to follow the manga, so the story will be shorter but there is no word how many episodes there will be. The 3rd episode of Dragonball Kai ends where Dragonball Z episode 5 ended. That will give you a little information on the re-cutting. So far, just the voice actor for Goku is what I do not like....every annoying.

I am seriously thinking of getting these episodes as they are fansubbed and burning them to a dvd and make my own collection.

Anyone else watching this?

Post subject: Re: Dragonball Kai
PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 1:29 pm 

I'm not watching it yet, but after what you said I might not anyway. I'll stick to the old Dragonball Z shows (they make me feel nostalgic). Plus shorter isn't always better, I like it that Dragonball Z Season 1 has 30+ episodes with it the only annoying parts are when they take 1 full episode to power up just to defeat the enemy.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 6:52 pm 
Post Master

I definitely plan on checking it out. Dragonball Z is such an addictive series but some parts are just damn ridiculous in their length and repetition.

I'm probably going to start watching tonight actually, the first anime I'll have watched in quite a long time.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 7:12 pm 

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
I like it that Dragonball Z Season 1 has 30+ episodes with it the only annoying parts are when they take 1 full episode to power up just to defeat the enemy.

Yes, powering up took forever and that is a big thing that is removed in Dragonball Kai. None of the original story is altered. The only thing removed is the useless filler episodes, powering up times, and a few other small changes to make the story like the manga.

Its like Naruto, I hate the anime because it uses filler episodes and flashbacks to delay it until the manga gets some distance. That is not the way the creator of Naruto wanted it.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 7:19 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Hmm... I've heard about this before and at first, I thought that DBZ should have stayed dead since it was already over and the fandom needs to die down a bit too. But I thought about it some more and I don't think it's such a bad idea. I think having a shorter and remastered version of DBZ would be much better because it would reduce the amount of filler episodes by a lot, character development would be more focused and everything else is straight to the point. I might consider giving it a chance. If only there was a remastered version of Sailor Moon in the making, that would be great, or ever better yet.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 8:27 pm 

I watched one episode on Veoh w/subs just to see what it was like. I only watched a few minutes of it, but I will say I like this opening song a lot more. Bardock's voice just didn't sound right, it sounded too girly. Goku's voice was pretty bad too, but all in all it was interresting. I think I'll just watch both the original DBZ and this Dragonball Kai.

Last edited by PrfsrSnapesAngel on April 26th, 2009, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 10:18 pm 
Regular

hmm...haven't watched it but I am glad that they're cutting the filler down.

The first saga is ridiculous long compared to the manga.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 10:39 pm 
Post Master

I just watched the first 2 episodes. The dub is fucking god-awful. This is definitely the worst Japanese dub I've ever heard. As for "remastered", the music sounds great, but the visuals look the same or even worse. On the 2 different 720p downloads I tried, it is incredibly blurry and has washed-out color. It looks terrible even when I stretch it to half size.

I won't be continuing.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 10:41 pm 
Major Contributor

Cab329 wrote:

Agreed.

Off-topic:
WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING ON YOUR AVY CAB?!?!? :blink:

It strangely reminds me of Watto from Star Wras Episode I, but with a pig's nose and a beefy chin.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 11:21 pm 
Regular

Gojira wrote:
Cab329 wrote:

Agreed.

Off-topic:
WHAT THE HECK IS THAT THING ON YOUR AVY CAB?!?!? :blink:

It strangely reminds me of Watto from Star Wras Episode I, but with a pig's nose and a beefy chin.

It's Kilowog from the Green Lantern Corp. Don't insult him or he'll drop a aircraft carrier on you. I just read Sinestro Corps. War and Kilowog kicked a lot of ass.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 11:26 pm 
Major Contributor

Cab329 wrote:
Gojira wrote:
It's Kilowog from the Green Lantern Corp. Don't insult him or he'll drop a aircraft carrier on you. I just read Sinestro Corps. War and Kilowog kicked a lot of ass.

Oh awesome! I never would have guessed. Only if he would have been pink in that pic, he'd be more easy to recognize. :lol: Dun worry, he's awesome in my book. 8)

Anyway, I might watch DBZ Kai sometime later and I wonder if it's available on Veoh with English subtitles.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 11:53 pm 

Gojira wrote:
Anyway, I might watch DBZ Kai sometime later and I wonder if it's available on Veoh with English subtitles.

*pokes Gojira* how bout you re-read my post to find out if it's on Veoh :doh: haha!

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 3:02 am 
Major Contributor

PrfsrSnapesAngel wrote:
Gojira wrote:

*pokes Gojira* how bout you re-read my post to find out if it's on Veoh :doh: haha!

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 3:51 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
zero_chaos wrote:
Anyone been watching this remastered series?

I've started watching the series as well. It's DBZ so I had to give it a shot, even if it is just a remastering/shortening of the original. Honestly, I can't tell much of a difference with the visuals compared to what it was before, but I didn't really expect it to have changed much. I mean, it's like 20 years old on hand drawn cels, how much can they do without just reanimating the whole damn thing? Which, would have been awesome I might add. When I was first watching the opening I was like, did I not understand correctly and they are actually cutting it down with all new animation?!?!?! Sadly, not quite :cry:

zero_chaos wrote:
The story will be re-cut to follow the manga, so the story will be shorter but there is no word how many episodes there will be. The 3rd episode of Dragonball Kai ends where Dragonball Z episode 5 ended. That will give you a little information on the re-cutting.

I've read that they are looking at the remastered series being 100 episodes long. So they would be cutting it down to about 1/3 its original length. The series gets much more prolonged and stretched out as it goes, so it's probably slowly being compacted at the start but once they get to like the freeza fight they can probably cut like 25 episodes out of that and such. *I do believe 100 is an official number.*

zero_chaos wrote:
So far, just the voice actor for Goku is what I do not like....every annoying.

Well, I was always disappointed that they had a woman voice Goku in the Japanese version. Now I watched almost the whole series fansubbed and with each episode being about 60 megs (about 8 years ago, those were good times!), so their voice acting was sort of the least of my concern compared with actually seeing what the heck was going on :lol: . But over that time I became very accustomed to it so it doesn't really bother me anymore. Still should have had a man voice Goku, I'll never get that one :roll:

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 7:09 pm 
Newcomer

Well women voice male characters a lot. Kid Gohan in the English dub was voiced by a woman. Ed Elric, Early naruto Uzumaki(first series not sure about shippudan oh and believe it! thats for you Gojira). There millions of other male characters that are voiced by female characters. Oh and Gojira I swear that's the last time I will do that.