Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime of the Month
PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 2:28 am 

42317 wrote:
There's something on my mind but I'll remain quiet until I have enough data from the series... 8)

Please inform me to what that is...I really want to know since I am getting frustrated with the series.

Episode 3, tank problems are numerous and the action bored me to the point of fast forwarding bits and pieces of it. The characters and the animation are keeping me from dropping the show. I will hang on for three more episodes and if I still feel this way then I will drop it for good.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 10:25 am 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
42317 wrote:
There's something on my mind but I'll remain quiet until I have enough data from the series... 8)
Please inform me to what that is...I really want to know since I am getting frustrated with the series.

Once I'm able to watch ep. 03... sorry for the wait... :diss:

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 12:06 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
zero_chaos wrote:
Episode 3, tank problems are numerous. The characters and the animation are keeping me from dropping the show.

What new tank problems arose with this episode? Other than them outfitting it for underwater travel, which is plausible I suppose. Or was it just the continuing color and roomy inside that got your goat?

zero_chaos wrote:
the action bored me to the point of fast forwarding bits and pieces of it.

The battle lasted for all of two minutes, I really don't know what you had to fast forward through :lol:

Episode 3 was certainly slow, slowest so far for me, and the action at the end happened very quickly. They keep largely killing the technical aspects of the battles when they are actually fighting by choosing to have the basic setup beforehand and then during the actual battle the tank just goes gangbusters (and now everyone else) and it's over in no time. There's no "in battle" strategy necessary, or at least no discussion or time given to it. Maybe it's the hours toiling away trying to setup the tank and characters perfectly to get the kills that makes me long for more to these battles than just the simple, have a plan rush in and in a minute it's done type of fighting.

Next episode looks like it's going to have zero battles... hopefully they'll have some good content in there, and with Alicia blushing all over the place, it's possible. Wish the last episode had some more fighting to it though it they were going to go all out with the no battles in episode 4 :diss:

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 12:22 pm 

Acmurphy wrote:
What new tank problems arose with this episode? Other than them outfitting it for underwater travel, which is plausible I suppose. Or was it just the continuing color and roomy inside that got your goat?

The underwater travel was something that I hated and I really don't see 42317 liking it either.

Quote:
The battle lasted for all of two minutes, I really don't know what you had to fast forward through :lol:

I meant to say that I found the action scenes to be very boring, so I did not expect the rest of the episode to be anything worth watching in normal speed. :roll:

Don't think of me as someone who just likes action anime. I just want the story of the anime I am watching to make up for the lack of action.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 2:16 pm 
Resident Admin

zero_chaos wrote:
The underwater travel was something that I hated and I really don't see 42317 liking it either.

What about it did you find so distasteful? Just curious, hate is quite a strong emotion.

zero_chaos wrote:
I meant to say that I found the action scenes to be very boring, so I did not expect the rest of the episode to be anything worth watching in normal speed. :roll:

So, as long as I'm getting this straight which is arguably up in the air, if the episode's content isn't worth watching at normal speed, you don't want to watch the action scenes because you find them boring, and the action scenes are putting you off so much that you're skipping through the rest of the episode in some type of vicious, never ending cycle of skipping and speed watching, what are you getting out of it? I mean, I just don't know what's keeping you going, you should cut your losses and go watch some Eden of the East or something! :gatsu:

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 2:49 pm 

Acmurphy wrote:
What about it did you find so distasteful? Just curious, hate is quite a strong emotion.

I know realism in anime is not something you see often(i.e, giant robots, magic, etc) but I just did not enjoy a scene with a tank going underwater. It seemed childish, really don't know how to explain it further.

Quote:
what are you getting out of it?

Not much as of this moment. :roll: I feel the character and possible story has potential and I am not one to just abandon something when things are down. I really want the series to be good and interesting. Trust me if I thought the show had no potential or was going nowhere I would not be sticking with it. I am just hoping that the series has to get over the introduction of characters and storylines before it becomes good.

I personally hate a lot of beginnings. The majority of anime has the main character(s) accepting their situation and that takes time. I would much rather be thrown into the story and have to understand what is going on myself without having to see the character deal with the painful task of understanding the situation themselves. Provide flashbacks of the main character(s) later after the series has been established if you want me to see them coping with the situation.

Examples: Berserk :gatsu: , the opening has us spending a day(or night rather) in the main character's shoes and then after that showing how it all lead up to that. I loved that. Fullmetal Alchemist is the same way with showing us a day in their lives and then showing us how everything got to be where it is. Those first episodes are like icebreakers. They give us something cool to look forward to. Brings up interesting questions and builds on characters. Then in the flashbacks we get to understand why they feel and act the way they do.

I know it is a personal thing. There has been anime that I enjoyed later on in the series despite the slow introductions. I feel Valkyria Chronicles is going to be one of those. Of course I can be totally wrong.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2009, 3:38 pm 
Resident Admin

zero_chaos wrote:
Acmurphy wrote:

I know realism in anime is not something you see often(i.e, giant robots, magic, etc) but I just did not enjoy a scene with a tank going underwater. It seemed childish, really don't know how to explain it further.

I was just curious because, often, I find there are certain titles where I could really care less about the things they do in it and others where it angers me when they do something unrealistic. I think it does usually follow along with the feel a series is trying to give off, like in Black Lagoon when, for example, Revy jumps from one boat to another moving at full speed and she easily clears like a 25 foot distance and doesn't seem to have any drag while in the air, she just glides right on over. I may not have the same type of problem with Valkyria Chronicles because, while all the battles and such seem to be very WWI/WWII-ish, I know in not much time the equivalent of (minor spoiler that really won't spoil much) magical powers will come into play. And with that knowledge in mind, maybe it just doesn't bother me that the tank is driving underwater or the color is blue and such because I have already disbanded my disbelief and have moved to how enjoyable it is rather than how much the finer points make real world sense.

zero_chaos wrote:
Not much as of this moment. :roll: I feel the character and possible story has potential and I am not one to just abandon something when things are down. I really want the series to be good and interesting. Trust me if I thought the show had no potential or was going nowhere I would not be sticking with it. I am just hoping that the series has to get over the introduction of characters and storylines before it becomes good.

Well I wish I could give you more detail on where it goes, but at the current rate I have only made it in the game to about episode ~8 in the series so while there are some large developments that happen over that time, it's more revelations than development of either the characters or the events.

zero_chaos wrote:
I personally hate a lot of beginnings. The majority of anime has the main character(s) accepting their situation and that takes time. I would much rather be thrown into the story and have to understand what is going on myself without having to see the character deal with the painful task of understanding the situation themselves. Provide flashbacks of the main character(s) later after the series has been established if you want me to see them coping with the situation.

I think it doesn't matter so much to me which way they go about it because I am more beginning neutral. Whether they start out slow or throw me into it, chances are I'm going to finish it regardless :roll: But aside from that I suppose I care more about how well they get things going at some point than how much they suck me in at the start. I can hardly think of any starts I have actually disliked, Texhnolyze and Soultaker are the only two that really come to mind. I also seem to be easily amused so one can never be too sure about any of this :lol:

zero_chaos wrote:
I know it is a personal thing. There has been anime that I enjoyed later on in the series despite the slow introductions. I feel Valkyria Chronicles is going to be one of those. Of course I can be totally wrong.

It is, but that's what makes us all unique. How we like things and how we respond to different setups and situations. We can hope Valkyria Chronicles will be one of those and will pick up sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: April 28th, 2009, 5:42 pm 
Resident Scholar

Finally, episode 03... I'll make it as short as possible.

1. The captain is female, which is okay, but all the "squad leaders" are male? Now that's a bit too strange if we're talking about ten or twelve people around the table.

2. They are not squad leaders - they are "Shôtai-chô" = "platoon leaders". The first translation stupidity.

3. The subs must have been written by an ignorant and stupid American. My fellow American board members please don't feel offended due to my use of a clichée, but when they (the subs) referred to a city as "Vasel" I had to knock my head onto the table, because the Japanese pronunciation is clear enough being "Basel" - which is a major city of Switzerland, and as long as I don't see them write it wrong in the show (as opposed to the subs) I will still say that you need to be stupid to never have heard of Basel. :roll:

4. Could it be that these Docusen people are an allusion to Jews? I'm just wondering because of the prejudices dating back to mythical times...

5. Haha... the tank... okay, so it drives under water. I was far more amused by its ability to climb this sheer angle! I guess this quay wall had about 120°, maybe a little more, but looked steeper than 135°. That was pretty ridiculous.

Zero_Chaos might be surprised but in this case I approve of the underwater tour. Why? Because tanks can drive under water. Well, modern tanks can, because they're airtight. WWII tanks could not.
Even modern tanks can only "dive" if they have a snorkel of sorts, but that is because they're running on fossil fuels which need a good amount of oxygen. In the case of "Valkyria" it seems like they're using something else as a propellant. Whatever it is, I remember a glowing, grill-like device at the back of the tanks and concluded it was a part of the engine, so I guess Valkyria tanks do not need oxygen, thus they could drive submarine.

I happen to have some pictures taken by myself in 2005:
Attachment:
Leopard2 Dive.JPG
Leopard2 Dive.JPG [ 141.03 KiB | Viewed 1572 times ]

PostPosted: April 28th, 2009, 9:42 pm 

42317 wrote:
Haha... the tank... okay, so it drives under water. I was far more amused by its ability to climb this sheer angle! I guess this quay wall had about 120°, maybe a little more, but looked steeper than 135°. That was pretty ridiculous.

I do not remember seeing that, perhaps it was during my fast forward moment. :lol2:

Quote:
Zero_Chaos might be surprised but in this case I approve of the underwater tour. Why? Because tanks can drive under water. Well, modern tanks can, because they're airtight. WWII tanks could not.
Even modern tanks can only "dive" if they have a snorkel of sorts, but that is because they're running on fossil fuels which need a good amount of oxygen. In the case of "Valkyria" it seems like they're using something else as a propellant. Whatever it is, I remember a glowing, grill-like device at the back of the tanks and concluded it was a part of the engine, so I guess Valkyria tanks do not need oxygen, thus they could drive submarine.

I was assuming that those tanks were powered by a normal tank engine(one requiring oxygen) But I do remember those glowing devices on the back of the tank, they were blue I believe. Good point, did not think of that.

Quote:
I happen to have some pictures taken by myself in 2005:

Very cool pictures, I wonder what happens if the tank must cross a deeper river. :lol2:

PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 1:03 am 
Resident Admin

Yes, the tank is powered by either ragnite or ragnoline (the blue crystals on the back). I suppose the latter is just a refined version of the former, and is also one of the reasons why the Empire is attacking Gallia, since it's supposed to be very rich in ragnite. That being the case, one could assume that oxygen may not be a necessary element in it's function, though I have no idea why they basically leave it exposed on the back of the tank. Never did figure that one out.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 2:49 am 

42317 wrote:
3. The subs must have been written by an ignorant and stupid American. My fellow American board members please don't feel offended due to my use of a clichée, but when they (the subs) referred to a city as "Vasel" I had to knock my head onto the table, because the Japanese pronunciation is clear enough being "Basel" - which is a major city of Switzerland, and as long as I don't see them write it wrong in the show (as opposed to the subs) I will still say that you need to be stupid to never have heard of Basel. :roll:

Addendum: Ignorant, stupid and TYPICAL American. :oops: Myself included. I don't know Basel. *sigh*

As for the drive, the only reason one should leave it open would be if it was not vulnerable. Perhaps the crystals are unbreakable? That sounds rather dumb though... Maybe it just looks too cool for the animators to resist leaving it exposed. Having worked with animators, on occassion, certain sacrifices of realism must be made for the sake of coolness. Not that it's not dumb...

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 5:04 am 
Resident Admin

PunkDaddy wrote:
As for the drive, the only reason one should leave it open would be if it was not vulnerable. Perhaps the crystals are unbreakable? That sounds rather dumb though... Maybe it just looks too cool for the animators to resist leaving it exposed. Having worked with animators, on occassion, certain sacrifices of realism must be made for the sake of coolness. Not that it's not dumb...

In the game the crystals on the back are a weak point on the tank (along with the treads), which is why it's all sort of strange to have them in plain sight on the back.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 6:13 am 
Resident Scholar

PunkDaddy wrote:
42317 wrote:
3. The subs must have been written by an ignorant and stupid American. I will still say that you need to be stupid to never have heard of Basel.
Addendum: Ignorant, stupid and TYPICAL American. :oops: Myself included. I don't know Basel.

I'm sorry to hear that. I did not want to tread on anyone. Basel is surely not as known as, say, Zürich, Geneva (because of the convention of that name), or Bern (capital).
:arrow: Basic information about Switzerland
:arrow: Homepage of Basel

Acmurphy wrote:
In the game the crystals on the back are a weak point on the tank (along with the treads), which is why it's all sort of strange to have them in plain sight on the back.

Maybe it's the cooling system?

PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 8:02 am 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
Acmurphy wrote:

Maybe it's the cooling system?

Could be, but I'm pretty sure that's the power source. Maybe they'll expand upon it later in the series because I can't say for certain at this point.

Just for reference, I have never heard of Basel either (or at least have no recollection of it being a city in Switzerland even if I have heard of it before). But I thank you for the presumption that I am somehow stupid because of it :?

Downloading episode 4 now, we'll see if this one turns out to be interesting in spite of its lack of action. Or at least what looks like a lack of action from the preview.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 8:34 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Just for reference, I have never heard of Basel either (or at least have no recollection of it being a city in Switzerland even if I have heard of it before). But I thank you for the presumption that I am somehow stupid because of it :?

Okay, sorry, it's half around the globe, that's at least a good excuse.

Say, can you name a few US cities of 200,000 citizens for me? I'd like to see whether I have ever heard of them. I'll probably not know most of them, but I want a comparison. If I'd ask you about the top 20 cities or the capitals of the states that would be cheating in a way because knowing the major US cities is not an art, it's not difficult.
Put it in a suitable existing or new thread if you like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next