Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Computer Problems, Need Some Help.
PostPosted: January 31st, 2009, 11:48 pm 

Gojira wrote:
42317 wrote:
Thanks again for letting me steal some of your time.

And you better gimme back my time or else your knees will have an appointment with Mr. Baseball Bat. Image
j/k :lol:
Don't worry. He can buy it for you too... given that you're a believer of the labor theory of value.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Time_Store

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 5:51 pm 
Resident Scholar

After the crash a few days ago, my computer ran smoothly for a few days, and the day before yesterday again gave me headaches: "Primary Boot Device: None".
So it wouldn't boot. I exchanged the hard drive, to no avail. The problem must lie elsewhere.
Today I awoke and had an idea: Went into BIOS, disabled the option "primary boot device" and switched the "secondary boot device" from "CD-ROM" to "HDD-0", the original setting of the primary boot device.
And it works, to my very surprise. No strange noises, no complaints about drivers and STOP commands... it seems too easy... maybe I should activate the Omega 13...

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 6:06 pm 

42317 wrote:
And it works, to my very surprise. No strange noises, no complaints about drivers and STOP commands... it seems too easy... maybe I should activate the Omega 13...

You did the right thing, but I am curious on why it give you a boot error in the first place. How/why did it crash?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 7:15 am 
Resident Scholar

Hailing from the library! :lol: :crap:
My little trick worked for two days, but it seems like my computer is gradually breaking down... switching to the Secondary Boot Device doesn't work anymore. I was able to get Valkyria ep. 03 and convert it, but later in the day, for some reason... the machine either freezes within 15 minutes after booting or it doesn't boot at all.

zero_chaos wrote:
You did the right thing, but I am curious on why it give you a boot error in the first place. How/why did it crash?

I have no whatsoever idea about the technical backgrounds and implications.
All I can say is that the computer never crashed but always froze. The mousepointer (is that the word?) was still working, but there was just nothing to click anymore, the icons didn't show any reaction to my clicking. Furthermore, when I turned off the power to force a restart it never gave me the usual hard disk check, like it usually should after a crash. It seems like the system never even realized there was a crash (i.e. my switching it off).

Alright, as far as I can see I have not lost any data. Since a different hard drive (with a working OS on it) did not improve the boot up situation I assume that there is no problem with the drive, so all I should need to do is plant it in another computer.
I just cannot afford a computer... hm... I can work in the library. All I'm missing is my games... and a good deal of my Anime soundtracks... and any participation in activities that include downloads of the torrent sort.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 12:37 pm 

Its hard to troubleshoot a problem like this since it could be a number of things. I would make sure all you data is backed up someplace and maybe see if you can use system restore to go back to a previous date when everything was working. If you still have problems you could try and do a fresh install.

Also, how much free space do you have on the hard drive? And how much RAM is installed?

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 2:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
I would make sure all you data is backed up someplace

Yes, by removing the hard disks from the frame. I can't burn a backup if that's what you mean. Even if the system miraculously managed to boot there'd be no guarantee that it wouldn't freeze during burning. No, I'll try and ask friends whether they have old computers left, since I know a few guys who'll buy computers not because the old one was broken but because they can't play the latest games. :roll:

zero_chaos wrote:
If you still have problems you could try and do a fresh install.

But that's what I just did a few days ago...

zero_chaos wrote:
how much free space do you have on the hard drive? And how much RAM is installed?

There's 1 GB of RAM, and, uh... how much free space... I dunno... on c: there's only WinXP, three games, and a number of additional programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, WinZip, ACDSee, two video players... there should be more than 30 GB free space out of 40 I suppose.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 4:27 pm 

42317 wrote:
There's 1 GB of RAM, and, uh... how much free space... I dunno... on c: there's only WinXP, three games, and a number of additional programs like Firefox, Thunderbird, WinZip, ACDSee, two video players... there should be more than 30 GB free space out of 40 I suppose.

Well, I would just Google search all you symptoms and you should get something. Again, its hard to figure the problem out with actually seeing what is going on and working with the system.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 8:04 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
Hailing from the library! :lol: :crap:

Uh oh! :doh:

42317 wrote:
I just cannot afford a computer... hm... I can work in the library. All I'm missing is my games... and a good deal of my Anime soundtracks... and any participation in activities that include downloads of the torrent sort.

Seems your computer has won this round! :crap: At least it doesn't look like your drive crapped out and lost your data, just some sort of hardware failure. Sounds like what happened to my friend, whose computer would freeze after being on for varying amounts of time (from 5 mins to a couple hours). He never did find out exactly what the problem was, but he switched his processor with his brother's, who had the same processor type, and both their computers work fine now. They are a strange beast these computers...

Looks like it's time to start saving for that new computer. If I remember correctly, you had an older computer, so getting one mildly better than it was shouldn't run you too much money. Unless you are looking at getting a more state of the art comp this time around, but that doesn't seem quite like you :P

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 10:15 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Unless you are looking at getting a more state of the art comp this time around, but that doesn't seem quite like you :P

Not quite. It just needs to run the usual work programs, Baldur's Gate II, Combat Mission 2, Axis & Allies, and other oldies.
I should take a picture of my computer casing for sentimental reasons I guess (a friend "individualized" it for me).

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 11:33 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
Not quite. It just needs to run the usual work programs, Baldur's Gate II, Combat Mission 2, Axis & Allies, and other oldies.

Not looking to move up into the newer games 42317? Sticking with the oldies but goodies?

42317 wrote:
I should take a picture of my computer casing for sentimental reasons I guess (a friend "individualized" it for me).

Hmm, *wonders what this "individualized" stuff entails* you should take a pic of it.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2009, 3:02 pm 
Resident Scholar

Hailing from back home!

A friend happened to hold a 1.8 GHz computer in reserve and let me borrow it.
Despite almost every (hardware) part of the new configuration being, well, new, it showed some glitches, leading me to the opinion that my GeForce 5500 was failing me. I was also able to obtain another card (Matrox - never heard of that), which seemingly is not giving me headaches by system crashes while playing videos and such stuff.

An attempt to format my former 40 GB C: drive failed... for some reason the system crashed right in the middle of the process... it's being looked into and I hope there's no physical damage. Now I have had a loss of data, my e-mails of the last 18 months or so. Pity, but I have seen worse... and mails from professors and PhDs are safely on the university's server... I need not complain much. So far it's only a major inconvenience.

Acmurphy wrote:
Hmm, *wonders what this "individualized" stuff entails* you should take a pic of it.

Haha, I will... soon. :lol2:

PostPosted: April 29th, 2009, 6:53 am 

42317 wrote:
Hailing from back home!

A friend happened to hold a 1.8 GHz computer in reserve and let me borrow it.
Despite almost every (hardware) part of the new configuration being, well, new, it showed some glitches, leading me to the opinion that my GeForce 5500 was failing me. I was also able to obtain another card (Matrox - never heard of that), which seemingly is not giving me headaches by system crashes while playing videos and such stuff.

An attempt to format my former 40 GB C: drive failed... for some reason the system crashed right in the middle of the process... it's being looked into and I hope there's no physical damage. Now I have had a loss of data, my e-mails of the last 18 months or so. Pity, but I have seen worse... and mails from professors and PhDs are safely on the university's server... I need not complain much. So far it's only a major inconvenience.

Acmurphy wrote:

Haha, I will... soon. :lol2:

Wow, a Matrox graphic card... are they still producing??
In the old days, before it all became a duopoly between GForce and ATI, there were curious brands such as Matrox, Number Nine Graphics (or something like that), Creative made graphic cards too... actually, picking configurations in the old days was fairly complicated.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2010, 9:02 am 
Resident Scholar

Is there a freeware alternative to Windows Movie Maker?
I downloaded the latest DivX version, since then my Movie Maker crashes as soon as it's touched by a video, and I can't do any vids for YouTube if I don't have a video processor.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 1:01 pm 
Resident Scholar

Windows Movie Maker is back in action... for some reason it works again.
Now it's FRAPS making problems with taking screenshots: If I press the button 100 times during a video I will eventually only receive the same four initial screenshots all over again. It's weird. Getting a different version did not help either. I might need something else for screenshots.

More important: Does anyone know of an efficient, dry way for cleaning a computer keyboard? My keyboard has been serving me for more than 10 years now and it works fine, but it looks a little yucky. :sweat:

PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 12:57 pm 

42317 wrote:
More important: Does anyone know of an efficient, dry way for cleaning a computer keyboard? My keyboard has been serving me for more than 10 years now and it works fine, but it looks a little yucky. :sweat:

A can of compressed air always works well. I also recommend you pop off the keys to do this. I try and clean my keyboard every month but it doesn't always work out that way. :booyah:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next