Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anime of the Month
PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 5:01 pm 

Yes it's on the second post I believe...and I haven't seen you online lately :wtf:

Ha anyways saw first ep...I actually liked the credits more than the opening..the opening had nothing special whatsoever to distant itself from all other similar openings....now the credits were amusing...
I also noticed the shadows being made as Gankutsuou's clothing...like Acmurphy said..ha...and the animation and art looks very clean..ha...quite ok..the preview for the second ep looked better...it's not bad but not superb either...
Besides that it starts off very slowly but like I said..the second ep looking much better... :lol2:

Well thanks to how the ep ended and the preview for the next..this series has my attention...hopefully it stays that way...and since I have no idea about the game and probably will never play it...I'm watching this series from a different view...

(Oh and some characters I saw from the opening look so much alike characters from other animes...ha...I hate when that happens)

And last...

Quote:
I didn't really expect the first episode to knock me out of my seat

For real? :?

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 5:36 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Ya, the fighting tactics were really... not so good in this episode. Hopefully they'll come around a bit better later on. I will forgive the women for wearing miniskirts as their uniforms though :nose:

42317 wrote:
But they prefer sitting behind the front yard hedges like idiots...

Come now 42317, everyone knows hedges stop bullets and grenade blasts! :lol:

42317 wrote:
There's a slight problem: I can't tell. It's like this:
I downloaded both versions, just in case there was a problem with one. Okay, good idea, but I was having problems with both. Picture and sound were asynchronous, with the sound running normally while the animation kinda lagged. In both versions.

Hmm, that's odd. I didn't have a problem in that respect, at least with the one I watched anyway. I wonder what it was that fouled it up for ya. Though it must be nice to be able to actually watch it without subs and still know what they're saying :bow:

zero_chaos wrote:
So much to read above^, is the link to the eps above? I will join you guys on this one too.

Ya, it's in the second post under relevant links.

Fresnokila wrote:
now the credits were amusing...

The credits were amusing I'll give you that. But I wasn't much a fan of the song.

Fresnokila wrote:
(Oh and some characters I saw from the opening look so much alike characters from other animes...ha...I hate when that happens)

Which characters and who do they remind you of?

Fresnokila wrote:
For real? :?

lol, well ya, it's the first episode. They have to set up the basic premise, storyline, world elements, major characters, etc., which makes the episode information heavy, especially for an RPG adaptation, and typically slows the pace down. I mean, I don't really go into any series expecting the first episode to wow me (it's certainly impressive if it does), I just hope it's interesting enough to keep me wanting to see more, to get to the episodes when the series is in full stride. Of course, with this episode I already knew everything that was going on and all the characters and events, so it didn't have the same sort of flair of being introduced to new characters and a new world as it otherwise would have had. Though, with all that, it's impressive that the episode didn't feel slow to me.

Now you've got me thinking about first episodes that really impressed me... maybe I'll make a thread about it.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 10:40 pm 
Lurker

Just watched the first episode, and let me say I know/knew nothing about this, I didn't even know it was a game originally.
Anyways, the first episode review.

The animation is rather clean and nice looking, the shading on the clothes nice as well.
Nothing too interesting or exciting in the first episode as expected. The introductions of characters was as usual and that seemed like all episode really was. Nothing else that stands out really comes to mind other the Imperials closing in and start the attack.
Episode 2 looks like it will more exciting.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 2:25 pm 

Hmm. Both the anime and the premise of this thread sound soo fun. But I'm reluctant to join in for two reasons. 1) So little time. 2) Its a torrent and I don't keep my computer on so I don't hold up my end of the torrent promise and I'm a bit paranoid about viruses. I know it's a pretty pathetically low risk, but right now I only have one computer for work and for play and I can't afford for it to go down... Plus since I lost my job partially due to downloads (but mostly due to executive stupidity), I feel a bit awkward watching the fansubs... Not awkward enough to stop me, so that doesn't count as a full reason. :)

I'll see how others enjoy the series and maybe get tempted around episode 5 or 6... Perhaps if this style of thread does well, there will be enough interest for an "old school" anime of the month that's out on DVD in all regions. Then I'd have less excuses.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 3:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Though it must be nice to be able to actually watch it without subs and still know what they're saying :bow:

Haha, Valkyria is relatively easy for me because I'm into the vocabulary, war topic and all.
GaRei Zero on the other hand was a nightmare because they used so many buddhist/esoteric terms and formal language :shock: , a no-go without subs.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 9:50 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
I just got done watching the first episode of Valkyria Chronicles on Veoh and I have to say I'm really liking what I'm seeing here. Even though I haven't played the game, nor do I care (doesn't have a PS3) but I'm willing to watch the anime version of it. Alrighty then, count me in on this one.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 7:38 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Alright, episode 2 is out, hooray!

They pick up pretty much right where they left off. Welkin, Alicia and Isara all hop in the tank and speed off to town. I have to say the tanks really look good, especially while they're moving around. They really kept up the detail on them high. Since there really weren't any specific traits of the tank in the game, and you upgraded it as you went along, they gone with this being a super prototype tank with better handling, speed and armor deflection (sloped armor or something, 42317 probably knows the term :D). I can see why they decided to go with that, considering there had to be some reason for these relative noobs to live long enough to get better, but it handles like a sports car :lol: Anywho, I was hoping for more of a battle at the beginning with the soldiers outside but I suppose that was unrealistic with the numbers they had, so much of the battling takes place later on. It's actually pretty good, it's what I had been waiting for. Some of the tactics are still suspect, like enemy soldiers standing around the sides of a tank just out in the open against an entrenched enemy. The hilarious part is how hard the good guys fail even while they are in sandbagged positions, I guess the soldiers knew they didn't have anything to worry about from the town watch :doh:. Slight bits of humor between Welkin and Alicia are nice, and break up the seriousness of the battles/situation, but I am growing tired of the fainting girl and I hope they sort of move he out as the new crew of squad 7, most of whom should be introduced in the next episode, start taking center stage.

This episode again seemed to breeze bu for me. I start it and it seems like the sucker is ending! I did like the episode though. Got some fights in there, tank battles, story progression (though not a whole lot and right at the end), and less little children and spy shenanigans. Plus, the next episode=tank submarine, booyah :gatsu:

PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 4:17 pm 

Well saw the second ep too..and I have to say I'm still watching it only because the previews for the next ep seems interesting..as it did with the first...
The actual ep itself only had the battles going for it...I mean I can't seem to like the main characters at all...the animation itself seems a bit lazy (ha especially when I saw the fire on the windmills) and it seems they waste their effort on the cgi...

But thats my opinion..again...I haven't played the game...this was going to be my last ep 'till I saw the cast for the next ep....hopefully I'll like them...
Again...it's the characters for me...the quick change of moods of Alicia is kind of annoying...can't find her likeable...
Only that biology guy..the main character (forgot name now) seems to be interesting from the way he plays with his words..making him sound the wisest yet not at the same time (if you know what I mean) :lol2:

Well here's for more battles :yummy:

The only bits I find good....

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 1:31 am 
Lurker

Watched episode two, and the battle can basically sum up the episode. The Edelweiss tank was different to see in action against the Imps. Alicia joining the Militia was no real surprise, neither was her running into Welkin.
The next episode has potential seeing a new cast of characters that may be introduced.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2009, 6:30 pm 
Resident Scholar

Saw episode two, nice episode, I'll leave the praising to you because I couldn't add anything new.
I can only talk about military stuff. :roll:

Edelweiss... funny name, it being a rare flower and all...
Why is that tank blue? Even light blue!?
Does anybody realize that light blue is the color that the human eye can see best, brighter than even white in badly illuminated situations, like dawn or dusk? You bet the armies of the world have a reason whay they paint their tanks in other colors... :D
Furthermore Isara's tank seems huge inside. I guess it was designed to be operated by three people, but there's space for at least five or six. Either a waste of raw materials (bigger = higher production costs) or the designers were overly interested in what a tank looks from the outside and forgot the inside: A tank does not have a steering weel. All the rest is missing... there should be batteries, ammo, controls, maybe a radio, the lock of the gun. These things are damn tight places.
A thing about grenades: There is a scene in which a shell scratches the tower and is deflected into a nearby house, blowing up a part of the wall. Uh, no sir. You shoot tanks with armor piercing shells... in the early days heavy projectiles with a super hard core, be it an alloy or tungsten. AP shells do not explode... they just make holes, that's all. Last but not least, a high explosive round would not have been deflected by the armor... it would just explode, leaving a mark on the surface and a big impression on the operators' ears...

Anyways, I'm enjoying it... :mrgreen: waiting for ep. 03.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 8:37 pm 

Ok, I watched episode 1 and I am really liking what I see. The story shows promise but its the animation that really got me into this show. I might be able to watch the second ep tomorrow night. And hopefully I will be able to comment more on the second episode. Fyi, Its been 4 days since I watched the ep so I can't remember too might to talk about. :roll:

PostPosted: April 21st, 2009, 4:23 am 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
Fyi, Its been 4 days since I watched the ep so I can't remember too might to talk about. :roll:

You kinda miss the purpose of this thread. :lol:

PostPosted: April 21st, 2009, 7:08 pm 

42317 wrote:
You kinda miss the purpose of this thread. :lol:

I will correct that mistake. Just watched episode 2.

Quote:

I hate the color as well, and you made a great point about it. A blind person could see the tank, but apparently trained soldiers can not take it down.

Quote:
A tank does not have a steering wheel.

That was the first thing I noticed and it made me a little mad. I want real tank controls. I also did not know that tanks can turn 180 degrees in an instant. :roll: So aside from all the military problems I like the anime so far. The action needs to be better, not necessary more action, just better.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 12:00 am 

So I finally watched the first episode and I rather liked it. I was a bit worried it may be boring, but it kept me entertained. I really liked the characters along with their personalities. The animation didn't seem too bad and I rather like the style of everything from the guns to the clothes. I think i'll look forward to seeing how the rest of this series unfolds and what sort of characters appear.

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2009, 7:38 am 
Resident Scholar

zero_chaos wrote:
Quote:
I hate the color as well, and you made a great point about it. A blind person could see the tank, but apparently trained soldiers can not take it down.

I'll be watching more episodes before I say more about "taking out an überpowered tank".
There's something on my mind but I'll remain quiet until I have enough data from the series... 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next