Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Official Thread: Contest Suggestions
PostPosted: February 12th, 2009, 4:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Adam_Adamant wrote:
What about an anime or game pitch, A title and a synopsis of a title that doesn't exist but you'd like to less effort than a short story contest.

Done thoroughly this will take as much time as a short story... and it will be just as complicated.
I don't think that 400 words will do, because in a short story, you just shove characters into the spotlight, but upon writing a concept for a series you will not just need plot and action, but also well-developed characters. Explaining their backgrounds and motivations might need some serious effort because two-dimensional characters don't win contests.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2009, 5:49 pm 
Resident Scholar

We are still in "dire need" for ranks to be displayed in the member list.
Wouldn't it be a fun contest to think up a hierarchy, titles you gain by writing more and more posts?
It could be free thought or limited to a certain topic.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2009, 6:15 pm 

I think 42317 has a good idea, titles earned by more posts. Maybe it might bring some more activity to the forum as long as the posts are well written and not just one lined sentences.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2009, 9:10 pm 

Believe it or not..its what drove me and others to have so many posts on the old boards..the wanting to reach the level where you could make up your own title!!!

So yes..it would promote more posts in my opinion :lol2:

PostPosted: March 31st, 2009, 9:18 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Fresnokila wrote:
Believe it or not..its what drove me and others to have so many posts on the old boards..the wanting to reach the level where you could make up your own title!!!

So yes..it would promote more posts in my opinion :lol2:

Then come join the discussion! viewtopic.php?f=17&p=15782#p15782

PostPosted: March 31st, 2009, 10:17 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Gojira wrote:
We could have a role-playing tournament, where contestants battle each other for the prize. How about that? I know, some of you think it's stupid, but it's just a suggestion. That's all.

^ What he said. :P

So how about, Boss? It's different and more engaging than having people vote for something, instead users pick which anime, movie, video game, etc characters they want to role-play as and battle each other to the death (not really, but it sounds more dramatic). The winner of the tourney shall receive the prize that you have selected.

More description about how the RPG battle tourny works coming soon...

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 2:13 am 

I still like the idea of a story competition. (At least another one).

Doing role playing games, board games, etc requires online engines and servers that take a long time to set up and load. That's why contests are hard. Correct me if I'm wrong about this. (cause then I'll offer up chess as an option for competition :D ).

Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2009, 6:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
We could have a role-playing tournament, where contestants battle each other for the prize. How about that?

How would that look like? "Role-playing" is an ambiguous term.

The "game option" could imply giving statistical values to characters and have them fight with dice (or a random number generator) and a fixed skill rule set.
That's difficult because we need comparable statistical data which someone would have to think up... which all of us would have to think up and coordinate, given the sheer quantity of different characters out there.

The "dialogue option" would be easier and more fitting to a forum, but still hard to handle:
Have people assume the personality of a certain character, toss a topic at them and let them discuss it in character... you know, like an elaborate piece of homework: "Write a dialogue of 600 words between Martin Luther King and Karl Marx about individual freedom."
Or in our terms: "Choose your Anime character and discuss the pros and cons of concealable melee weapons with the others".

That is at least what I can imagine that you could have meant. :|

PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 3:34 pm 

42317 wrote:
elaborate piece of homework: "Write a dialogue of 600 words between Martin Luther King and Karl Marx about individual freedom."
Or in our terms: "Choose your Anime character and discuss the pros and cons of concealable melee weapons with the others".

That is at least what I can imagine that you could have meant. :|

I certainly hope its not the first option. I don't want to have to repeat English 101 again! :shock: As for the Anime character option... wouldn't we wind up having theoretical discussions about why this mecha character or this samurai character, or this special skills character will win in a fight against one another? :?

Why not just have a roll-playing game where you actually get to choose the characters and have them duel. :roll:

Then again, if no such game exists online without mass purchasing of software, we can always resolve to play a mahjong tournament. :P

PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 7:17 pm 
Resident Scholar

AMDS wrote:
As for the Anime character option... wouldn't we wind up having theoretical discussions about why this mecha character or this samurai character, or this special skills character will win in a fight against one another?

Have you seen this already:
Evangelion Unit 00 vs XXXG-01W Wing Gundam ?
That what you meant?
I find the concept rather tiring.

AMDS wrote:
Why not just have a roll-playing game where you actually get to choose the characters and have them duel.

Have them duel? By what means?

Post subject: Re: Contest Suggestions
PostPosted: April 12th, 2009, 5:36 pm 

42317 wrote:
Have you seen this already:
Evangelion Unit 00 vs XXXG-01W Wing Gundam ?
That what you meant?
I find the concept rather tiring.

Yes. As do I. :?

42317 wrote:
Have them duel? By what means?

There's a plethora of video games that involve fighting characters from various anime shows. However, these are game console games and probably would not work across the internet unless each person that plays owned a copy of the game (which is not the case on animetric, hence the chess suggestion :roll: ).

PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 12:31 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Oh my laziness. Sorry for not being specific about my idea. I was thinking of having an RPG Battle Tournament that is similar to the Arena thread at the forums I go to, where users choose their characters and opponents, have a ref to set the match, and post their attacks on each other.

Here's the rules. (To give you an idea how it works)

And here are some of matches I've been in and thought were my best (even if they're not really completed):
My first match and victory.
My first defeat.
An epic match that I did not complete. (though I was proud of my attack descriptions)
Another match that I did not finish, but my text keeps getting better and better. :lol2:

I hope that it explains it for now, cuz I'm a bit lazy to go in depth atm. (Homework and moodiness are to blame :wink: )

PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 1:06 am 

Gojira wrote:
Oh my laziness. Sorry for not being specific about my idea. I was thinking of having an RPG Battle Tournament that is similar to the Arena thread at the forums I go to, where users choose their characters and opponents, have a ref to set the match, and post their attacks on each other.

:shock: ....wow.

Perhaps too exiting for my taste. I may die of a heart attack from that kind of texting angst! :P

Seriously though, is the idea of online board game competitions a possibility for animetric?

PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 6:19 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Gojira wrote:
I was thinking of having an RPG Battle Tournament that is similar to the Arena thread at the forums I go to, where users choose their characters and opponents, have a ref to set the match, and post their attacks on each other.

I just can't see any point to such a battle system. Not that we can't do them if people are interested (such as the previously done Eva vrs. Wing thread), but that's up to whomever is interested in such a thing. And I fear we have neither the quantity of people nor the level of interest in such a battle system to really have it actually go anywhere. So until there's more people and more interest, we can just leave that up to any individual thread that would like to be created for such a battle.

AMDS wrote:
Seriously though, is the idea of online board game competitions a possibility for animetric?

Sure, but I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. I mean, if you want to talk to people on the forum (start a thread or something) and find those who're interested in online board competitions and play against them that's perfectly fine. Or do you mean some sort of battle setup where 16 people play till only one remains as the winner of, say, chess? Making a thread to track the winners and losers. (If you're talking about something else then you will have to elaborate). Any of which would be perfectly fine if you can find people who're interested. I just don't know exactly what part of this requires action by yours truly.

PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 7:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:

:sigh:
That's the same thing!
The only difference is a bit more story-telling and a referee who decides on the winner by more or less common sense.

I like numbers, skill points, ability scores, what have you.
Consider this: A referee creates a list of random numbers, let's say 200 numbers between 1 and 20.
These numbers represent D20 rolls.
Whenever a character announces an action, his attempt receives the next number as a roll.
When two people fight the same list of random numbers is shared by at least two referees, one supervising the match and the other one supervising the rolls. The second referee only interfers in case of an error by the main referee.

But to get this rolling the characters need comparable stats, like hit points, damage dealing, a skill system. And that's some work, because it will be hard to compare capabilities of totally different universes, like, say, SonGoku versus Lina Inverse. Even existing systems which say they were compatible have some strange points: There's a Project A-ko RPG and a SailorMoon RPG, both based on the so-called "Three Stats System". Without going to much into detail let me quote that Super SailorMoon's "Moon Gorgeous Meditation" attack deals more damage than a cannon of those tanks as seen in Project A-Ko...

Without loads of creative and time consuming efforts we can have fights between people within the same system/universe, like between Cyberpunk characters or between Dungeons and Dragons 4 characters (just examples because I have the respective rule books). Urashima Keitarô versus Godzilla still has a long way to go...